Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Malik, Leggett exploring 2022 transfer market

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Isn't the portal public for anyone to see?

Berry probably officially entered the portal shortly before he posted his tweet.
I think so? In any event I'm 100% certain the operators of Verbal Commits have access to it.
Mmm, I'm positive about that. Makes sense, given how specialty of a site they're running.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry exploring 2022 transfer market

Unread post by ace »

The option to still return to Rhode Island sounds like when you run into an acquaintance and say you should absolutely make plans to get together soon. Sure, it could happen, but we know how it’s likely to go down.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago The 3 seem to have written this together as it's all similar writing.

I wonder if Tres will try to play with his bro up north.
I doubt PC gives out a scholarship for a charity case. Just for a story?

Berry couldn't play in the A10, why would the Big East regular season champs**** offer him a spot?
2 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago Don't panic it will all work out fine.
Players leave new one come in. If we have the right coach the players will come and play at a high level. I think next year will be a successful season. I'm thinking positive
I don’t think anyone here is panicking about these transfers.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

With all due respect to the players that have thrown their name in the portal and those that will, unfortunately this is pretty much or is a total rebuild. I hope every player comes back and see what happens with a new coach. But if they choose not to, that's their option and I wish them the best. Talents like Lamar Odom should not be able to hold a program hostage, let alone much lesser talents. It's wise for any of them to do this until the situation clears up and we know who the coach is. There is obviously a lot of emotion when you lose your coach who was a very good mentor and a friend. But the next coach may as well be a good or great mentor and help each individual more from a coaching standpoint.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If we hire the right coach he will retain/attract the right players. I would expect every kid to enter the portal and wait it out while they evaluate other options.
6 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I hope they come back with the printed programs with rosters next year because we aren't going to know anyone.. also hope they hold off asking for season ticket money until there's some stability...
1 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Thank you for your time. Give me Martin all day. That's a guy that can help any team. The other two are not A10 level talent. I'd rather have our new coach bringing in his guys that fit his system. If these players could not start with this past seasons talent level we are not missing much.
3 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Not sure where Verbal Commits got the info from, but Berry makes it "official" on his Twitter a couple minutes later anyway:

Isn't the portal public for anyone to see?

Berry probably officially entered the portal shortly before he posted his tweet.
The transfer portal isn’t public, technically you need permission to access the names. However, sites like Rivals/247 Sports use login credentials provided to them by compliance directors, SIDs and assistant coaches.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder when the Mitchells post, if theirs will include 'with the option of returning to URI' part.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

FmrRamFB1 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Not sure where Verbal Commits got the info from, but Berry makes it "official" on his Twitter a couple minutes later anyway:

Isn't the portal public for anyone to see?

The transfer portal isn’t public, technically you need permission to access the names. However, sites like Rivals/247 Sports use login credentials provided to them by compliance directors, SIDs and assistant coaches.
Yeah - Poking into this a bit, it looks like if you have access to the portal, you also have access to personal information and some limited academic information. Makes sense why they would limit it to people with valid credentials, although I imagine that group is so large, those sites definitely have access to the portal as information is posted.
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Honestly - They can all transfer... I won't miss any of them. The focus should be on the right coach and build from there.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

To people on Twitter crapping on college kids for transferring: be better.
9 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

when a player enters the portal is he giving up his rhody schoolie;is rhody obligated to reinstate him if he does not accepy a transfer
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm going to guess we lose at least half the roster.....the new coach is going to have a LOT of work to do...this is a rebuild almost on the order of what Dan had to do when he came here.

Of course, with the talent level of this roster, maybe that's not such a bad thing.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago Honestly - They can all transfer... I won't miss any of them. The focus should be on the right coach and build from there.
This is how I feel also. The team will be interesting next year even if it is a rebuild
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago To people on Twitter crapping on college kids for transferring: be better.
I was just about to tweet something until I read this...
Its not that they are transferring that bothers me - its this "option of returning" clause they are adding. What an absolute joke. Be a man - if you want out - leave, if you want to stay - stay.

They are all adult enough to publicly post they aren't happy with their current situation at URI, yet we aren't allowed to comment on the "kids" post. Should we also be welcoming and accepting when it doesnt work out elsewhere?

Have a breakup and then tell that person - "hey we should keep in touch though so when I am done being a whoremaster Ill maybe come back to you".
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago when a player enters the portal is he giving up his rhody schoolie;is rhody obligated to reinstate him if he does not accepy a transfer
No
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I'd like to see Martin and Leggett stay, I think they are the kind of players you need on your team, hard working tough kids who can give you 10-15 minutes a game at the A10 level. Neither of them should see starter minutes, but they are 2 guys I'd want on my team in a reserve role.
1 x
RamFan89
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RamFan89 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago To people on Twitter crapping on college kids for transferring: be better.
Its not that they are transferring that bothers me - its this "option of returning" clause they are adding. What an absolute joke. Be a man - if you want out - leave, if you want to stay - stay.

They are all adult enough to publicly post they aren't happy with their current situation at URI, yet we aren't allowed to comment on the "kids" post. Should we also be welcoming and accepting when it doesnt work out elsewhere?

Have a breakup and then tell that person - "hey we should keep in touch though so when I am done being a whoremaster Ill maybe come back to you".
Can you really blame them? And why are you taking it so personal like a breakup? If you were recruited to a school by someone and that someone left, wouldn't you be tempted to leave?

I have no problem with what they're doing. They need to act in their own best interest, be it staying here or moving on. A new coach may not give them the minutes they want and might get elsewhere. Why not keep your options open if you can?
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

These 3 players will be getting recruited by new coaches in the portal.

They also (presumably) will be getting recruited by a new coach at Rhody.

If they like the new coach at Rhody and want to stay, I see no issue with that at all.

There were instances last season where kids put Their name in the portal but chose to return to their original school.
4 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t agree with any of this.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That would make sense if the coaches they decided to play for were still here but they're not so....? Your argument doesn't make sense here.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

saw where Chance wants to de-commit, no surprise…..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago There were instances last season where kids put Their name in the portal but chose to return to their original school.
George Mason even had a hashtag for it. #GetUpOutThePortal or something.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Zero issues with current players exploring the portal - no one knows who the next coach will be and what their opinion will be of these players. Malik has just one year left and he can help a winning team so it makes sense for him to leave. I doubt any new coach sees Leggett the same way Cox did (he is a good player off the bench on a top 25 team, maybe), and Berry is completely unknown but likely not an A10 player.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago There were instances last season where kids put Their name in the portal but chose to return to their original school.
George Mason even had a hashtag for it. #GetUpOutThePortal or something.
Josh Oduro who was Mason's best player this year went in the portal and new coach Kim English actively re-recruited him back. Smart decision by all as Oduro had a great year. Again the same theme applies...get the right coach and they will keep the right players.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Not knocking any player for doing what’s best for them, but with multiple players entering the portal on the same day does anyone think this is a coordinated effort to send a message to Thorr and the administration that they aren’t happy about the coaching change?

Doesn’t really matter but find it curious it’s a decommit and 4 entrants into the portal all within a matter of hours.
Last edited by RoadyJay 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Not knocking any player for doing what’s best for them, but with multiple players entering the portal on the same day does anyone think this is a coordinated effort to send a message to Thorr and the administration that they aren’t happy about the coaching change?
Not happy about what? Having a coach that gets beaten by every terrible A10 team except for Duquesne?! 😂😂
Last edited by RhodyRams916 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Not knocking any player for doing what’s best for them, but with multiple players entering the portal on the same day does anyone think this is a coordinated effort to send a message to Thorr and the administration that they aren’t happy about the coaching change?

Doesn’t really matter but find it curious it’s a decommit and 4 entrants into the portal
Eh, it wouldn't surprise me if the last team function before the off-season was yesterday or Saturday. It's also the day after the Selection Show - That had nothing to do with URI, but it often serves as a clearing marking point for plenty of squads between "season" and "postseason."
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Doesn’t really matter but find it curious it’s a decommit and 4 entrants into the portal
Who cares. If they felt so strongly about it they should have played better..
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man, this is embarrassing...
3 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The new NCAA. The amount of players entering the portal will increase each year not decrease.
"Student Athlete" will be a word of the past
NIL generated 500 million in money to athletes this past year
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I've heard the number could be as high as 9. It's almost to be expected when you get rid of a coach.
I 1000% disagree with "BlackDogRants". When you're a D1 college basketball player, you spend over 40 hours a week with your coach, participating in a program that your coach is in charge of. I think it's smart to take a step back and evaluate your options at least until you have the opportunity to meet the new coach. I would assume some sort of team meeting took place where this was discussed.
10 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago The new NCAA. The amount of players entering the portal will increase each year not decrease.
Lol. I don’t think any URI players were cashing in on NIL deals.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Doesn’t really matter but find it curious it’s a decommit and 4 entrants into the portal all within a matter of hours.
Not surprising at all, it's the Monday after Cox gets let go.
The season is over for us, the players have nothing to lose by entering the portal now and see the interest.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rjv wrote: 2 years ago The new NCAA. The amount of players entering the portal will increase each year not decrease.
This might shock you, but Lamar Odom wasn't exactly known for crackin' open his text books either. I'm fine with athletes being able to earn money through side promotions, like any other student would be. Better to have it out in the open, vs. weird, under the table deals with agents and loan sharks, like in the past. It'll stabilize at some point, just like every other change the NCAA has done over the years. Normal students don't have to "sit out" a year of studies if they decide they like URI better than College X, so I don't think athletes should magically be any different in most circumstances.
5 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker exploring 2022 transfer market

Walker

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Lol I love Bassy.

Now Bassy go practice shooting....
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That tweet makes it seem like he’s not going anywhere.
2 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How old is Antwan he want to play another year ??
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Our old friend DCRams on twitter encouraging Bassy to go in the portal. A true die hard move right there :roll:
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

No idea what Bassy may decide to do, I certainly hope he stays. But he is one of the few guys that doesn't have a DMV connection, is a Rhode Island guy and really wanted to be here, seemingly if it was Coach Cox or someone else. Most of our guys seem to have or do have a direct relationship with Cox.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Our old friend DCRams on twitter encouraging Bassy to go in the portal. A true die hard move right there :roll:
Seriously?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Our old friend DCRams on twitter encouraging Bassy to go in the portal. A true die hard move right there :roll:
Haha yep, he is replying to all the transfer tweets telling the players it's the right move because Rhody is "dead". So odd after he claimed for years to just be a Rhody fan like the rest of us!! :lol:
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Haha yep, he is replying to all the transfer tweets telling the players it's the right move because Rhody is "dead". So odd after he claimed for years to just be a Rhody fan like the rest of us!! :lol:
That’s some clown shit right there but also completely predictable 😂
9 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Anyone on Rhody twitter please start annihilating him. He’s a sitting duck.
1 x