Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Now that the brackets are announced, figure it makes sense to make a topic for the tournament itself. And, if you want to talk about the men's NIT, CIT or whatever, it can go in here too, instead of that poor Week 12 thread.

Looking at the Kenpom ratings, Oklahoma at 30 is the highest rated team that was left out. However, they had 15(!) losses, and ranked 283rd in luck. Wake Forest probably has a legitimate gripe (23-9, 37th).

As expected, PC has the highest discrepancy between "computer" rankings and seed. PC is seeded fourth, but is ranked 49th. Others near them in rankings are Iowa St. and Notre Dame (11 seed), and Marquette (9). If you're looking for teams that are underseeded, Houston is 4th in Kenpom, but got a five seed. UCLA is 8th in Kenpom, but a four seed, so that might be sturdier. Then again... It's single-elimination from here on out, so anything can happen.

I haven't really looked at the highest rated NET team that missed, because the NCAA site doesn't "highlight" like the Kenpom site does. If someone else wants to do the legwork on that, or link to a good article, feel free!
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Men's Postseason Tournament Talk 2021-22

Unread post by rhodysurf »

SDSU freaking knows how to score
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Houston is wild this season. They don’t have any quad 1 wins (playing in a mediocre conference is not great). But, they lost two key players to injury and have managed to keep it together.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago Houston is wild this season. They don’t have any quad 1 wins (playing in a mediocre conference is not great). But, they lost two key players to injury and have managed to keep it together.
I live in the Houston metro region now, and they're a fun team to watch. It's not just that they've managed to survive this season - they've kicked the crap out of plenty of teams. They went to the Final Four last year, which would be a massive overachievement this year. (Last year's team had more talent.)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Houston is wild this season. They don’t have any quad 1 wins (playing in a mediocre conference is not great). But, they lost two key players to injury and have managed to keep it together.
I live in the Houston metro region now, and they're a fun team to watch. It's not just that they've managed to survive this season - they've kicked the crap out of plenty of teams. They went to the Final Four last year, which would be a massive overachievement this year. (Last year's team had more talent.)
Beat Jarad Grasso 111-44

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /401371813
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I was glad to see them get their revenge on Memphis today. They also have Josh Carlton, who is just a good dude. A lot of UConn fans still seem to root for him. I’ll always like Sampson for scheduling that home and home with URI a few years ago.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
I was glad to see them get their revenge on Memphis today. They also have Josh Carlton, who is just a good dude. A lot of UConn fans still seem to root for him. I’ll always like Sampson for scheduling that home and home with URI a few years ago.
I think we’ve had a few home and homes with Houston over the years.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can someone legitimately explain why Texas A&M was left out? lol Some had them as an 8 seed.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Now that the brackets are announced, figure it makes sense to make a topic for the tournament itself. And, if you want to talk about the men's NIT, CIT or whatever, it can go in here too, instead of that poor Week 12 thread.

Looking at the Kenpom ratings, Oklahoma at 30 is the highest rated team that was left out. However, they had 15(!) losses, and ranked 283rd in luck. Wake Forest probably has a legitimate gripe (23-9, 37th).

As expected, PC has the highest discrepancy between "computer" rankings and seed. PC is seeded fourth, but is ranked 49th. Others near them in rankings are Iowa St. and Notre Dame (11 seed), and Marquette (9). If you're looking for teams that are underseeded, Houston is 4th in Kenpom, but got a five seed. UCLA is 8th in Kenpom, but a four seed, so that might be sturdier. Then again... It's single-elimination from here on out, so anything can happen.

I haven't really looked at the highest rated NET team that missed, because the NCAA site doesn't "highlight" like the Kenpom site does. If someone else wants to do the legwork on that, or link to a good article, feel free!
Totally agree with you on Wake Forest , this is a team that definitely passes the eye test and we’re sitting pretty much in the field most of the year , it’s not like they collapsed down the stretch . It almost seemed like the committee looked too much into their BC loss in the tournament which was a tough loss in OT .
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

#4 in KenPom! I could see them back in the Final Four.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
#4 in KenPom! I could see them back in the Final Four.
I see them as another team that goes down early tbh. But hey - it’s March. Anything goes.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Now that the brackets are announced, figure it makes sense to make a topic for the tournament itself. And, if you want to talk about the men's NIT, CIT or whatever, it can go in here too, instead of that poor Week 12 thread.

Totally agree with you on Wake Forest , this is a team that definitely passes the eye test and we’re sitting pretty much in the field most of the year , it’s not like they collapsed down the stretch . It almost seemed like the committee looked too much into their BC loss in the tournament which was a tough loss in OT .
Look at Wake's schedule. Nothing from the non-conference. Best wins are Va Tech in December, UNC and ND. That's it. 3 wins against NCAA-tourney teams. ACC down this year. Sorry, this goes way beyond a loss to BC.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Can anyone understand how Tennessee was the second 3 seed with an 11-7 record against the quad 1 (wins over Arizona, Auburn and Kentucky×2
5-0 quad 2. No bad losses. Most quad 1 wins in the country. SEC tournament Champs and an SOS of 4th?

When Wisconsin sits there with a worse NET, worse SOS (20th) 2 quad 2 losses and 2 quad 3 losses.

Duke a two seed with only 6 quad one wins, 3 quad 2 losses, 1 quad 3 loss. Worse SOS (58) and worse NET.

This is quite possibly the clearest indication that there is bias involved.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Can anyone understand how Tennessee was the second 3 seed with an 11-7 record against the quad 1 (wins over Arizona, Auburn and Kentucky×2
5-0 quad 2. No bad losses. Most quad 1 wins in the country. SEC tournament Champs and an SOS of 4th?

When Wisconsin sits there with a worse NET, worse SOS (20th) 2 quad 2 losses and 2 quad 3 losses.

Duke a two seed with only 6 quad one wins, 3 quad 2 losses, 1 quad 3 loss. Worse SOS (58) and worse NET.

Bias against Duke? Never. Just check out CBS sports NCAA page. They have the number 1 seed for the East, South and Midwest highlighted. For the West they have Gonzaga and Duke. Can't wait for ratface to be out of college hoops.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Can anyone understand how Tennessee was the second 3 seed with an 11-7 record against the quad 1 (wins over Arizona, Auburn and Kentucky×2

Bias against Duke? Never. Just check out CBS sports NCAA page. They have the number 1 seed for the East, South and Midwest highlighted. For the West they have Gonzaga and Duke. Can't wait for ratface to be out of college hoops.
I mean it's pretty wild.

They even said if Kentucky had beaten UT and won the SEC then they'd have been a 1 seed...just doesnt matter if UT does it?? Absolutely wild.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I heard multiple experts say that UT should have been a 2
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

No Texas AM is the biggest hose job I’ve ever seen.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU beat Princeton 90-79 NIT

Curry and Ace 23 each
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Bona won too last night so it's still possible to have an ALL A10 Final Four...in the NIT.Image

Catch the fever.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here is my idea in generating more interest in the NIT by merging it with elements of the NCAA tourney.

After the first round of the NIT, take the sixteen remaining teams and combined them with the the top 16 teams eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Develop the 16 match-up games through the usual seeding process. This would create another kind of selection Sunday. Take the final 8 teams to Madison Square Garden as opposed to the present set-up of four teams. Time the MSG games to be completed before the NCAA Final Four.

A actual mock-up of this concept can be done on this coming Sunday.
Last edited by Obadiah 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago Bona won too last night so it's still possible to have an ALL A10 Final Four...in the NIT.Image

Catch the fever.
Thanks Puck,

I wish the Mens NIT had 64 Teams like the WNIT has.
Women have 68 teams in the NCAA and 64 in the WNIT for 132 Total teams. Men have only 100 Total Teams (68 + 32). Not counting the CBI, CIT, etc.

Women's NIT increased from:
1998-started with 16
1999-went to 32
2007-went to 48
2010-went to 64

Do you think the NIT will increase to 64 or at least 48?
Think they should?
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Here is my idea in generating more interest in the NIT by merging it with elements of the NCAA tourney.

After the first round of the NIT, take the sixteen remaining teams and combined them with the the top 16 teams eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Develop the 16 match-up games through the usual seeding process. This would create another kind of selection Sunday. Take the final 8 teams to Madison Square Garden as opposed to the present set-up of four teams. Time the MSG games to be completed before the NCAA Final Four.
While this would improve the NIT field substantially, I also think it's a bit of a logistical nightmare for the administrators of the events, and also, the coaches and players involved. Also, if you're an NCAA #1 seed and get bounced by an #8, I kind of doubt you want to sign up for some NIT games.

I'm with Ramster in that I wish the NIT would go back to a 64 team field. I think part of the fun of the postseason is seeing how random match-ups turn out, like the second place team with 25 wins from a crap conference vs. the eighth place team from a power conference. I also think the NCAA tournament "play in" games are stupid. Keep it at 64, or go to 96, if you really want to include more teams. Forcing AQ and "last four in" teams to eliminate themselves strikes me as unfair.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Here is my idea in generating more interest in the NIT by merging it with elements of the NCAA tourney.

While this would improve the NIT field substantially, I also think it's a bit of a logistical nightmare for the administrators of the events, and also, the coaches and players involved. Also, if you're an NCAA #1 seed and get bounced by an #8, I kind of doubt you want to sign up for some NIT games.

I'm with Ramster in that I wish the NIT would go back to a 64 team field. I think part of the fun of the postseason is seeing how random match-ups turn out, like the second place team with 25 wins from a crap conference vs. the eighth place team from a power conference. I also think the NCAA tournament "play in" games are stupid. Keep it at 64, or go to 96, if you really want to include more teams. Forcing AQ and "last four in" teams to eliminate themselves strikes me as unfair.
I don't know what you mean by logistical nightmare. NCAA bound teams do not know where they are going until 6 PM on Selection Sunday and this arrangement would be no different. Also, your #1 getting bounce is an emotional issue and you ignore the pull of "redemption", also an emotional issue. Besides, in this set-up any team has the right to refuse and given there are 32 eliminated teams in the NCAA first round, there would be no problem in finding the best 16 teams willing to participate.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The NIT is viewed as a second tier tournament for the "Not Invited Teams". It garners little general fan interest. I do not think it really makes much money for the NCAA organization or participating teams. From a financial perspective the NCAA and its members would be far better served by increasing the extremely revenue rich NCAA Tournament field with more games. Each NCAA Tournament game has meaning as its victor could possibly be the national champion.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago

I don't know what you mean by logistical nightmare. NCAA bound teams do not know where they are going until 6 PM on Selection Sunday and this arrangement would be no different. Also, your #1 getting bounce is an emotional issue and you ignore the pull of "redemption", also an emotional issue. Besides, in this set-up any team has the right to refuse and given there are 32 eliminated teams in the NCAA first round, there would be no problem in finding the best 16 teams willing to participate.
Let’s say a Northern Iowa type team hits a clutch shot and upsets #1 overall seed Kansas/another blue blood in the second round.

You really think that team would then want to play in the NIT?

You’d have teams rejecting the invite left and right.
0 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago

Let’s say a Northern Iowa type team hits a clutch shot and upsets #1 overall seed Kansas/another blue blood in the second round.

You really think that team would then want to play in the NIT?

You’d have teams rejecting the invite left and right.
There are 345 schools playing D1 basketball and there is one Kansas and a few other schools in that prestige category. Again, schools have the right to turn down the invite. I prefer an open mind and do not pretend to speak for the motivations/desires of other schools, the majority of which have varying results from season to season. Because of that you have top schools playing in the NIT in the first place, just like UNC when URI played against that team in the NIT semifinals in NYC in 2010. Also, if Villanova gets upset by Delaware on Friday, how do you know that they would turn down such a redemption opportunity. This concept would also give impetus for snubbed teams, like Texas A&M, to prove NCAA wrong by then beating a team that did get invited. The possibility of having an NIT winner that also played in the NCAA has some intrigue.

BTW, this idea is not based on "money", but on creating interest, giving the NIT added meaning and giving a special twist to the season's end. Expanding the NCAA may be a good idea, but it's just the same with more teams.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There is something to this effect in European soccer with Champions League and Europa League. Earlier exit teams from CL get integrated into the Europa League
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really nice win for Bona last night Osiuni came up big down low

Anyone see Buzz Williams crying about his Aggies getting snubbed ?? Get over it already
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

The NIT went to 40 teams with 16 teams playing an opening round and 24 having a bye. I think in the mid 2000s - for a year or two? Then went back to 32
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

This Bryant vs Wright State game is easily the highest level 16/16 game I've ever seen
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bryant trails Wright State at the half, 44-42. Peter Kiss has 10 points. Apart from a few brief leads, Bryant has trailed most of the first 20 minutes of play.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Bryant trails Wright State at the half, 44-42. Peter Kiss has 10 points. Apart from a few brief leads, Bryant has trailed most of the first 20 minutes of play.
Up and down action both teams getting what they want , first team to play defense wins ??
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I thought our Vistaprint uniforms were hideous. These Wright State uniforms make those look like Brooks Brothers suits.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Live by the three die by the three
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Grasso looks like Fred Flintstone
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Grasso looks like Fred Flintstone
Grasso back at Bryant next year ??
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Zeeero defense
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please UMass hire Jared Grasso !!
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton pounds Toledo by 19 NIT
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
Zeeero defense
They are lucky they had a play in game. It would have been ugly against a 1 seed.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

Zeeero defense
They are lucky they had a play in game. It would have been ugly against a 1 seed.
Really good point Arizona probably puts an 110 point burger on them
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This game was the perfect example of why I had zero interest in Grasso and his gimmick system. Biggest game in program history and you have one of your worst defense games of the year. And in case you think it was more about Wright State, this was their second highest point total of the season. You couldn't try and play any defense?

Between the garbage system and the other garbage surrounding the program i couldn't have been less interested
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bryant big fish in small pond but a minnow outside their conference
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago This game was the perfect example of why I had zero interest in Grasso and his gimmick system. Biggest game in program history and you have one of your worst defense games of the year. And in case you think it was more about Wright State, this was their second highest point total of the season. You couldn't try and play any defense?

Between the garbage system and the other garbage surrounding the program i couldn't have been less interested
Someone said he sounded like a used car salesman, I like that analogy
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A-10 NIT Tuesday Results
Dayton wins at Toledo 74-55 - Had to play on the road as #1 seed because UD Arena is hosting NCAA First Four. Would host until NYC if they advance.
St Louis loses at home to N Iowa 80-68
A-10 is 3-1 in the first round of the NIT (SBU and VCU both won on Monday)
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wow. Rutgers- Notre Dame going to double OT. Not bad for 2 teams that could easily have been in the first four out.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Wow! What a finish!

Ron Harper, Jr with a game tying 3 with 22 seconds left. Then Atkinson layup for the winner after an offensive rebound with 1.4 seconds left. ND wins 89-87.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Wow! What a finish!

Ron Harper, Jr with a game tying 3 with 22 seconds left. Then Atkinson layup for the winner after an offensive rebound with 1.4 seconds left. ND wins 89-87.
Was a really good game indeed
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago A-10 NIT Tuesday Results
Dayton wins at Toledo 74-55 - Had to play on the road as #1 seed because UD Arena is hosting NCAA First Four. Would host until NYC if they advance.
St Louis loses at home to N Iowa 80-68
A-10 is 3-1 in the first round of the NIT (SBU and VCU both won on Monday)
Well that crushes my dream of an A10 takeover of MSG
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Charles Barkley - Name the Mascot - George Washington Colonials - Creighton Friars

1 x