Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I don’t know if you guys are aware but Thorr can do his entire job from literally anywhere on the planet that you can get a cell signal.
Sure, but you don’t want those messages where he asks Dan to get kicked out so he can watch Kimani coach in person on the record.

(a joke, not an endorsement of Kimani. although I would endorse Kimani)
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 2 years ago

Delusional
I'm not delusional. I only want the best. I bet you buy store brand bread.

We all want the best too, obviously.

But we’re not the best program and don’t have the best resources.

That’s the difference that you refuse to acknowledge and take into account, but that’s your opinion which is fine.
But I refuse to accept it. URI budget is over $2,000,000,000. That's 2 billion. You know what that is per student? $125K per student.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr is going to Buffalo to rep the A10 because he's already made a decision on a new coach.

April Fools! Oh wait it's still March!
How do we know Thorr going to Buffalo ?? Did he tweet ??
We don’t know what he’s doing Reef, we don’t know.
Reef,
It’s because Iggy mentioned it. I don’t doubt Iggy, especially during times like these.
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting that Thorr is headed to Buffalo
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

How do we know Thorr going to Buffalo ?? Did he tweet ??
Reef,
It’s because Iggy mentioned it. I don’t doubt Iggy, especially during times like these.
This is what bothers me.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Reef,
This is what bothers me.
Could be Kilmani, could be Becker, could be supporting a fellow A10 program, could just be it’s the most local site and he wants to stay visible.

Too many options.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I don’t know if you guys are aware but Thorr can do his entire job from literally anywhere on the planet that you can get a cell signal.
Sure, but you don’t want those messages where he asks Dan to get kicked out so he can watch Kimani coach in person on the record.

(a joke, not an endorsement of Kimani. although I would endorse Kimani)
Ace you're just covering up that Bobby will be in Buffalo to cheer on Dan! Teasing I love coaching changes especially when almost the entire fan base and the AD isn't promoting the wrong choice!

GO RHODY!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago

Let’s fuel these unsubstantiated rumors. But yeah, this appears to be the “source” -

This guy is a PC troll who is in my mentions constantly and rent-free.
I’ve never seen him before- there was a guy DaHoopster or something like that who definitely had uri rent free in his head.

Go Jackrabbits!
Yup. I know that guy also. He actually might be worse than this guy. Complete jerk
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I wouldn’t look into it that much I’m sure there are a number of reasons he’s going to Buffalo and I’m sure he’s working diligently to find us a decent coach
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Yeah I wouldn’t look into it that much I’m sure there are a number of reasons he’s going to Buffalo and I’m sure he’s working diligently to find us a decent coach
Yeah he’s an incredibly visible AD. NCAA tourneys are the place to be and network - regardless of your coaching targets.

It’s regional, makes sense he’d go. He goes pretty often.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Yeah I wouldn’t look into it that much I’m sure there are a number of reasons he’s going to Buffalo and I’m sure he’s working diligently to find us a decent coach
Yeah he’s an incredibly visible AD. NCAA tourneys are the place to be and network - regardless of your coaching targets.

It’s regional, makes sense he’d go. He goes pretty often.
Maybe Thorr is actually smarter than all of us because if Dan loses that 1st round game in Buffalo the freakin delusional psychos in the Boneyard are going to be calling for his head. Hurley back to Rhody!!!! :lol:

GO RHODY!
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

what is Rhodys overall budget for athletics?
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Maybe Thorr wants to see Niagara Falls.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I'm not delusional. I only want the best. I bet you buy store brand bread.

We all want the best too, obviously.

But we’re not the best program and don’t have the best resources.

That’s the difference that you refuse to acknowledge and take into account, but that’s your opinion which is fine.
But I refuse to accept it. URI budget is over $2,000,000,000. That's 2 billion. You know what that is per student? $125K per student.
What are you talking about? The budget is $812 million... https://www.uri.edu/about/facts/
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-14-22/

"A lot of names early at URI, but two getting the most attention are Bryant head coach Jared Grasso and New Mexico head coach Richard Pitino. Still early here though- more on this one soon."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know much about hoop dirt but it doesn’t seem like they are even attempting to claim any sort of source and are just aggregating here - and not even sure that in URI’s case that is exceptionally good aggregating. But if what is being said here were true I think we can all agree that’s really bad.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-14-22/

"A lot of names early at URI, but two getting the most attention are Bryant head coach Jared Grasso and New Mexico head coach Richard Pitino. Still early here though- more on this one soon."
Absolutely gross. Like done with men's basketball for four years, wake me up when we hire the next coach gross
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not overly impressed by Richard Pitino Jr. His career record is 171-155 (.525) with most of that time at Minnesota where he only had one season with an above .500 conference record. That win percentage is lower than David Cox (.538). Took the Gophers to two NCAA's and won the NIT in eight seasons. He has had a losing record in five of the 10 seasons he has been a head coach which suggests an up and down pattern. Only one of these losing seasons was in his first year at one of his three gigs (this past season at New Mexico). I understand that the Big Ten is a tough conference to compete in but it is also a league that can get 9 members into the tournament and offers many advantages other leagues do not have. Pitino had a relatively long 8 year run at Minnesota leaving only after having been fired after two consecutive losing seasons. He only spent one year at FIU, his first head coaching position, and appears to be open to leaving New Mexico after just a single season. These short stays with an eye on his next job remind me a bit of his father.

RICHARD PITINO JR HEAD COACHING RECORD
Richard Pitino Record.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe Thorr is going to Buffalo to be an interviewee, not an interviewer.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe Thorr is going to Buffalo to be an interviewee, not an interviewer.
You might be wrong on that one.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Teams playing in Buffalo:

Providence
Arkansas
Iowa
UConn
Richmond
New Mexico State
South Dakota State
Vermont

Obviously one of these things is not like the others.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:
Like it or not, most of us are well aware that Grasso's name will be constantly brought up with the URI opening.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes he will, until he isn't.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Teams playing in Buffalo:

Providence
Arkansas
Iowa
UConn
Richmond
New Mexico State
South Dakota State
Vermont

Kimani Moore also. Whether people like him or not, he has been a name thrown around
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I don’t know much about hoop dirt but it doesn’t seem like they are even attempting to claim any sort of source and are just aggregating here - and not even sure that in URI’s case that is exceptionally good aggregating. But if what is being said here were true I think we can all agree that’s really bad.
HoopDirt is very plugged in. Former D3 New England head coach started the page a few years ago, and it's turned into probably the #1 stop for legitimate coaching information.
With that said, he specifically says "it's early". And just because those are names that he is hearing, it doesn't mean those are the final 2, or the only 2 that we are talking to. It probably just means multiple sources have mentioned those two names as possibilities.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Absolutely gross. Like done with men's basketball for four years, wake me up when we hire the next coach gross

As unappealing as many of these lists seem and most do, I don't believe any of these guys/sites have any real connections to URI and are just throwing names out there that would or could be be potentially connected to URI. Guys with local or URI connections, coaches at low major that have been said pretty much in a consensus that they are guys who will be moving up when an opportunity arises. Coaches currently out of work , so on. I'm putting my faith in Thorr and his connections
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I don’t know much about hoop dirt but it doesn’t seem like they are even attempting to claim any sort of source and are just aggregating here - and not even sure that in URI’s case that is exceptionally good aggregating. But if what is being said here were true I think we can all agree that’s really bad.
HoopDirt is very plugged in. Former D3 New England head coach started the page a few years ago, and it's turned into probably the #1 stop for legitimate coaching information.
With that said, he specifically says "it's early". And just because those are names that he is hearing, it doesn't mean those are the final 2, or the only 2 that we are talking to. It probably just means multiple sources have mentioned those two names as possibilities.
I have followed hoopdirt for a while. He is very rarely right or even have names mentioned that get the job just check out the last URI job search.
Last edited by giovanni 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Teams playing in Buffalo:

Providence
Arkansas
Iowa
UConn
Richmond
New Mexico State
South Dakota State
Vermont

Kimani Moore also. Whether people like him or not, he has been a name thrown around
Is this a hybrid of Tom Moore and Kimani Young?
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think the bottom line with any of these rumors is if we like the rumor we'll believe it and if we don't like the rumor then the source doesn't know what they are talking about! That's not meant as a knock on anyone or anything, just the natural way that we as fans tend to react to these things. If HoopDirt comes out later connecting us to Archie then we'll all believe him.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I think the bottom line with any of these rumors is if we like the rumor we'll believe it and if we don't like the rumor then the source doesn't know what they are talking about! That's not meant as a knock on anyone or anything, just the natural way that we as fans tend to react to these things. If HoopDirt comes out later connecting us to Archie then we'll all believe him.
This is true. Hoopdirt was around back in 2012, I believe under the same name but maybe it was something different, I remember communicating with him on line as to potential candidates. I remember he sent me something that Andre Lafleur ,who was then a Cooley assistant at PC was the top name and was being interviewed and was almost certain to get the job. Other names he gave me were Bill Coen, Bob Walsh and Joe Dooley who was an assistant at Kansas. I asked him about Danny getting the job maybe because I had read his name here and he said you can always dream but not a shot. Needless to say, even though I've read his takes, I take nothing that he says with more than a grain of salt. Just my opinion
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I think the bottom line with any of these rumors is if we like the rumor we'll believe it and if we don't like the rumor then the source doesn't know what they are talking about! That's not meant as a knock on anyone or anything, just the natural way that we as fans tend to react to these things. If HoopDirt comes out later connecting us to Archie then we'll all believe him.
Spot. On.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This is well-said. I suppose I would believe a reporter more, if they were closely aligned with Thorr, but I'm not sure if that kind of relationship exists with anyone. He just doesn't seem like the type to be especially loose-lipped. I think the only leaks and information would be coming from 1) agents of coaches that want that job or want to use the job as leverage or 2) people connected to the program, with varying levels of access, but I kind of doubt any of them are completely reliable narrators. It's not hard to envision a scenario where some boosters talks to Thorr about the job and says, "Hey, you should consider Rick's son, Richard!", with Thorr happily nodding and smiling, but with zero intention of interviewing him.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hearing Becker is not under consideration but Kimani Young is.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Hearing Becker is not under consideration but Kimani Young is.
Good info… Becker must be radioactive right now for sure
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Thanks for the info IGGY. Greatly appreciated.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I have absolutely nothing against Kimani and don’t even really doubt that he will be a very good head coach in his career but for me it’s just a little too similar to our last hire that didn’t work. It would be relying on the same indicators and it would involve taking all of the same risks. If they end up going that route it really is a damning indictment of Cox by Thorr and co., because they’d essentially be saying “it wasn’t us and the situation here, but you,specifically, that was the problem.” I’m not 100% convinced that is the case.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Hearing Becker is not under consideration but Kimani Young is.
This is music to my ears.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Lower-level teams that win games in the NCAA generally have at least two or three A-10-caliber players. Find a coach of one of those teams who can take such players with him and hire him. I seem to remember someone doing exactly that to us a few years ago.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
Good info… Becker must be radioactive right now for sure
Considering he was one of the final four when we hired Cox I'd say you're right
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Young isn't a HOF coach with multiple Sweet 16s and Elite 8s, so some here will take a HARD PASS on him.

For me, I'd have almost no opinion on him seeing how he has no track record of a head coach (which I would want).

Seems like a strong and tied in recruiter, and a Hurley assistant. That home win against Villanova seemed to propel him into the spotlight.

He could turn out to be a tremendous head coach, or flame out in a few years and go back to being an assistant.

(Sounds familiar.)

But hey, maybe he could get Tyrese to transfer back for his last year!
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Reef,

This is what bothers me.
Could be Kilmani, could be Becker, could be supporting a fellow A10 program, could just be it’s the most local site and he wants to stay visible.

Too many options.
Maybe he just likes their wings.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I have absolutely nothing against Kimani and don’t even really doubt that he will be a very good head coach in his career but for me it’s just a little too similar to our last hire that didn’t work. It would be relying on the same indicators and it would involve taking all of the same risks. If they end up going that route it really is a damning indictment of Cox by Thorr and co., because they’d essentially be saying “it wasn’t us and the situation here, but you,specifically, that was the problem.” I’m not 100% convinced that is the case.
I can’t necessarily disagree with any of your points but also I just freaking love Kimani.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
This is true. Hoopdirt was around back in 2012, I believe under the same name but maybe it was something different, I remember communicating with him on line as to potential candidates. I remember he sent me something that Andre Lafleur ,who was then a Cooley assistant at PC was the top name and was being interviewed and was almost certain to get the job. Other names he gave me were Bill Coen, Bob Walsh and Joe Dooley who was an assistant at Kansas. I asked him about Danny getting the job maybe because I had read his name here and he said you can always dream but not a shot. Needless to say, even though I've read his takes, I take nothing that he says with more than a grain of salt. Just my opinion
Just because a guy is 0 for 5 doesn't mean he can't ever be right ... Just don't take stock or coach picks from him.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

TP: Hurley succeeded at URI. Cox didn't. Who or what would you blame other than Cox for his failure?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago TP: Hurley succeeded at URI. Cox didn't. Who or what would you blame other than Cox for his failure?
Baron also looks like John Wooden compared to Cox.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago TP: Hurley succeeded at URI. Cox didn't. Who or what would you blame other than Cox for his failure?
Not to put words in their mouth, but I wonder if our program and infrastructure are just not strong enough for someone with no previous head coaching experience to come in and be successful. I also think that the rebuild here is going to be so massive that bringing in an assistant with no head coaching experience would be an issue
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

In 4 years will we hire another Hurley assistant for 300K?

Will DH still be in Storrs?

Will he have made the second weekend?

Count me out.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just say no to Pitino Jr and Grasso , not thrilled on Kimani but I guess him over these 2 bozos , get me a splash hire
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
In 4 years will we hire another Hurley assistant for 300K?

Will DH still be in Storrs?

Will he have made the second weekend?

Count me out.
no, yes, yes

I know why some want to make it about Dan, but it really isn’t.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t think it’s kosher for an AD to fly to an NCAA site and hover around potential candidates or try to meet with them immediately after a Loss or between wins. So IMO Thorr being in Buffalo likely has little to do with our search. I would think those conversations are much less obvious and held closer to the vest. I also haven’t seen any list from anyone I would put much stock in yet. There are guys who have good sources I just don’t think there is tangible dirt to get out there yet.