Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by rambone 78 »

UMass looks like they are dead serious about major upgrades to their program...

And now URI will have to stop the talk and walk the walk.........our hand will be forced.

Want to play with the big boys?

Have to PAY like the big boys!

Something like this will tell us a lot, as to whether URI is dead serious about getting this program to the next level.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This thread is like these MLB rumors that baseball will be back soon. I can only take so much disappointment.
1 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

relax boy's

Archie will be here

period. stop.

Believe it or not, I'm walkin' on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Finally we have a real coach at RHODY
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's ARCHIE
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If Archie is a viable candidate (for us) at some point Umass will talk to him. If there is no rumor of that then it would be a flag IMO. We are likely both circling around the same candidate list.
Thought you said Archie already had another job?

Changing your mind in 24 hours?
Dude you must have some outages in life whereas your sole purpose here seems to be snarky comments and provocations. Find a hobby I suggest golf.

I have heard he is off the board. But that is obv still rumor until something tangible comes out. It’s not that hard to follow. It’s also not that hard to try not to be a snarky punk on a URI message board.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If Archie is a viable candidate (for us) at some point Umass will talk to him. If there is no rumor of that then it would be a flag IMO. We are likely both circling around the same candidate list.

Dude you must have some outages in life whereas your sole purpose here seems to be snarky comments and provocations. Find a hobby I suggest golf.

I have heard he is off the board. But that is obv still rumor until something tangible comes out. It’s not that hard to follow. It’s also not that hard to try not to be a snarky punk on a URI message board.
I'm pretty sure the guy wakes up every morning telling himself "its time for another day of being the message board police!" Maybe made himself a badge and a little hat and everything. It's ironic that he calls every other poster "miserable", because he'd easily be at the top of my rankings for most "miserable" poster. A complete lack of self awareness.

(I look forward to the standard reply now about how I am miserable and he just "tells it like it is".) :lol:
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Our resident Paul Blart.
4 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

This minor conflict got me thinking we should have our own tournament where Kearney Blue members put on sumo wrestling suits and go at it to settle their differences. I would pay to watch.

Who would the matchups be?

BlueMan vs DCRams would be a good one.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Interesting. More and more openings - yet no official Archie Miller chatter on a coaching position outside of Borzello mentioning the URI whispers.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
He was literally named in a published ESPN article about the UMass job.
There is a giant difference between a writer saying he's hearing whispers and a columnist throwing random names out. Not as big of a difference as the difference between you and a good poster, but giant nonetheless
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure the guy wakes up every morning telling himself "its time for another day of being the message board police!" Maybe made himself a badge and a little hat and everything. It's ironic that he calls every other poster "miserable", because he'd easily be at the top of my rankings for most "miserable" poster. A complete lack of self awareness.

(I look forward to the standard reply now about how I am miserable and he just "tells it like it is".) :lol:
Lol my thoughts exactly
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Interesting. More and more openings - yet no official Archie Miller chatter on a coaching position outside of Borzello mentioning the URI whispers.

There is a giant difference between a writer saying he's hearing whispers and a columnist throwing random names out. Not as big of a difference as the difference between you and a good poster, but giant nonetheless
Yeah agreed. Every article that's published will of course throw Archie's name out there. He's a high level, experienced, and available coach.

A columnist writing about prospective candidates is throwing anything out there.

A writer with connections responding to specific rumors and throwing out Archie is a bit more meaningful imo.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah agreed. Every article that's published will of course throw Archie's name out there. He's a high level, experienced, and available coach.

A columnist writing about prospective candidates is throwing anything out there.

A writer with connections responding to specific rumors and throwing out Archie is a bit more meaningful imo.

…Jeff Borzello (along with Pete Thamel) wrote the article.

So we’re going to believe what Borzello said on a podcast about Archie and Rhody, but we’re not going to believe what Borzello wrote about Archie and UMass?

How does that make sense?
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The same person who said he’s hearing whispers about Archie to Rhody, wrote the article connecting Archie to UMass.

So tell me how that’s a “giant difference.”
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Having the time to craft an article is different than an off-the-cuff response.

The fact that he was mentioned out-of-the-blue and immediately weighs more imo. Neither jobs were open at that time.

I am sure the "whispers" he heard lend credence to the idea that Archie would be open to an A-10 return, hence mentioning Archie in article about an A-10 opening.

For all we know it means Archie is at least considering a move to the A-10. Certainly lends a lot more credibility to this thread than others would like to admit.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

There's going to be massive overlap in the names linked to UMass and the names linked to URI.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The same person who said he’s hearing whispers about Archie to Rhody, wrote the article connecting Archie to UMass.

"Potential names expected to be involved in UMass' coaching search include Vermont's John Becker, Missouri State's Dana Ford, Wagner's Bashir Mason, Yale's James Jones, Bryant's Jared Grasso and former Indiana coach Archie Miller."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ve-seasons

VS.

The first one (UMass) is just listing different names that UMass could be interested in that aren't completely outlandish. Borzello isn't connecting Archie and UMass, he's identifying it as a potential fit in the broadest way possible. The second (URI) is actual interest from one side in Archie coaching at that school. Now maybe the whispers are coming from the URI athletic department in which case there isn't a big difference between the two in actuality, because I'm sure UMass would be interested in Archie coaching there as well. That said, there is a massive difference in the phrasing and the connotation of that phrasing
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

"Potential names expected to be involved in UMass' coaching search include Vermont's John Becker, Missouri State's Dana Ford, Wagner's Bashir Mason, Yale's James Jones, Bryant's Jared Grasso and former Indiana coach Archie Miller."

VS.

The first one (UMass) is just listing different names that UMass could be interested in that aren't completely outlandish. Borzello isn't connecting Archie and UMass, he's identifying it as a potential fit in the broadest way possible. The second (URI) is actual interest from one side in Archie coaching at that school. Now maybe the whispers are coming from the URI athletic department in which case there isn't a big difference between the two in actuality, because I'm sure UMass would be interested in Archie coaching there as well. That said, there is a massive difference in the phrasing and the connotation of that phrasing
I take Borzello's whispers as closer to Miller than any athletic departments. The Field of 68 podcast connection is pretty obvious.

Just like Zags is a Hurley mouthpiece - I assume something similar for Goodman/Borzello and the Millers.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Good news if you think Pitt is a potential landing spot for Archie.

3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Good news if you think Pitt is a potential landing spot for Archie.

Nice! Certainly doesn't hurt.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Good news if you think Pitt is a potential landing spot for Archie.

I think they'd be more of a spot for Sean.

As much as we view Archie very highly (rightfully so), a lot of P5 teams have questions after Indiana didn't go well.

The fact that Indiana was willing to pay Archie $10M would give a lot of programs pause before the major investment of firing/hiring a coach.

The better news here for us, is that those larger midwest programs that could come open, might target Sean before Archie.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

As much as we view Archie very highly (rightfully so), a lot of P5 teams have questions after Indiana didn't go well.

The fact that Indiana was willing to pay Archie $10M would give a lot of programs pause before the major investment of firing/hiring a coach.

The better news here for us, is that those larger midwest programs that could come open, might target Sean before Archie.
Doubt it would happen and not sure of the NCAA fall out, but if no further action, Sean Miller may be worth the risk for Maryland.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Doubt it would happen and not sure of the NCAA fall out, but if no further action, Sean Miller may be worth the risk for Maryland.
Wow if Capel keeps his job they were awful this year
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

VS.

To me, the fact that Archie is now formally linked to the UMass job in an article published on ESPN is actually a good sign for URI, whichever side the “attachment” is coming from. If he is being targeted by UMass or he is associating himself with the job in discussions with reporters, either way it shows that our instinct isn’t way off here. Sometimes I feel like we get going down a narrative path that unbeknownst to us has no connection to reality and what is really going on behind the scenes.

If it comes down to UMass vs URI, I will take my chances that a prospective coach will pick URI. I think it is a better, more attractive job. I find it hard to believe that UMass would be a serious landing spot for Miller and we wouldn’t be. So if he’s being linked to UMass then we’re in the game (and maybe favored).

The only thing I’ll say is that if we both lose today, or if UMass loses and we somehow win and they announce Archie Miller is their new coach tomorrow or something because it turns out that we have not been doing all of the work on this behind the scenes before we officially fire Cox I will absolutely lose my shit. UMass made an announcement and we didn’t because they’re bad people and don’t mind humiliating their coach whereas we have a little class, but I have to assume (hope) that we are equally as far along in the process of lining up candidates. But this is URI, after all, and I swear to god if we messed this up by waiting around while UMass and others are moving I don’t know if I’ll ever come all the way back as a fan. We absolutely cannot botch this.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

What if he's off the board because he has an agreement already in place with URI and is just waiting for everything to be settled with Cox before the sides officially announce it?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That would be like......fantastic
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

This minor conflict got me thinking we should have our own tournament where Kearney Blue members put on sumo wrestling suits and go at it to settle their differences. I would pay to watch.

Lol theres no conflict.

I agree with, and disagree with, everyone here on things.

One day I’ll agree with (insert name here) and the next day I could disagree with that same person.

I’ll be bias with Rhody on some things, but I guess I lean more towards having a more of a neutral outlook on things instead of being 1000% Rhody bias 24/7/365.

Whether that’s so I don’t get disappointed if things fall thru, if it’s just me being a realist (for example, every recruit is not a “game changer”), I just fundamentally don’t agree with that persons opinion, or the poster is just 100% wrong/bias and I’m correcting said poster.

Everyone here calls out everybody else on there posts, me included.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

What if he's off the board because he has an agreement already in place with URI and is just waiting for everything to be settled with Cox before the sides officially announce it?
I think that’s a huge long shot , I believe Archie is waiting for more jobs to open and will be in high demand . We may make a call as we should but my guess is he is shooting for something better hope I am dead wrong
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Archie's last year in the A10 was 2017. That was the year we won the A10 Tournament. And we beat Creighton in the first game of the NCAAT. When Dayton came to Kingston, the Ryan Center was basically sold out. When Dayton played at UMass the month before the attendance was 2,628. These are things people remember.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I already mentioned that possibility. I wouldn't hate it
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

I think that’s a huge long shot , I believe Archie is waiting for more jobs to open and will be in high demand . We may make a call as we should but my guess is he is shooting for something better hope I am dead wrong
I agree Reef, I think there may be bigger opportunities opening up for Archie after the tournaments.

Curious to see if Richmond moves on from Mooney.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

VS.

To me, the fact that Archie is now formally linked to the UMass job in an article published on ESPN is actually a good sign for URI, whichever side the “attachment” is coming from. If he is being targeted by UMass or he is associating himself with the job in discussions with reporters, either way it shows that our instinct isn’t way off here. Sometimes I feel like we get going down a narrative path that unbeknownst to us has no connection to reality and what is really going on behind the scenes.

If it comes down to UMass vs URI, I will take my chances that a prospective coach will pick URI. I think it is a better, more attractive job. I find it hard to believe that UMass would be a serious landing spot for Miller and we wouldn’t be. So if he’s being linked to UMass then we’re in the game (and maybe favored).

The only thing I’ll say is that if we both lose today, or if UMass loses and we somehow win and they announce Archie Miller is their new coach tomorrow or something because it turns out that we have not been doing all of the work on this behind the scenes before we officially fire Cox I will absolutely lose my shit. UMass made an announcement and we didn’t because they’re bad people and don’t mind humiliating their coach whereas we have a little class, but I have to assume (hope) that we are equally as far along in the process of lining up candidates. But this is URI, after all, and I swear to god if we messed this up by waiting around while UMass and others are moving I don’t know if I’ll ever come all the way back as a fan. We absolutely cannot botch this.
Couldn't agree more.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I'd only agree to fight the winner of DCRams/TJRams
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Damnit, reef...just let me have this one thing, haha.

It's been a shit season and I want to feel some kind of hope for at least a little while.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damnit, reef...just let me have this one thing, haha.

It's been a shit season and I want to feel some kind of hope for at least a little while.
Believe me Kyle I hope you are right and I am wrong !!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'd only agree to fight the winner of DCRams/TJRams
First round bye!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Archie's last year in the A10 was 2017. That was the year we won the A10 Tournament. And we beat Creighton in the first game of the NCAAT. When Dayton came to Kingston, the Ryan Center was basically sold out. When Dayton played at UMass the month before the attendance was 2,628. These are things people remember.
Your point about attendance got me curious, so I looked at all the games Archie had here and at UMass.

URI
2013 - 3388 - 44.2%
2014 - 6211 - 81.1%
2016 - 6105 - 79.7%
2017 - 7394 - 96.6%
AVG - 5775 - 75.4%

UMass
2013 - 6096 - 64.2%
2015 - 5633 - 59.3%
2017 - 2628 - 27.7%
AVG - 4786 - 50.4%

Their best attended game was only slightly better than our average game by total fans and quite a bit under when it comes to percentage and that was during one of UMass' best seasons in the last 20+ years. They went to the NIT semifinal the year before, would go on to the NIT that year, and make the NCAA the following year. When you compare these games with our attendance and where we were as a program, you'd have to hope Archie remembers how much better the fan support and fan base is here
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Archie's last year in the A10 was 2017. That was the year we won the A10 Tournament. And we beat Creighton in the first game of the NCAAT. When Dayton came to Kingston, the Ryan Center was basically sold out. When Dayton played at UMass the month before the attendance was 2,628. These are things people remember.
Your point about attendance got me curious, so I looked at all the games Archie had here and at UMass.

URI
2013 - 3388 - 44.2%
2014 - 6211 - 81.1%
2016 - 6105 - 79.7%
2017 - 7394 - 96.6%
AVG - 5775 - 75.4%

UMass
2013 - 6096 - 64.2%
2015 - 5633 - 59.3%
2017 - 2628 - 27.7%
AVG - 4786 - 50.4%

Their best attended game was only slightly better than our average game by total fans and quite a bit under when it comes to percentage and that was during one of UMass' best seasons in the last 20+ years. They went to the NIT semifinal the year before, would go on to the NIT that year, and make the NCAA the following year. When you compare these games with our attendance and where we were as a program, you'd have to hope Archie remembers how much better the fan support and fan base is here
And that arena is terrible. Looks a lot more empty with all those open seats.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

1 x
Clapton is God
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

If Jim Harrick can come here to resurrect his career why not Archie Miller?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get on the phone Thorr to gauge Archie’s interest
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rammgr wrote: 2 years ago If Jim Harrick can come here to resurrect his career why not Archie Miller?
I think Harrick was at a lower point - NCAA violations (even if they were stupid ones), fighting with the AD at UCLA, a not-so-great reputation - than Miller, who just didn't get the job done to the lofty expectations of IU administrators.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Welcome to the f*cking show.

Day 1.

Miller rumors exactly where they were two weeks ago. ALIVE.

Until there's a press conference that has a Mr. Miller or a Mr. Bjorn in front of a podium, we continue to believe!
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

Guys, I have a friend who just saw Archie Miller at Logan airport!
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Martyf250 wrote: 2 years ago Guys, I have a friend who just saw Archie Miller at Logan airport!
Was Pat Riley waiting outside to pick him up!?!?
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Logan might mean he's interviewing at UMass.
..if this is true of course ha ha
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Martyf250 wrote: 2 years ago Guys, I have a friend who just saw Archie Miller at Logan airport!
Was he at the Hertz counter?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martyf250 has been a poster for 9 years. I looked it up because sometimes we get trolls at times like these. Not many posts over the years but good, reasonable posts.
So I’m going to give benefit of the doubt
Archie could be coming in to interview for UMASS and/or for URI. The timing certainly makes sense.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Martyf250 has been a poster for 9 years. I looked it up because sometimes we get trolls at times like these. Not many posts over the years but good, reasonable posts.
Archie could be coming in to interview for UMASS and/or for URI. The timing certainly makes sense.
It’s a common barstool joke about “player x” being at Logan renting a car.

Cmon friends. Be better.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Could definitely make sense, Thorr fires Cox in the morning , jumps in a car and meets Archie at a place between here and Boston for lunch
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Just read all of his posts

Super random and very interesting lol

He's never really joked around before!
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Would rather he said he "saw" him at t f green
1 x