2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If Schmidt moves to another A10 program, my guess it would be to us.
So we hire an assistant coach the second time to keep the roster and it implodes. And we would hire another coach from the bonnies that we fired the first coach from the bonnies? We don't learn do we?
I don’t think we should hire Schmidt but you can’t compare him to Baron. Schmidt is a far superior coach.
He's been coaching at the bonnies for 15 years. He's been to 3 NCAAT and has not won a game. The guy runs a mediocre team. Sorry.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So we hire an assistant coach the second time to keep the roster and it implodes. And we would hire another coach from the bonnies that we fired the first coach from the bonnies? We don't learn do we?
I don’t think we should hire Schmidt but you can’t compare him to Baron. Schmidt is a far superior coach.
He's been coaching at the bonnies for 15 years. He's been to 3 NCAAT and has not won a game. The guy runs a mediocre team. Sorry.
Schmidt was the big favorite to win the A10 this year. Underachieved with all his starters back. No thanks.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Schmidt was the big favorite to win the A10 this year. Underachieved with all his starters back. No thanks.
Ramster no worry, doubtful there is any interest on either side.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Schmidt won a play in round NCAA game in Dayton in 2018 versus UCLA 65-58. Then lost to Florida 77-62.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

Schmidt won a play in round NCAA game in Dayton in 2018 versus UCLA 65-58. Then lost to Florida 77-62.
Sorry, just looked at his wiki and saw three rounds of 64.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't think people need to get worked up about Schmidt coming to URI. I don't think Rhody could make an offer big enough to get him to leave. He already made several $100k more than Cox in an area with a much lower cost of housing. I would think a big salary increase would be needed to get him. If UMass is really offering $1.8, I would think that meets this criteria.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I don't think people need to get worked up about Schmidt coming to URI. I don't think Rhody could make an offer big enough to get him to leave. He already made several $100k more than Cox in an area with a much lower cost of housing. I would think a big salary increase would be needed to get him. If UMass is really offering $1.8, I would think that meets this criteria.
If that's what you think. I'm hoping we make a $2M offer to Archie. But that would never get Schmidt to leave. LOL.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Ramster no worry, doubtful there is any interest on either side.
Some of his starters don't seem to have improved much the past 2 years. Of course he could surprise and win the A10 next week and be walking on air.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would be ok with Schmidt like him better than Becker
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It’s absolutely tremendous how no coach is ever good enough for you.

Tough to recruit to goddam Olean NY, and still has been to multiple NCAAs, has a win, A10 titles, preseason ranked this year.
3 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Tough to recruit to goddam Olean NY, and still has been to multiple NCAAs, has a win, A10 titles, preseason ranked this year.
Schmidt is Baron 2.0, does well with under-recruited kids. I don’t think he leads this program to where we want it to be. Big name or bust for me. Crean, Miller, Pitino, Mack, etc.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Western Mass media take on the UMass search:

https://www.masslive.com/umassbasketbal ... utour.html
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Schmidt is Baron 2.0, does well with under-recruited kids. I don’t think he leads this program to where we want it to be. Big name or bust for me. Crean, Miller, Pitino, Mack, etc.

Hahahahahhaha ok let’s see here.

Schmidt - A10 regular season championships, A10 tournament championships, 3 NCAA appearances, 1 NCAA win.

Baron at Rhody - literally none of those.

So please, enlighten us all how Schmidt is Baron 2.0.
4 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A little surprising ... maybe not.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

What!!!! In what world is Schmidt Baron 2.0!! Are you trying to top 72 with the most outrageous post of the month?
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

What!!!! In what world is Schmidt Baron 2.0!! Are you trying to top 72 with the most outrageous post of the month?
Yeah I’m not complaining one bit if Mark Schmidt is our head coach
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He's made 3 NCAAT in 15 years and won 1 game. Two of those was from winning the A10 tournament. Not sure if they were at large those years if they didn't win the tournament. He's made 1 NIT in 15 years which means for the most part, they were never on the bubble. How many times have they been ranked? How many years have they been ranked? Hurley made 2 NCAAT in 6 years and won 2 games. Also an NIT. I would not be happy with him as a coach.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I know we're not Charleston So. I hope the administration doesn't think so either. But when I see things like this it scares the heck out of me

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Well, it's bust for you since none of them will ne next coach
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The dichotomy between “this program sucks and gets no support and is a terrible job” versus “that quality coach sucks and I want nothing but a future hall of famer” is something.
6 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think its Schmidt, Mason or Skerry for UMass
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Schmidt's Massachusetts roots may not be as deep as you think. He comes from North Attleborough (not far from the late, lamented Jack Witschi's Arena) and went to Bishop Feehan High School in Attleborough -- both essentially suburbs of Providence. In fact, for years The Attleboro Sun Chronicle covered mental hospital basketball.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago I think its Schmidt, Mason or Skerry for UMass
3 guys they will likely target it seems
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Why would Schmidt leave Olean for Amherst? That would be a head scratcher. He’s king of the hill, plays to 5-6k every night and can walk on water there. Umass is a dumpster.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe if they offer 1.8 - 2M he would listen ?? Not sure what’s important to him at this stage he is 59
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

More money. Higher program ceiling at UMass.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Getting Mason and especially Skerry would be terrible. You talk about no excitement and little chance to bring high level transfers over and these guys would be the hire
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Schmidt's Massachusetts roots may not be as deep as you think. He comes from North Attleborough (not far from the late, lamented Jack Witschi's Arena) and went to Bishop Feehan High School in Attleborough -- both essentially suburbs of Providence. In fact, for years The Attleboro Sun Chronicle covered mental hospital basketball.

....."MENTAL HOSPITAL BASKETBALL", From this previous experience The Attleboro Sun Chronicle would have been a natural fit to cover us this year!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I want a coach on the way up with fire in his belly to excel.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago He's made 3 NCAAT in 15 years and won 1 game. Two of those was from winning the A10 tournament. Not sure if they were at large those years if they didn't win the tournament. He's made 1 NIT in 15 years which means for the most part, they were never on the bubble. How many times have they been ranked? How many years have they been ranked? Hurley made 2 NCAAT in 6 years and won 2 games. Also an NIT. I would not be happy with him as a coach.
You’re not happy with literally anything.

Loyola stinks, bad addition to the conference, a “Chicago Fordham” as you put it. Meanwhile they’re in the NCAA again after winning their conference.

Schmidt stinks, even though he’s been to multiple NCAAs and has a win.

This stinks, that stinks.

Everything stinks according to you.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In fairness, I'm the one that said Chicago Fordham, and I didn't say it was definite, just that that was a possibility, which I stand by. Let's see how they look stepping up in competition when Porter Moser's players aren't there anymore
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago He's made 3 NCAAT in 15 years and won 1 game. Two of those was from winning the A10 tournament. Not sure if they were at large those years if they didn't win the tournament. He's made 1 NIT in 15 years which means for the most part, they were never on the bubble. How many times have they been ranked? How many years have they been ranked? Hurley made 2 NCAAT in 6 years and won 2 games. Also an NIT. I would not be happy with him as a coach.

Loyola stinks, bad addition to the conference, a “Chicago Fordham” as you put it. Meanwhile they’re in the NCAA again after winning their conference.

I believe I called them a gym school. Not Chicago Fordham. If you are fine with 3 NCAAT in 15 years, I don't know what to tell you. That wouldn't last here.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I believe I called them a gym school. Not Chicago Fordham. If you are fine with 3 NCAAT in 15 years, I don't know what to tell you. That wouldn't last here.
Yes it would.

1 NCAA appearance every five years would 100% be looked at as a positive at Rhody.

Now obviously we all would want more, but that would be looked at as a success.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Three tournaments since 1985. If something permanently flipped in the 2017-18 season than great, we got a great program. But to just assume they're going to be successful like people on here are assuming when their last 35 years suggest otherwise, there's a solid chance you're going to be disappointed
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yes it would.

1 NCAA appearance every five years would 100% be looked at as a positive at Rhody.

Now obviously we all would want more, but that would be looked at as a success.
And 1 win. LMFAO.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still think Loyola was a solid decision especially the way they are trending though that will be question can they keep it going , I would expect them to be at least top half of the A10 for the next couple of years
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

As a student getting my BS and MBA in the 80's and 90's, I judge success based on my time at URI. 5 NCAAT in 11 years, a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago As a student getting my BS and MBA in the 80's and 90's, I judge success based on my time at URI. 5 NCAAT in 11 years, a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8.
Damn we really need to get back to something like that and not have another drought like we did from 2000-2017
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago As a student getting my BS and MBA in the 80's and 90's, I judge success based on my time at URI. 5 NCAAT in 11 years, a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8.
That was a good run by 3 different coaches, actually 5 NCAAT in 12 years but close.
Then all hell broke loose.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That was a good run by 3 different coaches, actually 5 NCAAT in 12 years but close.
88-99. I think that's 11.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

No, 12 seasons,
Penders - 1 NCAAT
Skinner - 9 seasons- 2 NCAAT
Harrick - 2 seasons - 2 NCAAT
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No, 12 seasons,
Penders - 1 NCAAT
You are correct sir.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

No, 12 seasons,
Penders - 1 NCAAT
You are correct sir.
That's okay, it was an enjoyable stretch for us.
Hope we can find the next successful coach
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

No, 12 seasons,
Penders - 1 NCAAT
You are correct sir.
That's okay, it was an enjoyable stretch for us.
Hope we can find the next successful coach
*and commit to.

We found him. We had zero interest in committing to being a first rate basketball program. So here we are.

Honestly we all know where I stand on the next coaching hire, but the main reason that I want that particular hire is that it will mean we are FINALLY going to commit to a championship level of investment.

The reason I will be disappointed in anyone from that second or third tier of coaches isn't because I don't think any of them will become good coaches - Langel, Young, etc - it's because that means that we haven't changed shit.

We're grabbing "the next Dan Hurley" on the cheap, trying to catch lightning in a bottle, and then maybe see where we're at before we want to invest.

A coach coming from a lower level program will be happy to be here. He won't demand better - he'll think he's in a good spot because it has more than he had.

I want to be a PROGRAM. Trying to be Dayton or VCU shouldn't be too much to ask...really just trying to be who we were 4 years ago. For ONCE - let's think big.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Then throw in a few NITs also was a great stretch
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

you want to face the real facts. This University doesn't deserve the Ryan Center. They invest like we are still playing in Keaney. It's been 20 years and when you get down to it, URI had more success in Keaney than they have had in the Ryan Center.

Scoreboards, replays, wifi. Add it all up and we should be watching games in Keaney. The ship has sailed and without one of us hitting powerball and giving URI 50 million to get everything this program needs we are Fordham, We are Bryant.

Sorry guys just the truth.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago you want to face the real facts. This University doesn't deserve the Ryan Center. They invest like we are still playing in Keaney. It's been 20 years and when you get down to it, URI had more success in Keaney than they have had in the Ryan Center.

Scoreboards, replays, wifi. Add it all up and we should be watching games in Keaney. The ship has sailed and without one of us hitting powerball and giving URI 50 million to get everything this program needs we are Fordham, We are Bryant.

Hahahahahah yea, we’re Fordham and Bryant alright.

Good lord buddy, get a grip.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago you want to face the real facts. This University doesn't deserve the Ryan Center. They invest like we are still playing in Keaney. It's been 20 years and when you get down to it, URI had more success in Keaney than they have had in the Ryan Center.

Hahahahahah yea, we’re Fordham and Bryant alright.

Good lord buddy, get a grip.
15 I wish I hope i end up being wrong. But take a look at the crowds this year. Maybe 2,500 - 3,000 on a good night. Students gave up on going. I get it we all want us to be better but reality says we are a sinking ship and unless Thorr hits a HR get used to it.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are not Fordham or Bryant.

Having said that though, he's right about our skinflint University.

Like I've said a million times, URI "thinks" big when it comes to the MBB program.....

But they don't "do" big.
1 x