Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Richard Pitino being mentioned

I saw that and says he is making 800k at New Mexico. I hope that is not our budget for this position.
He's 12-18 at New Mexico this year, and finished up 141-123, and 54-96 in Big Ten play, while at Minnesota. No thanks.
5 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
RamIt! wrote: 2 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago How long before the new coach is announced?
Days?
Weeks?
Month?
Months?
Let's not forget this is a "State" job, so they have to legally post the job and take interviews for I think a month before they can officially hire anyone.
When we hired Hurley the news broke on March 16th. Baron was let go on March 4th, for context. So that one took under two weeks. Considering it took them less than 12 hours after the season ended to make the announcement on Cox, I’m interpreting that as they are going to move expeditiously here. If they have identified who they want and can come to terms with him, I doubt they will wait. The state hiring process formalities can be dealt with after the fact.

The transfer portal makes this kind of situation extremely time critical. ANY time that the position is open is too long. !

The deal is done when the contract is signed. if,there is a posting requirement, the University needs to get a “carve out” passed and made law to eliminate any poaching of a newly announced coach.

Let’s go Rhody, make it happen !,
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I saw that and says he is making 800k at New Mexico. I hope that is not our budget for this position.
He's 12-18 at New Mexico this year, and finished up 141-123, and 54-96 in Big Ten play, while at Minnesota. No thanks.

. But he graduated from PC.😁😁
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just say no to Richard Pitino
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I have a list you and the big donors would like.

Rick Pitino
Archie Miller
Bobby Hurley

That's all the list we need.
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just say no ...

0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don’t get the infatuation with Bobby Hurley. Take the Hurley name out of it and he’s been an average coach.

People want to hire Bobby because of the Hurley name and dismiss Grasso because they don’t like his persona.
4 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Just say no ...

While I'm not against either being assistant coaches at Rhody that will be up to the next head coach.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Kiss has an attitude for sure.....but he's REALLY good......
He's such a d*ck but I can't help but respect it.
As a Peter I accept him
+1
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Just say no ...

While I'm not against either being assistant coaches at Rhody that will be up to the next head coach.
Clearly, Jimmy and Tyson have contacted Jeff Goodman and asked him to float their names out there.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

No more OJT. We need a proven head coach.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I have a list you and the big donors would like.

Rick Pitino
Archie Miller
Bobby Hurley

This is my dream top 3
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rick Pitino
Archie Miller
Bobby Hurley

Only one of those is available and he will wait for a better job. Whose in your next 3?
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I don’t get the infatuation with Bobby Hurley. Take the Hurley name out of it and he’s been an average coach.

People want to hire Bobby because of the Hurley name and dismiss Grasso because they don’t like his persona.
I think there's a good amount of "Will his shit work at a higher level?" with Grasso. Meaning, his current team's success relies on a really difficult personality to manage (Kiss), they haven't been particularly impressive OOC (we beat them by 20 this year), and his track record at Bryant isn't particularly long. Personally, I think he *could* be good here, but I'd rather have someone with a longer track record of success, whether that's Archie Miller, Becker or someone else. He strikes me as a fallback candidate.

In contrast, while I'd prefer Archie Miller over Bobby, let's not overlook that he had won the regular season titles for Buffalo twice and the conference tournament once, and got Arizona State to a pair of NCAA tournaments, with a third one likely lost to Covid. He's faltered the past two years, but I think he's shown that he can win, maybe just not to the extent that Arizona State wants.
10 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'll take an average coach from the PAC-12 over a good coach from the NEC.
4 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago

Rick Pitino
Archie Miller
Bobby Hurley

Only one of those is available and he will wait for a better job. Whose in your next 3?
Mack
Weber
Crean
?
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Or Maybe even poach some of Hurleys assistant coaches at Connecticut ....... Young or Tom Moore Might be ready. I'm not so keen on Luke Murray yet
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

class of 86 wrote: 2 years ago Or Maybe even poach some of Hurleys assistant coaches at Connecticut ....... Young or Tom Moore Might be ready. I'm not so keen on Luke Murray yet
hahaha Tom Moore.

Was barely over .500 in his time at Quinnipiac.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

class of 86 wrote: 2 years ago Or Maybe even poach some of Hurleys assistant coaches at Connecticut ....... Young or Tom Moore Might be ready. I'm not so keen on Luke Murray yet
How did his last assistant work out for us?
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Pass on Tom Moore. He has done enough damage here already.
4 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I don’t get the infatuation with Bobby Hurley. Take the Hurley name out of it and he’s been an average coach.

I think there's a good amount of "Will his shit work at a higher level?" with Grasso. Meaning, his current team's success relies on a really difficult personality to manage (Kiss), they haven't been particularly impressive OOC (we beat them by 20 this year), and his track record at Bryant isn't particularly long. Personally, I think he *could* be good here, but I'd rather have someone with a longer track record of success, whether that's Archie Miller, Becker or someone else. He strikes me as a fallback candidate.

In contrast, while I'd prefer Archie Miller over Bobby, let's not overlook that he had won the regular season titles for Buffalo twice and the conference tournament once, and got Arizona State to a pair of NCAA tournaments, with a third one likely lost to Covid. He's faltered the past two years, but I think he's shown that he can win, maybe just not to the extent that Arizona State wants.
Definitely, but I think the "will shit work" applies to every coach that hasn't coached and won at the A10 level or higher. I think Grasso's ability to manage Kiss is actually a positive. If you want to win at the mid-major level sometimes you have to recruit guys that have P5 talent but may have some "baggage". Hurley did it successfully with Iverson and Stan, Cox failed with the Mitchell twins and to a lesser extent, Carey. I don't really read too much into Bryant getting pounded by URI or Houston this year, at the end of they day they are still a low major school.

Assuming Archie is off the board, I'm also a Becker guy too. Becker probably has a higher floor than Grasso but Grasso has the upside to me. In terms of Hurley at ASU, he's kind of just been Herb Sendek 2.0 with some years decent, other years mediocre, but I get ASU isn't a premiere P5 basketball school too, so I'm not expecting a linear trajectory.

Hurley's rebuild of Buffalo isn't nearly as impressive as what Grasso did either. Hurley inherited a Buffalo program that had won 20+ games in 2 of the last 3 years and 3 of the last 5, but he was able to do what his predecessor couldn't and get Buffalo to the dance, so he does deserve credit for that.

Grasso won 22 games this year at Bryant, in the three years prior to his arrival, Bryant won a total of 23 games. Grasso almost had them dancing in year 3 too, Bryant lost in NEC Championship.

This is a bottom line business and love him or hate him, Grasso has delivered for Bryant.
7 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I’d like someone in the mold of Anthony Grant. Been in the big time and humble enough to come back to A10. Worked for Dayton and St Louis for the most part .
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

He's such a d*ck but I can't help but respect it.
As a Peter I accept him
+1

I’m laughing so hard 😂🤘🏼😂
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

One bad year at Harvard and Amaker falls off the hot coach list. I believe he's been on Thorr's list in the past.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago

Definitely, but I think the "will shit work" applies to every coach that hasn't coached and won at the A10 level or higher. I think Grasso's ability to manage Kiss is actually a positive. If you want to win at the mid-major level sometimes you have to recruit guys that have P5 talent but may have some "baggage". Hurley did it successfully with Iverson and Stan, Cox failed with the Mitchell twins and to a lesser extent, Carey. I don't really read too much into Bryant getting pounded by URI or Houston this year, at the end of they day they are still a low major school.

Assuming Archie is off the board, I'm also a Becker guy too. Becker probably has a higher floor than Grasso but Grasso has the upside to me. In terms of Hurley at ASU, he's kind of just been Herb Sendek 2.0 with some years decent, other years mediocre, but I get ASU isn't a premiere P5 basketball school too, so I'm not expecting a linear trajectory.

Hurley's rebuild of Buffalo isn't nearly as impressive as what Grasso did either. Hurley inherited a Buffalo program that had won 20+ games in 2 of the last 3 years and 3 of the last 5, but he was able to do what his predecessor couldn't and get Buffalo to the dance, so he does deserve credit for that.

Grasso won 22 games this year at Bryant, in the three years prior to his arrival, Bryant won a total of 23 games. Grasso almost had them dancing in year 3 too, Bryant lost in NEC Championship.

This is a bottom line business and love him or hate him, Grasso has delivered for Bryant.
Thank you!!! I couldn't agree more with this post.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
hahaha Tom Moore.

Was barely over .500 in his time at Quinnipiac.

Moore stinks. He never even bothered to move here to RI since he knew he wasn’t staying. Huge pass on him.

I can’t wait to have fire and excitement in this program again!
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Is Thorr willing to gamble on someone who is likely to embarrass the university at some point?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Moore badly wanted to be associate HC at UConn but was passed over for Young. I think that says a lot about both of them.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’d rather have Young or Murray than Moore. But I’m starting to warm to an existing head coach (other than Grasso).
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I posted some fairly disparaging things about Dan on his way out, more of frustration that tampering by UConn seemed clearly evident but that’s a different conversation for a different day.

But, man, it would be great to see Bobby back in Kingston. Always thought he was a major contributor to Rhody and the team did stumble for a while after losing him under Dan.

Lots of reasons this makes sense but, admittedly, a lot would need to break in our direction first.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago

How has Grasso managed Kiss? Kiss was suspended two games at the beginning of the year and that message and Grasso's subsequent managing led to Kiss receiving a one game suspension from the conference and one from the school as the regular season was winding down, and those suspensions and the following managing led to Kiss' asshattery being a big part of the brawl in the stands during the championship game. Best I can tell Grasso hasn't been successful at managing Kiss at all
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Is Thorr willing to gamble on someone who is likely to embarrass the university at some point?
Grasso?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Grasso would be down on my list , we’d have to strike out on a bunch of our top candidates for me to warm to him
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago One bad year at Harvard and Amaker falls off the hot coach list. I believe he's been on Thorr's list in the past.
I'd be ok with giving Amaker a look for sure. I was high on him last time around.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I'll take an average coach from the PAC-12 over a good coach from the NEC.
So you're saying you'd take Bobby Hurley over Dan Hurley?

I know that's not what you meant, just having some fun.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

damram wrote: 2 years ago Pass on Tom Moore. He has done enough damage here already.
I think I speak for everyone at URI when I say fuck Tom Moore.
12 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RAMFAN wrote: 2 years ago
obstreperousness

This was a new word for me
1 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Anyone mind copying and pasting the text for those of us non-locals who don't have Projo subscriptions
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago One bad year at Harvard and Amaker falls off the hot coach list. I believe he's been on Thorr's list in the past.
I'd be ok with giving Amaker a look for sure. I was high on him last time around.

. I believe Amaker is being paid $1.8 at Harvard already. If true, why would he choose us even if we could offer that much?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramrod wrote: 2 years ago
Anyone mind copying and pasting the text for those of us non-locals who don't have Projo subscriptions
Yes please , who are the 9 candidates Billy Koch mentioned I don’t have a subscription

I would be fine with Amaker also
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

. I believe Amaker is being paid $1.8 at Harvard already. If true, why would he choose us even if we could offer that much?
If thats the case then he may not be interested. All I could find from a quick google search was that he was making $700k as of a few years ago.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Ramrod wrote: 2 years ago
Yes please , who are the 9 candidates Billy Koch mentioned I don’t have a subscription

I would be fine with Amaker also
I am sure they all have been mentioned on this board, probably no surprises.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

John Becker, Vermont
Jared Grasso, Bryant
Jeff Boals, Ohio
Shaheed Holloway, St Peters
Bashir Mason, Wagner
Matt Langel, Colgate 
King Rice, Monmouth
Robert Jones, Norfolk State 
James Jones, Yale 

I think it would violate forum rules to paste the entire story here.
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Watching the St. Louis-St. Bonaventure raises an idea that's been mentioned on this board once in a while: can we find a coach -- head coach or assistant -- who can teach players to defend well without fouling?
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago John Becker, Vermont
Jared Grasso, Bryant
Jeff Boals, Ohio
Bashir Mason, Wagner
Matt Langel, Colgate 
King Rice, Monmouth
James Jones, Yale 

This list is wrong

It will be Archie Miller
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago John Becker, Vermont
Jared Grasso, Bryant
Jeff Boals, Ohio
Bashir Mason, Wagner
Matt Langel, Colgate 
King Rice, Monmouth
James Jones, Yale 

I do like King Rice
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

That list is pretty underwhelming.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago That list is pretty underwhelming.
He did mention Archie Miller, Chris Mack, or Mark Turegeon - but with the caveat that those are traditionally outside of the realm of our economic investments around the program.

Doesn't mean we couldn't go that direction, but that it would take a departure from our usual process and investments.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Somebody actually wants Tom Moore? The slime that Calhoun sent here ?
0 x