Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by section(105) »

Ouch
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

<1%
Agreed. I recall hearing his relationship with the administration wasn’t exactly the best while he was at URI. If that’s accurate, I expect there would be little interest on either side.
He was mad because he felt like his brother was lied to. It was probably more ignorance than malice, but the people who should have really did not know what was going on with the basketball program. New discoveries everyday back then, and they were never good.
Did they think it was a quick fix here? It was a surprise to all when “Sponge” was caught videoing the girl and had to be dismissed, and Billy Baron leaving also hurt the first years here. Those were two A10 ready players that would have made things go more quickly. Danny did eventually turn it around and set the bar higher for all. I think it would be easy to put that water under the bridge.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Agreed. I recall hearing his relationship with the administration wasn’t exactly the best while he was at URI. If that’s accurate, I expect there would be little interest on either side.
He was mad because he felt like his brother was lied to. It was probably more ignorance than malice, but the people who should have really did not know what was going on with the basketball program. New discoveries everyday back then, and they were never good.
Did they think it was a quick fix here? It was a surprise to all when “Sponge” was caught videoing the girl and had to be dismissed, and Billy Baron leaving also hurt the first years here. Those were two A10 ready players that would have made things go more quickly. Danny did eventually turn it around and set the bar higher for all. I think it would be easy to put that water under the bridge.
I think it’s more the issues with the APR. Player grades.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

<1%
Yikes!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I think it’s more the issues with the APR. Player grades.
Right - forgot about those issues.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I think Sean Paul is very good with mid majors in particular, a good follow. His opinion fwiw

0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Here’s a name that just hit me (I have no inside knowledge so I’m pulling this out of my arse). What about Brad Steven’s? Maybe he wants back into college coaching?

This is the first year I haven’t heard his name being suggested for a job.
Would be a brilliant career choice for him to leave as GM of the Boston Celtics to coach URI for $300k a year.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

If we can't get any big name/splash hire, I'm not sure I have a favorite among the names that have been mentioned. I wouldn't dismiss Becker, but admittedly I don't know anything 1st hand about the issues at Vermont. Thorr probably has 1, 2 or 3 guys in mind that have not been mentioned hear or anywhere though.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My list of non-splash hires (not necessarily in order) that id be ok with if we can’t pull in a big fish:

Becker
Holloway
Langel

Hard pass on Pat Skerry and guys like that. Grasso is not near the top of my list but wouldn’t make me as mad as Skerry.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago My list of non-splash hires (not necessarily in order) that id be ok with if we can’t pull in a big fish:

Becker
Holloway
Langel

Hard pass on Pat Skerry and guys like that. Grasso is not near the top of my list but wouldn’t make me as mad as Skerry.
I am okay with those 3, would also include Rob Jones and Dennis Gates.
Followed by Grasso and Mason.

Wouldn't dismiss Kimani Young either.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago If we can't get any big name/splash hire, I'm not sure I have a favorite among the names that have been mentioned. I wouldn't dismiss Becker, but admittedly I don't know anything 1st hand about the issues at Vermont. Thorr probably has 1, 2 or 3 guys in mind that have not been mentioned hear or anywhere though.
I am dismissing Becker - he is a JB hire in my mind. He may be a good coach, but after 10 years in Vermont he is not likely to come to RI and run our program like a big boy program. That is what we want, that is what we need. He has the nice team everyone forgets about until March when they make the tourney and bow out to some P5 team. That’s not good enough.

I would elevate Bozeman before we hired Becker, he has run a P5 program. Out of the box idea would be to elevate Bozeman, pay him $500k and guarantee that the other $1mil that we need to get an Archie Miller type is going straight to assistant coaches pool, chartered flights, strength and conditioning, shooting coaches, etc.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Mason I would put between Grasso and Skerry. Gates we could call but seems to be tracked for a Georgia or Mizzou type job, and my read is that even if he doesn’t get one of those he may want to wait for a similar job next year rather than take the intermediary step of coming to URI. Who knows, though. Worth the call. Rob Jones is interesting. Would probably slot him in behind the three guys I mentioned but above Mason. Maybe in the same tier as Grasso for me - totally different profiles but they shake out to give me about the same level of interest.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago If we can't get any big name/splash hire, I'm not sure I have a favorite among the names that have been mentioned. I wouldn't dismiss Becker, but admittedly I don't know anything 1st hand about the issues at Vermont. Thorr probably has 1, 2 or 3 guys in mind that have not been mentioned hear or anywhere though.
I am dismissing Becker - he is a JB hire in my mind. He may be a good coach, but after 10 years in Vermont he is not likely to come to RI and run our program like a big boy program. That is what we want, that is what we need. He has the nice team everyone forgets about until March when they make the tourney and bow out to some P5 team. That’s not good enough.

I would elevate Bozeman before we hired Becker, he has run a P5 program. Out of the box idea would be to elevate Bozeman, pay him $500k and guarantee that the other $1mil that we need to get an Archie Miller type is going straight to assistant coaches pool, chartered flights, strength and conditioning, shooting coaches, etc.
Elevate Bozeman? That’s a winner of an idea.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

A lot of people are saying I'd be ok with this guy or I'd be ok with that guy. Are any of those guys going to put fannies in the Ryan Center in November? Are any of those guys going to attract any quality transfers, the only way to rebuild this quickly? We have to spend the money and shoot higher than ok. What's the old saying? You have to spend money to make money? I'm pretty sure an empty Ryan Center and an apathetic fan base isn't going to make the school any money. How many of you are calling to renew season tickets when Thorr hires a Becker or a Grasso? I know I'm not.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If we are making this decision based on what will give us the best November 2022 then we are likely in big trouble. My #1 choice is Archie Miller, and he’d likely be able to get transfers and sell tickets, but that’s not why I want him and frankly I have no sense of how realistic it is to hope that’s who we get. He may have zero interest. He may not even answer the phone. He may get $3M/yr to coach LSU. If that’s the case then what do we do? Hire Lamar because he’ll put butts in seats this coming fall?

In my opinion, if we can’t make a homerun splash hire then we should be trying to hire 2012 Dan Hurley. This program is not in as bad a shape as it was when we hired Dan so it wouldn’t take a 2012 Dan Hurley as long to turn it around. But that should be the idea - identify the guy who will come here, win and be a national candidate for an elite job in 3-5 years. It’s amazing to me that people are turning their nose up at that so they can exclusively fantasize about Rick Pitino or whatever is going on in their heads.

Yes, obviously, if you can make a homerun hire I’m not saying not to do that. I just would put the odds at like 5-10% so people should have an idea of what they want if those odds don’t come in.
5 x
Exeter ram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Exeter ram »

I`d like to see Al Skinner get interviewed with the thought of Preston and or Tyson Wheeler on the side lines with him.And yes have Kenny Green working with the big guys.Ok throw in Lamar for 1 year as a recruiter.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hiring Lamar would be a bigger mistake than hiring his mentor.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Exeter ram wrote: 2 years ago I`d like to see Al Skinner get interviewed with the thought of Preston and or Tyson Wheeler on the side lines with him.And yes have Kenny Green working with the big guys.Ok throw in Lamar for 1 year as a recruiter.
How about throwing in the former NKHS coach who did the “fat tests”?
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not even sure Becker would be interested.
But I feel if we can't land a splash hire, he should be considered.

You can't dismiss his excellent record at Vermont, the guy can flat out coach.
Also, he has beaten the Bonnies and St. John's in back to back seasons.
Also victories against several other A10 teams: GM, GW, and Richmond.
In recent years barely lost to two top #5 teams Kentucky and Virginia on the road.

I think he would be successful here and able to recruit at a much higher level.

Again not my first choice but wouldn't dismiss him, better than some other candidates mentioned.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago A lot of people are saying I'd be ok with this guy or I'd be ok with that guy. Are any of those guys going to put fannies in the Ryan Center in November? Are any of those guys going to attract any quality transfers, the only way to rebuild this quickly? We have to spend the money and shoot higher than ok. What's the old saying? You have to spend money to make money? I'm pretty sure an empty Ryan Center and an apathetic fan base isn't going to make the school any money. How many of you are calling to renew season tickets when Thorr hires a Becker or a Grasso? I know I'm not.
Me. I will.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

As someone pointed out above, if we don’t get a splash hire we need 2012 version of DH. I just don’t see Becker as that guy. We need a coach who will DEMAND and push the administration to invest what is needed to get to the top tier program level, not a guy who will be happy with the upgrade from Vermont level. No coach we hire should be in awe of what we have now, I want the coach who sees what we have now and says “I can make this even better” - we want Gonzaga of the East.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

In recent years barely lost to two top #5 teams Kentucky and Virginia on the road.

Again not my first choice but wouldn't dismiss him, better than some other candidates mentioned.
Best non splash hire choice.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago As someone pointed out above, if we don’t get a splash hire we need 2012 version of DH. I just don’t see Becker as that guy. We need a coach who will DEMAND and push the administration to invest what is needed to get to the top tier program level, not a guy who will be happy with the upgrade from Vermont level. No coach we hire should be in awe of what we have now, I want the coach who sees what we have now and says “I can make this even better” - we want Gonzaga of the East.
Gonzaga is spending north of $10 million a year on their men's basketball program. We were around $4.7 million in 2019. Dayton and St/ Louis is around 7 and half million. That's where I think we should be shooting for.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago As someone pointed out above, if we don’t get a splash hire we need 2012 version of DH. I just don’t see Becker as that guy. We need a coach who will DEMAND and push the administration to invest what is needed to get to the top tier program level, not a guy who will be happy with the upgrade from Vermont level. No coach we hire should be in awe of what we have now, I want the coach who sees what we have now and says “I can make this even better” - we want Gonzaga of the East.
If Becker decides to leave Vermont, he will definitely place certain demands upon the program.

If you ever watched him coach or heard him, he is far from a push over.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Non splash hires Becker Holloway and Langel one of those may work and definitely ahead of Grasso and Skerry
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I believe RHODY gets a name this time around. I'm not going to put odds on that lol that was quite silly. If we don't get a BIG NAME I'd much rather us try and get Schmidt. He has won in a10 can recruit at A10 level think its easier to win at RHODY than Bona or at least someone from another mid major situation like that before we take someone from one of the lil schools.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
birdistheword
Jim Eitner

Unread post by birdistheword »

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to share this again in case it got buried. This came out yesterday & summarizes the stink up in Burlington with UVM's basketball program.

https://www.rakevt.org/2022/03/12/uvm-b ... legations/
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

birdistheword wrote: 2 years ago
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to share this again in case it got buried. This came out yesterday & summarizes the stink up in Burlington with UVM's basketball program.

Wow that’s some really ugly stuff there.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
birdistheword wrote: 2 years ago

Wow that’s some really ugly stuff there.
Becker is radioactive. Cannot bring him to Kingston.
Grasso is not URI coaching material either.

I cannot support URI if either of these guys is the HC.

Todd Bozeman miles ahead of these two guys.

Focus on Archie, Bobby Hurley and that level and above.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yeah people ignoring the Becker/UVM stuff. Not happening.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Bozeman!? Come on….
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Bozeman!? Come on….
Can’t read? I said Bozeman over Grasso and Becker.
Make it simpler for you to understand, I’ll take Rambone over Grasso and Becker, Reef too, BlueMan, NYGiants 208, the guy who drives the snowplow in the Keaney Parking lot (no offense to him - great guy), I’d keep David Cox before I’d go with Grasso or Becker.

I wanted Pitino 4 years ago instead of an assistant coach after 2 Consecutive NCAA Tournaments in which we won games in both. We could have done better. Table was set and we unset it. Took the easy path, retain players and recruiting class, rock no boats…….

Now after 4 years of blah performant and sub-blah recruiting we need much better than Grasso and Becker. They are not even on my allowable list at all. Read some Burlington newspapers from the past 1 year +. Easy to find. Protests on campus just the past month.

No patience left. This time let Tom Ryan have his pick which we didn’t do 4 years ago. Results speak volumes.

If Grasso or Becker get the job I’ll tell you now, I’ll drop from KB 100%.
But I know we are looking high this time. New President, Thorr is in charge, we will land the right guy well above the settle for names that some have suggested.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bozeman!? Come on….
Make it simpler for you to understand, I’ll take Rambone over Grasso and Becker, Reef too, BlueMan, NYGiants 208,

I wanted Pitino 4 years ago instead of an assistant coach after 2 Consecutive NCAA Tournaments in which we won games in both. We could have done better. Table was set and we unset it.

Now after 4 years of blah performant and sub-blah recruiting we need much better than Grasso and Becker. They are not even on my allowable list at all. Read some Burlington newspapers from the past 1 year +. Easy to find. Protests on campus just the past month.

No patience left. This time let Tom Ryan have his pick which we didn’t do 4 years ago. Results speak volumes.
Umm, I'm totally lost here. I didn't even read your post about Bozeman... I responded to Rhodylaw saying he would elevate Bozeman. Not you. I already know you don't like Grasso, you've said it a million times. Bozeman will not be the head coach here.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bozeman!? Come on….
Make it simpler for you to understand, I’ll take Rambone over Grasso and Becker, Reef too, BlueMan, NYGiants 208,

I wanted Pitino 4 years ago instead of an assistant coach after 2 Consecutive NCAA Tournaments in which we won games in both. We could have done better. Table was set and we unset it.

Umm, I'm totally lost here. I didn't even read your post about Bozeman... I responded to Rhodylaw saying he would elevate Bozeman. Not you. I already know you don't like Grasso, you've said it a million times. Bozeman will not be the head coach here.
Of course Bozeman won’t. The point is to show how bad Grasso and Becker are. I’d keep Cox too.

Don’t worry, we are aiming higher than you think.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I don’t want Becker either this scandal is not good and the jury is still out on if he can coach at a league higher than the American East , we can do better
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Can't read? I said Bozeman over Grasso and Becker.
Make it simpler for you to understand, I'll take Rambone over Grasso and Becker, Reef too, BlueMan, NYGiants 208,

No patience left. This time let Tom Ryan have his pick which we didn't do 4 years ago. Results speak volumes.
Of course Bozeman won't. The point is to show how bad Grasso and Becker are. I'd keep Cox too.

Don't worry, we are aiming higher than you think.
Dude, what are you talking about??? I'm so confused...You responded to me saying I can't read when I didn't even respond to you.. I didn't even get to your comment about Bozeman when I responded to Rhodylaw.. Now you're telling me we are aiming higher than I think? When did I say we aren't? I know Thorr is trying to get a splash hire. I want that. We all want that...
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Gotta think Mooney is staying. Could’ve danced in 2020. Is dancing now.

One less A10 opening.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Gotta think Mooney is staying. Could’ve danced in 2020. Is dancing now.

One less A10 opening.
Yep, good for us and them.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Gotta think Mooney is staying. Could’ve danced in 2020. Is dancing now.

One less A10 opening.
Yup we are still the best A10 opening right now....Props to Mooney for figuring this out. Richmond could upset a 5 seed. I hope it's PC.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Mooney guides Richmond to its third NCAA Tournament in his seventeen year career there. The first trip since their Sweet-16 run in 2011. It should probably get him a ten year contract extension.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Becker's been my favored candidate for a while, outside of Archie Miller, but the sexual assault allegations there give me pause. I don't think he's been directly linked to much as of yet - just that players in his program have been accused of sexual assault. We have some experience with that at URI - it's not like Jim Baron's reputation was marred by Holton's actions - but that was seen as an isolated incident, and the player involved was suspended immediately. I don't really think a thorough investigation can be done between now and when we'd make a hire, and while I think he's a great candidate based on his coaching record, there are others that don't come with the other baggage. I'd rather err on the side of caution.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Mooney guides Richmond to its third NCAA Tournament in his seventeen year career there. The first trip since their Sweet-16 run in 2011. It should probably get him a ten year contract extension.
To be fair to him - Richmond was 24-7 in 2019-20, so he almost certainly would have had four berths.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We got people here bringing up Brad Stevens and Dan Hurley as potential coaches.

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Go Rhody
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Becker has done a nice job (a very nice job) *and* he's not right for URI. Brennan was the guy who built UVM. As hard as it is to believe, this is a total rebuild job. The recruiting has been awful and god only knows who is sticking around. Becker took a program with 20 years of being the best in that conference and kept it going. He probably would have been a decent hire four years ago. But, unless there is evidence you can build a program (either by doing it at a lower level or with serious high major recruiting chops), then it is a pass for me. I get the risk but Bryant was bad (really bad) and Grasso turned it around. And the fact that Cluess liked him for all of those years means something to me. That guy could coach. Every one of these candidates is going to have a question mark or two. Interested to hear other names but Grasso I think is the one I would hire.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago We got people here bringing up Brad Stevens and Dan Hurley as potential coaches.

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
We also have people bringing up Becker and Grasso.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Yes Richmond job not open is good for URI . It’s a Beautiful Campus great school no reason why they haven’t been Dancing more. The 20 and early 30 somethings think it’s all about do you have a practice facility but for a forty year old successful coach it’s a often about yea it’s a good place raise family and my fucken wife’s happy and if I just make 3 Dances in 10 yrs I’m Fn KING!

Also not having to explain why we were a one bid league helps too😂

GO RHODY!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago We got people here bringing up Brad Stevens and Dan Hurley as potential coaches.

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Lol, Becker and Grasso are a trillion more times likely / very realistic candidates compared to Stevens and Hurley.

Also, people on this board haven’t just brought up those two.

The national media has talked about Grasso and Becker as well.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
and al skinner...
for f's sake, Penders isn't working now is he?
maybe Harrick sr will come back, I heard he loved it here
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Lol, Becker and Grasso are a trillion more times likely / very realistic candidates compared to Stevens and Hurley.

Also, people on this board haven’t just brought up those two.

The national media has talked about Grasso and Becker as well.
Why is that? Because both schools are a drive away? Becker has been to 3 NCAAT in 11 years and won a play in game. Grasso is coaching the most obnoxious player in NCAA. Neither one is coming here. I hope.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Whatever your opinion is of Grasso and Becker they both have better resumes than our lord and savior Dan Hurley did when URI hired him.
Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x