Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by giovanni »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago UConn loses. Gives Thorr a couple of days to negotiate with Kimani Young.
I would not be opposed to Young. But I am now very leary of going the assistant route again.. it has worked some places it's certainly hasn't worked here. Not to mention the program is in a downward spiral.. I think the time to give a guy ,who's going to lead a program for the first time , a program that is on the uptick and just has the responsibility to carry on what is already been built.. In our situation I think we need someone with experience and I think it's possible to get one of these bigger names
Last edited by giovanni 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago golocal I give zero credence to.
I think golocal is trash also- but when it comes to Rhody hoops I believe they have some sort of connection to some inside info- most likely boosters.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago golocal I give zero credence to.
I think golocal is trash also- but when it comes to Rhody hoops I believe they have some sort of connection to some inside info- most likely boosters.
The more I think of it I wouldn't mind it all the Richard Pitino was at least in the conversation. He's only 39, a New England guy with eastern connections. Yes Kimani did some great recruiting for him at Minnesota, but winning in the Big ten in Minnesota is not an easy job. I would consider it similar to a Duquesne in the a-10 or Pittsburgh in the ACC. He won 25 games in the NIT in his first year 24 games in his 3rd year, 22 in his 5th. The Big ten is arguably the best conference in basketball the last 10 years. Actually I think his resume is fairly impressive.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Plus he adds name recognition and maybe we could get a game on ESPN at Madison square garden vs Iona
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Cmon man, kimani young?
Really?
F me
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Bruce Weber
Max Good
Glen Miller
Jere Quinn
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Chance to scout Becker - Vermont is on at 11AM on espn2.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm a 180 from last hire, no more assistant coaches especially from other teams. Our list should be of successful HC's and we should be prepared to pay the bill.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramforlife
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Ramforlife »

Gregg Marshall needs a second chance
0 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

If we don't go the P6 assistant route or to an older, experienced P6 cast off/rebrand/stepping stone, I'm warming up to Matt Langel at Colgate.

Has won 3 of the last 4 Patriot League regular season championships. 3 NCAA bids in the last 4 years (could've gone to a 4th but for covid). Dominating that league at a school that has had minimal success outside of Adonal Foyle. 3-time Patriot League coach of the year. Head coach for 11 years and has built a solid program in a pretty remote location.

Assisted Fran Dunphy for 2 years at UPENN and 5 years at Temple (4 NCAA bids) so he knows the A10 and what it takes to recruit in this league.

Successful playing career at UPENN and knocked around minor league ball and Europe before getting into coaching.

We could do a lot worse.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I think R72 was being facetious with that one.
I was being facetious and meant to just "rile up" Rhody15 for all his personal attacks on Rhody fans.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramforlife wrote: 2 years ago Gregg Marshall needs a second chance
1 post ever, joined 40 minutes ago, let’s hope you are Gregg Marshall and are correct!

Would take him (you) in a heartbeat!
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote: 2 years ago If we don't go the P6 assistant route or to an older, experienced P6 cast off/rebrand/stepping stone, I'm warming up to Matt Langel at Colgate.
A coach who has stayed at a lower level program where he was successful and could have moved up is not what I'm looking for in our new coach. We have had the most success with ambitious coaches who want to move up.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Frank_Keaney_95 wrote: 2 years ago If we don't go the P6 assistant route or to an older, experienced P6 cast off/rebrand/stepping stone, I'm warming up to Matt Langel at Colgate.
A coach who has stayed at a lower level program where he was successful and could have moved up is not what I'm looking for in our new coach. We have had the most success with ambitious coaches who want to move up.
So you know him and know what he's thinking and what interviews he's taken over the last few years?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Has won 3 of the last 4 Patriot League regular season championships. 3 NCAA bids in the last 4 years (could've gone to a 4th but for covid). Dominating that league at a school that has had minimal success outside of Adonal Foyle. 3-time Patriot League coach of the year. Head coach for 11 years and has built a solid program in a pretty remote location.

Assisted Fran Dunphy for 2 years at UPENN and 5 years at Temple (4 NCAA bids) so he knows the A10 and what it takes to recruit in this league.

Successful playing career at UPENN and knocked around minor league ball and Europe before getting into coaching.

We could do a lot worse.
I have no issues with Langel, brought his name up several times.

We don't even know if he is on Thorr's radar.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If URI hires a head coach from a lower profile conference, he had better dominated that league and represented it in multiple NCAA tournaments. Someone like Pat Skerry, with a .500 record in eleven years at Towson with zero NCAA trips, most definitely does not fit this description.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago If URI hires a head coach from a lower profile conference, he had better dominated that league and represented it in multiple NCAA tournaments. Someone like Pat Skerry most definitely does not fit this description.
Yup, would really love the national media to justify why they keep saying Skerry should be a candidate here.

His career record at Towson is literally .500, and conference record is barely over .500.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m not sure recently fired P6 head coaches are the way to go either without some serious vetting of the circumstances. Archie Miller is worth pursuing but some of the others don’t thrill me … either personality issues or mediocre results.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

! Message from: ATPTourFan
Those who cannot restrain from spoiling the discussion with political messages will have their posts immediately deleted and may find themselves in a time out.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago If URI hires a head coach from a lower profile conference, he had better dominated that league and represented it in multiple NCAA tournaments. Someone like Pat Skerry most definitely does not fit this description.
Yup, would really love the national media to justify why they keep saying Skerry should be a candidate here.

His career record at Towson is literally .500, and conference record is barely over .500.
I think his name is mentioned because of his ties to both URI and PC.

He is already 52 and hasn't set the world on fire as HC at Towson, not even an NIT invite after 10 years (maybe this season).

There are so many candidates worth considering over him.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

He is already 52 and hasn't set the world on fire as HC at Towson, not even an NIT invite after 10 years (maybe this season).

Yea he’ll get an NIT invite by default because they finished 1st in the conference and lost in their tournament, but I highly highly doubt he even recovers a call from Thorr.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Agreed 100%. I do not think Skerry is at all a serious candidate in the eyes of URI. There is no way that David Cox, with a better career record of 64-55 would be fired by URI so it could replace him with a coach that had an 11 year tenure record of 171-171 and no NCAA appearances. His name is just being thrown out there by lazy journalists because he had a previous tie to the program.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

With all the variety of opinions on this board , it sounds pretty unanimous that no one wants Skerry. Thorr may not be a basketball guy per day but a good AD has connections that they trust in each sport and I'm sure he does and Skerry is not even in consideration
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Becker’s UVM squad looking dominant in the AE Championship.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

My wish list as of now (no order):

Archie Miller
Rick Pitino
Greg Marshall
Chris Mack
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Becker’s UVM squad looking dominant in the AE Championship.
It’s clear he’s a good coach. My biggest question (shared by many others) is his ambition. 10 years now at Vermont as HC, 5 years before that as an Asst there.

In his mid 50s is he really NOW ready to go all in on moving up and putting in the effort it takes to be successful in a much more competitive conference?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago My wish list as of now (no order):

Rick Pitino

Archie Miller
Chris Mack
Greg Marshall

0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Rick Pitino

Archie Miller
Chris Mack
Greg Marshall

Haha!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Becker’s UVM squad looking dominant in the AE Championship.
It’s clear he’s a good coach. My biggest question (shared by many others) is his ambition. 10 years now at Vermont as HC, 5 years before that as an Asst there.

In his mid 50s is he really NOW ready to go all in on moving up and putting in the effort it takes to be successful in a much more competitive conference?
Good point. I’m curious to know if/why he’s not accepted higher conference jobs before.
0 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago

Good point. I’m curious to know if/why he’s not accepted higher conference jobs before.
And that’s not to say he wouldn’t accept a job here. If we offer double his salary he’d probably be dumb to say no (as you would in any line of work). But I hope that means he’s still coming for the right reasons, to prove he can win at the next level, and not just to collect a better check for 5 years before he retires
0 x
birdistheword
Jim Eitner

Unread post by birdistheword »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago

This is why no AD wants him. He's been looking to leave for years now.

https://www.rakevt.org/2022/03/12/uvm-b ... legations/
Last edited by birdistheword 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

John Becker can coach. I don't know that he can bring in top A10-level talent, but I know that he will get the very best out of his guys. They will likely be a 13 seed...If Vermont upsets a top seed in the tournament, I'm assuming he'll be high on our list. He probably already is.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Rick Pitino

Archie Miller
Chris Mack
Greg Marshall

Rick Pitino isn’t walking through that door.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago John Becker can coach. I don't know that he can bring in top A10-level talent, but I know that he will get the very best out of his guys. They will likely be a 13 seed...If Vermont upsets a top seed in the tournament, I'm assuming he'll be high on our list. He probably already is.
I Believe it was Jersey 77 said That's where the assistant coaches come in and play a big part That's absolutely correct. Being able to coach and run a program should be number one priority there's always a way to get players
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
If he were to come here then that means he wants to move up
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The position per RI hiring regulations must be publicly posted and remain open for fourteen days for candidates to apply. The position was immediately posted yesterday 03/11/22 and the application process closes 03/25/22.

URI Men's Basketball Head Coach Position Link:
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/9617

Here are the first two required qualifications:

1. Bachelor’s degree.

2. Demonstrated experience as a Division I head coach or five years minimum experience as an assistant basketball coach at the college level (preferably Division I) or professional level.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Admit it - you'd love to see this guy on the sideline next season.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The position per RI hiring regulations must be publicly posted and remain open for fourteen days for candidates to apply. The position was immediately posted yesterday 03/11/22 and the application process closes 03/25/22.

URI Men's Basketball Head Coach Position Link:
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/9617

Here are the first two required qualifications:

1. Bachelor’s degree.

2. Demonstrated experience as a Division I head coach or five years minimum experience as an assistant basketball coach at the college level (preferably Division I) or professional level.
Put in my application just now. Thanks for the link!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Little Ricky does nothing for me I hope Thorr is aiming higher than that
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Admit it - you'd love to see this guy on the sideline next season.
No I want to see him selling used cars with Tony Bergeron
5 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

reef wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Admit it - you'd love to see this guy on the sideline next season.

This is a common narrative. And Peter Kiss being a DB is also linked. Listen to the post that Stevie Stud posted of his interview with Adam Finkelstein..in no way does he project what a visual stereotype might project. He's done some very good things whether you like him or not
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I would, absolutely.

He took over a Bryant team that went 3-28 in its last year under O'Shea and has them dancing four years later. I want someone who has turned around a program and won a conference title as a head coach.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

And another thing about Grasso — he's not afraid to schedule tough games out of conference. So many people here whined about our cupcake nonconference schedule. This year Bryant played at Clemson, Houston, Cincinnati ... last year, at Syracuse. Given the choice, most of us probably would have traded our nonconference schedule for theirs this year (even if it meant fewer home games).
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

This is a common narrative. And Peter Kiss being a DB is also linked. Listen to the post that Stevie Stud posted of his interview with Adam Finkelstein..in no way does he project what a visual stereotype might project. He's done some very good things whether you like him or not
Gio I agree with you. Here’s the link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... GxGhbZrryF
1 x
Common sense is not common.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Grasso was able to get those OOC opponents because those schools knew they would win those games.

Good luck getting them to play us, especially if we were good.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Can I assume no one wants Will Wade?
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Grasso was able to get those OOC opponents because those schools knew they would win those games.

Good luck getting them to play us, especially if we were good.
I get that 100%. I was prepared for someone to make that argument, and it's true. But I think my point is more that he understands that the point of a nonconference schedule isn't to pad his resume with wins.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

If he were to come here then that means he wants to move up
.... or he is looking for a place to retire.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago Can I assume no one wants Will Wade?
He probably needs to lay low for a while.

Still an ongoing NCAA investigation, he is a little toxic right now.
1 x