Do you want URI to win today?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 53

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Personally I will always root for URI to win any time they are doing anything. But, I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a part of me that also just can’t wait for this to be over.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Do you URI to win today?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Personally I will always root for URI to win any time they are doing anything. But, I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a part of me that also just can’t wait for this to be over.
This is exactly where I'm at. Might as well beat Duquesne, they'll be bounced soon enough
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Unless they don't show up. They win.
2 x
GO RAMS
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

We've waited 4 years, what's another day gonna matter. Its been much to long of a time where we've had any topics of optimism where we can be actual fans again. I'm anxiously looking forward to watching, following and caring about URI basketball again, which I know for sure I will regardless of who the new coach is.
Last edited by Shinze88 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It doesn't really matter to me. This game has zero meaning. A win would merely grant a one day stay of execution, nothing more.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Sure, why not? One last hurrah.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I haven’t cared less about a conference tournament game arguably ever. But yes I always want URI to win. It’s physical impossible for me to watch them and not root for them
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

End the misery.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

put the nail in the coffin
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Always want URI to win, just can't bring myself to ever actually root for a loss.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Always. Also while it's a newish format this is Rhody's first time in the play in game. We need to make sure it's also our last.

#NoGrasso #NoMason #NoSkerry
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

It has gotten so that right now, today don’t care….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Do you want URI to win today?

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I didn't even know they were playing today. I don't care what the outcome is, but wouldn't be disappointed by a loss. We MUST get a new coach.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

I'm like ATP. Driving to work and heard them mention the game on the radio in sports. Was like "oh yeah thats today" Sad that I've fallen to this level with them. I'll hope they win but will move forward without being upset about a loss. Time to turn the page on this season and head coach.
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'll be rooting for a win but whatever the outcome is, it won't faze me.
2 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Yeah I would like to see them at least finish with the winning record ....1 game above 500 Is certainly better than 1 game below 500 or even record
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Of course I want them to win and I want them to win the A 10 tournament too . Why not .Is there anyone who doesn't want that ? It would take
a miracle , but i will still root for that miracle until they win or are eliminated from the field.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I’m hoping for a miracle A10 tourney championship. Only because I want to fly out to wherever their NCAA tourney first round game is and drink beers with a bunch of Rhody fans.

I know bigappleram would join me!
5 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Hoping for a win by less than 10 points.
😀
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Will take a loss though.
😁
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Always hoping for a win.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Well I am pleasantly surprised. As you can see, I'm a newby poster. However I have been a very active reader from the beginning, going waaay back to the projo boards, etc.. And after reading so many posts that talk about not being able to support the program or attend games if Cox isn't replaced, or this and that. It makes many posters sound like they are fair weather fans, looking for a band wagon to jump on. I have to say that those comments turn me off. So it is nice to see how many posters still want a victory, rather than the probable early exit for Cox. My faith is restored! Go Rhody!
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

If a win today impacted the coach situation, I would have voted no, but it doesn’t. Might as well end up on a good note.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

luke wrote: 2 years ago Is there anyone who doesn't want that ?
That’s what I was trying to find out.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm with Roady Jay on this.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

class of 86 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah I would like to see them at least finish with the winning record ....1 game above 500 Is certainly better than 1 game below 500 or even record
At 14-15 (counting a victory over a non D1 AIC), URI needs three more wins to have a winning record and two wins for .500. Neither is very likely.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see merit to both sides I voted yes but I have no issues with people who voted no
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I feel very strongly both ways.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who are we playing?...
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The fact that this question can be asked says it all…
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RJRam wrote: 2 years ago Well I am pleasantly surprised. As you can see, I'm a newby poster. However I have been a very active reader from the beginning, going waaay back to the projo boards, etc.. And after reading so many posts that talk about not being able to support the program or attend games if Cox isn't replaced, or this and that. It makes many posters sound like they are fair weather fans, looking for a band wagon to jump on. I have to say that those comments turn me off. So it is nice to see how many posters still want a victory, rather than the probable early exit for Cox. My faith is restored! Go Rhody!
Usually when questions go out like this the result is often more positive than expected. I’m surprised 28% actually want URI to lose tonight. Very high.

I can’t ever find myself to want URI to lose in any game, and sport, ever.

I actually see positives in getting the Wednesday game. Play well, win, build momentum, then take care of round 2. No dominant team in the A10 this year. We get a warm up game! Then beat Richmond, then Quarterfinals!!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago The fact that this question can be asked says it all…
28% from a teams message board supporters hoping their team loses in the Conference Tournament says more than just asking the question. Wow.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How many out of 100 posters want a coaching change that’s a better poll !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

28% not happy we won
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I forgot they were playing and saw that they were up 4 late in the second half.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago How many out of 100 posters want a coaching change that’s a better poll !!
Doubt that would be very interesting. Looking at probably 95% or more I’d think.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I will always root for them to win. In this case, it's a good consolation in that the sooner they lose the sooner we can move on. But of course I will root for them to win. It's sort of the same thing when you are in line for that # 1 draft pick. You never really want to root against your team, but the loss brings you closer to the #1 pick.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That’s why I’m so surprised 28% are wanting URI to lose. Never would have thought that many.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m honestly not surprised considering the mood around here over the last month or two. But I was curious, and I guess a little relieved that it was “only” about a quarter of fans.

In the case of tanking I can see rooting for your team to lose because there actually is a tangible benefit to losing. In our case, there is no benefit except the psychological relief of turning the page.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Very strange than fans want their own team to lose. Never see that before.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I’m honestly not surprised considering the mood around here over the last month or two. But I was curious, and I guess a little relieved that it was “only” about a quarter of fans.

In the case of tanking I can see rooting for your team to lose because there actually is a tangible benefit to losing. In our case, there is no benefit except the psychological relief of turning the page.
You thought the percent would be higher?
28% wanting their team to lose is absurd
I simply can’t fathom that more than 1 in every 4 posters is actually sitting there during a game hoping our players miss shots and get the ball stolen. I know there are extremely negative posters here but didn’t think it was that bad that so many would want their school to lose. No care who wins or loses - I can get, but root against? Yikes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago Very strange than fans want their own team to lose. Never see that before.
I’ve never seen it and even more strange is the number hoping we lose.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I’ll bite. I want the misery to end. I want to care about basketball again. I don’t want to have to buy in and get my heart and dick smashed simultaneously.

I’ve been emotionally disconnected from the pain and frustration so many on here have felt this season. It’s been kind of wonderful even though I’m totally dead inside.

My biggest fear is a run to the final. Because then I’ll get my hopes up. A loss there might actually end my life.

So out of great fear for that moment, I want the inevitable season ending loss to happen, and we can get closer to shutting the book on one of the most disappointing, frustrating, and flat out miserable periods in this programs history.

I’m not rooting for an L as much as I am rooting for a quicker and less painful death.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Don’t worry the inevitable is right around the corner most likely tomorrow against a veteran team
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I was rooting for Rhody, I could not imagine rooting against my team. However,

I found myself half rooting for Duquesne’s last 3 point shot to go in for the win.

I was thinking that Rhody had a 7 point lead with 31 seconds to go and if they lost by a half court shot at the buzzer , it would be the perfect capstone for this season.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The more I think about it, it's maybe because a loss yesterday wouldn't have hurt. It would've been irrelevant, like this season.

I sort of feel the same for today's game. Loss would be expected, and then we could end the season on a whimper - which is expected and frankly deserved.

But if we win today? Well that changes everything. Tomorrow there's all of a sudden hope. We've done something unexpected. We're playing a team who's number we've historically had....all of a sudden hope starts to reappear and that's where the real pain starts.

I haven't cared all year. It would be emotional carnage to have to get up for one game this year and have that cut you down.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL