Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Dre3000 wrote: 2 years ago One name to keep an eye on is Josh Oppenheimer.
Aside from the fact that he's one of our own, please tell us more
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Lol! Maybe just a little jealous! Stuck Coaching H.S. Basketball for the last 20 something years on the Island. I just think it's a no for Thor. Just giving some insight. I love my Alma Mater and bleed keaney blue. Hell my daughter named one of our Chickens Fatts Russell! Knowing what I know you can't compare him to Danny.

The fact that he hands out offers to every single player he comes across should tell you something about him. It will be interesting where Jared's ceiling is? There is no doubt someone desperate will give him a shot and look the other way for success. Bryant was desperate and it's worked out really well for them let's see if there is any carnage after he leaves. Again he is very ambitious and will do whatever it takes for him to succeed. He cares very little about Bryant the institution.

I should not of said that sorry! I sound bitter again.
Wasn't Grasso's dad a HS coach in NY?

I think the "offer 300 players" strategy isn't the worst idea in the world. If you go to a sneaker circuit AAU tournament this year and ask kids on a 17U roster, I guarantee many if not all have heard of Bryant because of posts on social media thanking god for being blessed to receive an offer from Bryant. 5 years ago, if you asked kids playing 17U at a sneaker event, most wouldn't have even known that Bryant was a school!

Will the strategy be needed here at URI? Probably not. But for a super lower major program that most kids hadn't have heard of, it isn't necessarily the worst idea in the world.
2 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Yes. Fred Grasso. Coached and taught at Jericho H.S. amongst other places. He was close to Rick Pitino and even worked for the Knicks. I think he spent time at Adelphi or what was called C.W. Post back in the day. Very well respected man. Jared has good blood lines.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Fred and Bob Mckillop who was at Long Island Lutheran were good friends and work 5 star together with Coach Pitino. Rollie was the main guy through he brought together a lot of young L.I. guys together when he was at Suny Stony Brook. Division three then.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

I'm not and none of us are taking any of these coaches from the CAA seriously.

We're just shitting on Pat Skerry lol

You and Rhody 15 just love being dickbags when you can

Its also not crazy to say Delwares coach is better if he goes to the tournament in year 5 when Pat Skerry hasn't done so in 11 years

Like it's pretty much a fact.

Towson was emBARONsing and Delware pulled away with their top two scorers on the bench for the entire second half.

But I don't want any of them to be our coach obviously lol

Both teams sure did play a lott better than we do....they have guards who can make jumpshots and bigs that make layups and dunks in the paint.
You're not taking any coach from the CAA seriously? Ever? Why? You realize Mike Brey, Rick Barnes, Lefty Driesell, John Kress, Jay Wright, are all coaches from schools that either competed or currently compete in the CAA?

And just so I'm clear...if Martin Inglesby takes his 5th place team to the NCAA's that means he's a better coach than Pat Skerry? (Even though Towson beat Delaware twice in the regular season and finished the season in 1st place.) Got it. A bad game in the conference tourney and you write a coach off?

Guess URI ought to fire Tammi Reiss too. Get the "Fire Tammi" thread going!

I'll repeat because you didn't read it or hear it the first time..."Please stop with making coaching evaluations based on results of conference tournament games. Thank you."
THE DELAWARE BLUE HENS ARE CAA CHAMPS

MARTIN INGLESBY IS KING
Correction...Delaware is CAA Tourney Champs. Towson is CAA Regular Season Champs. Both schools can raise a banner.

Martin Inglesby is King of Newark, DE today.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I bet this board will start warming up to Grasso once he's linked to UMass...
2 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

My last thing on Coach Grasso. I was so wrong! I can remember after the Bryant game and his name was bounced around in a few threads and I said I would rather have Coach Cox. Cox was this and Cox was that. Jared was this and Jared was that. Enter foot in mouth! Jared is clearly an upgrade and better COACH than Cox. That's it! I hope we get a great hire! 👍
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago My last thing on Coach Grasso. I was so wrong! I can remember after the Bryant game and his name was bounced around in a few threads and I said I would rather have Coach Cox. Cox was this and Cox was that. Jared was this and Jared was that. Enter foot in mouth! Jared is clearly an upgrade and better COACH than Cox. That's it! I hope we get a great hire! 👍
It really is impossible to know what Cox could have been if he started at a lower level like Bryant - Grasso had room to grow into the role, appears to have gotten better as a coach and will likely take that momentum to his next stop. Cox on the other hand, walked into high expectations, didn't meet the mark, trended the wrong way and was not able to right the ship. I still think that Cox can move down a level and become a successful head coach. He just has failed at the on-the-job training. Barring a miracle 5 game win streak, he is gone.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We've trashed golocalprov over the years, saying it's a joke and to not read it, don't give them clicks, etc.

But I bet those same people will read this and agree with it, all because it fits their narrative/opinion on Bryant, Grasso, Kiss.

The article shams Bryant on selling booze, and letting drunk college kids in. (Oh my god the horror.)

Says Kiss was a one year rental. (He wasn't.)

Another joke of an article from that site.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The guy is a DB and shouldn't even be considered. That's for you 15. Grasso seems your type anyway.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
The guy is a DB and shouldn't even be considered. That's for you 15. Grasso seems your type anyway.
Was Hurley a dbag too? They have the SAME sideline antics.

Lol yea I'm the dbag.

You've called covid a hoax for two years, only want HOF type coaches, and nothing is ever good enough for you here.

Just choosing to be miserable about everything.

If you think this is a well written piece, can't help ya there.
0 x
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I'm certainly not a fan or reader or golocal prov, and that was actually forwarded to me. I don't even know who wrote it, I was just pointing out someone's perspective of Grasso, though it's probably as valuable as a post on this board
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Lol yea I'm the dbag.

You've called covid a hoax for two years, only want HOF type coaches, and nothing is ever good enough for you here.

Like I said you need glasses. Or your reading comprehension is third grade level. Did I call you a DB? No, I didn't. I read the article and agreed with it. You do this all the time. You read a post and jump on your own misinterpretation. It's quite comical.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I'm certainly not a fan or reader or golocal prov, and that was actually forwarded to me. I don't even know who wrote it, I was just pointing out someone's perspective of Grasso, though it's probably as valuable as a post on this board
Absolutely. My post wasn't directed towards you at all.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lol yea I'm the dbag.

Like I said you need glasses. Or your reading comprehension is third grade level. Did I call you a DB? No, I didn't. I read the article and agreed with it. You do this all the time. You read a post and jump on your own misinterpretation. It's quite comical.
hahahaha yea reading comprehension. There it is again. One idiot on this board says it once, then everyone pounces on it. It's great.

You called Grasso a dbag, then said "Grasso seems your type anyway." Since you think he's a dbag, and then think he's my type, you are inferring I like dbags/am a dbag. Pretty easy to follow.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Lol yea I'm the dbag.

Too busy trying to be a hardo with his replies that he ends up not even properly replying to the post, then can't figure out why people knock his reading comprehension.

Like a puppy that gets too excited and just ends up pissing all over the carpet
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Lol yea I'm the dbag.

hahahaha yea reading comprehension. There it is again. One idiot on this board says it once, then everyone pounces on it. It's great.

You called Grasso a dbag, then said "Grasso seems your type anyway." Since you think he's a dbag, and then think he's my type, you are inferring I like dbags/am a dbag. Pretty easy to follow.
I actually think he was implying you are a DB, which you inferred from his comment…
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There is no comparison between Grasso and Hurley...why because they are both intense and loud on the sidelines? That's where the comparison ends.

That article is dumb and a stretch but there is a thuggish vibe that Grasso, Kiss and that team gave off this year. It's not a coincidence that they had another incident this year that resulted in widespread suspensions, etc. A team is a reflection of the coach and what he allows so I deduce some of that comes from Grasso.

That isn't Dan. Grasso gives me major Tony Bergeron vibes. Actually I joke that he is the child of Derek Kellogg and Tony B bc he has some of them both in his brand.
8 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

I actually think he was implying you are a DB, which you inferred from his comment…
WRONG. I was typing my response to Gio's post when 15 interjected. I had already started typing that Grasso is a DB. Then 15 throws out his thoughts. Grasso is a DB. Reminds me of that former coach of Umass. My response to 15 was based on his post that everyone would jump on the article.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Once you get past the splash/name guys: Millers, Mack, Turg, Crean, Marshall, it's like splitting hairs with the others.
Who even knows what coaches are on Thorr's short list?

We all have our favorites, and you could probably make a good case for many of them.
So, without us actually being involved in the interview process, we have to trust Thorr's opinion.

My only strong feeling is please no to Skerry.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Not sure where this fits, but local Patch had a piece naming Kingston in the top 10 of best places for college basketball, criteria based on great long tradition, great college area, and no pro team near by……and ticket prices, fan engagement, population, and HOF coaches……PC was 45
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Once you get past the splash/name guys: Millers, Mack, Turg, Crean, Marshall, it's like splitting hairs with the others.

We all have our favorites, and you could probably make a good case for many of them.
So, without us actually being involved in the interview process, we have to trust Thorr's opinion.

Outside of that list I like Kimani and Becker

And then I don't think there's anyone else I like
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

WRONG. I was typing my response to Gio's post when 15 interjected. I had already started typing that Grasso is a DB. Then 15 throws out his thoughts. Grasso is a DB. Reminds me of that former coach of Umass. My response to 15 was based on his post that everyone would jump on the article.
Grasso looks like he smells like a meatball
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Once you get past the splash/name guys: Millers, Mack, Turg, Crean, Marshall, it's like splitting hairs with the others.

Or Grasso
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Honestly, I will make my decision to continue being a season tix holder based on the hire. It really doesn't matter to me, but it matters to the school.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

100% true Jersey.

I’d assume Thorr wants program builders and guys that win. Grasso has done that. Langel has done that. Becker has done that. We have no idea if any of them can do it at the next level.

Please get one of the splash hires that we know can Thorr!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big game for Langel and Colgate tonight for his stock
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Brian Forster wrote: 2 years ago i like the boards ideas.
What about the coach at Bellarmine?
His current team is out of the tourney for x# of years! Who wants that kind of baggage?!?!?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Maybe I haven't had enough beers yet, but Grasso has two plusses...someone slick, that won't take bs from players.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Big game for Langel and Colgate tonight for his stock
Would like to see him win.

He is a damn good coach and will probably get some nice offers soon.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Man his teams play beautiful basketball
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Man his teams play beautiful basketball
I hope Thorr has him on his radar.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Bellarmine basketball move to D1 from D2 I believe last year and there is a 5 year waiting period before a team can go to the NCAA tournament
NCAA Rule.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Colgate wins , I also hope he’s on the short list
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
I’ve just heard there is mutual interest with Oppenheimer and Hurley as well (despite what their AD said, I don’t believe there’s been any extension talk). Can’t say how accurate it is but that’s what I’ve heard from multiple people in the past few days.

Hurley is somewhat surprising and I honestly don’t know much about Oppenheimer as a coach.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Dre3000 wrote: 2 years ago
I’ve just heard there is mutual interest with Oppenheimer and Hurley as well (despite what their AD said, I don’t believe there’s been any extension talk). Can’t say how accurate it is but that’s what I’ve heard from multiple people in the past few days.

Hurley is somewhat surprising and I honestly don’t know much about Oppenheimer as a coach.
Oppenheimer is an interesting name to come up. I admit I don't know much about him so was just reading a few things. I guess they call him the "Shot Doctor" and he was credited with helping out Giannis a lot his rookie year. He's been around in the college ranks to so there is some experience there, but mostly NBA experience recently. Definitely more intriguing than someone like Skerry in my opinion.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s a pass for me on Josh only been an assistant at all his stops
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Do I need a Bobby Hurley conspiracy thread now? Living for this shit hahaha
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago

No, Bobby isn't going anywhere.
His contract extension runs through June 2024.
The AD already gave him a vote of confidence for next season.
2022-2023 will probably be make or break for him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago

No, Bobby isn't going anywhere.
His contract extension runs through June 2024.
The AD already gave him a vote of confidence for next season.
2022-2023 will probably be make or break for him.

I don’t see him going anywhere either, but we all know votes of confidence mean absolutely nothing.

There’s been a ton of votes of confidence in all sports, only for the coach to be fired soon thereafter.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago There is no comparison between Grasso and Hurley...why because they are both intense and loud on the sidelines? That's where the comparison ends.

That article is dumb and a stretch but there is a thuggish vibe that Grasso, Kiss and that team gave off this year. It's not a coincidence that they had another incident this year that resulted in widespread suspensions, etc. A team is a reflection of the coach and what he allows so I deduce some of that comes from Grasso.

That isn't Dan. Grasso gives me major Tony Bergeron vibes. Actually I joke that he is the child of Derek Kellogg and Tony B bc he has some of them both in his brand.
100%

I hate the golocal article because of the pearl clutching. College kids like to drink. They make dumb decisions. But that tends to translate into a home court advantage.

If those same people ever went to a legitimate college basketball game in march, they would faint. Might be ugly, but it's the reality and frankly a problem you would love to have. Too many people being too loud and rowdy? Oh no! Not in an arena! For shame!

But the Grasso/Hurley comparisons need to stop. Just because someone is demonstrative on the sidelines doesn't tell you their whole makeup.

The Bryant style is a schtick. It works at a lower level where a good salesman (Grasso) can overrecruit for his conference, and get kids who will dominate no matter the system they run.

That won't go as far in the A-10.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not being able differentiate between Grasso and Dan is as sure a sign of bottom-scraping social IQ as I can imagine.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago There you go Northern Ram! Chris Caputo is actually a Long Island guy and played for Legendary Coach Jack Curran at Archbishop Molloy. Same school Kenny Anderson came from. Very well respected assistant who has brought some New York City kids to the U. Chris is a guy who will get a shot soon. Not sure if he's our guy or he fits what we currently need. We would have to swing and miss a few times for us to get to him. Chris would seem to fit the Thor type of hire.
He was actually raise just outside of Springfield and don’t think he’s a candidate that the school would have to swing and miss before; outside of the beach he’s the reason Larranaga continues to get DUDES.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Not being able differentiate between Grasso and Dan is as sure a sign of bottom-scraping social IQ as I can imagine.
Nobody is comparing their coaching ability.

You are allowed to compare strictly their sideline demeanor, because they are similar in that regard.

Loud, obnoxious, over the top, annoying, intense, etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Sorry Northern Ram. Chris grew up in Elmhurst about two blocks from Christ the King High School. He is New York all the way. Again he played for Jack Curran who also coached Jim Larranaga at Molloy. He then went to Westfield State but he is all New York. Jack Curran hooked him up with Coach L. at Mason and he basically volunteered his first few years. He is a super basketball mind and can recruit well. I think Buffalo looked at him a bit after Nate left? Listen to him talk and you can tell where he is from. LOL
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Not being able differentiate between Grasso and Dan is as sure a sign of bottom-scraping social IQ as I can imagine.

You are allowed to compare strictly their sideline demeanor, because they are similar in that regard.

I’ve never seen Danny quit on his team or stop coaching and pout.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

I’ve never seen Danny quit on his team or stop coaching and pout.
Never said their sidelines antics are exactly, 100% the same.

But there are multiple similarities, there's no denying that.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRamFan69 »

Does anyone think we have a shot at landing Tom Crean? I think URI would be a good fit, his teams play tough D and like to run out on offense. Last time I check we invented the fast break!!! Maybe wishful thinking but I don't think URI would be beneath him
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone think we have a shot at landing Tom Crean? I think URI would be a good fit, his teams play tough D and like to run out on offense. Last time I check we invented the fast break!!! Maybe wishful thinking but I don't think URI would be beneath him
Its all about the Benjamin's.
0 x
GO RAMS