2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by bigappleram »

Don’t trust anything that Coaching Changes puts out on twitter it’s all rubbish.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Payne was a member of their 86 championship team with Purvis E

He was a longtime Kentucky assistant
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Kind of surprised by this. Louisville’s insane expectations ran off a good one in Mack, so I thought Louisville would have been hell bent on going the splash hire route.

Payne does have a strong track record as an assistant at Oregon and then Kentucky for a decade and now the Knicks but this feels underwhelming for Louisville, especially since he’s never been a HC.

Not many success stories off the Calipari coaching tree either. Barbee, Kellogg, Antigua, Flint, Pastner. A lot of average to really bad in that group.

I wonder what the reaction would be on KB if URI hired this guy? Probably lukewarm?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It seems like a big part of the allure was he was on successful teams there, so I'd say the best comp for this type of hire might be either Wheeler or Reynolds-Dean. Would we be lukewarm on hiring one of them?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
Kind of surprised by this. Louisville’s insane expectations ran off a good one in Mack, so I thought Louisville would have been hell bent on going the splash hire route.

Payne does have a strong track record as an assistant at Oregon and then Kentucky for a decade and now the Knicks but this feels underwhelming for Louisville, especially since he’s never been a HC.

Not many success stories off the Calipari coaching tree either. Barbee, Kellogg, Antigua, Flint, Pastner. A lot of average to really bad in that group.

I wonder what the reaction would be on KB if URI hired this guy? Probably lukewarm?
Definitely seems underwhelming how many years his contract for and how much cash ??
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Following the UNC and Duke hiring model - keep it in the family. Davis, Scheyer and now Payne. I do wonder if he was their top target though or if they are settling for a backup.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Following the UNC and Duke hiring model - keep it in the family. Davis, Scheyer and now Payne. I do wonder if he was their top target though or if they are settling for a backup.
Can’t wait till we follow and hire Lamar.

:D
2 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Following the UNC and Duke hiring model - keep it in the family. Davis, Scheyer and now Payne. I do wonder if he was their top target though or if they are settling for a backup.
I almost wonder if you have to go with an AC, if you're at -that- high of a level. Like usually, Roy Williams from Kansas to UNC (one blue blood to another) is a rarity. If you can't do that, the next best option for the sky high expectations of those fan bases might be to just hire an unknown quantity with a lot of potential outcomes.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Pat Chambers to FGCU on a 5 year contract that will pay him $350,000 annually. It will be interesting to see how Chambers does at FGCU. Chambers looked to be a coach on the rise a decade ago but fell flat at Penn State.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports ... 034412001/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Could be a good landing spot for Chambers , he can rebuild his reputation at a lower conference after the ending at Penn St
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Pat Chambers to FGCU on a 5 year contract that will pay him $350,000 annually. It will be interesting to see how Chambers does at FGCU. Chambers looked to be a coach on the rise a decade ago but fell flat at Penn State.

Fell flat at Penn State??? What are you talking about? He was coaching at a football school with minimal support for basketball in a conference that is the deepest league in America. His last season there they were 21-10/11-9 and were going to the NCAA tournament before Covid hit. 2 years prior, they won the NIT. I wouldn't call that falling flat.

(Prior to PSU he had back-to-back 21 win seasons at BU, not exactly a basketball mecca. The guy can coach.)
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Pat Chambers to FGCU on a 5 year contract that will pay him $350,000 annually. It will be interesting to see how Chambers does at FGCU. Chambers looked to be a coach on the rise a decade ago but fell flat at Penn State.

Fell flat at Penn State??? What are you talking about? He was coaching at a football school with minimal support for basketball in a conference that is the deepest league in America. His last season there they were 21-10/11-9 and were going to the NCAA tournament before Covid hit. 2 years prior, they won the NIT. I wouldn't call that falling flat.

(Prior to PSU he had back-to-back 21 win seasons at BU, not exactly a basketball mecca. The guy can coach.)
I follow Penn State pretty closely because 2 kids and a son-n-law graduated from there.

Yes, they did win the NIT and would have gone to the NCAAT in 2020.
His upside was recruiting, the staff was able to bring in talented players especially from the Philly area.
The biggest knock against Chambers was the team's inability to close out games.

Between the allegations of inappropriate conduct and his 9 year conference record of 56-110, it was probably best that both parties moved on.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

I follow Penn State pretty closely because 2 kids and a son-n-law graduated from there.

Yes, they did win the NIT and would have gone to the NCAAT in 2020.
His upside was recruiting, the staff was able to bring in talented players especially from the Philly area.
The biggest knock against Chambers was the team's inability to close out games.

Between the allegations of inappropriate conduct and his 9 year conference record of 56-110, it was probably best that both parties moved on.
Well, I can tell you that you have to look at his record in context. He took over for Ed DeChellis who left Penn State after taking a senior laden-team to the NCAA tournament. That tells you all you need to know about Penn State basketball. DeChellis left for Navy because Penn State would not extend his contract. DeChellis understood that Penn State hoops is not a juggernaut and has down years...with the occasional good year. By getting a contract extension, DeChellis wanted an assurance that he wouldn't be fired after a down year. DeChellis was 41-95 in the Big Ten. Yet those who follow the conference would tell you he did a great job.

Chambers was in the same boat. Trying to win at a football school in the toughest basketball conference.

Inability to close out games?? Please.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Makes sense MCkie is an up and comer and played for the Cocks
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Travis Steele out at Xavier. Miller may be in the running, as could Mack.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Travis Steele out at Xavier. Miller may be in the running, as could Mack.
That makes sense poor Travis team collapsed down the stretch
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Could see that one coming. Covid or not if we aren’t happy after 4 non NCAA years in a row imagine the X fans. I’m surprised Butler hasn’t pulled trigger on Jordan.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Travis Steele out at Xavier. Miller may be in the running, as could Mack.
Weird timing as they won an NIT game last night, but they had been to 16 of the last 18 NCAA tournaments before Steele went 0 for 4 (assuming they wouldn't have made it in 2020), and never reaching the 20 win mark.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
Weird timing as they won an NIT game last night, but they had been to 16 of the last 18 NCAA tournaments before Steele went 0 for 4 (assuming they wouldn't have made it in 2020), and never reaching the 20 win mark.
Also never even finished above .500 in conference play, which is shocking for a place like Xavier.

He didn't deserve another year.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Imagine Dayton fans if Archie were to go to Xavier
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Think it'd be more likely Sean went to Xavier than Archie
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

The timing of this makes it seem like they were concerned that their top choice(s) were close to agreement elsewhere.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
Yeah I was thinking that also they won their NIT game , I hope they don’t want Mack back in case we are targeting him ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago The timing of this makes it seem like they were concerned that their top choice(s) were close to agreement elsewhere.
Yes. Musical chairs
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Anyone have a list with all the open jobs available???
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Seems like a deal for Archie has been done for days...let's hope so.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Anyone have a list with all the open jobs available???
https://es.pn/3vwj5Aj
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If this is true...then it's ECR for the win!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice job Rambone your sources seemed spot on
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..hopefully one coach out there getting off……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

From Xavier board. Take it for what its worth. What a rush!
Xavier.jpg
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Seems like a deal for Archie has been done for days...let's hope so.
rambone 78 don't tease me unless you mean it!

Do not tempt my addiction
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Seems like a deal for Archie has been done for days...let's hope so.
Could be the case and I am in agreement to hoping that is the case. This 14 day URI posting hire rules could hurt in this instance. It would provide other schools time to pursue him. Unfortunately I do not think Thorr can act until after next Friday 03/25/22.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Could be the case and I am in agreement to hoping that is the case. This 14 day URI posting hire rules could hurt in this instance. It would provide other schools time to pursue him. Unfortunately I do not think Thorr can act until after next Friday 03/25/22.
Are we sure this is even true? The 14 day posting I mean
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we lose Archie because of some stupid law, we deserve to play the rest of our games in Mackal.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Probably means he can't announce till then?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I'm dealing with cardiac issues. First of all can we make sure it gets done and secondly as quick as possible
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is enough to give anyone cardiac issues.....good luck to you Gio......
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago From Xavier board. Take it for what its worth. What a rush!

Xavier.jpg
I can’t read this too small what’s it say ??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
Are we sure this is even true? The 14 day posting I mean
Here's the posting:

https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/9617

Rambone saying that they don't have to wait until the end if they interview enough people is news to me. Not saying it's wrong, just not something I've heard
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I never heard anything about a certain number of interviews for a college hoops job , I know they have that in the NFL with the Rooney rule
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago From Xavier board. Take it for what its worth. What a rush!

Xavier.jpg
"I have been texted the following:

"Sean Miller to XU deal being finalized, numbers being negotiated now."
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago

Xavier.jpg
"I have been texted the following:

"Sean Miller to XU deal being finalized, numbers being negotiated now."
Let’s hope so as long as they don’t take our beloved Archie Miller
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens