Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by giovanni »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think it’s kosher for an AD to fly to an NCAA site and hover around potential candidates or try to meet with them immediately after a Loss or between wins. So IMO Thorr being in Buffalo likely has little to do with our search. I would think those conversations are much less obvious and held closer to the vest. I also haven’t seen any list from anyone I would put much stock in yet. There are guys who have good sources I just don’t think there is tangible dirt to get out there yet.
Is it possible he is there just to watch UConn and his friend Danny and also PC, the program up the road, where he also has friends ?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think it’s kosher for an AD to fly to an NCAA site and hover around potential candidates or try to meet with them immediately after a Loss or between wins. So IMO Thorr being in Buffalo likely has little to do with our search. I would think those conversations are much less obvious and held closer to the vest. I also haven’t seen any list from anyone I would put much stock in yet. There are guys who have good sources I just don’t think there is tangible dirt to get out there yet.
My thoughts exactly.

It's going to be a great weekend, Buffalo is close enough to Kingston to make the trip, Thorr is an AD at a northeast school, and knows many of the teams and people involved.

Until something more comes from it, I'm just looking at it like a fun weekend trip for a college AD.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
My thoughts exactly.

It's going to be a great weekend, Buffalo is close enough to Kingston to make the trip, Thorr is an AD at a northeast school, and knows many of the teams and people involved.

Until something more comes from it, I'm just looking at it like a fun weekend trip for a college AD.
Yep, I wouldn't read too much into his being in Buffalo.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago TP: Hurley succeeded at URI. Cox didn't. Who or what would you blame other than Cox for his failure?
Ultimately the blame has to fall on Cox, but I do think the institutional challenges here are such that having no experience running a program puts the coach at a big disadvantage. The inability of a Hurley assistant to carry on what he was doing here gives me a lot of pause in trusting a different Hurley assistant to get us back to that. Compared to Kimani, Cox actually had a lot of advantages in that he was already here and knew everything about the program going into it.

It may be that the most important difference between Cox and Hurley is actually just ability and competence, but that’s hard to quantify and the obvious difference between them is that Hurley had already run a program and built it up from basically nothing before he got here. There was proof of concept. Cox hadn’t. Kimani hasn’t.

I’m not as out on the idea of hiring an assistant at some point again in the future as some people here are, because every coach has to get their first chance at some point. But considering the recent history I’d prefer that we try to stick closer to the Hurley-type of profile than the Cox-type of profile.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

I trust Ace with Kimani. However I'm not sold the assistant & lack of head coaching being the best choice for our program right now. I think this is the type of hire that you have to feel 100% in on. We need to get this one right. As we have seen surrounding yourself with a quality staff is critical. I'm just not sure we want another assistant that has not had the experience of running the ship and the relationships/ ability to bring in a quality staff that an experienced coach could do.

I think he is worth a look but I think our fans want more.
Last edited by MTK4L 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr has to interview a minimum of 3 candidates....so whoever might be the frontrunner, if there is one right now, he will have fall back options if the number one choice falls through.

Everyone has their list.....some are closer to reality than others.....only thing is that Thorr wants a hire by March 28th if at all possible.

Kimani like was said is worth a look, but we have no idea if he will be even be interviewed.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bobby was an associate HC here and went straight to Buffalo as the top HC. Worked out for them.
1 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m not saying it can’t work. I also think that situation was a little unique in that Bobby Hurley is a brand name in college basketball, which gave him access to players that otherwise were better than that program and conference. He also knocked it out the park with his staff - look at the success Nate Oats has had and consider how helpful his being on the staff was to Bobby.
4 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/mackalattack@thorrbjorn.. keep the conspiracy theories fired up
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

AD's usually go to tournament sites...and definitely to the FF, along with their coach...a big reason why Thorr wants a coach in place before then.

They do a lot of networking that weekend.
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

It is odd that Thorr would retweet that.. Then again we almost always overthink things.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Whatever that was it was deleted in a matter of minutes. This is why we need screen grabs and not links guys!
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can't tell what it is link says not available
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Sorry not a Twitter guy.. try rhodyryan@mackalattack.. just feeds into some of the craziness out there and where people's minds wander to
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

DH picked our last coach for us after he left for the promised land of Storrs. It was a miserable failure!!!
I’m all set on another assistant.
Why don’t we look somewhere else?

Or we could put a big statue in front if the RC and maybe hang a banner:
Dan Hurley stomped here!

All in favor of naming the court after him???

Wake me up when he makes the second weekend…
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Sorry not a Twitter guy.. try rhodyryan@mackalattack.. just feeds into some of the craziness out there and where people's minds wander to
Well what was it?
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Video of Hurley brothers taking crazy shots at Ryan center with Thorr.. title was all-star Oscar snub.. Thorr in stands.. must have been a hype for when they were here together..
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Sorry not a Twitter guy.. try rhodyryan@mackalattack.. just feeds into some of the craziness out there and where people's minds wander to
Well what was it?
This? With Bobby in it?
4FD78FA8-0C50-44AE-B2C3-C350096C1BE6.jpeg
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't even get the conspiracy here...the person who posted it tagged Thorr. All he did was reply.
Nothing to see here Bobby is not coming to Kingston. Never Ever Happening.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don't even get the conspiracy here...the person who posted it tagged Thorr. All he did was reply.
Nothing to see here Bobby is not coming to Kingston. Never Ever Happening.
Chill.. relax.. it's comedy.. just because of the timing and all the craziness being spewed on this forum. Between this and mlbtraderumors , I have never enjoyed reading so much. It is amazing how so many so called experts know so much. This is more entertainment than this season offered on the court. My philosophy on both fronts when it's official then I'm in, but this stuff is a blast to read..
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Frank Martin? Go!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Well what was it?
This? With Bobby in it?

4FD78FA8-0C50-44AE-B2C3-C350096C1BE6.jpeg

Really good find , how can you not get excited seeing both Hurley brothers wearing Rhode Island basketball shirts those were the days
1 x
CaliURIfan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by CaliURIfan »

According to the job ad posted on the URI site, they will be receiving applications until March 25th. Not sure how fast they can make a State job hire after that deadline.

https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/9616
1 x
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

Big Apple - you must have forgotten Dave Benedict was in Pittsburgh 4 years ago….
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CaliURIfan wrote: 2 years ago According to the job ad posted on the URI site, they will be receiving applications until March 25th. Not sure how fast they can make a State job hire after that deadline.

I'm hoping the hiring process is already done. As a state employee, does the new coach get a $3,000 retention covid bonus?
Last edited by theblueram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

nm
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

yes to Frank Martin
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Couldn’t the candidate be hired prior to the deadline?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Couldn’t the candidate be hired prior to the deadline?
Probably could be “hired” but not officially hired/announced till after that day.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CaliURIfan wrote: 2 years ago According to the job ad posted on the URI site, they will be receiving applications until March 25th. Not sure how fast they can make a State job hire after that deadline.

So 2 weeks. So I guess all those saying it's 30 days are wrong. I'm also guessing this doesn't need state approval, as DH or Cox didn't.
1 x
CaliURIfan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by CaliURIfan »

I am not sure how it is done in RI, but the public hiring process can be pretty prescriptive. The one we have in California is pretty onerous (I am sure noone is surprised).
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CaliURIfan wrote: 2 years ago I am not sure how it is done in RI, but the public hiring process can be pretty prescriptive. The one we have in California is pretty onerous (I am sure noone is surprised).
Not here anymore for a coach. Probably the best thing Dooley did.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Brian Forster wrote: 2 years ago what is Rhodys overall budget for athletics?
$62.50?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I don’t know much about hoop dirt but it doesn’t seem like they are even attempting to claim any sort of source and are just aggregating here - and not even sure that in URI’s case that is exceptionally good aggregating. But if what is being said here were true I think we can all agree that’s really bad.
HoopDirt is very plugged in. Former D3 New England head coach started the page a few years ago, and it's turned into probably the #1 stop for legitimate coaching information.
With that said, he specifically says "it's early". And just because those are names that he is hearing, it doesn't mean those are the final 2, or the only 2 that we are talking to. It probably just means multiple sources have mentioned those two names as possibilities.
I have followed hoopdirt for a while. He is very rarely right or even have names mentioned that get the job just check out the last URI job search.
That's because we deked everyone out last time, shook 'em off the trail. Everyone thought we were gonna zig...we zagged. (We shoulda just zigged.)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Middle of the A10 pack for BB budget, and falling rapidly.

A splash hire is needed to turn it around, it won't happen if it's up to just the school.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

From latest go local article:

According to multiple sources involved in the URI program, the University and boosters expect that the total compensation budget for the next coach may reach $1.25 million to $1.5 million a season.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago From latest go local article:

According to multiple sources involved in the URI program, the University and boosters expect that the total compensation budget for the next coach may reach $1.25 million to $1.5 million a season.
This helps
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Let’s hope they’re more accurate than they usually are.
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is Cordischi still the Go Local college basketball guy?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago

Let’s hope they’re more accurate than they usually are.
It’s a pretty shitty outlet, but didn’t they “break” the Hurley news before more legitimate media outlets had it?

It was probably more of an educated guess than turned out to be correct, but I’m pretty sure they were the first ones to announce Hurley.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Couldn’t the candidate be hired prior to the deadline?
Maybe we can hire the guy anytime but it won’t be official until late March ??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

People are free to agree with each about things at any time.
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I would take Frank Martin over any other candidate that has been mentioned so far.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Just some thought on Cox and Thorr shuffling off to Buffalo.

There is a big difference between moving up to head coach in a program where you are an assistant and moving up to head coach with a different program. Assistant coaches are friends with players and are not viewed as decision makers. It is difficult to change your relationship with people when you are elevated to being their boss.

Everyone in Buffalo knows Thorr is looking for a head coach. Assistant and head coaches looking to move will want to have a conversation with him. What's he looking for in a new coach. What type of person will he be to work for. Thorr will not be making any offers in Buffalo nor will he pick up any resumes until the season is over. Agents of coaches looking to move will want to talk to Thorr to find out what he has to offer. There are numerous potential candidates in Buffalo and agents will represent clients who are not there.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

1.25 to 1.5 million a year is the minimum needed to bring in a coach who has had prior success.

Also the assistant budget needs to increase, and not by a small amount either.

if we want to compete on a regular basis with the Daytons and VCU's it has to be done.

No more cheaping out on a Cox type hire.

I am confident we will hire someone who will fit the bill.

That eliminates quite a few of the names on lists that have been posted here.

Someone who can recruit, and run a coherent offense would be nice.

We were told Cox would do that, and couldn't have been more wrong.

Think point guards....every time Rhody has been good, we've had a good to great point guard.

That has to happen again, at the very least.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I agree with Rambone78, nut I'm not optimistic that it will happen. It represents a big increase in expenditures at time when we have lost paying customers for good, we are on the hook to pay Cox $300K the next 2 years, we have little talent returning, and we have to retain Tammi Reiss. Consider the difficulty we have funding the practice facility.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I agree with Rambone78, nut I'm not optimistic that it will happen. It represents a big increase in expenditures at time when we have lost paying customers for good, we are on the hook to pay Cox $300K the next 2 years, we have little talent returning, and we have to retain Tammi Reiss. Consider the difficulty we have funding the practice facility.
What a ray of morning sunshine.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I agree with Rambone78, nut I'm not optimistic that it will happen. It represents a big increase in expenditures at time when we have lost paying customers for good, we are on the hook to pay Cox $300K the next 2 years, we have little talent returning, and we have to retain Tammi Reiss. Consider the difficulty we have funding the practice facility.
What a ray of morning sunshine.
I really wish I was as good at ANYTHING as R72 is at trolling this board
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

72 is forgetting about the boosters.

Without them he would be right.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I listened to part of a coaching search show on Twitter last night . It was run by the UMass insider Curry Hicks Malaise. A couple of nuggets that he and his guests said. He appears to be pretty plugged in fwiw.

He said he heard Archie Miller would be most interested in GW job for A10 openings. He said his wife likes city living and he doesn't think Archie would even consider UMass Said nothing about URI. Also Archie would really like PC job if it opens up, not sure what that comment was.

Said Anthony Grant is in play to return the Florida at which point Archie would be the logical candidate to go back to Dayton

It seems UMass fans want ,#1Martin & #2 Young. Then mentioned Langel, Todd Golden (as a very long shot from SF) & Dwayne Killings

He said UMass would offer in the range of 1.5 million probably that being the max.

Shaheen Holloway is a rising star who's a relentless worker and can really recruit .He will be on SH radar if Willard's leaves.

Frank Martin had begged for a UConn interview when they hired Dan and would more than likely be very interested in St John's or Seton Hall if they opened up

Had a guy supposedly an insider on the New Jersey scene and both of them thought that it was a definite possibility that Bob Hurley could return to coach either Seton Hall or SJU if they opened up

It was also said that John Becker is a very,very strange guy but an excellent coach . Basically the personality of a rock

Even though he really liked Langel, and the guy can really coach said he's a bit strange as well and questioned his ability to recruit at the a-10 level.

With all SEC jobs open he expects a couple of them to throw big money to try to lure Rick P. Also St John's could make a big push.

Also said Wojo will be in mix for A 10 type job.

Talked very highly of John Carroll from NMH would Make a wonderful assistant somewhere was hoping UMass would contact him.

Also talked highly of Mike Rice has a coach and the great work he's doing with AAU teams and kids trying to recover his reputation. Called him a great coach to who would be an incredible asset to any team and is willing to just get his foot in the door somewhere, anywhere and even be a 2nd or 3rd assistant in a division 1 program

I'm not familiar with the guy and a friend actually pointed out that he was having a show about the coaching carousel..But him and 1 or 2 of his guests seen pretty plugged in especially him with UMass
2 x