‘22 MD PG - Chance Stephens (URI verbal ---> Loyola Marymount ---> Maryland)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘22 MD PG - Chance Stephens (Rhode Island commit)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The killer thing would be if we kept Cox based on Chance's commitment. The program is dead and needs to be revived
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago The killer thing would be if we kept Cox based on Chance's commitment. The program is dead and needs to be revived
While I think Chance will be a good A10 player, I don’t think he’s enough to keep Cox.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Absolutely agree there Cox needs to go first and foremost then have the new coach build us up
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

OMG haven't we learned yet about keeping coaches because of recruits?

Hasn't worked yet.

And won't going forward either.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I don't think anyone has said keep Cox just to keep recruits . My main concern is I don't have a great deal of faith that URI will hire someone who is
a significant improvement over Cox and I am concerned that if the right coach isn't out there just yet that they don't just replace Cox with the next Cox
type coach . They have to get somebody that would excite new recruits . Otherwise URI could be looking at another 3-4 seasons as bottom feeders
and then start all over again looking for another savior coach . Just getting rid of Cox is not and should not be the goal . Significant improvement begins with better players and we need a coach who can accomplish that as Hurley did . I haven't heard any names that excite me other than Archie Miller so far . and most seem to agree that isn't going to happen . I hope someone becomes available that will come to URI . Otherwise I am afraid we
might be looking at mediocrity for a long time.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

luke wrote: 2 years ago I don't think anyone has said keep Cox just to keep recruits . My main concern is I don't have a great deal of faith that URI will hire someone who is
a significant improvement over Cox and I am concerned that if the right coach isn't out there just yet that they don't just replace Cox with the next Cox
type coach . They have to get somebody that would excite new recruits . Otherwise URI could be looking at another 3-4 seasons as bottom feeders
and then start all over again looking for another savior coach . Just getting rid of Cox is not and should not be the goal . Significant improvement begins with better players and we need a coach who can accomplish that as Hurley did . I haven't heard any names that excite me other than Archie Miller so far . and most seem to agree that isn't going to happen . I hope someone becomes available that will come to URI . Otherwise I am afraid we
might be looking at mediocrity for a long time.
Name 2-3 coaches that excite you then. This is just a thought exercise, they could be locked up elsewhere
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Coach Cox is a quality individual and a good guy. He was a valued member of Dan's staff and was a super assistant coach but he must go.

He is not turning this around. He is the Captain of the Titanic. This is his shit show. We are a mess and he created this mess.

All most every name with a few exceptions is an upgrade! He has failed and has no answers. A change brings in a fresh new voice and optimism. It is clearly time for a change.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

coaches that would excite me ? Sean Miller , Archie Miller , Bobby Hurley , Mark Schmidt . It's not a long list , which concerns me. and LIRAM , I
guess Iam a bit harder to please because almost anyone may not be an upgrade and I think URI needs not just an upgrade that brings URI up to say
6 or 7 th in the A 10 after several seasons . No URI needs a major upgrade that can return them to the top rung of the A 10, anyone else is just
a place holder .
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Much like in the Brafford thread, please try to keep future discussion about the coaching situation in those topics. I'll be pruning posts in this thread from now on as a result. Thanks.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Chance changed his picture on Twitter, and I believe he removed Rhodymbb commit comment. I could be wrong, though. Anyways, this was expected. I don't think he'll be a ram.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Chance changed his picture on Twitter, and I believe he removed Rhodymbb commit comment. I could be wrong, though. Anyways, this was expected. I don't think he'll be a ram.
Yeah, Chance's dad and Cox are friends. That was the connection. He won't be coming here.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Chance changed his picture on Twitter, and I believe he removed Rhodymbb commit comment. I could be wrong, though. Anyways, this was expected. I don't think he'll be a ram.
I'll wait for him to officially tweet something before changing the thread title, but yeah, I think he was primarily picking URI because of the family connection between his father and Cox, IIRC. Once upon a time, he had offers from Rice, Colorado and Hawaii, so I don't think it's a case where sticking with URI would be his only option. (i.e. I doubt we land Brafford, but we're still the best school offering him as of now, so the chances are automatically higher than they are with Stephens IMO.)
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yep, pic of him in a Rhody jersey removed as well as 'UNIV OF RHODE ISLAND COMMIT' out of his profile.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Yep, pic of him in a Rhody jersey removed as well as 'UNIV OF RHODE ISLAND COMMIT' out of his profile.
The new coach will assess the current roster/commits/recruits and try to rerecruit all he wants to try to keep. Would have loved to see Chance here, but it was time for Cox and URI to part ways.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think Chance will find a good school to play for
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

SD State?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

UC Riverside
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Predicted this a long time ago. There was zero chance he was coming here.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DanInAZ wrote: 2 years ago Predicted this a long time ago. There was zero chance he was coming here.
Right but did you predict that with Cox or sans Cox?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I forgot we had recruiting threads. Looking forward to getting back to them.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Well, that's as official as it can be. Changing thread title.
1 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Re: ‘22 MD PG - Chance Stephens (URI verbal > Decommit)

Unread post by MTK4L »

Seems like a good shooter. Honestly never really moved the needle for me. I wish him the best where ever he lands. We have to get ourselves back on the mind set of recruits like Hassan, EC and Terrell. Proven high star recruits. Many of these recruits we have been on over cox's time Rhody is the best offer.... We need to change expectations moving forward. Don't get me wrong there are diamonds in the rough but now not many players are missed.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Love ya Chance but don’t you turn into a Stephen Curry , let’s settle for a poor man’s Jimmy Baron
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

No idea how much truth there is to this, but heard from someone out here today that Chance could end up at San Diego State. I know he considered them the first time around to so not a huge reach to think he is considering them again. Would be a great spot for him I think.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago No idea how much truth there is to this, but heard from someone out here today that Chance could end up at San Diego State. I know he considered them the first time around to so not a huge reach to think he is considering them again. Would be a great spot for him I think.
I would think he would end up closer to home, yeah. It was mostly west coast schools on him outside of URI, although Rice and Colorado are obviously more "jump on a plane" kind of visits instead of a long car ride.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago No idea how much truth there is to this, but heard from someone out here today that Chance could end up at San Diego State. I know he considered them the first time around to so not a huge reach to think he is considering them again. Would be a great spot for him I think.
I would think he would end up closer to home, yeah. It was mostly west coast schools on him outside of URI, although Rice and Colorado are obviously more "jump on a plane" kind of visits instead of a long car ride.
Right, it just makes sense. I also was told he is pretty good friends with one of the current Aztecs.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Right, it just makes sense. I also was told he is pretty good friends with one of the current Aztecs.
Would be a great landing spot , Dutcher has done a great job with the Aztecs
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Forgot to remove the sticky - oops. Changed back to a "normal" topic. FWIW, he hasn't picked up any new offers since decommitting, but unless Maryland comes offering I imagine he'd be sticking close to home anyway, and probably going to a school he's already visited.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Loyola Marymount. It’ll be interesting following his career.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Loyola Marymount. It’ll be interesting following his career.
Good landing spot for him
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Shame

Kid can stroke it.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Will be playing for assistant Coach Greg Youncofski, brother of former Ram player/staffer (and current Huskey) Eric Youncofski
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Good luck to you kid but I could care less following the career of someone who left us
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 years ago Shame

Kid can stroke it.
He sure can. I still wonder if he will be able to get his shot off in D1 since his release is somewhat slow and very low. Wish nothing but the best!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: ‘22 MD PG - Chance Stephens (URI verbal > Loyola Marymount)

Unread post by Ramulous »

I wish him the best!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree it will be fun to follow his career @ LMU
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Good luck to you kid but I could care less following the career of someone who left us
the saying is "I could NOT care less".

if you could care less, that means that you actually do care.

That is all. Just correcting a common misconception.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Chance has played 3 games so far…9-19 from 3.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago Chance has played 3 games so far…9-19 from 3.
And he played zero games with URI. Let's move on.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

He also went 0 for 5 from 3 last night versus UC Irvine. The first game LMU played was a Non-D1 team so you cant really count that.

If you tally up his 3s against only D1 teams. He is 4 of 12 for 33.3% from 3.
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago Chance has played 3 games so far…9-19 from 3.
And he played zero games with URI. Let's move on.
Our less than stellar 3 point shooting prompted me to look that up.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago He also went 0 for 5 from 3 last night versus UC Irvine. The first game LMU played was a Non-D1 team so you cant really count that.

If you tally up his 3s against only D1 teams. He is 4 of 12 for 33.3% from 3.
Good points.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

FWIW, I'm always intrigued about how the guys we honestly, sincerely almost landed end up doing in college. So yeah, I don't mind the updates about Stephens. He probably would have fit in awesomely on this roster, given his shooting ability, but it was obviously untenable to keep Cox. C'est la vie.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I understand some updates, but are we going to post his 3 point percentage every single game?
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with SG, I’d like to get updates here on his progress and am too lazy to search it myself as I would probably forget lol
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I understand some updates, but are we going to post his 3 point percentage every single game?
I don't know - Maybe? We don't break into your house and force you to click on this thread. If you're using the handy unread posts button to navigate, you can click "mark all as read," even if you haven't.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

He's an interesting case - because as with any we've seen, who's developing them?

It's clear Cox/his staff weren't great in that department. And if this kid really was going to be a stud, he'd have followed him to Maryland.

Like most of the players Cox was bringing in, they weren't exactly high major guys.

I like following the "what if" guys though. It's kind of what a message board is for.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago He's an interesting case - because as with any we've seen, who's developing them?

It's clear Cox/his staff weren't great in that department. And if this kid really was going to be a stud, he'd have followed him to Maryland.

Like most of the players Cox was bringing in, they weren't exactly high major guys.

I like following the "what if" guys though. It's kind of what a message board is for.
This kid was never going to be offered by Maryland.
They weren't interested in an under-radar recruit.

They added 2 immediate impact guard transfers Carey and Young and both happen to be from Upper Marlboro Md.
Good chance Cox was involved with them.
They have both started every game so far and Young averaging double-digits.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I don’t mind following along with these players either. Good way to fill in the slower times between games.
1 x