Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by ramster »

Thorr did not interview Tammi Reiss or Dan Hurley in Rhode Island
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Was he at the Hertz counter?
Martyf250 has been a poster for 9 years. I looked it up because sometimes we get trolls at times like these. Not many posts over the years but good, reasonable posts.
So I’m going to give benefit of the doubt
Archie could be coming in to interview for UMASS and/or for URI. The timing certainly makes sense.
It’s a common barstool joke about “player x” being at Logan renting a car.

Cmon friends. Be better.
All starting with rumors the Patriots were getting Larry Fitzgerald
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I think they'd be more of a spot for Sean.

As much as we view Archie very highly (rightfully so), a lot of P5 teams have questions after Indiana didn't go well.

The fact that Indiana was willing to pay Archie $10M would give a lot of programs pause before the major investment of firing/hiring a coach.

The better news here for us, is that those larger midwest programs that could come open, might target Sean before Archie.
Doubt it would happen and not sure of the NCAA fall out, but if no further action, Sean Miller may be worth the risk for Maryland.
Wow if Capel keeps his job they were awful this year

Capel is not getting fired by Pitt at this time only because he has a contract that runs through 2026-27 with a present buyout amount estimated to be near some $15M.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2022/03 ... n-2022-23/
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

Doubt it would happen and not sure of the NCAA fall out, but if no further action, Sean Miller may be worth the risk for Maryland.

Capel is not getting fired by Pitt at this time only because he has a contract that runs through 2026-27 with a present buyout amount estimated to be near some $15M.

Next year it drops to $5M
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

Next year it drops to $5M
Ok makes sense then for 1 more year but I would guess if they don’t improve much he is gone Pitt has lots of cash
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

As I have said all along.. Archie Miller will be our next coach.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago As I have said all along.. Archie Miller will be our next coach.
I think if he comes in for an interview that’s a great sign
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just checking in. Wanted to make sure the conspiracy is still alive. And it is.
5 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

In yesterday's Eye on College Basketball podcast, Matt Norlander brought up Archie Miller when talking about the URI job opening. For something with supposedly such long odds, there sure is a decent amount of smoke. Can we somehow speak this into existence?
7 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

The one thing we have going for us is he likely doesn’t want to sit out another year. He’s “under-qualified” for a high end P6 gig. So his options are something like a Missouri? Or high end mid major, which I would bucket A10 (us) into.

Going to a school like URI definitely gives him an easier chance of success than something like a Missouri having to compete with the best in the country every night.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago The one thing we have going for us is he likely doesn’t want to sit out another year. He’s “under-qualified” for a high end P6 gig. So his options are something like a Missouri? Or high end mid major, which I would bucket A10 (us) into.

Going to a school like URI definitely gives him an easier chance of success than something like a Missouri having to compete with the best in the country every night.
He’s under qualified for a high end P5 gig? So if a person WAS a coach at Indiana how is that person under qualified?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago The one thing we have going for us is he likely doesn’t want to sit out another year. He’s “under-qualified” for a high end P6 gig. So his options are something like a Missouri? Or high end mid major, which I would bucket A10 (us) into.

He’s under qualified for a high end P5 gig? So if a person WAS a coach at Indiana how is that person under qualified?
Because he got fired…?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Under qualified probably not the right term, but he failed at Indiana. Safe to assume then he needs to succeed at a lower level job in order to get another P6 job
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

Under qualified probably not the right term, but he failed at Indiana. Safe to assume then he needs to succeed at a lower level job in order to get another P6 job
So what’s the term? What do we call a P5 coach who gets fired? A mid major coach?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

So what’s the term? What do we call a P5 coach who gets fired? A mid major coach?
We could invent one. Let’s call them “Rick Pitinos” or maybe “Travis Fords”?
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Pretty much. At least until they prove themselves again. I’m not sure what part of this you’re not understanding
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would Archie be a candidate at LSU ?? If not what u think their short list looks like ??
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago In yesterday's Eye on College Basketball podcast, Matt Norlander brought up Archie Miller when talking about the URI job opening. For something with supposedly such long odds, there sure is a decent amount of smoke. Can we somehow speak this into existence?
Why is everyone worrying ?

We are landing Archie Miller as our next head coach.

Dee breaths everyone - all will be ok.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Keep in mind his wife's family has a place in the Outer Banks - so they definitely like the water but it's not like it'll "wow" them being here.

Also, their daughter is going to LSU for gymnastics. So I bet Tom Ryan would need to throw in a "private jet for Morgan Miller to go see her daughter's meets" offer in the contract.
LSU being open now could be a factor.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago
Keep in mind his wife's family has a place in the Outer Banks - so they definitely like the water but it's not like it'll "wow" them being here.

Also, their daughter is going to LSU for gymnastics. So I bet Tom Ryan would need to throw in a "private jet for Morgan Miller to go see her daughter's meets" offer in the contract.
Would Archie want to deal with the fallout from the hammer the NCAA is going to drop on LSU? Those reports show a tremendous number of level 1 violations.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There will be penalties for the LSU program, but that probably gives some job security for whoever the hire is to work through any early struggles.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

How does a coach recruit effectively with any sort of postseason ban that may last more than 1 year? The only good to come from this is that, if Kevin Ollie was show-caused for 10 years with his violations, Wade's show-cause should out-last humanity.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago

Would Archie want to deal with the fallout from the hammer the NCAA is going to drop on LSU? Those reports show a tremendous number of level 1 violations.
Hmmm I forgot his daughter goes to LSU that’s definitely concerning
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Here at the AMFC, we have updated our group charter to leave room for change to our top tier basketball coaching hire support.

We would also support a Chris Mack initiative.

Thank you.

Management.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Not a huge fan of Mack . he is another coach who let his players dictate kind of like Cox . But I guess he would be better than some of the underwhelming choices being mentioned that have only coached at lower level programs and would offer a very high risk to reward potential as
a result.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Here at the AMFC, we have updated our group charter to leave room for change to our top tier basketball coaching hire support.

We would also support a Chris Mack initiative.

Thank you.

Management.
Yes Blue Man, a Chris Mack hire would be a homerun for us.
You never know, some teams may stay away because of the earlier issues and his 6 game (20 day) suspension.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

luke wrote: 2 years ago Not a huge fan of Mack . he is another coach who let his players dictate kind of like Cox . But I guess he would be better than some of the underwhelming choices being mentioned that have only coached at lower level programs and would offer a very high risk to reward potential as
a result.
You “guess” he would be better?

Literally the reason I latched on to the Miller conspiracy is because I thought that would be the best we could realistically do. That Mack would be way above us.

A-10 conference title. A-10 COY. Big East conference title. Big East coy.

4 sweet 16’s and an elite 8. 9 NCAA births - 10 if not for Covid.

I guess the Dino Gaudio situation made some problems for him down there and that’s why the resignation.

Make no mistake. This would be a near-Harrick level hire.

You’re a dunce if you think any less.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Not a huge fan of Mack . he is another coach who let his players dictate kind of like Cox . But I guess he would be better than some of the underwhelming choices being mentioned that have only coached at lower level programs and would offer a very high risk to reward potential as
a result.
Yeah, you’re right. Who wants a coach who has made 9 tournaments in 13 years including 4 sweet sixteens and an elite eight.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Dunce is a criminally underused insult
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

a result.

Literally the reason I latched on to the Miller conspiracy is because I thought that would be the best we could realistically do. That Mack would be way above us.

I guess the Dino Gaudio situation made some problems for him down there and that’s why the resignation.

If we got Mack tickets at the Ryan Center might become scarce.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

a result.

Fwiw Mack is supposedly a major d-bag. Doesn’t necessarily matter when you win like he did but there are a lot of people who don’t like him.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
a result.

Fwiw Mack is supposedly a major d-bag. Doesn’t necessarily matter when you win like he did but there are a lot of people who don’t like him.
And your point is? So we only hire boy scouts?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
a result.

I got a refund this year on my season tix. If Mack became coach, I would triple my season tix.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Just relaying info on his reputation. Nothing more. He’s still a helluva basketball coach. Jim Harrick wasn’t a Boy Scout but he also wasn’t a d-bag.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

BigA before you get our small time thinkers on an anti Mack campaign because he's mean. Let's all remember David Cox is a true gentleman and where the F that got us. How long until one of the twentysomethings chimes in with Chris Mack can't come here we don't have facilities. URI is a freakin plum job!

GO RHODY!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I got a refund this year on my season tix. If Mack became coach, I would triple my season tix.
I was thinking Jay Wright ..But way too dapper and too classy of a guy must be something up with him

Mark Few.... West Coast guy not sure if he could recruit in the Atlantic 10

Scott Drew...looked Good at first for us . But at further look he had a speeding ticket in 1999 and questioned the cop as to why he got it, d bag

Chris Beard... Left a Texas school for another Texas school got to be an idiot

John Beilein too old

Tommy Lloyd not enough experience

Greg Popivich never coached in college before

Matt Painter. Never made a final 4

John Calipari... Well we know he looks like a veteran car salesman

Coach K. Maybe we can ask the booster to step up and get him out of retirement

Maybe URI ,or at least the fans should ease up on the requirements and their personal assessments
6 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
I was thinking Jay Wright ..But way too dapper and too classy of a guy must be something up with him

Scott Drew...looked Good at first for us . But at further look he had a speeding ticket in 1999 and questioned the cop as to why he got it, d bag

John Beilein too old

Maybe URI ,or at least the fans should ease up on the requirements and their personal assessments
and Gio you didn't even account for our Holier than thou crew that come out of the woodwork!

GO RHODY!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just relaying info on his reputation. Nothing more. He’s still a helluva basketball coach. Jim Harrick wasn’t a Boy Scout but he also wasn’t a d-bag.
BAR actually a good percentage of the Louisville fans are d-bags.

Chris Mack was a recipient of the National Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award for his off court contributions.
He also established the Mack Family Foundation whose mission is to inspire and aid less fortunate children.

Just providing a little perspective on him as a person vs. what you had heard.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

John Beilein too old

Not me Gio. Never. NCAA or Bust. I don't live my life half assed. It's all or nothing. Don't let my high expectations dampen fan support. I'm just a fan of URI basketball.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

John Beilein too old

Not me Gio. Never. NCAA or Bust. I don't live my life half assed. It's all or nothing. Don't let my high expectations dampen fan support. I'm just a fan of URI basketball.
No easing off on the requirements. NCAA or Bust.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Geezus rough crowd. I didn’t say don’t hire the guy I just am relaying what some people in coaching/media think about him. I mean the dude fired his mentor and threw him under the bus.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

John Beilein too old

What a post, what a post.

Bravo!
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

John Beilein too old

What a post, what a post.

Bravo!
Yep. Lower those expectations. Don’t want anybody thinking big.
NCAA or BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

a result.

What was the Dino Gaudio situation regarding Mack ??
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

a result.

www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/08/27/loui ... -extortion
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/08/27/loui ... -extortion
Wow juicy stuff , they go way back to being assistants at Xavier too
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He literally called him his mentor.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Chris Mack was an assistant under Sean Miller. Thad Matta had already built Xavier into a National power and Sean Miller took over from Matta and
continued the rise of the program . Chris Mack inherited an established program from Miller . Miller had won 3 A 10 titles and had 4 NCAA appearances before moving to Arizona . Mack was able to continue the program forward though his team in the middle of his coaching run was involved in a brawl with Cincinnati and he lost control of his players who instigated the brawl . Some of his players acted like thugs during games with Cincy and Dayton ( There
was also a pregame on court mini brawl prior to the start of a game with Dayton also instigated by Xavier ) .Mack made no attempt to control their thuggish behavior . I would attribute Much of Mack's success to the standing and culture at Xavier established by Matta and Sean Miller . Mack
probably deserves some credit for keeping things going as well as they did , IMO the recruiting pipelines were already in place for him and the talent
level of the players was optimal . Would I consider him a good candidate for URI ? Sure . I don't think he would achieve the same level of success
that he did at Xavier , however. He would be an upgrade I would agree , however i would prefer Archie or Sean Miller or Dan or Bobby Hurley who
were able to bring a high level of success to struggling programs at Dayton, URI and Buffalo respectively . Chris Mack was never placed in such a
position so I am not certain he would have done as well under the same circumstances . But , given the other names mentioned other than the Millers
and the Hurleys I would have to agree that he would probably be the best choice that I am aware of at the moment . When I said I wasn't a fan of Mack
it has a lot to do with the brawling incidents I have mentioned which I personally witnessed . It left a bad impression on me concerning Mack . He had a
very talented team which I thought was able to overcome some of his flaws as a coach . bu in the end he has been very successful and so he would have to go to the top of the list for me just under Archie and Bobby . If you think he would be better than Archie or Bobby , Blueman , you could certainly
make a strong argument for Chris Mack and I wouldn't strongly disagree with you. I hope this clarifies my thinking on Mack .
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Chris Mack was an assistant under Sean Miller. Thad Matta had already built Xavier into a National power and Sean Miller took over from Matta and
continued the rise of the program . Chris Mack inherited an established program from Miller . Miller had won 3 A 10 titles and had 4 NCAA appearances before moving to Arizona . Mack was able to continue the program forward though his team in the middle of his coaching run was involved in a brawl with Cincinnati and he lost control of his players who instigated the brawl . Some of his players acted like thugs during games with Cincy and Dayton ( There
was also a pregame on court mini brawl prior to the start of a game with Dayton also instigated by Xavier ) .Mack made no attempt to control their thuggish behavior . I would attribute Much of Mack's success to the standing and culture at Xavier established by Matta and Sean Miller . Mack
probably deserves some credit for keeping things going as well as they did , IMO the recruiting pipelines were already in place for him and the talent
level of the players was optimal . Would I consider him a good candidate for URI ? Sure . I don't think he would achieve the same level of success
that he did at Xavier , however. He would be an upgrade I would agree , however i would prefer Archie or Sean Miller or Dan or Bobby Hurley who
were able to bring a high level of success to struggling programs at Dayton, URI and Buffalo respectively . Chris Mack was never placed in such a
position so I am not certain he would have done as well under the same circumstances . But , given the other names mentioned other than the Millers
and the Hurleys I would have to agree that he would probably be the best choice that I am aware of at the moment . When I said I wasn't a fan of Mack
it has a lot to do with the brawling incidents I have mentioned which I personally witnessed . It left a bad impression on me concerning Mack . He had a
very talented team which I thought was able to overcome some of his flaws as a coach . bu in the end he has been very successful and so he would have to go to the top of the list for me just under Archie and Bobby . If you think he would be better than Archie or Bobby , Blueman , you could certainly
make a strong argument for Chris Mack and I wouldn't strongly disagree with you. I hope this clarifies my thinking on Mack .
Attachments
9CCC2D5F-AB90-496F-809A-C0BA677649D0.jpeg
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

3/14/2022 and Archie is still available. The conspiracy continues!!!!!
6 x