Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by reef »

That’s the downside of coaching in a crap conference and probably why he leaves for a decent P6 maybe after next year
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Ok Shaheen Holloway seems pretty aight too.
1 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Archie is a Ram! LFG!
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago Ok Shaheen Holloway seems pretty aight too.
He's gonna get whatever job he wants.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Funny how that win alone will elevate Holloway to a new pedigree
1 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Jeff Goodman reporting it is official. Let’s go Archie!
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago Ok Shaheen Holloway seems pretty aight too.
He's gonna get whatever job he wants.
Obviously very excited about the Archie news but Holloway is legit.
2 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Glad to hear this but what about the 14 day rule? It’s stupid for a position like this but some politician will probably have something to say if announced officially too soon
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rammgr wrote: 2 years ago Glad to hear this but what about the 14 day rule? It’s stupid for a position like this but some politician will probably have something to say if announced officially too soon
Any politician that has a problem with this can call my attorney Heywood Jablowme
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rammgr wrote: 2 years ago Glad to hear this but what about the 14 day rule? It’s stupid for a position like this but some politician will probably have something to say if announced officially too soon
I tried telling people when this started that two people can agree on anything at any time. I don't see how an administrative rule can prevent that. Obviously these rules serve some purpose for ordinary jobs, but this is not like other state job postings. The rule is unenforceable in this context, and I think it is a good sign for how our people are thinking now that they are going to blow past dumb "rules" that make their jobs harder and force somebody to prove to them that it is actually relevant to them.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

A new era!!!
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
I tried telling people when this started that two people can agree on anything at any time. I don't see how an administrative rule can prevent that. Obviously these rules serve some purpose for ordinary jobs, but this is not like other state job postings. The rule is unenforceable in this context, and I think it is a good sign for how our people are thinking now that they are going to blow past dumb "rules" that make their jobs harder and force somebody to prove to them that it is actually relevant to them.
Yeah my wife is an attorney and was like yeah that’s not an actual law or anything lol
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

077FBA3D-3B6E-4F34-9039-BC5A50E309D6.jpeg
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Damn that was fast.
1 x
GO RAMS
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Reports are Archie signed a 5/9.5, with incentives that can take it higher. That is less than I expected. They also raised the budget for assistants to $750,000.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Matunuck wrote: 2 years ago Reports are Archie signed a 5/9.5, with incentives that can take it higher. That is less than I expected. They also raised the budget for assistants to $750,000.
Don't forget he's still netting another $4m from Indiana's buyout after the offset from his RI salary
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This play is perfect. Every time I watch it, I focus on a different player. Jeff’s the best.
4 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
I’d love to know how many leftover towels they have that they couldn’t give out to season ticket holders who had tickets under one account.

They’ll probably be giving these towels out for years to come.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What's the new signage?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What's the new signage?
You'll have to go out and take a ride and win yourself a towel.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

An Archie billboard would be epic. CT had 1 up for Dan within a week of the hiring. It matters.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

6 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yessssssss
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
This play is perfect. Every time I watch it, I focus on a different player. Jeff’s the best.
What’s also crazy about this clip - 3 of the 5 guys on floor for Richmond will suit up today for them. Meanwhile it feels like Jared and EC have been gone forever. Everyone but Fatts is multiple years into their pro careers.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think it's time to change the theme of this thread to 'Assistant Coach Speculation'. Who is Archie talking to ?
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I think it's time to change the theme of this thread to 'Assistant Coach Speculation'. Who is Archie talking to ?
Good Idea.

I would love: Tom Ostrom, Matt Abdelmassih, and maybe Tyson Wheeler or keep TJ.

I wouldn't object to see Jamion Christian either.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Keep TJ? What as assistant to the assistant to the guy who is director of basketball operations? lol

I love TJ and if he is on staff it should be a position that is drastically reduced. He is clearly support staff material.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TJ would likely be perfectly fine as a third assistant. The problem was the entire composition of the staff.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Keep TJ? What as assistant to the assistant to the guy who is director of basketball operations? lol

I love TJ and if he is on staff it should be a position that is drastically reduced. He is clearly support staff material.
My only thought is if you have to pay big $ for 2 top assistants, maybe keep TJ in a diminished role.
TJ is well liked by the players and building good recruiting connections.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Jersey sorry I came across harsh. You are correct with thinking big money for top two and less for third. Just would want more out of third assistant. Thinking TJ maybe -Director of Player Development. TJ will be great one day and he should build those relationships at another school and maybe come back when ready. We need Coaches with deep established relationships. TJ now has a resume and can go get a third assistant job at a NEC, MAAC, American East program and continue to grow.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Jersey sorry I came across harsh. You are correct with thinking big money for top two and less for third. Just would want more out of third assistant. Thinking TJ maybe -Director of Player Development. TJ will be great one day and he should build those relationships at another school and maybe come back when ready. We need Coaches with deep established relationships. TJ now has a resume and can go get a third assistant job at a NEC, MAAC, American East program and continue to grow.
No problem.

If we can get 2 high powered assistants, which would eat up most of the salary pool, I wouldn't necessarily object to keeping TJ in whatever role.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What's the new signage?
You'll have to go out and take a ride and win yourself a towel.
By the time I planned for that kind of Rhode trip...I mean that has to be 20 miles from my house...the towels would be gone?
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

I think Austin wants to stay on too. He was on the S.Miller staff at Arizona.
Seems like, at most, he'd keep one of Austin or TJ.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No problem from me with TJ as a 3rd assistant he’s got some experience now
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

At least one member of the staff is typically kept on for continuity when there is a head coaching change. This person is usually the bridge to the players staying in the program and is someone that can provide the new coach with history and context on program matters. Buchanan has the most time in Kingston. Played for the program having graduated in 2015 and was on the staff of the previous two head coaches dating back to September 2017. I would think he would have a leg up on Carroll who has been on staff since September 2019. Ultimately it will be up to Miller and may simply come down to who he is more comfortable with or who might better complement the rest of his staff. I would think Miller's top two guys will be at a higher level and possibly have existing connections to Archie. They will get the bigger dollars and do more of the heavy lifting. I would think there is little chance that Miller would retain Bozeman.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If Al Pinkins isn't retained at Florida or scooped up by South Carolina or LSU, I would take him in a minute on Archie's staff.

He is a top recruiter and considered one of the best frontcourt coaches.
The twins would thrive under him.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago If Al Pinkins isn't retained at Florida or scooped up by South Carolina or LSU, I would take him in a minute on Archie's staff.

For context, he is making around $315k per year at Florida so it will come down to how Archie wants to allocate the assistant salaries between the 3 positions.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago If Al Pinkins isn't retained at Florida or scooped up by South Carolina or LSU, I would take him in a minute on Archie's staff.

Good call on Pinkins , I wonder if Arch knows him ?? Maybe if we can offer him 350,000 he will come
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Mods.
As posted earlier can we revise this thread to read/or include Coaching Staff Speculation 2022-23, now that we hired Archie.
Since we already started the discussion on this thread.
1 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

SimpleJack wrote: 2 years ago A ton of you are very high on him but I’m not sure I agree on wanting Holloway. He hasn’t had a truly impressive season yet, losing double digit games every year and never winning more than 70% of conference games in a season. And that’s in the MAAC over four seasons. Two 14-6 seasons in conference separated by a 10-8 season in between is a little concerning to me, you should be consistently dominating a conference like that if you’re actually above the level that you’re coaching at. It begs the question if the hype on Holloway would be the same if not for Rider doing the dirty work and knocking out Iona so that SPU could get the auto bid. IMO this is not the next Hurley situation, Hurley had Wagner on a dominant level by his second year. The signs were there that Hurley was a difference maker. I could be way off but I think with Holloway we would be closer to Jim Baron level teams than Dan Hurley teams, which would be an upgrade to our current state but not where I think any of us want to be.
Lol
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago
SimpleJack wrote: 2 years ago A ton of you are very high on him but I’m not sure I agree on wanting Holloway. He hasn’t had a truly impressive season yet, losing double digit games every year and never winning more than 70% of conference games in a season. And that’s in the MAAC over four seasons. Two 14-6 seasons in conference separated by a 10-8 season in between is a little concerning to me, you should be consistently dominating a conference like that if you’re actually above the level that you’re coaching at. It begs the question if the hype on Holloway would be the same if not for Rider doing the dirty work and knocking out Iona so that SPU could get the auto bid. IMO this is not the next Hurley situation, Hurley had Wagner on a dominant level by his second year. The signs were there that Hurley was a difference maker. I could be way off but I think with Holloway we would be closer to Jim Baron level teams than Dan Hurley teams, which would be an upgrade to our current state but not where I think any of us want to be.
Lol
This aged well…
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

SimpleJack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SimpleJack »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Lol
This aged well…
It hasn’t even aged yet. Patience, it’s not good practice to look at a sample size of three games and be result oriented. It was an extremely impressive run and I like Holloway’s chances a lot more now than I did when I wrote that, but to assume he’s now just guaranteed success is being a prisoner of the moment. The range of outcomes for him is still very wide, it’s not going to be a surprise four years down the line if we hear he is extended or if we hear is let go. Not saying I’d bet against him but there is still plenty to prove.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SimpleJack wrote: 2 years ago

Lol
This aged well…
It hasn’t even aged yet. Patience, it’s not good practice to look at a sample size of three games and be result oriented. It was an extremely impressive run and I like Holloway’s chances a lot more now than I did when I wrote that, but to assume he’s now just guaranteed success is being a prisoner of the moment. The range of outcomes for him is still very wide, it’s not going to be a surprise four years down the line if we hear he is extended or if we hear is let go. Not saying I’d bet against him but there is still plenty to prove.
1. Coaches are hired to be fired, if you haven't noticed. So of course, he could flame out in 4 years. So too did a guy named Archie Miller at IU. Does that make him an unqualified coach?
2. Your previous "critique" of Holloway was missing a whole bunch of context. The guy was coaching at St. Peter's, for Pete's sake!! He lost double-digit games. So what, you expected the Peacocks to beat PC, St. John's and VCU? He was 14-6 competing against conference foes while having the smallest budget and worst facilities. Winning 70% of conference games is pretty impressive. A St. Peter's coach needs to be dominating the MAAC to prove he's a good coach? Get real.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of John Wooden but I do know that winning college basketball games is a hard job...and winning at a place like St. Peter's is even harder.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….I thought many think Iona was gonna run away with the MAAC and the rest in the wake…
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SimpleJack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SimpleJack »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

This aged well…
1. Coaches are hired to be fired, if you haven't noticed. So of course, he could flame out in 4 years. So too did a guy named Archie Miller at IU. Does that make him an unqualified coach?
2. Your previous "critique" of Holloway was missing a whole bunch of context. The guy was coaching at St. Peter's, for Pete's sake!! He lost double-digit games. So what, you expected the Peacocks to beat PC, St. John's and VCU? He was 14-6 competing against conference foes while having the smallest budget and worst facilities. Winning 70% of conference games is pretty impressive. A St. Peter's coach needs to be dominating the MAAC to prove he's a good coach? Get real.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of John Wooden but I do know that winning college basketball games is a hard job...and winning at a place like St. Peter's is even harder.
You’re implying something I never said in that first part but fair enough on the rest of it. I respect the broad perspective, I admittedly didn’t know SPU had the smallest budget and worst facilities in the MAAC. Makes me give him slightly more of a pass for never winning a regular season conference title in that quality conference.

So I’m curious because I don’t know the answer to this… was Wagner a powerhouse/high budget program in the NEC when Hurley was able to make them into a 25 win team and go 15-3 (83% win percentage) in conference in just his second season? And if so how much of his success there do you credit to that?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

You’re implying something I never said in that first part but fair enough on the rest of it. I respect the broad perspective, I admittedly didn’t know SPU had the smallest budget and worst facilities in the MAAC. Makes me give him slightly more of a pass for never winning a regular season conference title in that quality conference.

So I’m curious because I don’t know the answer to this… was Wagner a powerhouse/high budget program in the NEC when Hurley was able to make them into a 25 win team and go 15-3 (83% win percentage) in conference in just his second season? And if so how much of his success there do you credit to that?
I don't know if there is such a thing as "high budget" in the NEC. Wagner has been to 1 NCAA tournament in its Division One history
0 x