David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Friday is good. Not just because it’s sooner, either. Little Friday afternoon news dump will save us from whatever dumb media coverage you can count on from the true professionals in the Rhode Island news/opinion ecosphere. Can’t totally predict their angle but you can rest assured it will be stupid and piss everyone here off.

See for me, I would want as much news coverage on this disaster as possible, get all the eye balls on this shitshow.

Get people talking and knowing Rhody basketball is changing things up.
You have more faith in the non-sports media in Providence and the non-URI “taxpayer” than I do. I’m fearful of some kind of hatchet job wherein the good folks of Rhode Island, most of whom are not well-versed in how college athletics works, are instructed to be scandalized and outraged because their tax dollars are being used to buy out a minority head coach with a winning record and to spend big bucks on his replacement, all while gas prices approach $5 per gallon! I just have zero faith in the media to report basically anything in a way that properly contextualizes and explains the situation.
taking a page out of the Red Sox play book. let the smear campaign begin.
0 x
:lol:
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Now to follow the transfer portal to see who is going to jump ship
Yeah, not going to be a boring offseason, thats for sure.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
Doing this so immediately was intended to send a message.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

bye Felisha
1 x
:lol:
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

D2F53A7F-C028-4762-B83A-0B840A3C25B0.jpeg
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Could be Rothstein as well, but that list sounds right
Ding ding ding ding ding!!! Great call!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RamFan89 wrote: 2 years ago
In some capacity I hate to hit like on this, but I'm so happy it's time for change.
We can all agree he's a great guy, but incapable at this point of leading a program, at least URI. Nobody wants to see anyone lose their job, but I have no doubt he will quickly find employment elsewhere as an assistant if he chooses to
5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: FIRE(d) COX (per Rothstein)

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I've edited the topic title to reflect the news. I'll change it again when URI comes out with something official.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
RamFan89 wrote: 2 years ago
In some capacity I hate to hit like on this, but I'm so happy it's time for change.
We can all agree he's a great guy, but incapable at this point of leading a program, at least URI. Nobody wants to see anyone lose their job, but I have no doubt he will quickly find employment elsewhere as an assistant if he chooses to
I honestly think he will be a good HC at a lower level and he may have been an ok fit here if Hurley left a few years later and had built the program up more - I just don’t think he was ready to keep building it up the way it needs to be to compete in the A10.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Bill Koch also with the news:

3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: FIRE(d) COX (per Rothstein + Koch)

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Borzello and Morey on it as well.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Morey sums it all up pretty perfectly in one sentence.

3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Kudos to Pres Parlange. Was worried that a guy who has spent so much time abroad might not “get it” when it comes to athletics here. No doubt that this decision, especially the timing of it, had to have his blessing and possibly his direction. He tweeted the above within the hour of the news breaking on Cox and that is cold as hell knowing what was about to happen and honestly that gives me hope.
12 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Bill Koch also with the news:

Must have been more difficult working on this story when he is NYC covering another team.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm really going to miss his postgame interviews:

"We're competing really hard. You can see it with their free throws. They want them to go in so bad. The turnovers were ones of commission. They were trying so hard to make the plays..."

2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

David thanks for all the good you did!!!!

I’ll leave it at that.
5 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This goes a long way toward restoring my faith in this program.

There's a lot to do of course, but I'm confident that Thorr is well on his way to finding our next head coach, and that the hire will be a good one.

I'm sure he had the big boosters blessing on this also.

Should be an exciting offseason.....I [and we] now have something to look forward to!
6 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Kudos to Pres Parlange. Was worried that a guy who has spent so much time abroad might not “get it” when it comes to athletics here. No doubt that this decision, especially the timing of it, had to have his blessing and possibly his direction. He tweeted the above within the hour of the news breaking on Cox and that is cold as hell knowing what was about to happen and honestly that gives me hope.
He was at the A-10 tournament watching the team play.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I would assume probably a couple or a few or a players may be disappointed. I'm sure Cox treats his players well and is a good mentor. But for those who choose to stay, (and I believe it will be most of them with the right hire), they will benefit much more
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Done already! Thought we would drag it out!

Let's not forget how much he contributed as an assistant and 19/20 was a pretty fun year.

Peace Cox ✌️
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I doubt the twins will stay....the new coach will have them on a much shorter leash....but if they were able to change their ways, they could be a huge asset to this team.....you can't teach size.

We also need shooters, badly. Hope Chance decides to come, but if not, c'est la vie.

I will also add....Cox tried, he really did. Didn't work out, wish him luck wherever he ends up.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

From Jeff Borzello:

Friday, 10:15 a.m.: Rhode Island made the expected move of parting ways with David Cox on Friday morning and now another attractive New England job is on the market. While there were some Archie Miller whispers a couple of weeks ago, two names expected to be in the mix for the Rams are Vermont's John Becker and Bryant's Jared Grasso. Becker has had a tremendous amount of success with the Catamounts, while Grasso guided Bryant to the NCAA tournament this season and has a strong reputation as a recruiter.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Bassy knows him playing at URI is basically a charity case. Hell be transferring downstream soon
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Attachments
ZH0tOCn.gif
1 x
'No Mercy.'
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I doubt the twins will stay....the new coach will have them on a much shorter leash....but if they were able to change their ways, they could be a huge asset to this team.....you can't teach size.

We also need shooters, badly. Hope Chance decides to come, but if not, c'est la vie.

I will also add....Cox tried, he really did. Didn't work out, wish him luck wherever he ends up.
If the twins or anyone else decides to transfer, and they have already transferred once, do they have to sit out a year? Or can they be eligible right away through waivers or just that's how the rules are now? Thx -
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I doubt the twins will stay....the new coach will have them on a much shorter leash....but if they were able to change their ways, they could be a huge asset to this team.....you can't teach size.

If the twins or anyone else decides to transfer, and they have already transferred once, do they have to sit out a year? Or can they be eligible right away through waivers or just that's how the rules are now? Thx -
They'd have to apply for a waiver, but since the coach that recruited them was fired, there's a high chance it would be granted. It would also depend on where they ended up. Like, if they're trying to go to some school in Maryland, they can also argue that they wanted to be closer to home, too. I still think it's more likely that they go pro than transfer down, and I'm not sure what higher-quality program signs up for them at this point.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago From Jeff Borzello:

Friday, 10:15 a.m.: Rhode Island made the expected move of parting ways with David Cox on Friday morning and now another attractive New England job is on the market. While there were some Archie Miller whispers a couple of weeks ago, two names expected to be in the mix for the Rams are Vermont's John Becker and Bryant's Jared Grasso. Becker has had a tremendous amount of success with the Catamounts, while Grasso guided Bryant to the NCAA tournament this season and has a strong reputation as a recruiter.
I can see it coming down to these two, wouldn't be surprised at all.

Still hoping for more of a splash hire but doubt it.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Good.

Now give me Archie or Grasso and we're really in business
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m not rejoicing when a decent and honorable man loses his job. But it had to be done. I’m sure he’ll find a good fit somewhere. My hope is Thorr finds a Reiss-equivalent for the men’s team.
Last edited by Rhody74 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

They'd have to apply for a waiver, but since the coach that recruited them was fired, there's a high chance it would be granted. It would also depend on where they ended up. Like, if they're trying to go to some school in Maryland, they can also argue that they wanted to be closer to home, too. I still think it's more likely that they go pro than transfer down, and I'm not sure what higher-quality program signs up for them at this point.
Watch them land in an A10 program close to home, that would be something.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

FUUUUUUUUCK
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

FUUUUUUUUCK
Said the same… Becker has some ugly baggage right now too
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Uh oh I dont think I like the sound of that at all...
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He didn't say that Archie WASN"T still in the mix.
0 x
GO RAMS
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I’m not rejoicing when a decent and honorable man loses his job. But it had to be done. I’m sure he’ll find a good fit somewhere. My hope is Thorr finds a Reiss-equivalent for the men’s team.
He's a great person, but a bad coach. I'm rejoicing that URI made the right call as change is needed for the future of this program.

You can be happy for the program and feel bad for someone losing their job.
4 x
'No Mercy.'
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Given URI's guard and shooting struggles this year, I don't think this is a terrible idea...

The right person in the big chair is obviously the key.

3 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Each of us in our careers have been evaluated as exceeds/meets/fails to meet expectations. DC unfortunately is the latter. The rewards ($$$ etc) are incredibly high, which warrant high expectations. He failed to meet expectations given ample time and opportunity, simple as that.

Here's to the next chapter of Rhody hoops!
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They're just doubting we can get someone legit
3 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Puke at both of these options.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago They're just doubting we can get someone legit
So am I. Hope I'm wrong!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would be shocked if we hire Grasso.

Becker not so much. We should be aiming higher than them, and I'm confident that Thorr is doing that.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Bassy knows him playing at URI is basically a charity case. Hell be transferring downstream soon
I don’t agree. I’ve seen much more overwhelmed freshmen go on to have really good A10 careers, here and elsewhere. He has a lot of room to improve but I don’t have any real concern about whether he can play here. He could for sure end up transferring, and if he does it would likely be down rather than up. But calling him a charity case is way overstating it.
9 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Given URI's guard and shooting struggles this year, I don't think this is a terrible idea...

The right person in the big chair is obviously the key.

Hire the most qualified assistants. If they are URI alums, that's a bonus but not a prerequisite.
7 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Ah, I thought it was preposterous bringing up a “High School Shooting Coach” in Jimmy Baron.
Attachments
1152A7F4-2737-453D-AE86-9D7B0907A1E5.jpeg
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I want to Barf at the suggested coaches to be in the mix. No thanks to becker...grasso...langel. Recruiting at their current conferences level is not the same at an A10. We will be here in the same spot in 4 years if we settle for these guys.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Ah, I thought it was preposterous bringing up a “High School Shooting Coach” in Jimmy Baron.
I'm pretty sure you were advocating that he be the head coach, my dude. I doubt there would be any fervor about bringing him on as an assistant.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Ah, I thought it was preposterous bringing up a “High School Shooting Coach” in Jimmy Baron.
As a head coach option right now, it is preposterous, which is why Goodman only mentioned him as an assistant option until he gets more coaching experience.
3 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I’d think Grasso would be a better fit at UMass. Just don’t think he’d leave Bryant and stay in the state .
1 x