2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ace »

At least you’re not making Georgetown-level bad decisions. We knew there was an extension after the BE tournament last year but not that is was this bad.

“According to a source with direct knowledge of the contract, Georgetown gave Ewing a three-year extension, in addition to the two years Ewing had left on his original deal… Ewing, who has a Big East record of 26-63 (.292) in the regular season, has four years total left on his deal after this season. Ewing is set to make a full base salary of $3.95 million in each of the three years that were tacked onto his pre-existing deal… If Georgetown were to fire Ewing in either of the next two seasons, 2022-23 or 2023-24, it would owe Ewing three years guaranteed salary.”
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 2 years ago At least you’re not making Georgetown-level bad decisions. We knew there was an extension after the BE tournament last year but not that is was this bad.

“According to a source with direct knowledge of the contract, Georgetown gave Ewing a three-year extension, in addition to the two years Ewing had left on his original deal… Ewing, who has a Big East record of 26-63 (.292) in the regular season, has four years total left on his deal after this season. Ewing is set to make a full base salary of $3.95 million in each of the three years that were tacked onto his pre-existing deal… If Georgetown were to fire Ewing in either of the next two seasons, 2022-23 or 2023-24, it would owe Ewing three years guaranteed salary.”
That is some straight up comedy.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Welp...all you can say is "good for you Mr. Ewing, good for you". (Who's your agent?)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

David Falk is his agent and he’s one of the best (or worst) pending what side of the coin you are on.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Did it really say a base salary of 3.95M per year??? OMG
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Once Cox is fired next week it will be interesting to see where the assistants from his staff land. Hurley had several assistants move up during his tenure - Bobby, Preston, Luke Murray, ARD. None of Cox’s assistants have moved up during his tenure and I’d be surprised if any do after his firing.

Would you consider it moving up if they become a high school coach? :lol:
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

No clue if this guy knows anything, but sharing anyway.

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He was the Globe’s Kmac. If he’s right, f*ck.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Kimani going to UMass SUCKS. Should have gotten in on the search early too I guess.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If he is right…then so much for no advantage to dumping coach before the end of the season…
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago He was the Globe’s Kmac. If he’s right, f*ck.
He has been a blogger since he left the Globe. He throws out a lot of conjecture but is more often than not wrong.
1 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Is there anyway in the world we can pay up 1.2 million? I can’t see it.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Yeah, seems like this has legs.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago Is there anyway in the world we can pay up 1.2 million? I can’t see it.
I don't see URI offering that type of money to a person that has no head coaching experience. This missing factor was the reason Cox got a relatively low ball contract (near or at the bottom of the A-10).
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

One of our rivals just got a great coach. I hope this pisses off Thorr and our donors.

How will we respond?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago One of our rivals just got a great coach. I hope this pisses off Thorr and our donors.

How will we respond?
One of our rivals just got a great assistant coach. It’s unknown if he will make a great head coach. Haven’t we learned that firsthand?
5 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Oh.

1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Wtf hahah
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Twitter, the ultimate double edge sword.
1 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Oh.

No media member is better connected to UMass athletics than Vautour. He was the longtime UMass beat writer for the Hampshire Daily Gazette and is now at the Springfield Republican/Masslive.com.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago At least you’re not making Georgetown-level bad decisions. We knew there was an extension after the BE tournament last year but not that is was this bad.

Probably the worst thing was them winning the BE tournament last year made them extend him now they stuck with him
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Just waiting for someone to tweet: "UMass is close to hiring Matt McCall as their next head coach, per source. He is currently undefeated as the interim head coach at UMass."
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thread on Young and UMASS on Theboneyard. Interesting since Zags has been tied in with Hurley in the past. Interesting twitter giveth and twitter taketh away - at least for now

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/umass- ... ng.179502/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
Ugh I hate all this false bull crap why report if not accurate??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Oh.

Welcome to silly season! Are you not entertained?!
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Fully admitting I know nothing about Young - would he be getting serious looks if Hurley hadn’t been ejected from that game? Was that the catalyst?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Fully admitting I know nothing about Young - would he be getting serious looks if Hurley hadn’t been ejected from that game? Was that the catalyst?
I could have sworn that Ace or Iggy mentioned him before that, so I think his name was getting out there. It's also impossible to tell how "serious" anyone is being considered for any of these jobs, especially now, when plenty of initial interviews are probably going to be done by Zoom. The initial tweet announcing that UMass was "zeroing in" on him did strike me as odd, considering that McCall is still employed, and Young presumably doesn't want to leave his job at UConn until they're eliminated from the NCAA tournament. A poster on the UConn board speculated, via a UMass beat reporter, that the rumor is originating from Young's agent, which is a pretty common tactic.
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

If Kimani Young does actually go to UMass (or anywhere) I would assume that DH immediately grabs Cox as AHC at UConn - maybe?

… and yes, I know Cox hasn’t been fired yet. Thank you.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

UMass is a dumpster fire. Would be odd if Kimani wound up there.

The Georgetown thing is why you fire Cox no matter what happens next week.

You don’t hire or fire someone based on 5 games in one week. An A10 title this year does nothing for us long term.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago If Kimani Young does actually go to UMass (or anywhere) I would assume that DH immediately grabs Cox as AHC at UConn - maybe?

… and yes, I know Cox hasn’t been fired yet. Thank you.
Yea, that would make the most sense if/when Cox is fired.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Fully admitting I know nothing about Young - would he be getting serious looks if Hurley hadn’t been ejected from that game? Was that the catalyst?
No, not the catalyst at all, imo. Kimani has been the Associate Head Coach at UConn the past two years. He’s been great and also had success working with Richard Pitino at Minnesota and FIU. He has AAU experience in NYC and has endless recruiting connections. I think he’d be great, but it’s also fair to note that you never know how a guy with no experience will do. I remember a number of people here believing that Cox was the real reason for Hurley’s success and I imagine some UConn fans will say that about Kimani (what a coincidence that Hurley keeps hiring guys that make him not suck!). Kimani also has a really compelling personal story. I’d bet on him in a minute. If there’s a spot on UConn’s staff and Cox is available, that’s not the move for UConn I’d prefer.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

sign me up for Crean
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Kimani Young is/was my top pick. I find it interesting that when the rumor came out about UMass, all of a sudden there was more interest in him from URI fans.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Crean is definitely worth a phone call to see his interest.
I would definitely test the waters with him.

We all love Archie, me included.
But Crean went to 3 Sweet 16's with Indiana, Archie didn't.

Also, I don't think we will have many coaches on our radar who have been to the Final Four.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Place Crean on the white board please.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Young has an interesting story as he was in a federal prison just some 20 years ago for possession of 96 pounds of marijuana.

Kimani Young, Overcoming Adversity, Tragedy, Offers Life Lessons For UConn Men
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-me ... story.html
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Young has an interesting story as he was in a federal prison just some 20 years ago for possession of 96 pounds of marijuana.

And here it comes!

He’s not holier than thou! He should be fired immediately! Give him a show cause for 20 years!

Hahahaha this is too predictable. Pointing out every single coaches flaw in life.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Young has an interesting story as he was in a federal prison just some 20 years ago for possession of 96 pounds of marijuana.

And here it comes!

He’s not holier than thou! He should be fired immediately! Give him a show cause for 20 years!

Hahahaha this is too predictable. Pointing out every single coaches flaw in life.
You don't think it's relevant to point out potential issues with candidates? That should be part of the discussion with every candidate
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

And here it comes!

I mean who doesn't have 96 pounds of weed just laying around the house?
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

And here it comes!

You don't think it's relevant to point out potential issues with candidates? That should be part of the discussion with every candidate

Hahahaha and I knew you’d be the FIRST person to respond.

You literally look for reasons NOT to hire every single candidate that people talk about.

It’s truly incredible, and pretty hilarious you sticking to your guns and not wanting any candidates whatsoever.

If you were a fan of Auburn or Houston, you 100% would’ve been against the Sampson and Pearl hires, and look where they are.

Houston a final four team last year, and a 4/5 seed this year. Auburn a final four team few seasons ago, getting a #1 seed this year.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Ace referred to Young's back story, which I didn't know until I read this. Talk about overcoming an incredible amount of obstacles, adversity and hardship.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Kimani Young is/was my top pick. I find it interesting that when the rumor came out about UMass, all of a sudden there was more interest in him from URI fans.
I don't think there was "more interest" because I've always considered him a "splash" hire with upside.

But I don't have him as a top option because I don't think this program is in a place to experiment with a first timer.

I do think he'll be great, and tbh I would be excited and totally buy in to the Kimani Young rebuild. I would just take someone more proven and at a higher level, meaning that we're investing more.

Now, if we were to hire Kimani AND provide the Hurley infrastructure promises? That would excite me greatly.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And here it comes!

You literally look for reasons NOT to hire every single candidate that people talk about.

It’s truly incredible, and pretty hilarious you sticking to your guns and not wanting any candidates whatsoever.

If you were a fan of Auburn or Houston, you 100% would’ve been against the Sampson and Pearl hires, and look where they are.

Houston a final four team last year, and a 4/5 seed this year. Auburn a final four team few seasons ago, getting a #1 seed this year.
Please highlight where I said I didn't want him or said this was disqualifying
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Before I hired Young, I would want to know what he did with the rest of the shipment.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If anything can be brought up as a negative about a coach, you post or reply. Every single time.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

If anything can be brought up as a negative about a coach, you post or reply. Every single time.
So just like always you've got nothing because your reading comprehension is less than zero and you're too focused on being an aggressive shitposter to actually make one decent point
4 x