David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Re: FIRE(d) COX (per Rothstein + Koch)

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

“David Cox is a first-class individual, and I am grateful for his hard work and the manner in which he represented the University throughout his time at Rhode Island,” Bjorn said. “This is not a decision I take lightly, but a change is necessary. I have tremendous respect for David, and I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.”
This sums up how I’m feeling pretty accurately. (Especially the “a change is necessary” part, but also the whole thing.)
7 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I can't imagine a new HC wanting an alum, future HC AND fan favorite as an assistant unless he viewed the URI job as a stepping stone I do not like Becker. While I like Grasso, I don't think URI wants to poach Bryant's coach. I want a coach on his way up who has fire in his belly. I'm OK with Luke Murray and think he could put together a good staff.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I can't imagine a new HC wanting an alum, future HC AND fan favorite as an assistant unless he viewed the URI job as a stepping stone I do not like Becker. While I like Grasso, I don't think URI wants to poach Bryant's coach. I want a coach on his way up who has fire in his belly. I'm OK with Luke Murray and think he could put together a good staff.
Grasso is literally "a coach on his way up with a fire in his belly."

URI will not give one single shit where and how they acquire a new coach.

If they decide Grasso is the best candidate, they will hire him, with him being at Bryant meaning absolutely nothing.

God damn it man why are you like this with every single post?
6 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Now to follow the transfer portal to see who is going to jump ship
Frankly who cares. If people leave, they leave. This was part of the reason why we hired Cox in the first place and look where that got us.

This team was a disaster to watch, in fact I did not watch much the last month or so. I said back before the year began how the hell do you build a team like this in 2022. Back in the early 80's before the 3 point shot, maybe. They had no one who could shoot where most teams today are playing with four guys that can shoot the basketball. They had no guards or wings to speak of that had any ability to shoot the basketball consistently, just not built for todays basketball. The 3 point shot has changed basketball for better or worse, but this team did not reflect this at all. The emphasis on how athletic someone was and ignoring all else such as viable basketball skills such as shooting, dribbling and passing.

Cox is a fine human being, no denying that. But he failed miserably as a coach in almost all areas. I said last year it was time to cut bait, I knew they would give him this year and hope for the best. But I was convinced that he was what he was which is not a very good coach.

This is a very important hire. I have no idea who to hire, but they need to get this one right. Kudo's to Thorr to making the decision quick, there was no reason to prolong this, and I wish him success with the new hire.

And Cox I wish you the best in your next endeavor. You are a class act in many ways, but unfortunately not a very good head coach. Ouch, that sounds harsh but those are the facts.
Just saying it's the next phase in this process. Go outside and touch some grass. Today is a good day.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

Kudos to Pres Parlange. Was worried that a guy who has spent so much time abroad might not “get it” when it comes to athletics here. No doubt that this decision, especially the timing of it, had to have his blessing and possibly his direction. He tweeted the above within the hour of the news breaking on Cox and that is cold as hell knowing what was about to happen and honestly that gives me hope.

Hope is reinstated. Parlange really seems to be taking URI on the proper trajectory we all want to see. Hopefully he’s reached out to some HC prospects already. As corrupt as RI is, the university itself as well as its community have a lot to offer. Easy sell to the right fit.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

At least we know the next head coach won’t be Bozeman or Carroll 😂👋🏼
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Am I overthinking things or does this:

“ The University will have no further comment until the search is complete.”

suggest that Thorr hopes to find a new coach quickly (in a couple weeks).
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Am I overthinking things or does this:

“ The University will have no further comment until the search is complete.”

suggest that Thorr hopes to find a new coach quickly (in a couple weeks).
They've had that line after every press release announcing a coach is leaving, it's standard
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Any word on what happens to the assistants?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Any word on what happens to the assistants?
99.9% of the time, they all get fired too.

Up to the new coach to decide to he wants to bring any of them back.
2 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Any word on what happens to the assistants?
99.9% of the time, they all get fired too.

Up to the new coach to decide to he wants to bring any of them back.
Yeah - I believe at URI, and most schools, assistants are all on one-year deals. I think it'll be impossible to know whether the new hire wants Buchanan, Bozeman or Carroll until we know who it is.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think there will be a hope that TJ is retained but ultimately that will be up to the next coach. He may at least be retained by the school until the new coach is hired so that there is technically someone overseeing the program and serving as a point of contact between the players and the administration during the transition.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago From Jeff Borzello:

Friday, 10:15 a.m.: Rhode Island made the expected move of parting ways with David Cox on Friday morning and now another attractive New England job is on the market. While there were some Archie Miller whispers a couple of weeks ago, two names expected to be in the mix for the Rams are Vermont's John Becker and Bryant's Jared Grasso. Becker has had a tremendous amount of success with the Catamounts, while Grasso guided Bryant to the NCAA tournament this season and has a strong reputation as a recruiter.
A few things here.

Remember when we're getting into rumor season - certain guys have certain connections to certain people or programs.

I would trust the local guys right now when it comes to interest from the school.

National guys have different plugs in their ears from agents and coaches trying to position themselves for negotiating.

That said - this keeps everything exactly where I thought. Just like when the Cox search kicked off.

Everyone was FREAKING out because names like Becker were being thrown around and we had to wait 2 weeks even thought Cox was the coach in waiting.

URI HAS to do an interview process. They have to do one above board. They have to interview a certain number of candidates. It's a state school. We play by state rules.

That does not mean that things haven't been moving for weeks or months behind the scenes. This is the check-box part of the process.

I do not believe someone as veteran, tied in, and good as Thorr Bjorn decided last night to fire his basketball coach and is just now saying "wow, looks like we've got a coaching search to conduct."

Things have been in motion, now things are in public meaning that things need to be done above board.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Just wanted to say thank you, Thorr. Maybe it was the obvious decision, but certainly not an easy one.

Let’s get this hire right!

A new beginning. Always cleansing. Excited about what is to come.
10 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

As for the assistant coaching rumor mill - Jimmy, Tyson, etc - let's hire the right coach.

If we're hiring a big name (like Archie), he will probably have his own guys he'll want to bring in. He may want to interview a Ty or Jimmy. But it's not like Thorr is hiring the AC's.

Hire the right head coach. The right head coach will hire the right assistants. Together they will bring in the right players.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Give us a splash hire someone we can be excited about not the Grasso or beckers of the world
Archie Miller or bust!!
4 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

All the gushing well wishes on Twitter for DC would indicate some of you had your accounts hacked, I worry. Check your passwords and the sanctity of your accounts because what’s being posted there is squarely at odds with what’s said here. #KnifeintheBack
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 2 years ago All the gushing well wishes on Twitter for DC would indicate some of you had your accounts hacked, I worry. Check your passwords and the sanctity of your accounts because what’s being posted there is squarely at odds with what’s said here. #KnifeintheBack
Or everyone said he was a great person but a bad coach. I'm not seeing anyone speaking well about his coaching prowess on Twitter
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 2 years ago All the gushing well wishes on Twitter for DC would indicate some of you had your accounts hacked, I worry. Check your passwords and the sanctity of your accounts because what’s being posted there is squarely at odds with what’s said here. #KnifeintheBack
Dude stfu

Everyone here loves Cox the man and as an assistant
7 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yeah dude suck one.

Literally the same chorus of echos on here as what I've seen on twitter.

David Cox is a first rate human. Someone you want around your program. He was one of the best assistant coaches in the country and probably will be again.

He's been a bad head coach. I don't think he would disagree.

I have not found anyone on this board - even the trolls - to say anything bad about David Cox the person on this board. Even when a few have made slightly more animated remarks, when clarified it's been clear they've been talking about the coach and not the man.

You can still feel bad for the man losing his job because he's such a good guy.

And again, he did do everything right off the court. No gross scandals. No embarrassing behavior. Just a good family man who's wife and kids found a home and community they love here like all of us. He's in a hyper-competitive business that can be unforgiving if you don't produce, and here we are.

I can be simultaneously thankful that Dave Cox has been a part of this community, and thankful that his time as head coach here has passed.
11 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I can't imagine a new HC wanting an alum, future HC AND fan favorite as an assistant unless he viewed the URI job as a stepping stone I do not like Becker. While I like Grasso, I don't think URI wants to poach Bryant's coach. I want a coach on his way up who has fire in his belly. I'm OK with Luke Murray and think he could put together a good staff.

If they decide Grasso is the best candidate, they will hire him, with him being at Bryant meaning absolutely nothing.

He literally has a fire in his belly?? Oh my gosh...did he swallow lit match? Did he work in the circus and swallow swords that were lit? Quick, grab the fire extinguisher!!! Call 911!!! Tell him gulp a gallon of water!!

By the way, how does one look into another's belly?
2 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

He literally has a fire in his belly?? Oh my gosh...did he swallow lit match? Did he work in the circus and swallow swords that were lit? Quick, grab the fire extinguisher!!! Call 911!!! Tell him gulp a gallon of water!!

By the way, how does one look into another's belly?
Take a lap
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I had heard that he had extended one year but couldn't verify it so didn't post it...i guess it was true.

Glad to see they did what was needed.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hahahahah the only person on here that has gone a little far about Cox is Elm. The rest of us complain about his coaching. Friendly reminder this is D1 college basketball not middle school. Head coaches that underachieve will have fans that want him out.

He’s an awesome person and a bad head coach. I hope it works out for him wherever he ends up. #welcometotherealworld
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Getting $300k for a few years to not work isn't so bad. Let's keep things in perspective, since in college sports, the coaches have all the leverage.

I didn't see any language in the contract about an "offset" clause, in the event Cox gains comparable employment during the liquid damages payout term.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Getting $300k for a few years to not work isn't so bad. Let's keep things in perspective, since in college sports, the coaches have all the leverage.

I didn't see any language in the contract about an "offset" clause, in the event Cox gains comparable employment during the liquid damages payout term.
I had heard that all coaches were extended one year and reported it here recently. I assume from your post that what I heard was true. UMASS had an offset clause in McCall's contract. Thorr is doing a bad job writing and extending contracts,
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Getting $300k for a few years to not work isn't so bad. Let's keep things in perspective, since in college sports, the coaches have all the leverage.

I had heard that all coaches were extended one year and reported it here recently. I assume from your post that what I heard was true. UMASS had an offset clause in McCall's contract. Thorr is doing a bad job writing and extending contracts,
You also told us that URI didn't have the money to buy out Cox.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Friday, 10:15 a.m.: Rhode Island made the expected move of parting ways with David Cox on Friday morning and now another attractive New England job is on the market. While there were some Archie Miller whispers a couple of weeks ago, two names expected to be in the mix for the Rams are Vermont's John Becker and Bryant's Jared Grasso. Becker has had a tremendous amount of success with the Catamounts, while Grasso guided Bryant to the NCAA tournament this season and has a strong reputation as a recruiter.
A few things here.

Remember when we're getting into rumor season - certain guys have certain connections to certain people or programs.

I would trust the local guys right now when it comes to interest from the school.

National guys have different plugs in their ears from agents and coaches trying to position themselves for negotiating.

That said - this keeps everything exactly where I thought. Just like when the Cox search kicked off.

Everyone was FREAKING out because names like Becker were being thrown around and we had to wait 2 weeks even thought Cox was the coach in waiting.

URI HAS to do an interview process. They have to do one above board. They have to interview a certain number of candidates. It's a state school. We play by state rules.

That does not mean that things haven't been moving for weeks or months behind the scenes. This is the check-box part of the process.

I do not believe someone as veteran, tied in, and good as Thorr Bjorn decided last night to fire his basketball coach and is just now saying "wow, looks like we've got a coaching search to conduct."

Things have been in motion, now things are in public meaning that things need to be done above board.
Not sure if I’m reading too deeply between the lines but it feels like Borzello is saying Archie isn’t a serious candidate. Potentially by his own choice?

“While there were some Archie Miller whispers…”

If anyone might know it could be Borzello
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

A few things here.

Not sure if I’m reading too deeply between the lines but it feels like Borzello is saying Archie isn’t a serious candidate. Potentially by his own choice?

Yea, saying “there were” means there aren’t whispers anymore.
0 x
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I can live with Jimmy Baron and a completely fresh start. Call me stupid but I like the long game. What have we got to lose? He shits the bed, he’s out 3 years. He is great, he might stay for 30 years.

If all else fails, we can suit him up and sneak him in to shoot 3s. It’s the Rhody way.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

How did Jimmy Baron get brought into this? As far as I can see he's never coached a game in his life. And all of a sudden he's going to become a coach in the 8th, 9th or 10th best conference in the country?

He'd be a shaky hire at an NEC school let alone an A10 school.
6 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago How did Jimmy Baron get brought into this? As far as I can see he's never coached a game in his life. And all of a sudden he's going to become a coach in the 8th, 9th or 10th best conference in the country?

.. and that is exactly why I love it!

WTF do we have to lose?

Grasso? I rather lose with a potential legend.

Think big. We don’t!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jimmy Baron as an assistant I can be ok with
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago
scine20 wrote: 2 years ago How did Jimmy Baron get brought into this? As far as I can see he's never coached a game in his life. And all of a sudden he's going to become a coach in the 8th, 9th or 10th best conference in the country?

WTF do we have to lose?

Think big. We don’t!
Hiring Jimmy Baron is about as opposite of “thinking big” as anything I can think of. I love Jimmy but this thing with people naming potential coaches just because they’ve heard of them is going to drive me nuts before this is over. Jimmy, Lamar, Luke Murray, Preston, I’m sure someone will propose TJ at some point.

I feel like people don’t get how hard being a college head coach is. It isn’t just “knowing basketball” and recruiting. Those things are obviously important and I have my doubts about all of these “celebrity candidates” in those departments as well since none of them have been head coaches before. But beyond that, a college head coach isn’t just the coach. At a place like URI, the head coach is the GM, the HR director, the PR director, the promotions guy, the communications director, the chief administrator, the school psychologist, the chief fundraiser. It’s really hard for someone that has never worn all those hats before to come in and do it effectively. The experience that matters isn’t just having coached basketball. Running a program where there isn’t a first class institutional structure in place is really difficult just from an administrative standpoint putting aside all of the strictly basketball stuff that they have to be good at.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

OK, but I’m open to suggestions. Pitino would be a big splash. Can you imagine what at URI PC would be like? I just want to win.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

A few things here.

Yea, saying “there were” means there aren’t whispers anymore.
Why hasn’t Archie been brought up as a serious candidate anywhere else? Until he is I feel like we have a chance. You guys have to have some faith….
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

You also told us that URI didn't have the money to buy out Cox.
And that we had to extend him immediately because he has experience hiring people..

This has been a good day. A step in the right direction for our program and 72s favorite team getting exposed in the Big East tournament.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

WTF do we have to lose?

Think big. We don’t!
Hiring Jimmy Baron is about as opposite of “thinking big” as anything I can think of. I love Jimmy but this thing with people naming potential coaches just because they’ve heard of them is going to drive me nuts before this is over. Jimmy, Lamar, Luke Murray, Preston, I’m sure someone will propose TJ at some point.

I feel like people don’t get how hard being a college head coach is. It isn’t just “knowing basketball” and recruiting. Those things are obviously important and I have my doubts about all of these “celebrity candidates” in those departments as well since none of them have been head coaches before. But beyond that, a college head coach isn’t just the coach. At a place like URI, the head coach is the GM, the HR director, the PR director, the promotions guy, the communications director, the chief administrator, the school psychologist, the chief fundraiser. It’s really hard for someone that has never worn all those hats before to come in and do it effectively. The experience that matters isn’t just having coached basketball. Running a program where there isn’t a first class institutional structure in place is really difficult just from an administrative standpoint putting aside all of the strictly basketball stuff that they have to be good at.

Yeah, but everyone has to start somewhere. I could live with a few slow years, like Hurley, if iI was optimistic about the future.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

WTF do we have to lose?

Think big. We don’t!

Yeah, but everyone has to start somewhere. I could live with a few slow years, like Hurley, if iI was optimistic about the future.
He can go get some experience at Canisius then.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

He can go get some experience at Canisius then.

That certainly is an option. But you don’t know what you don’t know. WTF do we have to lose? Anther 3 seasons at the bottom of the A-10?
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I’m not looking for safe. I’m looking for something monumental.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

High risk? Yes but what do we have to lose?
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Do you want to be a mediocre team in a mediocre conference? I’m done with that.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago I’m not looking for safe. I’m looking for something monumental.
1 Pitino

2) Everyone else:
Miller
Mack
Hurley (but doubt he's available)

Please do not give up on The Rick....keep up the faith. I mean, I'd be thrilled to wind up with the Arch, but Pitino is the guy that moves the needle the most.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago I’m not looking for safe. I’m looking for something monumental.
1 Pitino

2) Everyone else:
Miller
Mack
Hurley (but doubt he's available)

Please do not give up on The Rick....keep up the faith. I mean, I'd be thrilled to wind up with the Arch, but Pitino is the guy that moves the needle the most.
Ditto.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Count me in the camp that would love to see Tyson and even Jimmy on the next staff as ASSISTANTS. The performance of Noah Fernandes this season has to be a nice note on Tyson’s resume. I gotta think he spent a lot of time with that kid.
Last edited by bigappleram 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Let’s go! It’s Rhode Island. What are we waiting for?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Let’s go! It’s Rhode Island. What are we waiting for?
A head coach.
2 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

WTF do we have to lose?

Think big. We don’t!
We have a lot to lose. How about being set back another 3-4 years and they rebuilding again. That is thinking dumb and not big. How has Michael Jordan done as a GM in the NBA? I don’t love Grasso either, but this is ridiculous hiring a guy with no experience because he was a great three point shooter
3 x