Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago I would love to see him come here but why wouldn’t he take a P5 job with far more resources and deeper pockets? I don’t mean to be pessimistic, I just don’t think it’s realistic. He would be regressing to a situation behind what he was in at Dayton.
Matt Keebler: Archie Miller isn’t a realistic candidate for Rhody

Jon Rothstein, national reporter and insider: Archie Miller is a serious candidate for Rhody.

Hmmm I wonder who I’ll trust.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Lots of bad-mouthing by Indiana fans. Does that give anyone pause?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….Matt, have some cookies……
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Lots of bad-mouthing by Indiana fans. Does that give anyone pause?
First four in Indiana? No
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago I don’t even care if we are a stepping stone at this point, let’s gooooooooo
We are always going to be a stepping stone. I came to that realization finally with Hurley. I guess the good news is it means we probably would have made the tourney if a coach left us for a bigger school
5 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Lots of bad-mouthing by Indiana fans. Does that give anyone pause?
No
2 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Zero. He’s proven that he can win in this league.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This song is on repeat
Last edited by steveystuds06 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They also bad mouthed Al Durham, how’d that work out?

Archie didn’t bring them to the tournament / they also just won a play in game last night.

So obviously, they’re all thinking and saying, “See Archie sucks. We didn’t need him.”
1 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Gunboat wrote: 2 years ago If any amount earned by Archie reduces the amount Indiana owes him dollar for dollar, maybe he is willing to sign with URI on the cheap. It makes no difference if URI is paying him $500k or $2 million, he’s still making the same $3 million ( or whatever the buyout is) at the end of the day. Archie could ask instead that URI put the money towards program enhancements. It’s a win-win for everybody except IU.

Didn’t think of that Gunboat, good point.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago I would love to see him come here but why wouldn’t he take a P5 job with far more resources and deeper pockets? I don’t mean to be pessimistic, I just don’t think it’s realistic. He would be regressing to a situation behind what he was in at Dayton.
That's assuming the P5 jobs are reaching out.
Really good point Stevie , maybe schools like Florida LSU Maryland Kansas St etc … are targeting others or want to wait , Archie may not be a slam dunk for them like he would be for us so makes sense we go after him early
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago I don’t even care if we are a stepping stone at this point, let’s gooooooooo
We are always going to be a stepping stone. I came to that realization finally with Hurley. I guess the good news is it means we probably would have made the tourney if a coach left us for a bigger school
We can be a perpetual stepping stone and still be a consistent top 4 A10 team if the right support and infrastructure is in place so that when the next coach moves up, we can both attract a great replacement and they tools for success will be in place. That said, we don't necessarily have to be a stepping stone - go back to 1997 when for some reason we inexplicably never signed Al Skinner's next contract and he was lured away by BC. Now we did get Harrick who lead Al's team to an eyelash of a Final Four, but if we sign that contract, he still gets to the NCAAs in 1998, then might take a step back, but we never steep to the lows of Jerry D and are probably more consistent over the next 12 years or whenever Al would decided to retire (though who knows if we have the Ryan Center - though I think Al Skinner was advocating for it before JH was).

Of course that's all speculation because none of this happened. But the point is if we are willing to put the funds, then we won't necessarily be a stepping stone and/or it won't matter if we are.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Lot of bad mouthing from a fan base that didn't deserve to be in the tourney over Dayton and other "next 4 to 8 out" teams.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Lamar as an assistant! It would be like when we had both Hurley’s, coach and ex nba star!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Lamar as an assistant! It would be like when we had both Hurley’s, coach and ex nba star!
….No…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t have the problem being a stepping stone means Archie will have led us back to prominence and the ncaas before he goes P5
If that does happen we need to get his replacement right next time can’t miss like we did on Cox
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Let’s hopefully get this done real quick before other jobs like Xavier become open , be such a let down now if we don’t get our guy after all the reports out there
Unless...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

3/16/2022. Archie is still available and the conspiracy continues.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I’m not an Archie Miller guy and shake my head yes when people list the strikes against him. With that said, Miller should get URI above where we have been recently and could mean we accomplish more with him. I wonder if he learned anything from his failure that would increase the likelihood of success. If he comes here it will be good and instantly change the mood. He’s not a magician though.

Not sure the big jobs ppl are throwing around here are in play for Miller. His profile is elevated on this board more than it is in the general cbb world.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 years ago I don’t have the problem being a stepping stone means Archie will have led us back to prominence and the ncaas before he goes P5
If that does happen we need to get his replacement right next time can’t miss like we did on Cox
I just want to break the cycle:

Kraft retires, fall to obscurity. Penders brings us back. Goes to Texas, Takes Skinner a few years to get going. Harrick brings Skinner's players to the Elite 8 and almost to the final 4 then an A10 championship completing probably the best 4 year run in Rhody history or at least since the Keaney years. Jerry D error, then the "safe" Baron hire. Hurley brings us back, then leaves and the next hire Cox slides us back. I want to break the cycle either by having the next coach be here and highly successful over the next 15-20 years or we're still a stepping stone, but a turn key program where the next coach steps in and keeps it going (or betters the prior coach).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I don’t have the problem being a stepping stone means Archie will have led us back to prominence and the ncaas before he goes P5
I just want to break the cycle:

Kraft retires, fall to obscurity. Penders brings us back. Goes to Texas, Takes Skinner a few years to get going. Harrick brings Skinner's players to the Elite 8 and almost to the final 4 then an A10 championship completing probably the best 4 year run in Rhody history or at least since the Keaney years. Jerry D error, then the "safe" Baron hire. Hurley brings us back, then leaves and the next hire Cox slides us back. I want to break the cycle either by having the next coach be here and highly successful over the next 15-20 years or we're still a stepping stone, but a turn key program where the next coach steps in and keeps it going (or betters the prior coach).
The key is the investment. An Archie Hire would be a break from that tradition and start a new cycle where we actually commit and invest in basketball.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Archie can do for us, what he did at Dayton [4 NCAA's in 6 yrs] they will erect a statue of him in front of the Ryan Center.

Maybe not lol, but I would certainly take those results.

And yes, Archie will hold URI responsible for the promises that they make to bring him here.

As Dan said, you have to keep after them to get things done.

Then Thorr's expectations finally have a realistic chance of being met.

Boosters will, and will continue to, support a winner.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

This wouldn't have been a problem 4 years ago if we had better infrastructure in place that would have either helped make Cox better by a better assistant pool, etc and/or if we hired a splash that was available at the time. This won't be a problem in 4-6 years from now if Archie leaves for another plumb job and we have the infrastructure in place to keep the momentum going instead of letting it die on the vine.
Disagree strongly. You could have given Cox the same facilities and budgets as Kentucky, and it would still have been Cox calling the CoxTO(tm)s, Cox taking Jeff Dowtin off the ball, Cox letting the twins walk it up and jack up threes.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

And don't forget Archie was not a total failure at Indiana. They would have been in the 2020 tournament if not for covid. Just needed more time to get it rolling and they weren't patient enough, because there's no doubt he can coach. We all saw it. We saw how well those Dayton teams were coached.
6 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I sure hope it is "MILLER TIME". It will mean that URI is stepping up financially in support of MBB.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

This is the lead story on ESPN's men's basketball page. Sounds like we're close!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ources-say
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The first 2 years most of the Dayton board thought Archie was a bust....but boy did that turn around.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago And don't forget Archie was not a total failure at Indiana. They would have been in the 2020 tournament if not for covid. Just needed more time to get it rolling and they weren't patient enough, because there's no doubt he can coach. We all saw it. We saw how well those Dayton teams were coached.
That’s true and it’s just not easy to win @ IU , the Big 10 has been the best overall conference in the past 5 years and he had them competitive
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote: 2 years ago This the lead story on ESPN's men's basketball page.

Good article, but the presser talk means to me either they have already agreed to a deal, or are much closer than that piece indicates.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 2 years ago This is the lead story on ESPN's men's basketball page. Sounds like we're close!

Great article I love how it says mutual interest and the sides are working on making an agreement, this is fantastic news baby !!
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Waiting for the presser to be scheduled......the sooner the better, for all our health......
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago PUT YOUR FUCKING TIN FOIL HATS ON FOLKS.
I got my tinfoil hat, gloves, scarf, jacket and boots on tight!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

NJRhodyFan wrote: 2 years ago This is the lead story on ESPN's men's basketball page. Sounds like we're close!

F46D5DA4-C896-43C3-8B30-9DD63367C211.jpeg
Now that’s what I’m talking about!
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I sure hope it is "MILLER TIME". It will mean that URI is stepping up financially in support of MBB.
And miller on tap at the Ryan.
4 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

F46D5DA4-C896-43C3-8B30-9DD63367C211.jpeg

Now that’s what I’m talking about!
Yes that’s what we are talking about baby the infrastructure!!!
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago All I can say is it seems legit based on the the number of national writers posting it. URI has the most to gain so I'd say the leak is coming from their side, maybe hoping it would make it harder for Archie to change his mind.
Dan is talking highly of URI, the state and the job to media in Buffalo and I'm guessing he told Archie the same things.
I'm hearing press conference early in week as to not get overshadowed by games.
Keep the defibrillator handy ...
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Don’t discount the impact of PCs magical season on our coaching search. It put pressure on us. It showed a new President how big hoops can be in the state and the media attention a winning program brings a school.
9 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Oh it's fuckin happening
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Pete Thamel is one of the more credible writers. He’s almost as good as Iggy. 😜
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I sure hope it is "MILLER TIME". It will mean that URI is stepping up financially in support of MBB.
And miller on tap at the Ryan.
Whoa....easy....don't wreck it
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Don’t discount the impact of PCs magical season on our coaching search. It put pressure on us. It showed a new President how big hoops can be in the state and the media attention a winning program brings a school.
Mail your thank you note to Ed Cooley
3 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

The Thamel article makes it seem like it’s done but we’re just doing the whole 2 week charade thing… right?
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Don’t discount the impact of PCs magical season on our coaching search. It put pressure on us. It showed a new President how big hoops can be in the state and the media attention a winning program brings a school.
Those are GREAT points. Right now we've taken a back seat not only to PC but Bryant too for f*cks sake. It's time to get relevant again!
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No 2 weeks needed. Presser in 5 to 7 days it looks like.
..it will be a long 5 to 7 days
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago No 2 weeks needed. Presser in 5 to 7 days it looks like.
I wonder how this hire will affect season ticket sales
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

"At Rhode Island, Miller will replace David Cox". Interesting language there. Sounds a bit presumptive. 🤔
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

If Coach Miller ends up here what a job by Thor. He truly is such a positive, passionate and tremendous representative of our Great Institution. Special thanks to the Boosters who have obviously stepped up big time. The role of our President who seems to be outstanding for his support to Athletics. I would also like to thank Coach Hurley who I'm sure conversed with Archie and spoke highly of us. If this happens its a game changer. The program enhancements and fiscal commitment will now make us true players in the A-10. Wow!
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago No 2 weeks needed. Presser in 5 to 7 days it looks like.
I wonder how this hire will affect season ticket sales
Hopefully through the roof !!
3 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

spar wrote: 2 years ago

"At Rhode Island, Miller will replace David Cox". Interesting language there. Sounds a bit presumptive. 🤔
I also found the word choice there interesting. “Miller would replace David Cox” seems more appropriate at this point. Sounds as close to a done deal as it can be.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They’ll have to bring back their Miller Lite sponsorship.
2 x
Go Rhody