3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 2:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: 3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 2:30PM (USA)

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When Cox goes most players with eligibility remaining will enter the portal. Thomas may be the exception. It is hard to find a team as bad as URI that isn't full of disgruntled players. The players don't demand more from themselves and Cox doesn't demand more from them. They are a perfect match. The culture to excel brought by DH is gone.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Did anyone hear what was directed towards Shane? Stone mentioned St. Joe's fans directed something towards him but wouldn't repeat it
Anyone know?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Something about bringing his handicap sticker to A10s.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

God we're in such a trash bag conference
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow. Trash fans. Those who said that can burn in hell for all I care.

Yesterday at my son's soccer tournament, the two handicap parking spots were taken by:

1) healthy family with a red RI handicap vehicle placard. Mom sat in the driver seat with engine running while taking up the parking space, but got out and walked around just fine when rest of family came back to the car.

2) 20-something girl on her phone with a tiny white toy dog on her lap. No handicap placard. Engine also running whole time.

We had to get "creative" to find a place for me to get out of our car and into my wheelchair.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago God we're in such a trash bag conference
Happens at every level of sports in every conference.

Doesn’t excuse it by any means, they’re assholes. But unfortunately they’re assholes everywhere in the world
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Something about bringing his handicap sticker to A10s.
Another "Catholic" school.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Be prepared for a continued bumpy ride. There are going to be a lot more games like this for the next two seasons even with the new coach. There is not much talent here and there will likely also be a lot of turnover as is typically the case with a change. It will probably be year three under the next coach before you can expect a decent team.
Disagree.

A decent coach has this team finishing in the top half of the league easily.
I'm kind of in the mindset that coaches probably effect player performance less than people think. Meaning - I think the best coaches put players into a position to succeed, and the worst coaches focus way too much on a player's shortcomings, or try to jam a square peg into a round hole. Like, I doubt any coach would turn the Mitchells into disciplined, interior post presences that can nail free throws. Players kind of "default" to how they want to play naturally, which is why we suddenly don't have a guard attacking the basket regularly, even though we no longer have Fatts dribbling the ball a ton.

That being said though, Cox's strategy decisions and personnel choices make absolutely no sense either. I don't think he puts players into positions where they can succeed. I don't remember when Sheppard got benched for Thomas, but that was around game 25, and now is when he's decided to bench a Mitchell, when the season is already completely gone. The timeouts after made baskets make no sense. Leggett has badly regressed, El-Amin went from a solid guard at Ball State to completely passive at URI, Berry and Ayo-Faleye have now been on our roster for multiple years with almost 0 minutes played...

I don't think a new coach means that URI is among the top four in the league, because our guards were honestly awful this year. But we're probably slightly above .500 in league play at least. More to the point, in college basketball, the coach is also responsible for roster construction and retention, and we've been awful at that the past few years.
Yeah but we were 12-4 going into that GW game and we had no business losing to FGCU before that.

If we had any semblance of actual coaching we'd probably have close to 20 if not 20+

Early on we were also better. We completely fell apart. I mean we were like the only team to beat Davidson in the A-10 and we did it fairly easily. If Cox could have at least had us playing as well as we were in the fall we would have finished in the middle of the league.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Disagree.

A decent coach has this team finishing in the top half of the league easily.
I'm kind of in the mindset that coaches probably effect player performance less than people think. Meaning - I think the best coaches put players into a position to succeed, and the worst coaches focus way too much on a player's shortcomings, or try to jam a square peg into a round hole. Like, I doubt any coach would turn the Mitchells into disciplined, interior post presences that can nail free throws. Players kind of "default" to how they want to play naturally, which is why we suddenly don't have a guard attacking the basket regularly, even though we no longer have Fatts dribbling the ball a ton.

That being said though, Cox's strategy decisions and personnel choices make absolutely no sense either. I don't think he puts players into positions where they can succeed. I don't remember when Sheppard got benched for Thomas, but that was around game 25, and now is when he's decided to bench a Mitchell, when the season is already completely gone. The timeouts after made baskets make no sense. Leggett has badly regressed, El-Amin went from a solid guard at Ball State to completely passive at URI, Berry and Ayo-Faleye have now been on our roster for multiple years with almost 0 minutes played...

I don't think a new coach means that URI is among the top four in the league, because our guards were honestly awful this year. But we're probably slightly above .500 in league play at least. More to the point, in college basketball, the coach is also responsible for roster construction and retention, and we've been awful at that the past few years.
Yeah but we were 12-4 going into that GW game and we had no business losing to FGCU before that.

If we had any semblance of actual coaching we'd probably have close to 20 if not 20+

Early on we were also better. We completely fell apart. I mean we were like the only team to beat Davidson in the A-10 and we did it fairly easily. If Cox could have at least had us playing as well as we were in the fall we would have finished in the middle of the league.
I think we just played worse teams, early on. Also, in conference play, even bad teams will scout you better than OOC bad teams. We were winning games OOC, but not by much, like an actual good team does.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think we just played worse teams, early on. Also, in conference play, even bad teams will scout you better than OOC bad teams. We were winning games OOC, but not by much, like an actual good team does.
We started to get worse than the bad teams we were beating lol
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

To finish under .500 considering our start and the quality of competition is just flat out disgraceful no wonder a coaching change coming
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Did anyone hear what was directed towards Shane? Stone mentioned St. Joe's fans directed something towards him but wouldn't repeat it
Shane referenced the entire thing on his Facebook. I was absolutely infuriated when I read it. He's one of the nicest people on that entire campus.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Wow. Trash fans. Those who said that can burn in hell for all I care.

Yesterday at my son's soccer tournament, the two handicap parking spots were taken by:

1) healthy family with a red RI handicap vehicle placard. Mom sat in the driver seat with engine running while taking up the parking space, but got out and walked around just fine when rest of family came back to the car.

2) 20-something girl on her phone with a tiny white toy dog on her lap. No handicap placard. Engine also running whole time.

We had to get "creative" to find a place for me to get out of our car and into my wheelchair.
My mother has a lot of walking/health issues and has a blue placard. She's been mouthed off to before by complete losers. Nothing infuriates me more than seeing how people act with handicapped parking. I get a pit in my stomach when I see/hear things like this. Also when able-bodied people park in fire lanes to prance into the grocery store.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Something about bringing his handicap sticker to A10s.
Another "Catholic" school.

Isn't it ironic? I know a lovely URI season ticket holder who is an elderly woman. Retired. I have incredible respect for her. She's been heckled at Pee Cee games at the Dump before. Anyone going after anyone handicapped or elderly is complete trash. I won't tolerate it.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Wow. Trash fans. Those who said that can burn in hell for all I care.

My mother has a lot of walking/health issues and has a blue placard. She's been mouthed off to before by complete losers. Nothing infuriates me more than seeing how people act with handicapped parking. I get a pit in my stomach when I see/hear things like this. Also when able-bodied people park in fire lanes to prance into the grocery store.
"But I'm just running in for two seconds!"
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Such a classless fan that would make a comment like that about Shane , sorry you had to endure that
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

"But I'm just running in for two seconds!"
With all the spinal and joint issues my mother has, I don't even know how she walks!

Ironically, she saw Gina's husband parked in the fire lane at the Colvitto's in gansett as GIna "RAN IN" for some pizza.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

We started to get worse than the bad teams we were beating lol
Worser faster, too. Don't forget the the faster part.
0 x