3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 2:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/5 | Saint Joseph’s | 2:30PM (USA)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This game means a lot.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Down 7 why foul? Oh let’s put two big guys in.

This guy is trying to be fired
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hahahahahahahahahah
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

The twins are the two biggest idiots in all of sports.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Clown show.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

That last play basically sums up the entire David Cox era.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I legit feel bad for you guys. This is shitty ass college basketball and no one should have to watch it.
15 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The broadcast crew can't believe what they just saw. Sadly we all can.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Where’s Mommy Mitchell?
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Thank god we don't have to face Joe's on Wednesday.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Oh my god we are a joke. I feel bad to laugh but my god this is worst coached team I’ve watched since I’ve been a fan. I was a kid when Jerry D coached so I don’t really remember. Jim Baron would coach circles around Cox
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Thank god we don't have to face Joe's on Wednesday.
We're capable of losing to much worse teams.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

There we go. Right down the drain.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Oh my god we are a joke. I feel bad to laugh but my god this is worst coached team I’ve watched since I’ve been a fan. I was a kid when Jerry D coached so I don’t really remember. Jim Baron would coach circles around Cox
I feel like Jerry D was worse, mostly because he actually had some really talented players.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This was the worst college basketball game I remember watching. (Too young to remember jerry d games)
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

From 12-4 to finish at 14-15. Lost 11 of the last 13 regular season games. This coach and his players checked out long ago.
5 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Duquesne at 330 Wednesday
Richmond in the late game Thursday if they dont lose
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Where’s Mommy Mitchell?
She will be tweeting how Great Tim Duncan and David Robinson are next year to the Morgan State faithful
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Think of the silver lining here and that is we can fire this bumbling idiot of n alleged coach on Thursday instead of Friday.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Oh my god we are a joke. I feel bad to laugh but my god this is worst coached team I’ve watched since I’ve been a fan. I was a kid when Jerry D coached so I don’t really remember. Jim Baron would coach circles around Cox
Jim Baron looks like John wooden or Coach k next to David Cox. And he was a very nice guy too
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It had a real "rec basketball" feel, as nine different players scored for URI, but Martin led with only 11. I hope they all had fun out there.

There's pretty much no positives to take from this one, outside of some players clearly still giving a shit and playing hard. (Not that I fault the ones giving half-effort at this point; they're human.) Was St. Joe's down one or two normal starters? And we still lost by 10.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
She will be tweeting how Great Tim Duncan and David Robinson are next year to the Morgan State faithful
I actually think they will be back under the new coach , they are probably pissed off at Cox that they lost their starting job why would they transfer again ??
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Only 9 turnovers for the game but committed 4 in the last few minutes when trying to stage a comeback. Including 1 by Mitchell dribbling u the court and then threw a bounce ass at Walker'"s ankles that went out of bounds. Cox has allowed the twins to constantly do that all year and we all wonder WHY.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 years ago
I actually think they will be back under the new coach , they are probably pissed off at Cox that they lost their starting job why would they transfer again ??
Let’s hope so. I think they can succeed under the right system. Our guards and coach need to drastically improve next year if we want to be competitive again.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Mitchells shot 26% from the field (6/23). That'a a LOT of missed shots from very tall, athletic bigs in this league, against that team. Wow they're bad.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Mitchells shot 26% from the field (6/23). That'a a LOT of missed shots from very tall, athletic bigs in this league, against that team. Wow they're bad.
It's so sad. They are pretty much taller and more athletic than everyone in the league and they refuse to play to their strengths.

Gotta blame a lot of that on Cox

Like Makhel was way better last year. Cox is just throwing up his hands and letting them do whatever. Last year Makhel would at least try to post people up! He could hit a hook shot and everything. Every aspect of the team is an utterly disaster. We just continue to deteriorate on every level.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Mitchells shot 26% from the field (6/23). That'a a LOT of missed shots from very tall, athletic bigs in this league, against that team. Wow they're bad.
It's so sad. They are pretty much taller and more athletic than everyone in the league and they refuse to play to their strengths.

Gotta blame a lot of that on Cox

Like Makhel was way better last year. Cox is just throwing up his hands and letting them do whatever. Last year Makhel would at least try to post people up! He could hit a hook shot and everything. Every aspect of the team is an utterly disaster. We just continue to deteriorate on every level.
They definitely show talent at times just so darn undisciplined and poor foul shooters as well as turnover prone

Let’s hope the new coach can bring that talent out in them
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

The Mitchell's were 4 stars. They lasted 1 semester with Mark Turgeon and Maryland. I realize Turgeon doesn't have a stellar reputation and things have been said about him but 1 semester is a little much, Even though we're now in a culture where rejection or any failure or discipline can be tolerated . They visited PC. Whether you like Cooley or not , and I don't think he's Bobby Knight when it comes to discipline, he basically told them and Mama Mitchell what was going on and he would be in control. Evidently that wasn't acceptable for the young coddled kids. Cox, knowing he was way over his head would make concessions so he could win some games, salvaged his respect as a coach..
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The Mitchell's were 4 stars. They lasted 1 semester with Mark Turgeon and Maryland. I realize Turgeon doesn't have a stellar reputation and things have been said about him but 1 semester is a little much, Even though we're now in a culture where rejection or any failure or discipline can be tolerated . They visited PC. Whether you like Cooley or not , and I don't think he's Bobby Knight when it comes to discipline, he basically told them and Mama Mitchell what was going on and he would be in control. Evidently that wasn't acceptable for the young coddled kids. Cox, knowing he was way over his head would make concessions so he could win some games, salvaged his respect as a coach..
Right I’m sure Cooley is thanking his lucky starts he didn’t land the twins
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Wait A minute here . Regarding Cox : to be accurate I never said they should keep Cox just because of the recruits. What I actually said is I don't want to replace Cox with another marginally better coach that we have to live with for another 3-4 years . if we can get Archie Miller or an equivalent of
course make the change , but I don't want them to dump Cox , lose the recruits and end up with a guy who can coach ok but can't recruit any better than Cox because he is just another no name like Cox . Do all of you just want to change the coach for someone who will not be much better and can't recruit either . number one is getting great players . If you can't do that you won't do any better . And giovani I don't see the point of replacing Cox if it isn't
with an excellent coach and recruiter . If we can't get that why bother making the change until you can get that guy . If that guy is out there and wants to come by all means fire Cox yesterday.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I once again chose hanging outside in the So Cal sun while enjoying some tacos and beer instead of watching this game. It appears as though I made the right choice. One day closer to the end!
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Be prepared for a continued bumpy ride. There are going to be a lot more games like this for the next two seasons even with the new coach. There is not much talent here and there will likely also be a lot of turnover as is typically the case with a change. It will probably be year three under the next coach before you can expect a decent team.
4 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Now back to the thread . They might as well save their money and drop out of the A 10 tournament to save further embarrassment. They were as bad as the officiating today so might as well not complain about the ridiculous officiating today . too many atrocious calls to mention .
2 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

They TRIED to lose, but we wouldn't let them!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Be prepared for a continued bumpy ride. There are going to be a lot more games like this for the next two seasons even with the new coach. There is not much talent here and there will likely also be a lot of turnover as is typically the case with a change. It will probably be year three under the next coach before you can expect a decent team.
Disagree.

A decent coach has this team finishing in the top half of the league easily.
5 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Be prepared for a continued bumpy ride. There are going to be a lot more games like this for the next two seasons even with the new coach. There is not much talent here and there will likely also be a lot of turnover as is typically the case with a change. It will probably be year three under the next coach before you can expect a decent team.
With the transfer portal, though it is typically bad for a mid major successful program, it can really help out in this situation and make things a lot quicker. And there are a couple of components on this team that could certainly help if they were to stay and they have some coaching
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

This season has been rough.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Wait A minute here . Regarding Cox : to be accurate I never said they should keep Cox just because of the recruits. What I actually said is I don't want to replace Cox with another marginally better coach that we have to live with for another 3-4 years . if we can get Archie Miller or an equivalent of
course make the change , but I don't want them to dump Cox , lose the recruits and end up with a guy who can coach ok but can't recruit any better than Cox because he is just another no name like Cox . Do all of you just want to change the coach for someone who will not be much better and can't recruit either . number one is getting great players . If you can't do that you won't do any better . And giovani I don't see the point of replacing Cox if it isn't
with an excellent coach and recruiter . If we can't get that why bother making the change until you can get that guy . If that guy is out there and wants to come by all means fire Cox yesterday.
At this point I just want Cox gone , if Thorr makes another bad hire it’s on him and his leash will be short too
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Did anyone hear what was directed towards Shane? Stone mentioned St. Joe's fans directed something towards him but wouldn't repeat it
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Disagree.

I'm kind of in the mindset that coaches probably effect player performance less than people think. Meaning - I think the best coaches put players into a position to succeed, and the worst coaches focus way too much on a player's shortcomings, or try to jam a square peg into a round hole. Like, I doubt any coach would turn the Mitchells into disciplined, interior post presences that can nail free throws. Players kind of "default" to how they want to play naturally, which is why we suddenly don't have a guard attacking the basket regularly, even though we no longer have Fatts dribbling the ball a ton.

That being said though, Cox's strategy decisions and personnel choices make absolutely no sense either. I don't think he puts players into positions where they can succeed. I don't remember when Sheppard got benched for Thomas, but that was around game 25, and now is when he's decided to bench a Mitchell, when the season is already completely gone. The timeouts after made baskets make no sense. Leggett has badly regressed, El-Amin went from a solid guard at Ball State to completely passive at URI, Berry and Ayo-Faleye have now been on our roster for multiple years with almost 0 minutes played...

I don't think a new coach means that URI is among the top four in the league, because our guards were honestly awful this year. But we're probably slightly above .500 in league play at least. More to the point, in college basketball, the coach is also responsible for roster construction and retention, and we've been awful at that the past few years.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

10-15 last year. 14-15 this year. Good night and farewell to you ladies of spain.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Disagree.

I agree with this a good coach has us top 7 maybe in the 5-7 range definitely not 11th
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Disagree.

I agree with this a good coach has us top 7 maybe in the 5-7 range definitely not 11th
Then we need a new team as well as a new coach. 5-7 is mediocre.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago 10-15 last year. 14-15 this year. Good night and farewell to you ladies of spain.
Most wins first 4 years ever!
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Glad I didn't waste a second watching this 💩 show. And exultant that Cox managed to drive this jalopy straight into the ditch. Turning 12-4 into 14-15 is definitely having fun! Not competing but maybe pulling out a win every 10 games or so.

Look forward to changing my sig tag next season.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago 10-15 last year. 14-15 this year. Good night and farewell to you ladies of spain.
Most wins first 4 years ever!
If I hear that stat one more time I am gonna blow chunks !!
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Disagree.

I'm kind of in the mindset that coaches probably effect player performance less than people think. Meaning - I think the best coaches put players into a position to succeed, and the worst coaches focus way too much on a player's shortcomings, or try to jam a square peg into a round hole. Like, I doubt any coach would turn the Mitchells into disciplined, interior post presences that can nail free throws. Players kind of "default" to how they want to play naturally, which is why we suddenly don't have a guard attacking the basket regularly, even though we no longer have Fatts dribbling the ball a ton.

That being said though, Cox's strategy decisions and personnel choices make absolutely no sense either. I don't think he puts players into positions where they can succeed. I don't remember when Sheppard got benched for Thomas, but that was around game 25, and now is when he's decided to bench a Mitchell, when the season is already completely gone. The timeouts after made baskets make no sense. Leggett has badly regressed, El-Amin went from a solid guard at Ball State to completely passive at URI, Berry and Ayo-Faleye have now been on our roster for multiple years with almost 0 minutes played...

I don't think a new coach means that URI is among the top four in the league, because our guards were honestly awful this year. But we're probably slightly above .500 in league play at least. More to the point, in college basketball, the coach is also responsible for roster construction and retention, and we've been awful at that the past few years.
I think this kind of sums it up in terms of Cox being not only a terrible coach with X’s and O’s, player development and recruiting. Would another coach have done better with this team? No doubt the team would have been better, but there is just so little talent on this team it isn’t funny. The group of guards are awful and as mentioned the freshman who were on this team outside of Thomas and can’t even crack in the rotation on this below average team-might be Cox fault on this end of it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Makhel was 7-32 over the last two games. 32 shots from your center over two games is almost unheard of. There’s an old coach saying “you are open for a reason.”
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Makhel was 7-32 over the last two games. 32 shots from your center over two games is almost unheard of. There’s an old coach saying “you are open for a reason.”
Right that’s atrocious the one thing both twins should be is about 50 % from the floor cuz of their size 7-32 is a joke
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Makhel was 7-32 over the last two games. 32 shots from your center over two games is almost unheard of. There’s an old coach saying “you are open for a reason.”
He took 15 shots in 24 minutes today. He made 4. 💩
1 x