Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Unread post by Rhody74 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago I now hate you guys, ugh, lol. I was hoping this was all just a smokescreen or something.

Get prepared to have a better team, I loved Archie.

This is better for the A10 though, since RI will be stronger now, so there's that.
I’ve always thought of Dayton as a program to emulate. Sold out 10k arenas night after night. Now we have that chance. Let’s hope URI fans are as supportive as Dayton’s fans.
5 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago Press conference is Monday at 10AM per projo
I’ll be there!
5 x
Slava Ukraini!
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago I now hate you guys, ugh, lol. I was hoping this was all just a smoke screen or something.

Tell us what we can expect from Archie !!
Good, crisp offense with no stupid shots...pack line defense...players play hard...the offense looks logical, organized, and purposeful and not just some streetball slop that somebody threw out there without putting much thought into it...he seems to look for/recruit guys that very much like to win/have an edge to them as part of their DNA/place a high value on winning which I suppose can potentially cause some behavioral/off-the-court problems...he is very tight-lipped/nondescript about giving injury updates/he is the Bill Belichick of college basketball in terms of giving injury updates.

This whole thing is making me a little sick. Ugh.
Hey Daytonflyerfan,

First, thanks for always being a gentleman/woman on this Board. I have followed your comments over the years.

I am glad you have a lot of good things to say about Archie. One of the many things I personally missed about Dan and even Andrea Hurley was their engagement with the fans/boosters. I know Archie reportedly got his name from his personality being somewhat Archie Bunker-like, but what can we expect from him as to fan engagement? Andrea Hurley was a big supporter of Coaches Against Cancer and did a lot of fundraising, so we saw her a lot in that role, and she was a surrogate mother to the team. While Mrs. Cox was somewhat engaging, she did not define herself with a charity.

Some might think that doesn't matter, but it was a lot easier for us to open our wallets when we were going to year end parties with the team, or season preview parties, which the Hurleys and AD hosted.
7 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Hello All,

As President, CEO, and SVP of the Archie Miller fanclub, we take these inquiries with the utmost sincerity and value providing our dear prospective fans with a detailed view of the impending rebirth of basketball in Kingston, RI.

We are aware of the destructive nature of similar threads on this board, so we ask that all conversation be strictly kept to the love, adoration, praise, of Mr. Miller, the hope of his impending phone number change to a 401 area code, and the conspiracy theory that will support this impending ascent to basketball glory in Kingston.

Ryan Joseph 'Archie' Miller was given a birthright to midwestern basketball royalty in October of 1978. Hailing from a legendary basketball family, with an older brother, they both played point guard for their dad - a legendary high school basketball coach for 35 years in Western PA, who won many championships. (sound familiar?)

Both Miller boys went on to play at high levels of basketball (sound familiar?) - Sean to Pitt and Archie to NC State. Their sister Lisa, also played D1 basketball.

Archie was a career 84% free throw shooter and 42% 3 point shooter for NC State and graduated in 2002.

Having been raised by a coach, looking up to his dad and brother for guidance, he moved up the ranks - an assistant at Western Kentucky, NC State, Arizona State, Ohio State, and then Arizona under his brother.

Archie then took his first rebuilding project on a Dayton. In his first year, he took the program to 20 wins after Brian Gregory left. 2 years later he brought Dayton to their deepest tournament run in 30 years, all with one marginal NBA player on the roster. Won 3 games and made the Elite 8.

The next year, with a roster decimated by injury - 6 scholarship players, none taller than 6'6 were shafted with a NET of 32 into the first four. From there they beat Boise and PC to advance to the "second" round where the lost a close one to Oklahoma.

He then followed the next two seasons with back-to-back NCAA births for 4 in a row in his 6 years at Dayton. The last 2 were a 7 seed. He won 2 A-10 conference titles and was A-10 COY. His teams averaged 25 wins once the program was rebuilt and played one of the toughest schedules in the country. They were the A-10 standard-bearer throughout his tenure.

He was then offered one of the best jobs in college basketball at Indiana.

His first year was a rebuild. His second year was a 1 seed in the NIT. His 3rd year was due to be an NCAA trip but Covid cancelled those plans. In 2021 2/5 starters were out for the stretch run and Indiana faltered. At Indiana, their fans believe it's 1987 and they have expectations that they should be in the final four every year. When internet gets to Bloomington, IN, they will be shocked at what has transpired in the decades since.

Their loss will be our gain.

What we will be getting is a pack-line, aggressive, angry defense. No one will get to the rim against this team. One of the best transition offensive systems in basketball, and a beautiful motion offense out of it. They try to avoid a half-court setup and try to score before the defense gets back. A fast break that would make Frank Keaney blush a bluer shade of blue than he ever blued.

Why this is a big deal? First, Archie is a BIG name in college basketball. His last name and his own accolades are very, very similar to a recent successful coach who roamed these sidelines. He was an assistant coach on team USA's U-19 world championship team with Ed Cooley. He is a constant salesman and will make an impact. He was just paid $10.3M to walk away from IU, after making $2.2M guaranteed a year to get there.

He is big enough, wealthy enough, and good enough to pick whatever job he wants.

This is where URI comes in. This is a program that a good coach can come into, overrecruit for the conference, and win at. Rehab their image. And go get another big job from. The other piece, is that we are a program so historically starved for success - that our standards are lower, our love for winning of any kind is greater, and he would be treated as a GOD once he started winning - not as someone who owed something to the fans.

He could make URI into what he made Dayton.

Why this would be so impactful, is because it would signal that URI intends to be a program. Not just a basketball team that shows up every half decade if they hit on the right "up and coming" coach.

Archie Miller coming here would signal that things in Kingston would be changing. That there would be investments required by a coach who was at one of the best supported programs in the country with the highest expectations.

This would be a hire that would send shockwaves throughout college basketball. Would turn eyes to Kingston for the first time in years. Would put URI in OOC games and tournaments we couldn't get without the brand Hurley built.

This hire puts URI back in the NCAA conversation in 2 years, if not right away with the transfer rules. It would spurn a cavalcade of donations, ticket sales, and excitement that felt like we lost for good. It means that URI would once again have an opportunity to claim the throne as best in the state, and compete for regional excellence with UConn if they can support the program in the way someone like Archie Miller would demand.

Why this is possible?

A) Tom Ryan. He is a great man. A revered man. A wealthy and generous man. A wealthy and generous man who wants our basketball team to be good. IF the David Cox era is truly done at the end of this year, URI will be required to pay a buyout. That buyout would presumably come from the URI Foundation. The URI Foundation's Chairman of the Board is a gentleman by the name of Thomas M. Ryan. If a buyout were to be approved, one would assume that Thomas M. Ryan the chairman of the board, would have a conversation with Thomas M. Ryan the generous benefactor, about who to bring on as the next coach.

Tom Ryan knows and loves basketball. We play it under the roof he built. The roof he so generously wants to see raising banners of basketball glory. He was right about Pitino over Cox. He will be right about the big name here too...Archie.

ENTER THE THUNDER DOME.

B) The Borzello article. URI's situation was mentioned as a throwaway "might come up" this year, with no names put in the hopper. Archie Miller's name is brought up as a potential to jump back in to coaching - obviously, because he's out of it. He wasn't named as a potential link to any of the higher profile names out there. Could be just because his stock may have taken a hit with the ouster at IU. But it's eerily quiet about Miller based on his availability, age, and coaching skill. The man is 43. You would think that would make him THE penultimate coaching candidate that is out of work at the moment.

C) The Borzello tweet. Where there's smoke there's fire. I doubt Jeff Borzello (who is from NY, went to Delaware, and is a national college writer for ESPN) is on this message board, certainly not frequently enough to know that like 4 of us have thrown St. Archibald's name out there as a christmas wish. He responded to the tweet asking that question about names for the URI job IMMEDIATELY. Within a minute. That's off the dome.

If you're a national CBB writer, you have your pulse on everything - and certainly can pull regional up-and-coming coach names off the top of your head to associate for openings. Becker and Skerry are always out there for URI. Even when the job isn't open. It's always a stereotypical starting point for a coaching search. Grasso and Mason are obvious names. Regional, up-and-comers - they'll be in the mix for every opening in the region. But Archie?

There is zero point zero connection to URI for Archie outside of the fact that he coached in the same conference for 6 years. No regional or family ties to the area. No outward snippets about his affinity for calamari, italian food, stuffies, or coffee milk.

But whispers?

WHY JEFF, WHY ARE YOU HEARING WHISPERS!? WHO IS WHISPERING!? WHAT ARE THEY SAYING!? He legitimately had to hear something.

The way that tweet is written. The timing. He didn't hear whispers on anyone else. He pulled those names out of his head and put them in a sandwich around the meat of the tweet that's about Archie.

ARCHIE MILLER WILL BE A RHODE ISLAND RAM. SPEAK IT INTO EXISTANCE.

What can we do?

Panic. My body, stress level, breathing, and general attitude have been in a state of panic for the last 12+ hours since I've started a Charlie Kelly mailroom conspiracy board in my office. My body isn't sure if I'm having a stroke or heart attack, and I legitimately think both ways to kill me are fighting so hard in opposite directions that I should be dead - but my will to see Archie on the sidelines in the Ryan Center is so strong that I am forcing a standard, yet elevated, heart rate to keep my body alive.

That's literally all I can think of right now. It's after midnight and I can't sleep.

But in the meantime, put on your tinfoil hat, join the fanclub, and let's go for a ride.

*but legit if this doesn't happen I will die.
This is an incredible post
5 x
Common sense is not common.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

St Patrick’s Day 2022. A day to be remembered in Rhody history. When I first read Blue Man’s Charlie Kelly mailroom conspiracy post I was thinking “Oh how cute. He thinks we have a shot. Let him dream. Let us all dream.” Since Archie’s Dayton teams kind of more or less owned us in that time period, seeing his background and bio right now is kind of surreal. Upgrading my season tickets with Rhody Guy.

And since we are playing this game, this is the most exciting time since the Creighton NCAAT win in my opinion.

Thorr, you dog, you. We owe this man more than we could ever give. Go Rhody!!!
6 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago I now hate you guys, ugh, lol. I was hoping this was all just a smoke screen or something.

Tell us what we can expect from Archie !!
Good, crisp offense with no stupid shots...pack line defense...players play hard...the offense looks logical, organized, and purposeful and not just some streetball slop that somebody threw out there without putting much thought into it...he seems to look for/recruit guys that very much like to win/have an edge to them as part of their DNA/place a high value on winning which I suppose can potentially cause some behavioral/off-the-court problems...he is very tight-lipped/nondescript about giving injury updates/he is the Bill Belichick of college basketball in terms of giving injury updates.

This whole thing is making me a little sick. Ugh.
Yup, works for me.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago I now hate you guys, ugh, lol. I was hoping this was all just a smokescreen or something.

This is better for the A10 though, since RI will be stronger now, so there's that.
I’ve always thought of Dayton as a program to emulate. Sold out 10k arenas night after night. Now we have that chance. Let’s hope URI fans are as supportive as Dayton’s fans.
GOAL....an A$$ in ever seat at the Ryan for EVERY game...LFG!
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6pm tonight. $9 per ticket.

URI WBB vs Quinnipiac WBB at the Ryan Center - WNIT 1st round game. Show Thorr, Tammi and Archie how URI loves basketball

https://uritix.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomm ... global-uri
8 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

….sun is out, coffee tastes better, wife looks better, taking deep cleansing breaths, head up higher, going to gym, gonna try 9-holes later…….going to women’s game tonite…….all things pointing up…..go Rhody!!
10 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

Thrilled to admit I was 100% wrong. Thor pulled it off, donating today as we all should.
4 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

No excuse to not be there tonight. Let’s support our Rhody Womens Team!
ramster wrote: 2 years ago 6pm tonight. $9 per ticket.

URI WBB vs Quinnipiac WBB at the Ryan Center - WNIT 1st round game. Show Thorr, Tammi and Archie how URI loves basketball

3 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
I like you, you seem like a good person and we appreciate your input and participating here as a fan of conference rival without being a shithead. So I do not mean this in any sort of way that is personal to you at all. But. Really glad to hear you say this, I think its a pretty ringing endorsement from someone in your spot. If you were like "yeah, good luck" then I'd be a little rattled.
Well, all I can say is this would be like if Hurley got fired at UConn and then took the VCU job or some other A10 job. You liked Hurley for what he did at RI, but you realize that in some ways he is now going to make things more difficult for you. It's tough to cheer against somebody that helped you so much.
9 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I went to the Indiana message board. A few people said he was in over his head there and would do better at a lower pressure place like URI. Some people ripped his defensive philosophy and said that it's hard to learn. People blamed him for IU being in the place it's in (despite the fact that they have been to the sweet 16 one time in the last 18 years).
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Here's a snippit from the IU board:

benhyoung14 said:
Well, this thread detailed quickly.

Good for him. I think he needs a program that will give him some runway to win and not require immediate competiveness. I think he can learn, where Tom Crean obviously didn't.

It is possible but they will have to be incredibly patient with him. The pack line as we saw will take years to learn minimum! Will he learn I have no idea and honestly do not really care we wasted four years under him thanks to Fred Glass so it certainly is not going to matter to me if he succeeds or not. May sound harsh but he is big reason our program was in the dumpster until this year. Seems like he never wanted to be at IU and would have been best for both parties if he had never taken the IU job.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

What’s the state motto? Hope.

Rebellions are built on hope.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
Hey Daytonflyerfan,

First, thanks for always being a gentleman/woman on this Board. I have followed your comments over the years.

I am glad you have a lot of good things to say about Archie. One of the many things I personally missed about Dan and even Andrea Hurley was their engagement with the fans/boosters. I know Archie reportedly got his name from his personality being somewhat Archie Bunker-like, but what can we expect from him as to fan engagement? Andrea Hurley was a big supporter of Coaches Against Cancer and did a lot of fundraising, so we saw her a lot in that role, and she was a surrogate mother to the team. While Mrs. Cox was somewhat engaging, she did not define herself with a charity.

Some might think that doesn't matter, but it was a lot easier for us to open our wallets when we were going to year end parties with the team, or season preview parties, which the Hurleys and AD hosted.
I have never met Archie, so I do not have any input beyond saying that I never had any complaints about him, he seemed like a real nice guy. I am just a regular fan, I don't have any special connections or anything, his pressers, dealing with the media and the fans, etc. seemed fine to me.
6 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Miller was number one on my personal wish list for our next HC, so, Christmas in March for me this year!!!

HAZAH!!! Go Rhody!!!!

And thank you Thorr Bjorn! I'll show my appreciation by attending games again and buying Rhody shwag for myself and family...
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I like you, you seem like a good person and we appreciate your input and participating here as a fan of conference rival without being a shithead. So I do not mean this in any sort of way that is personal to you at all. But. Really glad to hear you say this, I think its a pretty ringing endorsement from someone in your spot. If you were like "yeah, good luck" then I'd be a little rattled.
Well, all I can say is this would be like if Hurley got fired at UConn and then took the VCU job or some other A10 job. You liked Hurley for what he did at RI, but you realize that in some ways he is now going to make things more difficult for you. It's tough to cheer against somebody that helped you so much.
But ultimately that's good. We need the A10 to get much better and there are programs at the bottom that just aren't going to significantly improve. So it's up to programs like us and UMass to get better consistently to make the conference better.

Obviously the goal is to win every game and every championship, but I'd rather be 6th in the A10 when it's getting 6 bids then 3rd when we're getting 2
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago But ultimately that's good. We need the A10 to get much better and there are programs at the bottom that just aren't going to significantly improve. So it's up to programs like us and UMass to get better consistently to make the conference better.

Obviously the goal is to win every game and every championship, but I'd rather be 6th in the A10 when it's getting 6 bids then 3rd when we're getting 2

Why do we not have the "100%" emoji on this board?
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
But ultimately that's good. We need the A10 to get much better and there are programs at the bottom that just aren't going to significantly improve. So it's up to programs like us and UMass to get better consistently to make the conference better.

This, I'll never root against any move that makes the conference better. Rising tide lifts all ships.

Hell, I'd kill for the A10 to have the cache where a conference loss is seen as a good thing for us like in the P5 conferences
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Attachments
a42f36b1-8e62-4e1a-8f3c-fe87894fcb06_text.gif
a42f36b1-8e62-4e1a-8f3c-fe87894fcb06_text.gif (657.35 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
3 x
'No Mercy.'
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Well, my job just got a LOT easier :lol:

After this season I was seriously considering hanging up the joggers and microphone.

Anyway, absolute home run hire by Thorr. I’m confident Archie will have us back in the upper echelon of the A10 & competing in short order.

In the words of Stone Freeman;

IT’S A GOOD DAY TO BE A RAM!!!

RHODY.
RHODY.
RHODY.
Last edited by EZBuckets 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
19 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Blue Man, since you nailed the Archie Miller hire, can you please start a Rhody v UConn game conspiracy theory thread? This has nothing to do with playing Hurley. We are neighboring states, minimal travel and would be fun for both fan bases. I really don't even have to explain. Why can't we make this game happen? It's really a shame.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man, since you nailed the Archie Miller hire, can you please start a Rhody v UConn game conspiracy theory thread? This has nothing to do with playing Hurley. We are neighboring states, minimal travel and would be fun for both fan bases. I really don't even have to explain. Why can't we make this game happen? It's really a shame.
Every year, first regular season Saturday, Mohegan Sun arena, half of the ticket allotment to UConn, half to URI, split the arena in half with the fanbases. Mohegan Sun gives UConn a kickback to make them whole for losing a home game, because the casino will make way more than what they'd invest with our degenerate fanbases roaming the grounds. Who loses anything in that scenario? Get it done!
7 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EZBuckets wrote: 2 years ago Well, my job just got a LOT easier :lol:

After this season I was seriously considering hanging up the joggers and microphone.

Anyway, absolute home run hire by Thorr. I’m confident Archie will have us back in the upper echelon of the A10 & competing in short order.

RHODY.
RHODY.
RHODY.
Let's get those students to the press conference and get off to a flying start!
6 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RHODY.
RHODY.
RHODY.
Hey, you did the Tom Brady Retirement before it was cool, haha :D

Glad you're fired up again too, really does add to the atmosphere having you run around getting folks off their butts
4 x
---
---
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ….sun is out, coffee tastes better, wife looks better, taking deep cleansing breaths, head up higher, going to gym, gonna try 9-holes later…….going to women’s game tonite…….all things pointing up…..go Rhody!!
... and the ellipses are back ... screw the Punctuation Police ... we got Archie ... and that's all that matters ... LFG!!!! ... :lol:
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RHODY.
RHODY.
RHODY.
RAMS!
RAMS!
RAMS!
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston looks to have been working some Rhody magic from up above.
9 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Next is the official press release/podium announcement. Then players come back? Recruiting ramps up?
1 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

AMEN !
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man, since you nailed the Archie Miller hire, can you please start a Rhody v UConn game conspiracy theory thread? This has nothing to do with playing Hurley. We are neighboring states, minimal travel and would be fun for both fan bases. I really don't even have to explain. Why can't we make this game happen? It's really a shame.
Archie coming here means next season's OOC schedule will probably omit our new rivals, the mighty Yellow Jackets of American International College. But it's a loss I'll have to learn to live with.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Next is the official press release/podium announcement. Then players come back? Recruiting ramps up?
Looking forward to see who Archie gets on his staff too.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Archie coming here means next season's OOC schedule will probably omit our new rivals, the mighty Yellow Jackets of American International College. But it's a loss I'll have to learn to live with.

The only reason we played American International College was because of Omicron Covid.
College of Charleston in Washington DC and Brown were both cancelled. George Mason was postponed. Many teams were searching for games to try to keep the team playing at this difficult time period.

It was NOT a game on the original URI MBB schedule.

156C3D7A-17DB-4E3D-8D3D-F52246596577.jpeg
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I was down in Florida last month wearing my Rams cap. As I'm walking down the street to get a coffee, a guy passes me then chants "RHODY RHODY RHODY". We spend the next 10 minutes commiserating about the Cox Error. I mention Archie and he says "we'll see." Well, ARCHIE IS NOW OUR COACH.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I was down in Florida last month wearing my Rams cap. As I'm walking down the street to get a coffee, a guy passes me then chants "RHODY RHODY RHODY". We spend the next 10 minutes commiserating about the Cox Error. I mention Archie and he says "we'll see." Well, ARCHIE IS NOW OUR COACH.
Right. So why continue to call it the Cox Error? Pretty mean.

Move forward.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Mama Mitchell throwing her support behind Archie. I think this is a good thing.
6 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

The only reason we played American International College was because of Omicron Covid.
College of Charleston in Washington DC and Brown were both cancelled. George Mason was postponed. Many teams were searching for games to try to keep the team playing at this difficult time period.

3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

No joke. Move on. Stop being so mean to a past coach.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Very interested to see the numbers on this.

My guess is between 1.5 and 2 million a year.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Regarding opponents. I wonder if Archie had any commitments from Thorr with regards to scheduling, specifically buy games. He was very accustomed to these at both Indiana and Dayton. URI however plays few buy games as it had just two the last several full seasons played. Rhody had BU and Sacred Heart in 2021-22 and LIU and Manhattan in 2019-20. Miller played five buy games in his last season at Dayton in 2016-17 and essentially seven (3 traditional buy and four Hoosier sponsored tournament games versus mid-majors in Bloomington) in 2019-20 before Covid at Indiana.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

LOVE THIS! He gets it, you can win consistently and big here. We are a sleeping giant ready for a wake up

12 x
---
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago LOVE THIS! He gets it, you can win consistently and big here. We are a sleeping giant ready for a wake up

Oh no! The process!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Mama Mitchell throwing her support behind Archie. I think this is a good thing.
I’m still not sure this is a good thing or not although there is no debating their talent, but it just can’tgo back to the way it was with Cox. Miller won’t stand for it. Foul shots, turnovers and above everything technicals and attitude to succeed.

Last edited by RamStock 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Very interested to see the numbers on this.

My guess is between 1.5 and 2 million a year.
Keep in mind that the compensation to Archie is not the only big increased commitment to the program. I am sure that he got promises for greatly increased funding for the assistant coaches salary pool, charter flights, recruiting budget, etc...

Miller was due $10.35M per his 2021 termination from Indiana. He had three years at $3.45M left on his contract at that time. His deal however had a clause that any comparable employment income earned during the remaining length of his contract (3 years at that time) would offset what Indiana owed him dollar for dollar. Given he was not employed the last season, he was paid the full $3.45M from the Hoosiers.

My guess is that Miller's deal with URI could possibly be very back ended. Given any money he earns at URI in his first two seasons will reduce his Indiana buyout, I would not think his early Rhody salary is paramount. I would not be surprised if he demanded that URI put the money to program operational enhancements in those two years and agreed to an initial lower salary with it dramatically rising in the last three seasons of the five year deal. Such a contract would also greatly help URI out as it would not have to immediately find the funding for a big spending increase right away. It would allow some time to make plans to get the funding up to what will eventually be required.

IU basketball: The real cost of Archie Miller’s buyout would be tied to his next job
February 28, 2021 Mike Schumann
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-bask ... -next-job/
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

gazakaza wrote: 2 years ago No excuse to not be there tonight. Let’s support our Rhody Womens Team!
ramster wrote: 2 years ago 6pm tonight. $9 per ticket.

Are folks aching to fill the Ryan Center when the URI men are in the NIT?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

They knock down three-pointers against man and zone defense too.

It'll be nice to see this.
0 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

I love the quote from Archie he just published, but we need a new word than process, let’s open up the thesaurus.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We are 10 years past the last time “process” was a thing……..this is and will be different, no problems with his us of the term…….go Rhody!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938