Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by adam914 »

Incredible news!!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan could be the guy that helped Archie make the decision....makes him a hero in my book.
9 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago All I can say is it seems legit based on the the number of national writers posting it. URI has the most to gain so I'd say the leak is coming from their side, maybe hoping it would make it harder for Archie to change his mind.
Dan is talking highly of URI, the state and the job to media in Buffalo and I'm guessing he told Archie the same things.
I'm hearing press conference early in week as to not get overshadowed by games.
Makes sense that DH and Arch would talk if Arch was thinking of URI job , nice to see DH talk highly of the job means a lot
9 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lamar must be devastated.
8 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan's already a hero in my book, and I'm not surprised that he would want our school and the fan base to have championship level basketball again.

He really felt loved and appreciated for what he did here.
7 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Dan could be the guy that helped Archie make the decision....makes him a hero in my book.
Absolutely believe that Archie reached out to Dan. I know they had conversations about the Indiana job in 2017.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Dan could be the guy that helped Archie make the decision....makes him a hero in my book.
Will never understand the constant hate towards Hurley from a few people here.

Brought this program back to national relevance, and didn’t trash us whatsoever on his way out to a better program.
16 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Will never understand the constant hate towards Hurley from a few people here.

Brought this program back to national relevance, and didn’t trash us whatsoever on his way out to a better program.
ABSOLUTELY

Is Archie our coach yet???
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The fact that Archie Miller knows URI and knows Thorr Bjorn could be advantages. Archie knows that URI has had success in the past under previous coaches. He is very familiar with the school and area having visited numerous times with his Dayton team. He likely also has some relationship with Thorr. The stability of the overall athletic dept with Thorr as AD for the last 15 years might appeal to him. That is something that a place like UMass with FBS aspirations may not be able to offer. Given that Archie has already made good money at both Indiana and Dayton getting a $10.35 buyout last year from the Hoosiers might enable him to not be as focused on just compensation. He was under a lot of pressure at both his previous gigs, especially in Bloomington. The expectations are lower in Kingston and he may be looking for that after his four year crucible in Indiana. I would think however that he will want major commitments so that he can achieve and sustain success if he were to come to URI.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago All I can say is it seems legit based on the the number of national writers posting it. URI has the most to gain so I'd say the leak is coming from their side, maybe hoping it would make it harder for Archie to change his mind.
Dan is talking highly of URI, the state and the job to media in Buffalo and I'm guessing he told Archie the same things.
As good as national writers like Borzello and Goodman are, they have absolutely no connection to URI. Rothstein had much more during Hurley URI years, hopefully he still does
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we'll this is exciting
0 x
:lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The fact that Archie Miller knows URI and knows Thorr Bjorn could be advantages. Archie knows that URI has had success in the past under previous coaches. He is very familiar with the school and area having visited numerous times with his Dayton team. He likely also has some relationship with Thorr. The stability of the overall athletic dept with Thorr as AD for the last 15 years might appeal to him. That is something that a place like UMass with FBS aspirations may not be able to offer. Given that Archie has already made good money at both Indiana and Dayton getting a $10.35 buyout last year from the Hoosiers might enable him to not be as focused on just compensation. He was under a lot of pressure at both his previous gigs, especially in Bloomington. The expectations are lower in Kingston and he may be looking for that after his four year crucible in Indiana. I would think however that he will want major commitments so that he can achieve and sustain success if he were to come to URI.

How pissed is Indiana gonna be when Archie guides us to the first undefeated season since Bobby Knight did it back in the day?

What a kick in the nuts that’ll be for Indiana fans.
4 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
ARCHIE MILLER WILL BE A RHODE ISLAND RAM. SPEAK IT INTO EXISTANCE.

What can we do?

Panic. My body, stress level, breathing, and general attitude have been in a state of panic for the last 12+ hours since I've started a Charlie Kelly mailroom conspiracy board in my office. My body isn't sure if I'm having a stroke or heart attack, and I legitimately think both ways to kill me are fighting so hard in opposite directions that I should be dead - but my will to see Archie on the sidelines in the Ryan Center is so strong that I am forcing a standard, yet elevated, heart rate to keep my body alive.

That's literally all I can think of right now. It's after midnight and I can't sleep.

But in the meantime, put on your tinfoil hat, join the fanclub, and let's go for a ride.

*but legit if this doesn't happen I will die.
^^ We are here.
By the way if this happens you all better give Blueman props because people laughed at him when he said this was possible!!!

Please get this done!!!!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Must fun this board has had in months
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I don’t even care if we are a stepping stone at this point, let’s gooooooooo
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Do you realize how the season tickets would spike immediately? Thorr it's not a dummy and he knows we can achieve at a big level
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If it happens I will first apologize to him and then give him props.
However, the real hero here will be Thorr.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man, ElmCity (even though the the song lyrics are weird) and blueram have been the three biggest ones pushing/thinking this was a legit possibility.

Let’s hope they have spoken this into existence.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Must fun this board has had in months
*years
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago I don’t even care if we are a stepping stone at this point, let’s gooooooooo
This wouldn't have been a problem 4 years ago if we had better infrastructure in place that would have either helped make Cox better by a better assistant pool, etc and/or if we hired a splash that was available at the time. This won't be a problem in 4-6 years from now if Archie leaves for another plumb job and we have the infrastructure in place to keep the momentum going instead of letting it die on the vine.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago ...
Given that Archie has already made good money at both Indiana and Dayton getting a $10.35 buyout last year from the Hoosiers might enable him to not be as focused on just compensation.
Yes, exactly. Archie's Indiana buyout includes an offset clause which will mean whatever Rhode Island pays him the first few years will be dollar-for-dollar reduced from his buyout package. He's freakin' rich and will want to get back to winning really fast which requires "infrastructure" (say it like Baron) and massive institutional commitment.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Archie will want the $ to hire Kenya Hunter and or Tom Ostrom. He won't settle for the kind of staff Cox had
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Archie will want the $ to hire Kenya Hunter and or Tom Ostrom. He won't settle for the kind of staff Cox had
Works for me.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Archie will want the $ to hire Kenya Hunter and or Tom Ostrom. He won't settle for the kind of staff Cox had
Alright deal
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man, ElmCity (even though the the song lyrics are weird) and BlueMan have been the three biggest ones pushing/thinking this was a legit possibility.

So you would be happy with the hire?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Iggy getting Archie would be a slam dunk, I didn't expect.
But very doubtful Hunter or Ostrom would even consider coming here, even though they are close with Archie.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Job posting expires Friday, March 25th, so they can announce a new head coach as early as Saturday the 26th, with a press conference on Monday the 28th
Thanks that’s the info I was looking for.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
But very doubtful Hunter or Ostrom would even consider coming here, even though they are close with Archie.
You are wrong an awful lot, aren't you.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

WHERE IS BLUEMAN???!!!!!!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago WHERE IS BLUEMAN???!!!!!!
He's hyperventilating in a paper bag. He'll be fine after drinking tonight. lol.
5 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Nah, he's feeling quite well, if not a big jittery.
1 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Great news and hope it happens! Didn't think Archie would come back to the A10 but stoked by these rumors. Would be a game-changing hire.

Not surprised but great to hear Danny talking up Rhody and RI!

Now that we've moved on from Dave, it's about time we invite Dan and the fam back to the Ryan Center to induct him into the URI Athletic HOF?

Go Rhody!

Archie or Bust!!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man, ElmCity (even though the the song lyrics are weird) and BlueMan have been the three biggest ones pushing/thinking this was a legit possibility.

So you would be happy with the hire?
Yes. Think that goes without saying.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, but Hunter started his coaching career as an assistant in the A10 and moved up since.
Doubtful he would go backwards, considering he is one of the top assistants in the country.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yes, but Hunter started his coaching career as an assistant in the A10 and moved up since.
Doubtful he would go backwards, considering he is one of the top assistants in the country.
$$
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Archie Miller starting his head coaching career in the A10, and look where he is now (please god).
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
As good as national writers like Borzello and Goodman are, they have absolutely no connection to URI. Rothstein had much more during Hurley URI years, hopefully he still does
Their connection is Archie. So anything you’re hearing is from the Archie side from them.

Rothstein has ears everywhere, including our athletic department.

As for me, my resting heart rate is a mild concern to myself and a growing concern for my wife.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago I don’t even care if we are a stepping stone at this point, let’s gooooooooo

I’m not your stepping stone
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Well I guess I’ll be refreshing Twitter and this page every 2 mins for the foreseeable future…….c’mon Thorr you got this
2 x
Clapton is God
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So many Indiana twitter trolls on that post

Someone saying he will be a "stain on the state and university" lolol
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Archie Miller starting his head coaching career in the A10, and look where he is now (please god).
He isn't here yet, although we are all hoping he will be.

It's different as an assistant, especially with Hunter's reputation.
He is still at Indiana, and I don't think he is unhappy there.
Besides many P6 opportunities if this one doesn't work out.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The fact that Archie Miller knows URI and knows Thorr Bjorn could be advantages. Archie knows that URI has had success in the past under previous coaches. He is very familiar with the school and area having visited numerous times with his Dayton team. He likely also has some relationship with Thorr. The stability of the overall athletic dept with Thorr as AD for the last 15 years might appeal to him. That is something that a place like UMass with FBS aspirations may not be able to offer. Given that Archie has already made good money at both Indiana and Dayton getting a $10.35 buyout last year from the Hoosiers might enable him to not be as focused on just compensation. He was under a lot of pressure at both his previous gigs, especially in Bloomington. The expectations are lower in Kingston and he may be looking for that after his four year crucible in Indiana. I would think however that he will want major commitments so that he can achieve and sustain success if he were to come to URI.

How pissed is Indiana gonna be when Archie guides us to the first undefeated season since Bobby Knight did it back in the day?

What a kick in the nuts that’ll be for Indiana fans.
Couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase....
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Oh baby
Monday or Tuesday I’ll be there!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Their connection is Archie. So anything you’re hearing is from the Archie side from them.

Rothstein has ears everywhere, including our athletic department.

As for me, my resting heart rate is a mild concern to myself and a growing concern for my wife.
Spinning this in my head on my drive home tonight, the one thing that has me worried is that based on what I know about who knows who, the two leaks coming from national guys at the exact same time led me to believe they came from the Miller camp. A leak from the Miller camp could mean several things, but I can’t shake the feeling that in this scenario the most likely reason for the Miller camp to leak would be to shake the trees a little bit - if anyone out there with a higher profile job open wants him, now is the time to get it done because it’s going to be too late soon.

Granted, I know nothing here. I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Just trying to stay sober about things. Signing Archie right now would be one of the biggest moves this program has ever made. Even in my doomsday scenario above, it would mean we are trying and maybe if nobody intervenes we will get it done. Just won’t spike the ball until we are all the way the hell into the endzone on this one and the ref has his hands up and they put the points on the board.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gunboat
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Gunboat »

If any amount earned by Archie reduces the amount Indiana owes him dollar for dollar, maybe he is willing to sign with URI on the cheap. It makes no difference if URI is paying him $500k or $2 million, he’s still making the same $3 million ( or whatever the buyout is) at the end of the day. Archie could ask instead that URI put the money towards program enhancements. It’s a win-win for everybody except IU.
7 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The buyout was 10.5M
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Doesn’t Archie do some kind of podcast with Goodman ??
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I need a cigarette. And I've never smoked.
6 x
Mobley was fouled.
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

I would love to see him come here but why wouldn’t he take a P5 job with far more resources and deeper pockets? I don’t mean to be pessimistic, I just don’t think it’s realistic. He would be regressing to a situation behind what he was in at Dayton.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago I would love to see him come here but why wouldn’t he take a P5 job with far more resources and deeper pockets? I don’t mean to be pessimistic, I just don’t think it’s realistic. He would be regressing to a situation behind what he was in at Dayton.
That's assuming the P5 jobs are reaching out.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!