2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by McRam »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Really hope UMass doesn’t end up with Kimani. I think he’s going to be a good hire for whoever gets him.
I agree that Kimani will succeed somewhere. I don't believe he fits here with the program in its current
status. As I said I wouldn't be opposed but I definitely take a guy like Shaheen Holloway over him in a heartbeat

not me, given the choice between the non splash candidates, Young might be my first choice---I am assuming that his connections for both recruitment and transfer portals are very high. I still put that as the most important attribute of our new coach.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I’d take Grasso and Becker over Holloway.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Massive risk? As opposed to who? Just a serious question?
Any of the more proven lower tier head coaching candidates. Holloway is in his 4th season at St Peter’s, these are his records by year:

2019: 10-22
2020: 18-12
2021: 14-11
2022: 18-11

Currently 0 NCAA tournament appearances, maybe one if we check back in a few hours. He’s a low scoring, defensive first coach. So maybe that fits the URI mold

I just don’t think he’s done enough at a low level to warrant consideration.
I am not blown away by him as a HC.

He was a long-time Willard assistant and his top recruiter.

I won't dismiss him but prefer others.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Good to see these schools willing to move on from these underperforming coaches
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I’d take Grasso and Becker over Holloway.
I’d take a hiatus on all three
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Becker has a problem with this issue at Vermont. No need for URI to be hiring a guy with this going on now.

https://eu.burlingtonfreepress.com/in-d ... 304121001/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Becker has a problem with this issue at Vermont. No need for URI to be hiring a guy with this going on now.

Yeah I don’t want this baggage at all
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yeah I don’t think we go near Becker due to the stink of those allegations and I’m fine with that.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m starting to warm up to Holloway if he’s a candidate not my top choice but I like him over some others mentioned
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Behind a paywall and I must’ve missed Becker issue at Vermont, what is/was it?
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Took LSU long enough. Wade is gross. He has become a pariah even amongst his coaching peers, and I hope he’s having the day he deserves.

Bobby is not getting fired, but there’s a definite chance he’s working somewhere else next season.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Took LSU long enough. Wade is gross. He has become a pariah even amongst his coaching peers, and I hope he’s having the day he deserves.

Bobby is not getting fired, but there’s a definite chance he’s working somewhere else next season.
Good riddance Ace on Wade hope he is out of coaching for awhile
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know he’s not good enough for some of you, but Shaheen is a great guy who I’ll always root for. Love that he’s going to the tournament. You could do worse than a former Seton Hall point guard with Jersey connections.

Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

No idea why people get so offended by what Wade did. Dude paid some recruits. So what? That’s legal now. It’s like people who want to put people in jail for selling some weed.

So dumb
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago No idea why people get so offended by what Wade did. Dude paid some recruits. So what? That’s legal now. It’s like people who want to put people in jail for selling some weed.

So dumb
Nah, it’s his existence as a human that’s gross, and he didn’t just “pay recruits.” Again, in a field filled with a lot of questionable dudes, this guy is something else. I hope the stories that have been out there become very public now. There has to be at least a bare minimum for how you treat people in this world.

But yeah, definitely legalize weed and free everyone in jail for related charges. Sex work, too, but that has nothing to do with Wade.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Just read the VCU board, wades been a shitty dude for a long time
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You have to wonder if Wade was doing these things at VCU also.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago No idea why people get so offended by what Wade did. Dude paid some recruits. So what? That’s legal now. It’s like people who want to put people in jail for selling some weed.

So dumb
Nah, it’s his existence as a human that’s gross, and he didn’t just “pay recruits.” Again, in a field filled with a lot of questionable dudes, this guy is something else.

But yeah, definitely legalize weed and free everyone in jail for related charges. Sex work, too, but that has nothing to do with Wade.
What did he do then? Tell me what I don’t know?

He paid recruits and their families. Paying kids who deserved to be paid to begin with doesn’t even sniff being a negative thing in the scheme of this world.

NCAA did a lot worse for decades
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

That was great ace! The last Seton Hall point guard with Jersey connections worked out really well for us. Being a McDonald's All American and the MVP of the game doesn't hurt either. 2X Parade High School All American, All Big East Player who is a great guy and can Coach. He will land some place soon. No Doubt.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I know he’s not good enough for some of you, but Shaheen is a great guy who I’ll always root for. Love that he’s going to the tournament. You could do worse than a former Seton Hall point guard with Jersey connections.

Shaheen got a glowing endorsement from Slick Rick , I’d be ok with him if we don’t get a splash hire
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I hope that somewhere else is Kingston, RI
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

Don't think it's URI, but that is surprising to hear from Ace.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Heck yeah splash hire baby !!
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I know he’s not good enough for some of you, but Shaheen is a great guy who I’ll always root for. Love that he’s going to the tournament. You could do worse than a former Seton Hall point guard with Jersey connections.

Shaheen got a glowing endorsement from Slick Rick , I’d be ok with him if we don’t get a splash hire
I think Shaheen fits the mold of a coach most fans would be happy with, not a huge name for the casual fan but is clearly an up and coming guy. I would prefer a P5 coach dropping back a conference because I think there has been a lot of success with that recently in the A10. Someone who will come in and run the program like a P5 school, and not be ok with the little rhody mind-set. It was what Dan was best at for this team, it is what Harrick did when he came here, demand more from the program.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Two Georgetown assistants are fired (Kirby and Waheed). I’m sure that will fix everything. They had to do something, though, and Ewing isn’t going anywhere.

https://www.casualhoya.com/2022/3/12/22 ... y-big-east
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago Two Georgetown assistants are fired (Kirby and Waheed). I’m sure that will fix everything. They had to do something, though, and Ewing isn’t going anywhere.

Maybe Cox back to Georgetown, a good landing spot for him.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Two Georgetown assistants are fired (Kirby and Waheed). I’m sure that will fix everything. They had to do something, though, and Ewing isn’t going anywhere.

Maybe Cox back to Georgetown, a good landing spot for him.
I mentioned this elsewhere but I wouldn’t be surprised if Cox was hired by Maryland’s new coach.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

I think Shaheen fits the mold of a coach most fans would be happy with, not a huge name for the casual fan but is clearly an up and coming guy. I would prefer a P5 coach dropping back a conference because I think there has been a lot of success with that recently in the A10. Someone who will come in and run the program like a P5 school, and not be ok with the little rhody mind-set. It was what Dan was best at for this team, it is what Harrick did when he came here, demand more from the program.
I don't know enough about Holloway to have an opinion one way or the other, but St. Peter's is about as difficult a situation as you can imagine -- a high-school gym in a down-at-the-heels part of Jersey City. It makes the Bronx look like Malibu.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Could this opening be attractive to Tulsa alum Mike Anderson who played for Tubby Smith there? Could Anderson decide to leave the heat of NYC and St John's while the going is still good? Might possibly explain rumors of certain presently employed coaches returning to their geographic roots closer to home.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

Could this opening be attractive to Tulsa alum Mike Anderson who played for Tubby Smith there? Could Anderson decide to leave the heat of NYC and St John's while the going is still good? Might possibly explain rumors of certain presently employed coaches returning to their geographic roots closer to home.
Isn’t that what what Ace suggested? Anderson to Tulsa and Bobby to St John’s. I don’t think he’d come here regardless.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes. Matt Norlander mentioned just after announcement

0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago

Isn’t that what what Ace suggested? Anderson to Tulsa and Bobby to St John’s. I don’t think he’d come here regardless.
St Johns is a fn coaches death trap now a days. If Bobby wanted to come back East URI would be a much better choice just as much upside. The talk about he didn’t like Danny didn’t get all he wanted is too much to overcome is ridiculous.

GO RHODY!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why would Anderson go to Tulsa?

Stupid talk.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes. Matt Norlander mentioned just after announcement

Why would Anderson want to go from Johnnies to Tulsa unless he is forced out ?? I know he coached there but that’s a crap conference
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Why would Anderson go to Tulsa?

Stupid talk.
Because he is a Tulsa alum and would also be following the lead action of his mentor and former coach Tubby Smith who left Kentucky in 2007 per his own decision to go to Minnesota. Smith didn't like the constant pressure and nothing he did being good enough and got out while the going was still good before they pushed him out.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Why would Anderson go to Tulsa?

Stupid talk.
Because he is a Tulsa alum and would also following the lead of his mentor and former coach Tubby Smith who left Kentucky in 2007 per his own decision to go to Minnesota. Smith didn't like the constant pressure and nothing he did being good enough and got out while the going was still good before they pushed him out.
Anderson also got his 1st Assistant Coaching job after graduating Tulsa. He has 4 children and 4 grandchildren. Covid has many people thinking differently about their careers and where they want to live.
My guess is Norlander heard about this from 2 different sources. Anderson putting out feelers?

Tulsa opening, he is an Alum of Tulsa, get out of NY, back to the Southwest.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Talk of Hurleys to a NJ or NY school will never stop......no matter what.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Mike Anderson going to Tulsa could setup Grasso to St. John’s.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They can have him.....we won't.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
That’s crazy? That’s a drop down in program.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Might be pulling a Shaka. Mike White is very much on the hot seat
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Might be pulling a Shaka. Mike White is very much on the hot seat
Not a bad move getting out at Florida. ProbBly had some discussions with the AD. Georgia a low bar but has potential.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hmmm who is on Gators short list ???
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Hmmm who is on Gators short list ???
Too soon for Sean Miller?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Too soon for Sean Miller?
Wonder if Archie has his sights set on the SEC ??
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not David Cox?
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

reef,take a look at the 'crap conference'-houston ,memphis,cincy,smu etc ; all quality teams
0 x