David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The decision isn't 100% done, because there's one chance in hell we win the A10's.

Vegas says it's 100 to 1.....should be more like 10,000 to 1.

If Cox was fired Monday that would eliminate that possibility altogether.

Could you imagine if Bozeman took over and led us to the title?
No, I can't imagine that.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Pretty sure you said he should get a 3 year extension! Because he’s the best! And you’ve hired people before!
I said Thorr should have extended Cox's contract with a favorable buy-out provision for URI. It wouldn't hurt URI to have given Cox and extension with a $300K buy-out at any time as well as incentives for favorable team results. You NEVER want a coach to be in the final year of a contract. Of course you want to market your coaches favorably. Thorr killed recruiting and morale by not extending Cox as I have described.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Give a guy an extension who should be fired because you never want a coach to go into his last year without protection. How about producing like the rest of us have to do at our jobs? If they get a competent coach in here he will bring in some recruits and the way the transfer rule works now it is very easy to get new players aboard. In terms of who leaves I honestly don’t care if they started from scratch. I think it is absolutely crazy to give extensions and waste anymore money for a program that is challenged financially. What would the extension have accomplished? Everyone wants Cox gone!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Pretty sure you said he should get a 3 year extension! Because he’s the best! And you’ve hired people before!
I said Thorr should have extended Cox's contract with a favorable buy-out provision for URI. It wouldn't hurt URI to have given Cox and extension with a $300K buy-out at any time as well as incentives for favorable team results. You NEVER want a coach to be in the final year of a contract. Of course you want to market your coaches favorably. Thorr killed recruiting and morale by not extending Cox as I have described.
You’re keeping out the part where you said he’s a great coach because you have experience hiring people. I wish I worked for you. I would just do a shit job and you’d keep giving me a raise.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
You’re keeping out the part where you said he’s a great coach because you have experience hiring people. I wish I worked for you. I would just do a shit job and you’d keep giving me a raise.
And extensions, don't forget extensions
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Where did I say I was giving him a raise without improved results? Everything additional would be incentive based. What Thorr did killed recruiting and motivated no one,
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
72, I don't think so.
You can't justify giving him an extension after finishing 10th and going 10-15 (7-10)
He had every opportunity this season to prove himself and Thorr was more than fair with him.
His contract runs through next season, it wouldn't have had much of an impact on the 2021 recruits.

I think if there was a morale issue it was more because of losing than Cox's contract situation.
The extension I would have given Cox would have allowed termination even after this year by paying the same 300K buyout his current contract provided if team performance didn't improve. It is a recruiting problem if the HC is in the last 1-2 years of a contract. The best we have coming in next year is a 2* recruit. We are competing against Lehigh for recruits.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

72, I don't think so.
You can't justify giving him an extension after finishing 10th and going 10-15 (7-10)
He had every opportunity this season to prove himself and Thorr was more than fair with him.
His contract runs through next season, it wouldn't have had much of an impact on the 2021 recruits.

I think if there was a morale issue it was more because of losing than Cox's contract situation.
The extension I would have given Cox would have allowed termination even after this year by paying the same 300K buyout his current contract provided if team performance didn't improve. It is a recruiting problem if the HC is in the last 1-2 years of a contract. The best we have coming in next year is a 2* recruit. We are competing against Lehigh for recruits.
Even though I am not 100% sold on *'s, our recruitment has more to do with our staff's ability than the HC's contract situation, unless of course this was the final year of his contract. He didn't earn the extension last year.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Even though I am not 100% sold on *'s, our recruitment has more to do with our staff's ability than the HC's contract situation, unless of course this was the final year of his contract. He didn't earn the extension last year.
We agree that he didn't earn the extension last year, but URI was in no position to fire him and didn't.. So Cox was going to be our coach for another year. An extension paid him no more unless the team exceeded expectation, maintained the same buy-out as the old contract, and avoided the appearance to recruits of a coach on the way out the door.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

And the trap and the rope aw they work just fine got 10 more minutes to go
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Give this some thought as the URI league schedule ends at 5-12. Only Dambrot at Duquense will have lost more A-10 league games this season than David Cox. 12-22 in league play the past two seasons combined. The time has come to move on.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ECR right again

COX IS A PIECE OF PIE !
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin' "This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die"
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

See ya !

Bye
Bye
Bye
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

5 wins in one of the weakest A-10’s in my lifetime.

The decision was easy.

We are the second worst team in this conference - with a talent level in the top half.

This is a team that lacks discipline, leadership, cohesion, and plays a level of basketball that would be appropriate to expect in a CYO league.

Onto the next. Please get me Archie.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago 5 wins in one of the weakest A-10’s in my lifetime.

The decision was easy.

We are the second worst team in this conference - with a talent level in the top half.

This is a team that lacks discipline, leadership, cohesion, and plays a level of basketball that would be appropriate to expect in a CYO league.

Thorr must be compiling his short list as we speak
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Nine

More

Days

Thank god it’s conference championship week so I can entertain myself with other college bball
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

The decision was easy.

He hopefully has been working on it for the last SIX WEEKS.
4 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

It’s sad to see how far we have fallen…
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

The decision was easy.

He hopefully has been working on it for the last SIX WEEKS.
Hopefully for over a year
4 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The decision isn't 100% done, because there's one chance in hell we win the A10's.

Vegas says it's 100 to 1.....should be more like 10,000 to 1.
If you ever want proof the sports books are a mugs game, here it is.  A measley 100-1.  There is a better chance the Ramses statue comes to life and starts dropping solid granite sheep shits on the front lawn of the Union than this team winning the A10 tournament.  FOOH Vegas.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Vomit
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Any post game quotes yet? Here’s a pregame one.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Anybody else have a hard time seeing Thorr buy Cox out of the final year of his contract? I feel like he’s gonna give him one more year given we’re a state school from a tiny state. Rhode Island doesn’t exactly have a solid state budget. Not sure if that comes into play in this situation.
Just my initial thought.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago Anybody else have a hard time seeing Thorr buy Cox out of the final year of his contract? I feel like he’s gonna give him one more year given we’re a state school from a tiny state. Rhode Island doesn’t exactly have a solid state budget. Not sure if that comes into play in this situation.
Just my initial thought.
URI is basically a Private Public. The state has no say.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago Anybody else have a hard time seeing Thorr buy Cox out of the final year of his contract? I feel like he’s gonna give him one more year given we’re a state school from a tiny state. Rhode Island doesn’t exactly have a solid state budget. Not sure if that comes into play in this situation.
Just my initial thought.
From what i heard, though it may not be reliable David Cox won't make this easy he might not be as nice a guy as everyone portrays him to be
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Just my initial thought.
No.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Just my initial thought.
No.
No? The University is not a public private or the state has no say?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

No.
No, was the answer is the first SG question.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No.
The state contributes 8% of operating funds. 8%. I believe that is a minority interest.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The state contributes 8% of operating funds. 8%. I believe that is a minority interest.
Sorry Jeff, just misreading things. I see now.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Just my initial thought.
From what i heard, though it may not be reliable David Cox won't make this easy he might not be as nice a guy as everyone portrays him to be
In what way will he not make it easy though? If you get fired you're fired. What can he really do about it?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago

See it’s quotes like these that really make me angry at Cox , come on Cox you are better than that !!
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

No.

I mean URI is not remotely a "Private public" or "public private" but you're absolutely right that there is no mechanism for the state legislature or governor's office to directly make operational decisions at URI.
Last edited by Puck Frovidence 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just my initial thought.
Thorr fired Jim Baron when he had two years left on his contract and had to pay a $1.1M buyout amount. Cox has one year left with a buyout equal only to his base salary of approximately $300k. Cox is gone.

Here is some recent coaching change buyouts at URI in the past decade:

2012 - URI buys out Jim Baron at $1.1M
2018 - Dan Hurley buys out URI at $1.5M
2022 - URI buys out David Cox for $300k
7 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Just my initial thought.
Thorr fired Jim Baron when he had two years left on his contract and had to pay a $1.1M buyout amount. Cox has one year left with a buyout equal only to his base salary of approximately $300k. Cox is gone.

Here is some recent coaching change buyouts at URI in the past decade:

2012 - URI buys out Jim Baron at $1.1M
2018 - Dan Hurley buys out URI at $1.5M
2022 - URI buys out David Cox for $300k
Whoa so you're saying we're up by $100k? House money.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Just my initial thought.
Exactly. Every year that passes by without success further removes us from being a relevant program. As is we’re teetering on losing what we had from Hurley. Thorr is a smart guy, he knows its time to move on.

Also doesn’t take a genius to know finishing your season 2-11 and being in the play in game is not bad it’s embarrassing
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just my initial thought.
Won't make this easy? It was David Cox himself that absolutely made his firing easy. He will rightfully be fired for failing to meet even minimal expectations.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Just my initial thought.
lol what does that even mean? Is he going to blackmail Thorr? Throw a temper tantrum?
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Just my initial thought.
Won't make this easy? It was David Cox himself that absolutely made his firing easy. He will rightfully be fired for failing to meet even minimal expectations.
Well let's just hope it happens ASAP. I don't think anyone wants to see someone lose a job but he's grossly overpaid and will have no problem latching on to an assistant's job somewhere else.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well let's just hope it happens ASAP. I don't think anyone wants to see someone lose a job but he's grossly overpaid and will have no problem latching on to an assistant's job somewhere else.
Grossly overpaid? I think he is grossly underpaid even though he is grossly under performing.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Just my initial thought.
lol what does that even mean? Is he going to blackmail Thorr? Throw a temper tantrum?
Right is he all of a sudden going to turn on Thorr ?? Face it Cox your out in 10 or so days
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Also in terms of him "not being a nice guy"... can you blame him right now? He's having a very shitty time and finding out some very unpleasant truths about himself and his career. If he's been a bit of a bear lately I sort of understand that. He hasn't been a good head coach at URI but I seriously doubt he's going to be suddenly unmasked as like a super villain. Things didn't work out. It happens. People usually aren't sunshine and rainbow farts about it.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Grossly overpaid? I think he is grossly underpaid even though he is grossly under performing.
Grossly underpaid if he was winning and effective, grossly overpaid based on his job performance imo
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

This statement is so accurate. If we're serious, we need to dig deep for serious money. Getting cheap with staff not only encourages good people to leave, but I think on some level it helps encourage admins to tolerate mediocrity longer than we should, because "hey, JB sucks complete ass but he's a real bargain!" Paying more brings more serious talent and is a serious inducement against tolerating failure.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Grossly underpaid if he was winning and effective, grossly overpaid based on his job performance imo
Guy is making like $800k. Which is about $300K more than Penders made when he moved to Texas in 1989. You get what you pay. All I'm saying.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nah you can’t get off that easy with such a terrible take.

What have you heard? Cox is gonna fight back on being fired? He have blackmail on Thorr? What’s Cox gonna do?
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Guy is making like $800k. Which is about $300K more than Penders made when he moved to Texas in 1989. You get what you pay. All I'm saying.

Hahahahha yea, everybody gets paid the same in 2022 than they did in 1989.

Totally legitimate to compare coaches salaries from those two seasons. It’s definitely apples to apples.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hahahahha yea, everybody gets paid the same in 2022 than they did in 1989.

Totally legitimate to compare coaches salaries from those two seasons. It’s definitely apples to apples.
How much does Cooley make? How much did he get day one on his contract? As a coach from Fairfield? I'm sure more than Cox.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Nah you can’t get off that easy with such a terrible take.

What have you heard? Cox is gonna fight back on being fired? He have blackmail on Thorr? What’s Cox gonna do?
I’m totally lost with this take Gio… what do you mean ??
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago

See it’s quotes like these that really make me angry at Cox , come on Cox you are better than that !!
Actually he isn't. I didn't make up my sig tag. It's a direct quote from Coach Clueless.
1 x