Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote: 2 years ago

So you know him and know what he's thinking and what interviews he's taken over the last few years?
No. But I know he was either not offered or decided not to go. Coaches who want to stay put will take interviews to get a better contract from their employer. As I said, URI has done best with ambitious coaches. I would want him to succeed if he took the URI job.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

What I would give to hear Rods take
On all this.
3 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago UConn loses. Gives Thorr a couple of days to negotiate with Kimani Young.
Iggy love your posts but your assistant coach approach last time around cost me 4 long long long years of Basketball Hell! Just say no to assistant coaches!!!

GO RHODY!
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 2 years ago What I would give to hear Rods take
On all this.
AMEN… well said !
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Is Thorr willing to gamble on someone who is likely to embarrass the university at some point?
He already did that with Cox. (On the court, not off.)
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Will Wade is not a very good coach , That's the difference between some of these guys with illicit pasts. He makes Jared grasso look like a quiet boy
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago John Becker can coach. I don't know that he can bring in top A10-level talent, but I know that he will get the very best out of his guys. They will likely be a 13 seed...If Vermont upsets a top seed in the tournament, I'm assuming he'll be high on our list. He probably already is.
I Believe it was Jersey 77 said That's where the assistant coaches come in and play a big part That's absolutely correct. Being able to coach and run a program should be number one priority there's always a way to get players
This times 2. Today, with the transfer portal being the way it is, being a great recruiter is not as important as it used to be. Still important, but players will transfer in to play for a solid coach and you can get them immediately. I would definitely focus on finding a solid coach that has a strong history of player development. Players will follow if they like the style of play.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
Smokinjimit2 wrote: 2 years ago What I would give to hear Rods take
On all this.

AMEN… well said !

I think Rod would be on the short list
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Two potential coaches playing each other now on ESPNU: Holloway of St Peter’s vs King Rice of Monmouth. If you like defense it’s a good game.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Two potential coaches playing each other now on ESPNU: Holloway of St Peter’s vs King Rice of Monmouth. If you like defense it’s a good game.
I’m watching that right now looks like Shaheen H
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Winning at St. Peters is very difficult. The MAAC is a deep league very similar to the A-10 (many solid programs within the league). The American East and the especially the NEC usually has a distinct top and bottom each season. Holloway winning at St. Peters in more impressive than Becker and Grasso winning at their respective schools. I know Grasso took over a 3 win team and what they have done is impressive but winning at St. Peters is some heavy lifting. All three Coaches deserve the recognition of being in the conversation of moving up a level.

For me its- Holloway just ahead of Becker- mainly because I believe he will recruit the ceiling in the A-10. Then Grasso......
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Winning at St. Peters is very difficult. The MAAC is a deep league very similar to the A-10 (many solid programs within the league). The American East and the especially the NEC usually has a distinct top and bottom each season. Holloway winning at St. Peters in more impressive than Becker and Grasso winning at their respective schools. I know Grasso took over a 3 win team and what they have done is impressive but winning at St. Peters is some heavy lifting. All three Coaches deserve the recognition of being in the conversation of moving up a level.

For me its- Holloway just ahead of Becker- mainly because I believe he will recruit the ceiling in the A-10. Then Grasso......
You are going to be disappointed
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Hey Blue,
I won't be disappointed. If Thor and administration think they can get it right then I'm good. I love our School and will support whoever the next guy is. I know enough that there is always more than one guy who can make it work. I just hope we support the next guy with a quality practice facility, increased staff pool and everything else he needs to compete year in and year out. What makes you think Holloway would want to come here? He might be thinking bigger? Those in the industry truly know what that man just accomplished.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr and URI are aiming for the stars on this one....

Oh wait, where have I heard that one before? Haha.

Except that this time, I'll bet my sweet bippy he is.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Hey Blue,
I won't be disappointed. If Thor and administration think they can get it right then I'm good. I love our School and will support whoever the next guy is. I know enough that there is always more than one guy who can make it work. I just hope we support the next guy with a quality practice facility, increased staff pool and everything else he needs to compete year in and year out. What makes you think Holloway would want to come here? He might be thinking bigger? Those in the industry truly know what that man just accomplished.
I’d be surprised if Holloway gets a P6 gig I think a step up to an A10 league is probably gonna happen now
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr and URI are aiming for the stars on this one....

I’ve heard similar fwiw
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Thorr and URI are aiming for the stars on this one....

I’ve heard similar fwiw
I love it I love it !!
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It makes sense they are shooting high. There’s a lottttttt of money riding on this being the right hire .. can’t afford an empty arena for long especially after the pandemic
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

I’ve heard similar fwiw
BAR, not going to believe it yet, until some actual news leaks out, like who is being interviewed or contacted.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Yes Please BAR!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who would be considered 'aiming for the stars'?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Hey Blue,
I really don’t care what Holloway wants. If URI doesn’t want him he ain’t coming here. I think people will be happy with the hire. I hope. I hope I want to take the day out of work to attend the press conference like I did for Hurley.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If we're aiming for the stars, give Dan everything he wanted and much more. I think he loved it here and I think the UConn job is tiring. Bring him back.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

As I have been saying for weeks

It is going to be Archie Miller

Limoncello’s will be on the house !
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago As I have been saying for weeks

It is going to be Archie Miller

Limoncello’s will be on the house !
When you first said Archie I was on board. Let’s hope my singing rhody board friend is right
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

You have me excited Blueram.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago If we're aiming for the stars, give Dan everything he wanted and much more. I think he loved it here and I think the UConn job is tiring. Bring him back.
Go to bed
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Here’s a name that just hit me (I have no inside knowledge so I’m pulling this out of my arse). What about Brad Steven’s? Maybe he wants back into college coaching?

This is the first year I haven’t heard his name being suggested for a job.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago If we're aiming for the stars, give Dan everything he wanted and much more. I think he loved it here and I think the UConn job is tiring. Bring him back.
This is a hilarious take.. he ain’t never coming back. He clearly loves UConn and that job is one zillion times better than URI lmao
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

The time to do that was 5 years ago
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Here’s a name that just hit me (I have no inside knowledge so I’m pulling this out of my arse). What about Brad Steven’s? Maybe he wants back into college coaching?

He turned down $10m annually from Indiana last year. That might be more then our whole state is worth.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
The time to do that was 5 years ago
I can see him coming back in 2037 as a last career stop
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Here’s a name that just hit me (I have no inside knowledge so I’m pulling this out of my arse). What about Brad Steven’s? Maybe he wants back into college coaching?

He turned down $10m annually from Indiana last year. That might be more then our whole state is worth.
Yeah it was mostly in jest. I don’t see him leaving the NBA but might one day leave the Celtics for another coaching gig.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Yeah it was mostly in jest. I don’t see him leaving the NBA but might one day leave the Celtics for another coaching gig.
And if he did he’d legit have 75% of P6 schools offering him massive contracts. Including ones with decent coaches willing to fire them on the spot
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We had a chance at a former Celtics coach. We also had the first Celtic coach come from URI. Don’t sell this schools basketball history short.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I’m going to blindly connect the dots between Ace’s post and BAR’s post. Ace is tapped into the Hurley fam, and she suggested Bobby could end up elsewhere this offseason. BAR suggesting Thorr is aiming for the stars hire, well this board loves the Hurley name.

Bobby can be closer to his family here on the east coast at URI. The Hurley name buys him some time if the first few years are rough. The pressure isn’t as immense at URI as it is at a P5, albeit ASU. URI makes for a soft landing spot for Hurley when he’s likely to get canned next offseason.

I still see URI going other directions but why not feed into silly season…
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Go to bed
LOL
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, go ahead, crush my fantasy.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I’m going to blindly connect the dots between Ace’s post and BAR’s post. Ace is tapped into the Hurley fam, and she suggested Bobby could end up elsewhere this offseason. BAR suggesting Thorr is aiming for the stars hire, well this board loves the Hurley name.

Bobby can be closer to his family here on the east coast at URI. The Hurley name buys him some time if the first few years are rough. The pressure isn’t as immense at URI as it is at a P5, albeit ASU. URI makes for a soft landing spot for Hurley when he’s likely to get canned next offseason.

Ace also said about a month ago that “You all gotta stop with the Bobby talk. I mean, you don’t have to, but it’s not happening.”
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago I’m going to blindly connect the dots between Ace’s post and BAR’s post. Ace is tapped into the Hurley fam, and she suggested Bobby could end up elsewhere this offseason. BAR suggesting Thorr is aiming for the stars hire, well this board loves the Hurley name.

Ace also said about a month ago that “You all gotta stop with the Bobby talk. I mean, you don’t have to, but it’s not happening.”
I can live with it, not a big Bobby guy myself.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah, go ahead, crush my fantasy.
Exponentially better chance of that happening in your dreams tonight. Just trying to help
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I learned a lot this weekend. I also want Anderson to go to Tulsa and Bobby to come to St. John’s and have absolute mayhem go down twice each season. Even with a vested interest, I just cannot make myself care about Pac-12 basketball.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 2 years ago Even with a vested interest, I just cannot make myself care about Pac-12 basketball.
It really is a challenge. Just not much of a connection for us east coasters. Games are also typically late. I tried to hype myself up for the UCLA v USC game last night but I watched the first 5 min or so and was off to bed.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What % would you guys put on Bobby bring our next coach ??
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago Even with a vested interest, I just cannot make myself care about Pac-12 basketball.
It really is a challenge. Just not much of a connection for us east coasters. Games are also typically late. I tried to hype myself up for the UCLA v USC game last night but I watched the first 5 min or so and was off to bed.
I’m barely staying awake for Duke-VA Tech. (PS: I’m old)
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

<1%
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

<1%
Agreed. I recall hearing his relationship with the administration wasn’t exactly the best while he was at URI. If that’s accurate, I expect there would be little interest on either side.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

We had a chance at a former Celtics coach. We also had the first Celtic coach come from URI. Don’t sell this schools basketball history short.
They had a more recent Celtics coach than Rick Pitino on staff for multiple years!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

<1%
Agreed. I recall hearing his relationship with the administration wasn’t exactly the best while he was at URI. If that’s accurate, I expect there would be little interest on either side.

He does come off like someone who is harder to work with than most.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

<1%
He was mad because he felt like his brother was lied to. It was probably more ignorance than malice, but the people who should have really did not know what was going on with the basketball program. New discoveries everyday back then, and they were never good.
0 x