Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by luke »

Maybe if they can make a quick hire the new coach could talk Chance Stevens into staying with URI along with anybody he thinks he can work with .
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Maybe if they can make a quick hire the new coach could talk Chance Stevens into staying with URI along with anybody he thinks he can work with .
That would definitely be best case scenario
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Who cares who stays or who goes we have been awful for 2 seasons in a row.
8 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Maybe if they can make a quick hire the new coach could talk Chance Stevens into staying with URI along with anybody he thinks he can work with .
Who is this guy Chance Stevens? Is he like a burger boy? Top 100 recruit? Why is he so important?
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

That is exactly the reason I was hoping we would have given Cox his walking papers weeks ago. Now I am hoping it is done quickly after the last loss next week.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Who is this guy Chance Stevens? Is he like a burger boy? Top 100 recruit? Why is he so important?

I think he is resilient."
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

He is reported to be one of the very best 3 point shooters in the West.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes my hope is Chance would stay as it looks like he has potential but we’ll see if his loyalty is too coach Cox
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Maybe he stays if Cox doesn't get another job.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

What would make anyone think this young man is a difference maker? I am so confused? The last few recruiting cycles this staff has brought in the worst collection of prep players we have seen in a long time! Not one single quality A-10 prep player! I'm sure Coach and staff would have red shirted him! I'm tired of NEC, American East, MAAC quality prep players. This group of assistant coaches is to green and unexperienced to land any quality player. This is why Cox has had to recruit the transfer portal. Chance can go to Pepperdine or Cal Urvine and average 7 points per game! All the best young man!
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago What would make anyone think this young man is a difference maker? I am so confused? The last few recruiting cycles this staff has brought in the worst collection of prep players we have seen in a long time! Not one single quality A-10 prep player! I'm sure Coach and staff would have red shirted him! I'm tired of NEC, American East, MAAC quality prep players. This group of assistant coaches is to green and unexperienced to land any quality player. This is why Cox has had to recruit the transfer portal. Chance can go to Pepperdine or Cal Urvine and average 7 points per game! All the best young man!
I think people forget about guys like Matthew Butler and Omar Silverio… Chance could be a nice player but Cox has proven to us that he recruits average to below average players. Stop worrying about what players stay or go. The only thing that matters is hiring the right coach. Hire the right coach and he’ll bring in his type of guys that fit his system.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago What would make anyone think this young man is a difference maker? I am so confused? The last few recruiting cycles this staff has brought in the worst collection of prep players we have seen in a long time! Not one single quality A-10 prep player! I'm sure Coach and staff would have red shirted him! I'm tired of NEC, American East, MAAC quality prep players. This group of assistant coaches is to green and unexperienced to land any quality player. This is why Cox has had to recruit the transfer portal. Chance can go to Pepperdine or Cal Urvine and average 7 points per game! All the best young man!
I think people forget about guys like Matthew Butler and Omar Silverio… Chance could be a nice player but Cox has proven to us that he recruits average to below average players. Stop worrying about what players stay or go. The only thing that matters is hiring the right coach. Hire the right coach and he’ll bring in his type of guys that fit his system.
Exactly at this point just pray Thorr makes the right hire
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
Oh boy what is going through the mind of Tres Berry
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

luke wrote: 2 years ago Maybe he stays if Cox doesn't get another job.
Are you sure he would play? Cox is getting fired. In about a week.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Maybe he stays if Cox doesn't get another job.
Are you sure he would play? Cox is getting fired. In about a week.
Cox has to know it’s coming too
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

BlueRam we are talking about the possibility that Stevens might come even if Cox is fired . I was suggesting that if Cox has no coaching job , maybe Stevens might come to URI even if Cox is fired.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

What is the potential interest in Bobby Hurley who is apparently going to get fired at Arizona State . I think he would fit the bill if he is interested .
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

luke wrote: 2 years ago What is the potential interest in Bobby Hurley who is apparently going to get fired at Arizona State . I think he would fit the bill if he is interested .
You seem like a nice guy Luke, but gotta keep up man. ASU said this week he isn’t getting fired
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

luke wrote: 2 years ago What is the potential interest in Bobby Hurley who is apparently going to get fired at Arizona State . I think he would fit the bill if he is interested .
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

luke wrote: 2 years ago BlueRam we are talking about the possibility that Stevens might come even if Cox is fired . I was suggesting that if Cox has no coaching job , maybe Stevens might come to URI even if Cox is fired.
It’s probably a long shot @ best because Cox is friendly with Chances dad
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Who cares who stays or who goes we have been awful for 2 seasons in a row.
100% agree. I was one that was in favor of hiring Cox to keep some of the current players and also Harris, Martin and the rest of the big freshman class. It ended up being the wrong move and with the changes in transfer rules it doesn’t really matter. If I had to choose one to stay it would be Stevens probably because I haven’t seen him play and he has what seems like a great attitude. The other players I have all seen play unfortunately.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Find me a coach with the passion and where-with-all to excel. Not a Becker who is happy being successful at Vermont and done nothing more with his career. I'll take a Luke Murray type assistant or a D2/D3 coach on the way up over that every day of the week. I don't want some lifer assistant from a top D1 team who was satisfied with this type of job. Get me a HC who will drive himself, players and assistants to excel at college basketball. A D1 HC is no place for someone with D3 priorities.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And, I know the Pac-12 isn’t great, but ASU did end up 10-10 in conference play after starting 3-9, including a win against then 3rd ranked UCLA.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Who cares who stays or who goes we have been awful for 2 seasons in a row.
100% agree. I was one that was in favor of hiring Cox to keep some of the current players and also Harris, Martin and the rest of the big freshman class. It ended up being the wrong move and with the changes in transfer rules it doesn’t really matter. If I had to choose one to stay it would be Stevens probably because I haven’t seen him play and he has what seems like a great attitude. The other players I have all seen play unfortunately.
Sad...
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

florida gulf coast coach was fired yesterday; imo he would be a better choice than an inexperienced assistant
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago florida gulf coast coach was fired yesterday; imo he would be a better choice than an inexperienced assistant
If our next coach is a fired lower level mid major coach we should probably just not bother supporting the program
8 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

This hire may be a more important hire than Danny. Think about how much has changed on college hoops since then. The day of a P5 school coming to the Ryan center may be over so scheduling gets harder.
Also, people have gone through two years of Covid hell and some have realized that going to a game may not be that important anymore.

This hire needs to have a WOW factor to it or the Ryan center may become a ghost town.
6 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago florida gulf coast coach was fired yesterday; imo he would be a better choice than an inexperienced assistant
He was on the short list 4 years ago. Hard pass.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

I would rank my preferences as follows.

1. Archie Miller/Chris Mack/Tom Crean
I think these are pretty unlikely (maybe Archie there is a small chance). Obviously these would be big splash hires that would make the program relevant again and turn things around very quickly. However, I think all of these guys could have their pick from better jobs unfortunately.

2. Matt Langel (Colgate)
I think to win consistently at a place like URI you need to run a solid "system". Kind of like Bo Ryan did at Wisconsin, never got the top recruits, but knew what guys would work in his system and could get the best out of them. The more I look at Langel, I think he is that type of coach. He runs a great system, motion offense, good shooters. This is the type of thing that really works in the A10. Colgate is not an easy place to win at and he has turned that in to a really solid program.

3. John Becker (Vermont)
He is just a winner. I don't think he would beat the world at URI, but he would have URI in contention in the A10, and make the tourney from time to time. About as good as you can realistically ask for.

4. All the rest
Everyone else that has been mentioned don't really get me too excited, just since they are a little unproven, but you never know. Mason or Holloway could certainly be diamonds in the rough.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I think you're going to end up with Shaheen Holloway, and I think you're going to be very happy with him. You might not "win the press conference" but you're going to win a lot of games.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago I think you're going to end up with Shaheen Holloway, and I think you're going to be very happy with him. You might not "win the press conference" but you're going to win a lot of games.
Looking at his record we would lose a lot of games as well.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago I think you're going to end up with Shaheen Holloway, and I think you're going to be very happy with him. You might not "win the press conference" but you're going to win a lot of games.
Looking at his record we would lose a lot of games as well.
Shaheen wouldn't be at the top of my list, and I would be disappointed.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tough crowd.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Am I missing something? Why is he so deserving of a new job? Has coached an above average but not great mid major team for like 3 years.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years agoTough crowd.
This will be a huge hire for Thorr, and will be a defining moment in his career and our program.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Coach Holloway is very well connected/respected in the tri-state area. He has built relationships with the best prep programs in the country. He has extensive AAU connections and could be the next Coach at Seton Hall if Willard ever leaves for another job (Maryland?). He has fight in him and his players play with an edge. St. Peters is not an easy place to win and he has them close. Anyone who does not think this gentleman isn't moving up sooner than later in level of Coaching is for lack of a better word... Clueless.

That being said he might not be a fit for us or we might not be a fit for him? But he is deserving of being in the discussion. In Thor we trust!
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Am I missing something? Why is he so deserving of a new job? Has coached an above average but not great mid major team for like 3 years.
Just my opinion, but I think you need to take into account the program that he took over. No, he hasn't had an elite season in that conference, but he took over one of the worst D1 programs out there and has gotten them onto an upward trajectory. If you want to tell me that the timing isn't right and that he needs another year or two of seasoning before a step up, I'd accept that. But I think he's going to be a star.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’ll probably be booed to oblivion here but I’d like take a run at Kimani Young. I’m not against Holloway either if you want an existing D1 coach.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago
Just my opinion, but I think you need to take into account the program that he took over. No, he hasn't had an elite season in that conference, but he took over one of the worst D1 programs out there and has gotten them onto an upward trajectory. If you want to tell me that the timing isn't right and that he needs another year or two of seasoning before a step up, I'd accept that. But I think he's going to be a star.
Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to discredit what he’s done and what he’ll do in the future.

But especially where we’re at as a program at URI this type of hire feels very high risk. More or less still unproven at a mid major coaching level.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Coach Holloway is very well connected/respected in the tri-state area. He has built relationships with the best prep programs in the country. He has extensive AAU connections and could be the next Coach at Seton Hall if Willard ever leaves for another job (Maryland?). He has fight in him and his players play with an edge. St. Peters is not an easy place to win and he has them close. Anyone who does not think this gentleman isn't moving up sooner than later in level of Coaching is for lack of a better word... Clueless.

That being said he might not be a fit for us or we might not be a fit for him? But he is deserving of being in the discussion. In Thor we trust!
I am extremely familiar with Holloway including his playing career and as an assistant at SH.
I grew up and went to HS a mile from the SH campus and follow them closely.

I do think Holloway will get his opportunity at a higher level, just not sure he is a good fit for us at this time.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to discredit what he’s done and what he’ll do in the future.

But especially where we’re at as a program at URI this type of hire feels very high risk. More or less still unproven at a mid major coaching level.
Fair point
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
And, I know the Pac-12 isn’t great, but ASU did end up 10-10 in conference play after starting 3-9, including a win against then 3rd ranked UCLA.
Good for Bobby the way ASU finished up the regular season

Next season is probably important for him though may not be able to afford a season under .500
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I’ll probably be booed to oblivion here but I’d like take a run at Kimani Young. I’m not against Holloway either if you want an existing D1 coach.
I'm with you, Young would be on my short list to.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This might be a hardline stance on my part, and influenced by the Baron years, but... I'm less impressed by a coach that just takes over a really bad program, brings them to respectable, vs. one that continues to build and improve a program. Teams that win less than 10 games, they're bad, but they were also probably unlucky. If they just get "average" luck when it comes to game results and recruitment, they're going to look better. I'd kind of lump Holloway in with that Wagner coach - I think it's a good resume, but I value Becker over them. (And, Archie Miller over Becker.)
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

I bet people in this thread wouldn’t want Drew Valentine at Loyola Chicago because he doesn’t have enough Head Coaching experience.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago I bet people in this thread wouldn’t want Drew Valentine at Loyola Chicago because he doesn’t have enough Head Coaching experience.
That's the problem with assistant coaches. We made Cox head coach on a NCAAT team. He flamed out so bad, I never would have expected it. Drew goes to the NCAAT year 1. That's what we expected with Cox.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The hole in Becker's resume is he's never recruited as an assistant or head coach at this level.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago The hole in Becker's resume is he's never recruited as an assistant or head coach at this level.
No, he hasn't but that is where the hire of his assistants would be crucial.

Look he can coach, have his team prepared and make the correct in-game adjustments.

Yeah, he wouldn't be my top choice but not a bad backup plan.
He probably won't even be interested.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I’ll probably be booed to oblivion here but I’d like take a run at Kimani Young. I’m not against Holloway either if you want an existing D1 coach.
I'm with you, Young would be on my short list to.

Why would you be booed about Kimani? He’s been brought up many times on here as a great option…
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING