Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

*IF THEY KEEP THIS UP*
How many minds does Grasso change after tonight? I don’t get why so many folks immediately write him off (after the obvious home run candidates like Archie). NCAA tournament experience seems to be everyone’s bar and he’ll have it now.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago *IF THEY KEEP THIS UP*
How many minds does Grasso change after tonight? I don’t get why so many folks immediately write him off (after the obvious home run candidates like Archie). NCAA tournament experience seems to be everyone’s bar and he’ll have it now.
It just may Big Rhody Guy as Bryant is winning 36-6
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Grasso’s stock about to rise if Bryant keeps this up. Keep in mind that Grasso inherited a 3-28 team and has them on the verge of dancing in year 4.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

bring Grasso on and Kiss as a Grad Student
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do we want Jared Grasso as our head coach or pass ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Kiss has an attitude for sure.....but he's REALLY good......
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Hard pass for me. Something about the used car salesman look I just don’t like. I may be wrong but no thanks
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Do we want Jared Grasso as our head coach or pass ??
Love what he has done at Bryant, pass. We have got to do better.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He's better than Cox though.....actually who isn't?

Has a ton of fire...again just the opposite of DC.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago Hard pass for me. Something about the used car salesman look I just don’t like. I may be wrong but no thanks
If he came here, you would have a used car salesman, taking over a jalopy….
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago Hard pass for me. Something about the used car salesman look I just don’t like. I may be wrong but no thanks
I mean...Harrick...just sayin'... :lol:
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I love the way this Bryant team plays. They look better as the year goes on. Sign of strong coaching…If Grasso can get talent like Kiss and Pride what will he get at URI? I hope we can do better but if we are going to take someone from a low major he’d be high on my list.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago bring Grasso on and Kiss as a Grad Student
Kiss played college basketball at the same time as Hassan Martin did.
5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Love what he has done at Bryant, pass. We have got to do better.
Kind of my mindset as well. If we're going with a coach from a lower conference, I want a couple years of success, and especially OOC success. Again, I think it's tougher to build and maintain a program, vs. going from single digit wins to above .500. When a team sucks, you're not going to get any crap for turning over the entire roster, and just by default, you're probably going to improve. Grasso went 6-7 OOC this year, 5-3 the previous year. He's had two winning seasons out of four so far. I'd want another year or two - at least - of him repeating this success at Bryant before I'd put him ahead of someone with a longer and more impressive record.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
If he plays next season it will 7th year in school, but I think he still has 1 year of eligibility left.
2016-17- Quinnipac
2017-18- Rutgers/transfer sat out.
2018-19- Rutgers
2019-20- Rutgers only played 2 games, med RS
2020-21 Bryant Covid season doesn't count
2021 -22- Bryant
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago *IF THEY KEEP THIS UP*
The same reason why I wasn't interested in Cluess. He plays a garbage system that works at lower levels but gets annihilated at higher levels
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The coach needs to be able to bring in the Grad Students (like PC and URI Women) the young recruits are what everyone talks about but its the Grad Students that win the games
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hard pass
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Kiss is listed as a Senior
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago He's better than Cox though.....actually who isn't?

Has a ton of fire...again just the opposite of DC.
So he's a massive frontrunner. He looked like a puppy that had his nose rubbed into a mess on the carpet when we whopped their ass earlier this season. Where was the fire then?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago
I didn't doubt you, but had to look it up because that makes zero sense, and sure enough it's true and is absolutely wild. A guy that age, who has spent that much time in a college basketball setting, who spent time in the Big Ten should be destroying the NEC
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Hurley and Grasso's resumes are very comparable from their NEC days/around the time URI would be considering either. Somewhat surprised how dismissive people are of Grasso despite a very solid turnaround of Bryant.

Hurley
Inherited 5-26 (3-15)
Wagner 13-17 (9-9)
Wagner 25-6 (15-3) L NEC Semifinals

Grasso
Inherited 3-28 (2-16)
Bryant 10-20 (7-11)
Bryant 15-17 (7-11)
Bryant 15-7 (10-4) L NEC Championship (Abbreviated Tournament due to Covid)
Bryant 21-9 (16-2) NEC Champions
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Head Coach

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Finding the proper coach will likely not be an easy process as there does not appear to be many obvious choices and the pool of experienced candidates may be thin this year.

URI has had ten coaches since the late 70's when I began to follow the program. Five of them were previous head coaches and all of these led URI to the postseason with all but Baron making the NCAA. Five assistant coaches were hired by Rhody in this period with all but one (Malone) already on the staff. Only one (Skinner) of these really had much success at URI with multiple NIT and NCAA bids.

Kraft (Villanova HC) | 1973-80 | Record 103-88 | Highlights 1978 NCAA bid & 1979 NIT bid
English (URI AC) | 1980-84 | Record 45-66 | Highlights 1981 NIT bid
Malone (Syracuse AC) | 1984-86 | Record 17-39 |
Penders (Fordham HC) |1986-88 | Record 48-17 | Highlights 1988 NCAA Sweet-16 & 1987 NIT bid
Skinner (URI AC) | 1988-97 | Record 138-126 | Highlights 1993 NCAA 2nd round & 1997 NCAA bid / 1992 & 1996 NIT third round
Harrick (UCLA HC) | 1997-99 | Record 45-22 | Highlights 1998 NCAA Elite-8 & 1999 NCAA bid
DeGregorio (URI AC) | 1999-01 | Record 12-48 |
Baron (SBU HC) | 2001-12 | Record 184-166 | 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, and 2010 NIT bids with six tourney wins
Hurley (Wagner HC) | 2012-18 | Record 91-76 | 2017 & 2018 NCAA 2nd Round / 2015 NIT 2nd round
Cox (URI AC) | 2018-present | Record 62-51 to date| best season in 2020 was cut short by COVID with final record of 21-9

The history of hired coaches over the last five decades in Kingston seems to indicate that URI typically needs an experienced head coach in order to have much success. Assistant coaches other than Skinner do not seem to have worked out. All the former head coaches however had some level of success. Three (Penders/Baron/Hurley) of these came from lower level programs while two (Kraft/Harrick) were rehabs from higher level programs out to redeem their reputations.

If URI wants a better probability for success again, it would seem hiring a former head coach is the route to go. The school has typically hired primarily northeast (Bos-Wash corridor) experienced coaches. Harrick was the only one of the last ten coaches from outside this region. Given that URI would be better served to hire a head coach and its past hiring track record seems northeast focused, who then would be the candidates? It appears to me that the northeast region has few sure-fire up and coming coaches this season. Hiring the right new coach in 2022 will not be an easy task.

Posted this earlier in the thread. It shows the hiring record of URI over the last five decades. Note the performance difference between coaches that came here with experience versus those that came directly from assistant positions.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Matt Langel or Jared Grasso, who ya got?

(Just throwing out two potential low major head coaches, please don’t flip out saying “we need to do better”)
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 2 years ago Kiss is listed as a Senior
Well yeah, he's on the Tommy Callahan college plan, I'd think he would academically be considered a senior at this point
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Langel
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Matt Langel or Jared Grasso, who ya got?

(Just throwing out two potential low major head coaches, please don’t flip out saying “we need to do better”)
Langel
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 2 years ago Hurley and Grasso's resumes are very comparable from their NEC days/around the time URI would be considering either. Somewhat surprised how dismissive people are of Grasso despite a very solid turnaround of Bryant.

Hurley
Inherited 5-26 (3-15)
Wagner 13-17 (9-9)

Grasso
Inherited 3-28 (2-16)
Bryant 10-20 (7-11)
Bryant 15-17 (7-11)
Watch the way their teams played. Hurley's played all out all the time, with full defensive effort. Grasso's teams chuck and duck on offense, and don't play defense if the shots aren't falling. Grasso's teams might be prettier to watch when the shots are falling, but game in and game out I'll take the hard nosed intensity, constant defense, Hurley style every time
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rjv wrote: 2 years ago The coach needs to be able to bring in the Grad Students (like PC and URI Women) the young recruits are what everyone talks about but its the Grad Students that win the games

How many of the All A10 teams were grad transfers or transfers in general… 1? Camara? Attracting and developing 4 year players is still necessary for a strong mid major program.

I think Grasso would recruit well to Rhody just aren’t sold on his coaching philosophy / style. He’d be a not yet/pass for me.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Kiss has an attitude for sure.....but he's REALLY good......
He's such a d*ck but I can't help but respect it.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can’t wait to see Thorrs short list !!
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Kiss has an attitude for sure.....but he's REALLY good......
Kiss walks the talk.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Hurley and Grasso's resumes are very comparable from their NEC days/around the time URI would be considering either. Somewhat surprised how dismissive people are of Grasso despite a very solid turnaround of Bryant.

Hurley
Inherited 5-26 (3-15)
Wagner 13-17 (9-9)

Grasso
Inherited 3-28 (2-16)
Bryant 10-20 (7-11)
Bryant 15-17 (7-11)
Watch the way their teams played. Hurley's played all out all the time, with full defensive effort. Grasso's teams chuck and duck on offense, and don't play defense if the shots aren't falling. Grasso's teams might be prettier to watch when the shots are falling, but game in and game out I'll take the hard nosed intensity, constant defense, Hurley style every time

The 2X and current DPOY in the NEC is currently 0-15, and Wagner has 29 points with 6 minutes remaining.

I’d say that’s pretty good defense.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

As a Peter I accept him
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Please stop with making coaching evaluations based on results of conference tournament games. Thank you.
I'm not and none of us are taking any of these coaches from the CAA seriously.

We're just shitting on Pat Skerry lol

You and Rhody 15 just love being dickbags when you can

Its also not crazy to say Delwares coach is better if he goes to the tournament in year 5 when Pat Skerry hasn't done so in 11 years

Like it's pretty much a fact.

Towson was emBARONsing and Delware pulled away with their top two scorers on the bench for the entire second half.

But I don't want any of them to be our coach obviously lol

Both teams sure did play a lott better than we do....they have guards who can make jumpshots and bigs that make layups and dunks in the paint.
You're not taking any coach from the CAA seriously? Ever? Why? You realize Mike Brey, Rick Barnes, Lefty Driesell, John Kress, Jay Wright, are all coaches from schools that either competed or currently compete in the CAA?

And just so I'm clear...if Martin Inglesby takes his 5th place team to the NCAA's that means he's a better coach than Pat Skerry? (Even though Towson beat Delaware twice in the regular season and finished the season in 1st place.) Got it. A bad game in the conference tourney and you write a coach off?

Guess URI ought to fire Tammi Reiss too. Get the "Fire Tammi" thread going!

I'll repeat because you didn't read it or hear it the first time..."Please stop with making coaching evaluations based on results of conference tournament games. Thank you."
THE DELAWARE BLUE HENS ARE CAA CHAMPS

MARTIN INGLESBY IS KING
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

STC wrote: 2 years ago Hurley and Grasso's resumes are comparable from their NEC days/around the time URI would be considering either. Somewhat surprised how dismissive people are of Grasso despite a very solid turnaround of Bryant.

Hurley
Inherited 5-26 (3-15)
Wagner 13-17 (9-9)

Grasso
Inherited 3-28 (2-16)
Bryant 10-20 (7-11)
Bryant 15-17 (7-11)
Thank you… I mentioned that I liked Grasso last season, and people acted like I was nuts on here. Some of our fans forget that we play in the A10 and not the ACC. I do think Grasso will succeed at a better program. I worry that he’s not ready yet, but sometimes you need to take a risk.

Once Cox is fired, we will have a better idea
of who our real targets are. Grasso will be a part of that list but let’s see if we can pull off a splash hire…
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I would be surprised if Thor even sniffed Jared Grasso. I have stated in previous text when Jared's name first came up what I think of him. He is who he is. Smug, arrogant, self-centered car salesmen who is a great motivator and can coach basketball. There is no real substance or integrity. He has his band of minons who stroke him daily and fill his head. He sells this street smart slick new york image? He grew up in Syosett for crying out loud and played with a silver spoon at St. Anthony's because he couldn't get into Chaminade. Tommy Pecora gave him a shot and he was really ambitious and worked. Then Long Island, High School Coaching Legend, Tim Cluess gets this shot at Iona and needs a used car salesmen to get him players. Enter Jared. Many of these players were on there last chance etc... They got players who were above the conference in talent and played a loose style. They won a lot of game. Jared has done a great job at Bryant but I think Thor goes the way of Dan and Tammi with this hire. Substance, work ethic, integrity, real pedigree as oppose to a self promoter. I have had interactions with Jared and I know many who know him better than I do. You either like him or you can't fu----g stand him. As a fellow Long Islander I am proud of his success and it is well earned but I can't see Thor and knowing his make-up hiring a guy like Coach Grasso. Just my opinion and some insight.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago I would be surprised if Thor even sniffed Jared Grasso. I have stated in previous text when Jared's name first came up what I think of him. He is who he is. Smug, arrogant, self-centered car salesmen who is a great motivator and can coach basketball. There is no real substance or integrity. He has his band of minons who stroke him daily and fill his head. He sells this street smart slick new york image? He grew up in Syosett for crying out loud and played with a silver spoon at St. Anthony's because he couldn't get into Chaminade. Tommy Pecora gave him a shot and he was really ambitious and worked. Then Long Island, High School Coaching Legend, Tim Cluess gets this shot at Iona and needs a used car salesmen to get him players. Enter Jared. Many of these players were on there last chance etc... They got players who were above the conference in talent and played a loose style. They won a lot of game. Jared has done a great job at Bryant but I think Thor goes the way of Dan and Tammi with this hire. Substance, work ethic, integrity, real pedigree as oppose to a self promoter. I have had interactions with Jared and I know many who know him better than I do. You either like him or you can't fu----g stand him. As a fellow Long Islander I am proud of his success and it is well earned but I can't see Thor and knowing his make-up hiring a guy like Coach Grasso. Just my opinion and some insight.

…did he steal your girlfriend? Wife? Second wife?

ZERO integrity issues with Grasso from afar, hasn’t been in trouble once.

Grasso and Hurley’s sideline antics are identical.

Grasso is a tireless worker and promoter of his school/name as he “offered” hundreds of kids on the first day contact was allowed with hs kids.

He just brought a 3-28 program to a regular season/conference champ and NCAA team in 4 years. That’s substance, along with more hard work.

Not saying he should be the leading candidate, but should at least be on the short list.
3 x
Go Rhody
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

One name to keep an eye on is Josh Oppenheimer.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Lol! Maybe just a little jealous! Stuck Coaching H.S. Basketball for the last 20 something years on the Island. I just think it's a no for Thor. Just giving some insight. I love my Alma Mater and bleed keaney blue. Hell my daughter named one of our Chickens Fatts Russell! Knowing what I know you can't compare him to Danny.

The fact that he hands out offers to every single player he comes across should tell you something about him. It will be interesting where Jared's ceiling is? There is no doubt someone desperate will give him a shot and look the other way for success. Bryant was desperate and it's worked out really well for them let's see if there is any carnage after he leaves. Again he is very ambitious and will do whatever it takes for him to succeed. He cares very little about Bryant the institution.

I should not of said that sorry! I sound bitter again.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Sooo here’s a name that seems to be circling, Chris Caputo. Currently serving as the Associated HC at Miami under Larranaga. He is a native of Western MA and has been one of the shining stars in assistant coaching pools.
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

There you go Northern Ram! Chris Caputo is actually a Long Island guy and played for Legendary Coach Jack Curran at Archbishop Molloy. Same school Kenny Anderson came from. Very well respected assistant who has brought some New York City kids to the U. Chris is a guy who will get a shot soon. Not sure if he's our guy or he fits what we currently need. We would have to swing and miss a few times for us to get to him. Chris would seem to fit the Thor type of hire.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Lol! Maybe just a little jealous! Stuck Coaching H.S. Basketball for the last 20 something years on the Island. I just think it's a no for Thor. Just giving some insight. I love my Alma Mater and bleed keaney blue. Hell my daughter named one of our Chickens Fatts Russell! Knowing what I know you can't compare him to Danny.

The fact that he hands out offers to every single player he comes across should tell you something about him. It will be interesting where Jared's ceiling is? There is no doubt someone desperate will give him a shot and look the other way for success. Bryant was desperate and it's worked out really well for them let's see if there is any carnage after he leaves. Again he is very ambitious and will do whatever it takes for him to succeed. He cares very little about Bryant the institution.

I should not of said that sorry! I sound bitter again.
I hope your right I think we can do better than Grasso , he may get hired into a better conference but I don’t think it will be uri
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

All of us can agree we can and should do better than Grasso but I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s on Thor’s list and I would put him in the worst case scenario hire (which I don’t think will happen)
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
As a Peter I accept him

Hahahahahhahahaah!

There’s so many things going on with all of this
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I guess Bashir Mason is off our list. He couldn't get his team ready for a big game against a team he had already beaten. He comes out wearing the wrong color jersey of an injured player. What kind of message is that to his team? "Here's our excuse for not showing up!" URI will be playing games in N Smithfield soon. Chase Ctr reminded me of games in Keaney sitting on the Stage. Love the passion.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago All of us can agree we can and should do better than Grasso but I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s on Thor’s list and I would put him in the worst case scenario hire (which I don’t think will happen)
He is a better fit in the MAAC conference, metro nyc region, for his next moves, liked how the TV(Tim)guys referred to his 20 defenses……I am guessing some of those are “junk”
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago I would be surprised if Thor even sniffed Jared Grasso. I have stated in previous text when Jared's name first came up what I think of him. He is who he is. Smug, arrogant, self-centered car salesmen who is a great motivator and can coach basketball. There is no real substance or integrity. He has his band of minons who stroke him daily and fill his head. He sells this street smart slick new york image? He grew up in Syosett for crying out loud and played with a silver spoon at St. Anthony's because he couldn't get into Chaminade. Tommy Pecora gave him a shot and he was really ambitious and worked. Then Long Island, High School Coaching Legend, Tim Cluess gets this shot at Iona and needs a used car salesmen to get him players. Enter Jared. Many of these players were on there last chance etc... They got players who were above the conference in talent and played a loose style. They won a lot of game. Jared has done a great job at Bryant but I think Thor goes the way of Dan and Tammi with this hire. Substance, work ethic, integrity, real pedigree as oppose to a self promoter. I have had interactions with Jared and I know many who know him better than I do. You either like him or you can't fu----g stand him. As a fellow Long Islander I am proud of his success and it is well earned but I can't see Thor and knowing his make-up hiring a guy like Coach Grasso. Just my opinion and some insight.

…did he steal your girlfriend? Wife? Second wife?

ZERO integrity issues with Grasso from afar, hasn’t been in trouble once.

Grasso and Hurley’s sideline antics are identical.

Grasso is a tireless worker and promoter of his school/name as he “offered” hundreds of kids on the first day contact was allowed with hs kids.

He just brought a 3-28 program to a regular season/conference champ and NCAA team in 4 years. That’s substance, along with more hard work.

Not saying he should be the leading candidate, but should at least be on the short list.
I don’t love Grasso as an option, BUT there is a lot to be said about a guy who is hungry to be great. That kind of hard work will pay off more often then not.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

i like the boards ideas.
What about the coach at Bellarmine?
0 x