Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is freaking awesome!! Look at Grasso yelling at Kiss for talking shit after a made basket. That’s called coaching!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

36-6 Bryant U 4

Stop showboating Peter Kiss !!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Grasso telling Kiss to stop the showboating.......something Cox doesn't bother to do......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Smh
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Here's another dumb NCAA rule

I'm watching the Atlantic Sun championship between Jacksonville and Bellarmine

Bellarmine just moved up to D1 last year

But if they win this game they don't go to the dance because they aren't eligible....WHY? Why do they have to wait to be eligible? And if they aren't eligible why are they in this tournament? If they win, which I think they will Jacksonville STATE will make it in because they were the 1 seed.

Why is this reality?

I've known about the eligibility rule, but I don't think I've ever known why they have such an arbitrary rule.
As I understand it from another board, at the time of that rule's passage, it was to prevent schools from "yo-yoing" up and down divisions, when they had good rosters vs. bad rosters. I think the better question is, if they're not eligible to receive the AQ, why have them in the tournament at all? At this low of a D-I level, you're not selling out arenas anyway. Just have them stay home.
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

But if they win this game they don't go to the dance because they aren't eligible....WHY? Why do they have to wait to be eligible? And if they aren't eligible why are they in this tournament? If they win, which I think they will Jacksonville STATE will make it in because they were the 1 seed.

Why is this reality?

I've known about the eligibility rule, but I don't think I've ever known why they have such an arbitrary rule.
It's so schools can prove they are viable at the D1 level without the help of postseason credits. To deincentivize schools from making the jump to D1 (there are already too many)
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Smh
Smh? This is awesome. Bryant was one of the country's worst programs, and they are about to make the NCAA tournament.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Why is this reality?

As I understand it from another board, at the time of that rule's passage, it was to prevent schools from "yo-yoing" up and down divisions, when they had good rosters vs. bad rosters. I think the better question is, if they're not eligible to receive the AQ, why have them in the tournament at all? At this low of a D-I level, you're not selling out arenas anyway. Just have them stay home.
This game was at Bellarmine and it was sold out lolol
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Bryant committed a murder
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Ugly seen in Smithfield.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Wow, I’ve never seen a gym emptied while the game wasnt over.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Why is this reality?

Ha, well, never mind then. :) I forgot that lower conference teams do tournament games at member schools. Or, are they serving as the "neutral" site for everyone, like Dayton used to do for the A-10? (Which, by the way - not fun for anyone that wasn't the Flyers.)
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Kiss is a punk.
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Its that signature Grasso vibe.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Kiss is a punk.
No question….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Ha, well, never mind then. :) I forgot that lower conference teams do tournament games at member schools. Or, are they serving as the "neutral" site for everyone, like Dayton used to do for the A-10? (Which, by the way - not fun for anyone that wasn't the Flyers.)
Looks like whoevers the higher seed gets to host a game. The semifinal games were played Saturday.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s the quintessential city kid with an attitude. If he’s on your team you love him if he’s not you hate him. In some way that was also Dan as a coach.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ESPN analysts saying the brawl at Bryant took away from Bryant making the tournament... the brawl literally makes it even more memorable lol

Is anyone actually appalled that they fought in the stands? How can you give two shits? They just wanna show how hard they can clutch their pearls.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago ESPN analysts saying the brawl at Bryant took away from Bryant making the tournament... the brawl literally makes it even more memorable lol

Is anyone actually appalled that they fought in the stands? How can you give two shits? They just wanna show how hard they can clutch their pearls.
It’s 2022.

People get appalled if you beep your car horn at them.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I'm sure there will be some better video of it eventually, but for now:

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugly scene for sure , looked like the Wagner fans and Bryant students went at it
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, but how you play the game does count and and bad behavior by fans does reflect on school. Always important to come off high on the "having class" scale. Also, the brawl at Bryant is a good illustration of why all the top schools with big time facilities (not gyms) do not place students behind the opposing team's bench and adjacent to their fans. And never forget that the most classless fan base in Rhode Island is not Bryant but the evil empire called Providence College and they win that award from top to n bottom - the academic admin, the athletics admin, the students, the alumni, and worst of all the subway alumni. Just ask Texas what they think of PC fans.
Last edited by Obadiah 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Agree 1000%. A sixth year player who still acts like a high schooler. Wasn’t he suspended for the Rhody game for a violation of team rules? I believe he was also suspended for a game during the conference season for being involved in an altercation. Some leader. He makes it difficult for me to root for them.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago ESPN analysts saying the brawl at Bryant took away from Bryant making the tournament... the brawl literally makes it even more memorable lol

It’s 2022.

People get appalled if you beep your car horn at them.
They should have just called it "peaceful protest" and the pearl-clutchers woulda been fine.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Interesting news from another board. Apparently Bryant has approved a new 5000 seat basketball arena to be built next to the football stadium to try to get into a bigger conference. I never understood why they weren't on the CAA's radar
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Rumor was Bryant as going to take Rhodys place in CAA when Rams were going to NEC.
Rhody came running back to CAA when apprised of Bryants attn..
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It costs 65,000 a year to go to Bryant.....they must be flush with money.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Saw this from 2017 about Bryant :lol: :

"The University has developed a reputation for being one of the best party schools in Rhode Island. They specialize in business education and alcohol. The school's reputation has attracted a student body of young people who are attracted to the party life."
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago It costs 65,000 a year to go to Bryant.....they must be flush with money.
It’s a wannabe “elite” business school
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago This is freaking awesome!! Look at Grasso yelling at Kiss for talking shit after a made basket. That’s called coaching!!
It is?? That's coaching? It's the 2nd week of March...and 3rd year of coaching that kid. And Grasso still hasn't reigned in that nonsense. They're both a joke.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago This is freaking awesome!! Look at Grasso yelling at Kiss for talking shit after a made basket. That’s called coaching!!
It is?? That's coaching? It's the 2nd week of March...and 3rd year of coaching that kid. And Grasso still hasn't reigned in that nonsense. They're both a joke.
Not all kids are created equal. If you lead the country in scoring your coach is going to put up with your shit
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Not all kids are created equal. If you lead the country in scoring your coach is going to put up with your shit
Yup.

The better you are at your given sport, the longer leash you have. That goes without saying.

Been that way for years, and will continue to be that way.

Right of wrong, it is what it is.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have been doing a bit of reading up on Bryant and it appears to have developed a bad reputation in the NEC for incidents involving its team and fans. Wagner supposedly did their walk through pregame shoot around yesterday at PC because of this. This was what the Seahawk players encountered when they finally stepped off the bus to walk into the gym at Bryant:

Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting news from another board. Apparently Bryant has approved a new 5000 seat basketball arena to be built next to the football stadium to try to get into a bigger conference. I never understood why they weren't on the CAA's radar
Other than the hoops gym, Bryant has many very nice new athletic facilities. These include an indoor football field sized practice facility and a stand alone football strength & conditioning center. Their football, soccer, baseball, and softball venues are all better than what URI has. Given how far they have come in such a short time, I would not be at all surprised to see them build a new basketball facility.

Bryant Athletic Facilities
https://express.adobe.com/page/ntZQHIHbscs1O/

As for conferences, there are many rumors that Bryant will soon leave the all sports (incl football) NEC to join the America East. As part of this, the Bulldogs have been exploring membership options for its football program. The school has even been linked to the Big South for football.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Suspended him two games to start the season, and that coaching took so well that the league suspended him for a game in early February. Look most of that is on Kiss who apparently is just a complete and total jackass, but if the league is suspending your best player and your director of basketball operations for a game you apparently have zero control over your program. We're supposed to want that clown show here because he had one good year in the NEC? Hard pass.

By the way, why in a game like that was Kiss playing 38 minutes last night? Seems like a galactically stupid idea. Again hard pass on Grasso
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bryant versus LIU - Recap and punishments

Peter Kiss Suspended Two Games After Bryant-LIU Altercations
https://www.abc6.com/peter-kiss-suspend ... ercations/
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

It is. That's coaching. Get it? Comprender? Or do you want to ask again?

That's your thing, though. You come on here and act like you're smarter than everyone and bring up people's grammar on a college basketball message board. Maybe you've been too busy proofreading everyone's posts on here to notice that we have had a coach that allows our players to do whatever the hell they want for four seasons. So when Grasso calms Kiss down in the biggest game of his life, in a sold-out arena, on national tv, I view it as a good thing.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Kiss kept doing it the whole game. Either Grasso wasn't yelling at Kiss for talking shit or the coaching didn't work...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Suspended him two games to start the season, and that coaching took so well that the league suspended him for a game in early February. Look most of that is on Kiss who apparently is just a complete and total jackass, but if the league is suspending your best player and your director of basketball operations for a game you apparently have zero control over your program. We're supposed to want that clown show here because he had one good year in the NEC? Hard pass.

By the way, why in a game like that was Kiss playing 38 minutes last night? Seems like a galactically stupid idea. Again hard pass on Grasso
SHOCKING it's a hard pass for you with Grasso.

It's not just one good year.

Every year Grasso has been there it's been better than the previous year, with last year finishing second/hosting the NEC title game, and this year winning the league title/ hosting title game again.

He's a program builder, there's no denying that.

Also, it's very very obvious why Kiss was playing 38 minutes "in a game like that."

"A game like that" is a conference championship game at home, for the schools first ever NCAA tourney appearance. Peter Kiss is the nations leading scorer, and averages 36 minutes per game. It couldn't be more obvious why he played 38 minutes. They were trying to win the game. The game was halted with 4:30 left to go, so he didn't play much after play resumed. He played two minutes more than he averages, in a conferee title game at home. Nothing crazy.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

One good year? They were a joke. His teams have gotten better every season. They had a good season last year but didn't make the tournament. Now they have. It's the first tournament Bryant has ever made. That's a successful clown show if you ask me. I get why people don't like him but let's stop pretending that he hasn't done a great job at Bryant.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

If the NEC wants to avoid spending money by not playing their tournament in a neutral site like the Bridgeport arena, then you have to put in place strict guidelines covering the way tournament games on campus sites are to be held. Nothing says bush league more than the way the NEC currently conducts their tournament.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

One good year? They were a joke. His teams have gotten better every season. They had a good season last year but didn't make the tournament. Now they have. It's the first tournament Bryant has ever made. That's a successful clown show if you ask me. I get why people don't like him but let's stop pretending that he hasn't done a great job at Bryant.
RhowdyRam is apparently the most perfect human being to exist, never breaking or even bending the rules. Everyone loves him, and strives to be like him.

If any coach isn’t that close to a perfect human being, Rhowdy has no time for that person to be our coach.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago If the NEC wants to avoid spending money by not playing their tournament in a neutral site like the Bridgeport arena, then you have to put in place strict guidelines covering the way tournament games on campus sites are to be held. Nothing says bush league more than the way the NEC currently conducts their tournament.
Exactly. Whole setup was so stupid.

If you’re going to let teams host these games they need to be played in an arena where fans aren’t behind an opposing teams bench and next to their families/fans
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago If the NEC wants to avoid spending money by not playing their tournament in a neutral site like the Bridgeport arena, then you have to put in place strict guidelines covering the way tournament games on campus sites are to be held. Nothing says bush league more than the way the NEC currently conducts their tournament.
It’s really quite simple, and takes 15 second to figure out.

Put the fan bases on different sides of the court.

The NEC isn’t the only conference to hold conference tournament games on their campuses.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Kiss kept doing it the whole game. Either Grasso wasn't yelling at Kiss for talking shit or the coaching didn't work...
Idk.. Call me crazy but I think he had to do some coaching right? They won 70-43 and Kiss dropped 34 pts.
Kiss was better in the second half. Did he still flex sometimes after a made basket? Yup. So do thousands of other players around the country. He went over the top after he did that reverse dunk and Grasso pulled him aside and told him to stop. If Kiss was an easy kid to coach he'd be playing at a high major. He's not.

Grasso and Kiss wanted to show the NEC why they had the best player in the conference. I personally like that. Give me a coach and a player that have a chip on their shoulder over what we have right now.. Maybe you like that URI didn't land one award this season. I don't

I understand if you don't like Grasso, but to act like he hasn't done a great job is ridiculous. His results speak for themselves.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhowdyRam is apparently the most perfect human being to exist, never breaking or even bending the rules. Everyone loves him, and strives to be like him.

If any coach isn’t that close to a perfect human being, Rhowdy has no time for that person to be our coach.
No person is perfect. No game performance/execution is perfect. But that doesn't mean that perfect can't be strived for and that's what you should work towards every single day.

In business, you strive to make 100% of your customers happy 100% of the time...even though we know that's not ever going to happen. So some of us we'll try to raise the bar of expectation as we encounter people and situations. You can continue to lower the bar for yourself and others.

Grasso and his players can continue their shtick at Bryant. It's worked in Smithfield. If they're happy with it, then he's got nothing to worry about. But there are many of us who don't want that shtick in Kingston.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

No person is perfect. No game performance/execution is perfect. But that doesn't mean that perfect can't be strived for and that's what you should work towards every single day.

In business, you strive to make 100% of your customers happy 100% of the time...even though we know that's not ever going to happen. So some of us we'll try to raise the bar of expectation as we encounter people and situations. You can continue to lower the bar for yourself and others.

Grasso and his players can continue their shtick at Bryant. It's worked in Smithfield. If they're happy with it, then he's got nothing to worry about. But there are many of us who don't want that shtick in Kingston.

Thanks for the business lesson… I haven’t seen one person on here say Grasso would be their top choice. He’s not mine. I still think he’s done a great job at Bryant.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's not worth replying to Rhody15, a world class dipshit and dildo
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Fair point, yes.

But it isn’t just with Grasso.

Rhowdy whins and complains and says “no way” “hard pass” on every single coach with an ounce of something than can be perceived as negative.

Nobody is good enough for him.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I understand why rhody fans including myself are picky. Lots of pressure to get this one right, or its another half a decade of mediocracy. This fan base/program can't handle that.
2 x
GO RAMS