David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I can't see it happening tonight, or at least not announced tonight. Earliest is mid-morning tomorrow
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Truly a great year from start to finish. We’ll miss the second fastest coach to achieve 58 wins in their first 100 games.
Attachments
8012529B-CB9D-468C-BA4A-34FFE144D465.jpeg
4 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The bottom line is that many schools and coaches move on quickly . Hopefully, Thorr has done his completed his due diligence and has his choice locked up.

For sure we don’t need a search committee and endless delays by Thorr and the administration to fix the problem.

I don’t care if Cox is fired tonight, tomorrow or Monday, but, I do care that we solve the problem quickly and get our first choice done quickly. That’s what a winning program does.

An added note on Cox, he should be treated respectfully and let him leave with dignity. We all agree that Cox seems to be a good person, so, regardless,of his record and apparent inability to run a first rate program, we should not find it necessary to dump on him as he leaves.
8 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago Feel like it has to be tomorrow
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago An added note on Cox, he should be treated respectfully and let him leave with dignity. We all agree that Cox seems to be a good person, so, regardless,of his record and apparent inability to run a first rate program, we should not find it necessary to dump on him as he leaves.
Agree with you here, well said.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago The bottom line is that many schools and coaches move on quickly . Hopefully, Thorr has done his completed his due diligence and has his choice locked up.

For sure we don’t need a search committee and endless delays by Thorr and the administration to fix the problem.

I don’t care if Cox is fired tonight, tomorrow or Monday, but, I do care that we solve the problem quickly and get our first choice done quickly. That’s what a winning program does.

An added note on Cox, he should be treated respectfully and let him leave with dignity. We all agree that Cox seems to be a good person, so, regardless,of his record and apparentcomplete, indisputable, undeniable, painfully obvious inability to run a first rate program, we should not find it necessary to dump on him as he leaves.
Fixed it for you.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Twitter alerts set up for Borzello, Goodman, Norlander and Koch. I don't imagine it'll come from anyone else.
9 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Could be Rothstein as well, but that list sounds right
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Thorr made his mind up already might as well announce it tomorrow but it may be Monday
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

It’s all really sad but my gut says they’ll be parting ways tomorrow or Monday.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
Anyone else can't even bare to watch a second of his pressers? I just know it's gonna make me so damn uncomfortable
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago It’s all really sad but my gut says they’ll be parting ways tomorrow or Monday.
Friday is good. Not just because it’s sooner, either. Little Friday afternoon news dump will save us from whatever dumb media coverage you can count on from the true professionals in the Rhode Island news/opinion ecosphere. Can’t totally predict their angle but you can rest assured it will be stupid and piss everyone here off.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sometime today hopefully...early afternoon, after they are back on campus.

I agree, why wait any longer?

The decision has to have been made by now.

So far though, no leaks of any kind as far as I know.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I guess wait until the team is home?
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I guess wait until the team is home?
Yes, I would think so. Playing the final Jeopardy music in my head over and over…..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Sometime today hopefully...early afternoon, after they are back on campus.

I agree, why wait any longer?

The decision has to have been made by now.

So far though, no leaks of any kind as far as I know.
Yeah, the decision has probably been made.

Thorr is the chair of the A10 AD's, so he may stick around till the end of the tournament.

Don't know for sure if an official announcement will be made prior to then.

Guess we will find out soon enough.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago It’s all really sad but my gut says they’ll be parting ways tomorrow or Monday.
This is right. Everyone knows the decision is made. Could come down today to get it over with. If it doesn't happen today, it's not coming down tomorrow or Sunday, Thorr would be waiting until after the tournament is over and he's finished whatever responsibilities he has as head of the A10 athletic directors.

Also just because we might not hear anything until Monday, don't think a decision hasn't been made and plans have started to move
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

A change HAS to be made. I'm sure it's a done deal. Also, you can never give consideration to which players will stay or go when making a coaching hire. The roster movement is short term stuff, and the coaching hire is long term and big picture. I'm pretty sure we have learned that already a few times over now. Cannot make the same mistake ever again. If you hire the right coach, the players and winning will come.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Friday is good. Not just because it’s sooner, either. Little Friday afternoon news dump will save us from whatever dumb media coverage you can count on from the true professionals in the Rhode Island news/opinion ecosphere. Can’t totally predict their angle but you can rest assured it will be stupid and piss everyone here off.

See for me, I would want as much news coverage on this disaster as possible, get all the eye balls on this shitshow.

Get people talking and knowing Rhody basketball is changing things up.
4 x
Go Rhody
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

I think they will let everyone come home, enjoy the weekend and Monday he gets called into the office.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Back up the moving truck. Good shot he moves to Storrs.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Does anyone have any idea how many of the 17 losses had a double digit lead and in how many of those 17 games they had a lead in the 2nd half?
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I think the thing that annoys me most about Cox is how he utilizes his timeouts. Last night was a perfect example. You can't just randomly use timeouts in the middle of halves when you may need them toward the end of games. There was one timeout that made sense but the others did not.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Cox does not have the critical intensity so necessary in recruiting players or in their subsequent development. This is why his teams have faded as the season progresses in each of his four years at URI. You can't have a coaching style that is akin to being "one of the boys". Nice guy, but not a head coach.
4 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

He's also too conservative. He wasn't the right coach for Sheppard, for one. The lack of three point attempts as a team, trying to keep games low scoring, that's not coaching winning basketball at this level. They're not in the Ivy League.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago He's also too conservative. He wasn't the right coach for Sheppard, for one. The lack of three point attempts as a team, trying to keep games low scoring, that's not coaching winning basketball at this level. They're not in the Ivy League.
Lack of three point attempts?? Who on this team could consistently hit an open 3? That was the problem. Wide open shots missed, all season long. Every team we play in the A10 has guys who can just bang down threes. It’s incredibly predictable and really how the game is played now.

To Cox’s credit, he brought in Martin and El Amin (and AB) who were all college players with a good track record of hitting threes. None of them lived up to the potential. Going against Cox, he pushed out the guy with the best shot on the team (DJ) for recruits that never saw the floor and also probably can’t shoot, and never let Tres Berry try to develop early in the season. He also did not have a good option for PG - Thomas is a development player who may be a good A10 guard in a few years if he can fix his shot.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

From Kenny Green last night on twitter

"Because this team isn’t a half court team but yet and still they aren’t allowed to run where their athleticism is their best weapon."
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
scine20 wrote: 2 years ago He's also too conservative. He wasn't the right coach for Sheppard, for one. The lack of three point attempts as a team, trying to keep games low scoring, that's not coaching winning basketball at this level. They're not in the Ivy League.
Lack of three point attempts?? Who on this team could consistently hit an open 3? That was the problem. Wide open shots missed, all season long. Every team we play in the A10 has guys who can just bang down threes. It’s incredibly predictable and really how the game is played now.

To Cox’s credit, he brought in Martin and El Amin (and AB) who were all college players with a good track record of hitting threes. None of them lived up to the potential. Going against Cox, he pushed out the guy with the best shot on the team (DJ) for recruits that never saw the floor and also probably can’t shoot, and never let Tres Berry try to develop early in the season. He also did not have a good option for PG - Thomas is a development player who may be a good A10 guard in a few years if he can fix his shot.
El Ahmin shot 42% from 3, his career high.

He lived up to his potential, strictly from a shooting perspective.

The rest of his game was lacking though.

Martin was below 30% from 3, three out of the last four seasons (including this one). He wasn't billed as a top notch shooter.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Richmond outscored us by a combined 39 points in both second halves this season.

Cox just proving he has no idea what he’s doing after halftime.

Or ever, for that matter.
Interestingly, I watched the game with a friend who commented to me during the first half that the team was energized and playing with intensity.

Within two minutes of the second half, he was commenting on what was Rhody doing by slowing it down in what he called a “Prevent Offense” . He obviously is correct.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone have any idea how many of the 17 losses had a double digit lead and in how many of those 17 games they had a lead in the 2nd half?
This stuck out to me all year. When they were up on Richmond I was surprised at how happy it makes me to see URI playing good. I forgot what it feels like. The team this year needed maybe more conditioning or coaching in the department of endurance. Its like they showed up with the effort and mental endurance for a 22 minute game.

Regardless of what happens I hope next year is better. If they switch coaches it doesn't matter who stays and who goes on the 11th team in the A10. If he comes back I hope he is better. Just can't see it. His resume is so similar to DH in the AAU turned college coach and played pg in college. Seems cox locked down his AAU and former high school 4x more than Hurley did with NJ but it was to DH benefit that he didn't get 12 NJ guys from his town. He ended up with a stud from MI, NY, CT, MA, MD AND NJ. I don't think getting all the highly rated guys from an area worked so well here the last few years.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

See for me, I would want as much news coverage on this disaster as possible, get all the eye balls on this shitshow.

You have more faith in the non-sports media in Providence and the non-URI “taxpayer” than I do. I’m fearful of some kind of hatchet job wherein the good folks of Rhode Island, most of whom are not well-versed in how college athletics works, are instructed to be scandalized and outraged because their tax dollars are being used to buy out a minority head coach with a winning record and to spend big bucks on his replacement, all while gas prices approach $5 per gallon! I just have zero faith in the media to report basically anything in a way that properly contextualizes and explains the situation.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

El Ahmin shot 42% from 3, his career high.

He lived up to his potential, strictly from a shooting perspective.

The rest of his game was lacking though.

Martin was below 30% from 3, three out of the last four seasons (including this one). He wasn't billed as a top notch shooter.
Martin shot almost 40% from 3 his second year at Charlotte - no one was expecting him to be a deadly shooter, just hit an open 3 pretty consistently (think Lazare), he has not done that (I still really like him as a player and he has a place on a good team with other guys who can shoot).

I had to look up El Amin stats because I didn’t believe it, but you are correct he shot the most underwhelming 42% possibly ever for a starting guard. He was good for maybe 1 shot a game and the game logs prove that (except 1 game against Dukes he went for 21 and a Umass game he had 16).

As I reflect more on this season, it is such a wasted opportunity because we could dominate most league teams down low (and for the most part did) just did not have any consistent perimeter threat. I didn’t see any glaring coaching mistakes last night, the team looked ready to play just the players are not skilled enough shooters.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

10 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

BAIT CUT !
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
Cox gave URI no other choice. Glad it is now done. Time to move on.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I think the overwhelming descriptor for me for this year's team is/was SOFT. From top to bottom, physically and mentally SOFT. That starts and ends with the HC.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Step 1 complete.

Now let’s find a coach who will make us relevant again.
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

It's a sad day, but It's also a time for hope for better times ahead.
5 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago Step 1 complete.

Now let’s find a coach who will make us relevant again.
Instantly exciting. C'mon Thorr!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

whoa! hit it out of the park!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It was inevitable. Time to move on quickly and get back to relevancy.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

And...Rothstein just tweeted “RI has parted ways with David Cox”
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Could be Rothstein as well, but that list sounds right
Ding ding ding ding ding!!! Great call!
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago Who’s next up?
0 x
RamFan89
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RamFan89 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
In some capacity I hate to hit like on this, but I'm so happy it's time for change.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

You have more faith in the non-sports media in Providence and the non-URI “taxpayer” than I do. I’m fearful of some kind of hatchet job wherein the good folks of Rhode Island, most of whom are not well-versed in how college athletics works, are instructed to be scandalized and outraged because their tax dollars are being used to buy out a minority head coach with a winning record and to spend big bucks on his replacement, all while gas prices approach $5 per gallon! I just have zero faith in the media to report basically anything in a way that properly contextualizes and explains the situation.
That's our nightmare scenario. I hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you're right.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sucks that it came to this, but it had to be done. Hopefully Cox is able to get back to a solid assistants job for a bit (assuming thats what he wants). On to bigger and better things.
4 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Now to follow the transfer portal to see who is going to jump ship
2 x