David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by PeteRI »

58-42

63-54
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago 58-42

63-54

Is that your prediction for tomorrow’s loss?

We have 2 D1 teams a hop skip and a jump away who are dancing and we have players at URI who can’t even tuck in their damn shirt during a game! It’s absolutely pathetically embarrassing.

We need a new word besides emBARONsing here because Jimmy B and his stache weren’t even this bad the last few seasons.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Why is there so much immaturity on this board? Negativity is expected, but so much childish stuff lately. You can want Cox to be fired and be an adult at the same time. It can be done. I think it's clearly time for him to go, but I am not going to crap all over him. He did his best.
Someone doing “their best” means getting worse each game? You cannot be serious with this. There’s people who spend a lot of money to support a successful program. To know that people provide such a large investment of time and money to support this program and have players tell the coach to F himself? That’s not doing “his best”.

His best was when he was AHC.
Listen, I have to assume he has worked hard and done his best. But clearly his best hasn't worked. As a fan, you have every right to be pissed off.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Why is there so much immaturity on this board? Negativity is expected, but so much childish stuff lately. You can want Cox to be fired and be an adult at the same time. It can be done. I think it's clearly time for him to go, but I am not going to crap all over him. He did his best.
"Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen." - John Patrick Mason
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

T-minus 5 days and counting.......
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

yeah, no.

When you're the highest paid state employee and you're not elected to the position, the paying customer gets to express their views.

when you're the paying customer and a RI tax payer you get to be childish too.
2 x
:lol:
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I can’t co-sign the “doing his best” thing because as others have pointed out that really isn’t relevant in my opinion. But there is a way to express dissatisfaction, aggravation, disappointment, the overwhelming sense that this is just not good enough, etc., without embarrassing ourselves. As paying customers, invested fans, alumni, people who just like basketball and are tired of the assault on the senses this team has been we are 100% within our rights to complain and demand better from the university but making it personal about Cox is gross. The guy obviously isn’t doing a bad job on purpose (I guess that’s maybe why the “doing his best” was brought up - not as a defense of his performance but an acknowledgment that on a human level he deserves better than some of what sports fanbases can be capable of at their worst).
11 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I can’t co-sign the “doing his best” thing because as others have pointed out that really isn’t relevant in my opinion. But there is a way to express dissatisfaction, aggravation, disappointment, the overwhelming sense that this is just not good enough, etc., without embarrassing ourselves. As paying customers, invested fans, alumni, people who just like basketball and are tired of the assault on the senses this team has been we are 100% within our rights to complain and demand better from the university but making it personal about Cox is gross. The guy obviously isn’t doing a bad job on purpose (I guess that’s maybe why the “doing his best” was brought up - not as a defense of his performance but an acknowledgment that on a human level he deserves better than some of what sports fanbases can be capable of at their worst).
My take would be that before anyone (self included) types anything from behind the safety of his or her keyboard and firewall, ask yourself "would I say this to this person's face in real life?"...helps me anyway...
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago T-minus 5 days and counting.......

With my feet on the trap and my head on the noose got 5 more days to go
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

Fox
Socks
Cox
Sucks

Here's an easy game to play.
Here's an easy thing to say....

New socks.
Cox sucks.
Whose sucks?
Cox sucks.

Who knew Cox sucks?
ECR knew Cox sucks.

Cox you sucks, our game is done, sir.
Thank you for a lot of fun, sir.

Bartender, I'll have one of what he's having.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning
Song lyric posts are extremely weird.

But hey, whatever works for him I guess.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning
Sounds like a good country song.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
It’s a Drake lyric lol.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wouldn’t know Drake if I tripped over him. #yeahi’mold
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Would you guys say that Bobby Hurley, Rick Pitino and Tom Crean did their best yesterday?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Count me in the crowd of folks in that one conference tournament game doesn't mean much, in the grand scheme of a coach's resume. That being said, I do think it's relevant what his *lifetime* record in conference tournament games is, as well as the lifetime conference record. For example, Baron's best conference record was 11-5, he made the A-10 tournament finals once (I believe), and he had several first round flameouts. If there's a longer track record of a coach underachieving in those situations, it suggests to me that he's being outmaneuvered tactically.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I wouldn’t know Drake if I tripped over him. #yeahi’mold
I believe Drake lost in the MVC finals to Loyola. That's the only Drake I know. "I hate the Drake!"
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Would you guys say that Bobby Hurley, Rick Pitino and Tom Crean did their best yesterday?
Yes, but their teams didn't perform at their best.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
It’s a Drake lyric lol.
It was a country song five years before it was a Drake lyric, and I'm sure it was a saying long, long before it was a country song, but like lol
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Who breaks the news? Goodman, Rothstein, Zags or someone local?
2 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The only people dumber than Cox about him and the program are Rhody72 and DC Rams.

All 3 of you can take a goddamn hike.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I want my perfect attendance gift for the year to be a David Cox bobblehead waving goodbye.. can't wait for them to ask for our season ticket money right after this. Response.. who is the head coach and what else are you doing to turn this around.. maybe should become a Bryant fan since they are 5 minutes down the road and building the new arena
Last edited by ram1980 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Announce it tonight please
3 x
Clapton is God
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Dim all the lights, sweet darling,
'Cause tonight it's all the way.
Turn up the old victrola.
Gonna dance the night away.

Love just don't come easy.
No, it seldom does.
When you find the perfect love,
Let it fill you up.

Dim all the lights, sweet darling,
'Cause tonight it's all the way.
Hey, baby. Turn up the old victrola.
Gonna dance the night away.

Love just don't come easy.
No, it seldom does.
When you find the perfect love,
Let it fill you up.

Hey, baby. Dim all the lights, sweet honey,
'Cause tonight it's you and me.
No need to worry, darling,
'Cause it's for eternity.
Amen Brother
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Twitters being refreshed feverishly
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hopefully Thorr meets first thing tomorrow morning with David Cox and tells him that his services are no longer desired, thank him for his years of time at URI, and extend best wishes for his future endeavors. Let him then meet with his players afterward to break the news in person. Distribute the press release in the early afternoon. URI can then start the necessary work to rebuild the program from this mess.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
8 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So is the announcement made tomorrow or Monday? I thought Thorr would wait until the A10 tournament was finished, but UMass getting rid of their coach already gives him cover
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Feel like it has to be tomorrow
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Not having a true PG on this team is a fireable offense - we lost the season in the second half of games where we couldn’t take care of the ball. Thomas is not ready for that role this year - could be in a few years, but a lead guard who can take care of the ball was necessary. El Amin was too similar to Shepherd.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You fire him tonight
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Hopefully Thorr meets first thing tomorrow morning with David Cox and tells him that his services are no longer desired, thank him for his years of service to URI, and extend best wishes for his future endeavors. Let him then meet with his players afterward to break the news. Distribute the press release in the early afternoon. URI can then start the necessary work to rebuild the program from this mess.
Thank him for what?

Absolutely do not thank him. Didn’t do a thing positive here.
3 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago So is the announcement made tomorrow or Monday? I thought Thorr would wait until the A10 tournament was finished, but UMass getting rid of their coach already gives him cover
I am now officially rooting for UMass to win the A10s and go to the tournament - how embarrassing would it be to have to unfire the coach!
8 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Hopefully Thorr meets first thing tomorrow morning with David Cox and tells him that his services are no longer desired, thank him for his years of service to URI, and extend best wishes for his future endeavors. Let him then meet with his players afterward to break the news. Distribute the press release in the early afternoon. URI can then start the necessary work to rebuild the program from this mess.
Thank him for what?
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago So is the announcement made tomorrow or Monday? I thought Thorr would wait until the A10 tournament was finished, but UMass getting rid of their coach already gives him cover
I would normally say Monday, but we've seen other schools not wasting any time with their announcements, so some time in the next couple days wouldn't surprise me anymore.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I see no need to wait. UMass has a guy coaching their games in the A-10 tournament that has already been told he is being let go. St Joe's just announced after their A-10 tournament exit that their coach is returning. Why should it be different for the opposite scenario? Other teams didn't wait. URI owes nothing to the A-10 or its members. It should do what is best for its interests and act quickly. There is no good reason to further delay the inevitable. Cox was given due respect to close things out and the season is now over.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Not having a true PG on this team is a fireable offense - we lost the season in the second half of games where we couldn’t take care of the ball. Thomas is not ready for that role this year - could be in a few years, but a lead guard who can take care of the ball was necessary. El Amin was too similar to Shepherd.
The kid can't score. He is not an A10 PG.
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Every fan in this program wants it done tonight/tomorrow but due to Thorr having class odds on it’s Monday afternoon, and from previous years like the Women’s coach
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So can anyone explain to me why Cox should be…..

Oh.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Count me in the crowd of folks in that one conference tournament game doesn't mean much, in the grand scheme of a coach's resume. That being said, I do think it's relevant what his *lifetime* record in conference tournament games is, as well as the lifetime conference record. For example, Baron's best conference record was 11-5, he made the A-10 tournament finals once (I believe), and he had several first round flameouts. If there's a longer track record of a coach underachieving in those situations, it suggests to me that he's being outmaneuvered tactically.
Cox was only in the champ once and semis twice in 11 years
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Man this presser is super sad. Honestly I wish the guy the best. Didn't work out here, but I hope he lands something where he can have an impact. I've been pretty vocal about wanting this to be over but in no way do I hate the guy. He took his shot and it sucks that it wiffed and that we're at where we're at but it happens. I just want us to move on as soon as possible.
13 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
I am now officially rooting for UMass to win the A10s and go to the tournament - how embarrassing would it be to have to unfire the coach!
Imagine that going from head coach to interim head coach back to head coach. :lol:
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago So can anyone explain to me why Cox should be…..

Oh.
Lock this thread, it's too soon!!

/s
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Count me in the crowd of folks in that one conference tournament game doesn't mean much, in the grand scheme of a coach's resume. That being said, I do think it's relevant what his *lifetime* record in conference tournament games is, as well as the lifetime conference record. For example, Baron's best conference record was 11-5, he made the A-10 tournament finals once (I believe), and he had several first round flameouts. If there's a longer track record of a coach underachieving in those situations, it suggests to me that he's being outmaneuvered tactically.
So Gene Keady won hundreds of games at Purdue but never made the Final Four. He outmaneuvered coaches during the regular season but was tactically outdone in the postseason? Got it. Small snippets of results are greater than larger sample sizes.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Richmond outscored us by a combined 39 points in both second halves this season.

Cox just proving he has no idea what he’s doing after halftime.

Or ever, for that matter.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thank him for what?

Thank him for his time as an assistant
4 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I'm hoping for tomorrow but assuming it'll be Monday.

Our season is over and FORDHAM is still alive. Chew on that.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Thank him for what?

Thank him for his time as an assistant
Yes absolutely.

“Thank you for your time under Dan, now get the hell out.”
3 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
I’m right with you
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

So let's take bets on when it's gonna happen tonight tomorrow Monday after the tournament during the tournament April ...not at all.....??
1 x