'22 NC/GA SF Nate Brafford (Georgia Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '22 NC/GA SF Nate Brafford (Offer)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I realize there is no current interest in our recruiting at this point, but I will still try to update.

Also, Fordham's top player and leading scorer Antonio Daye had opted to transfer to Coastal Carolina for 22-23.

Supposedly he's still visiting March 1st.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I realize there is no current interest in our recruiting at this point, but I will still try to update.

Also, Fordham's top player and leading scorer Antonio Daye had opted to transfer to Coastal Carolina for 22-23.

Supposedly he's still visiting March 1st.
Lots can happen by signing day April 13.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy it's nice of you to keep up with this.

He was one recruit I was excited about early on.

Our current situation makes it very confusing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

His team got eliminated in playoffs last week.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Nate and Chance will be at the game tomorrow night.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They will be easy to locate
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow both Chase and Nate would be something to get excited about
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How does this work if the head coach is canned in a week?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago How does this work if the head coach is canned in a week?
How does what work?

If Cox is fired, the new head coach will recruit who he wants, when he wants.

As for tonight, Cox is still the head coach, has a commit coming to the game, as well as one of his recruiting targets.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s a complex situation. Do recruits still want to commit knowing the guy recruiting them may very possibly be coaching elsewhere when they arrive?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago It’s a complex situation. Do recruits still want to commit knowing the guy recruiting them may very possibly be coaching elsewhere when they arrive?
All about keeping relationships.

Cox's relationship with Walker and Malik led them here.

If Cox gets hired at similar program like us next season, maybe Chance and/or Brafford follow him.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saw Bradford at the game. His dad is a big guy. About the same height but solidly built. He was taking pictures of Nate on the floor after the game
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Saw Bradford at the game. His dad is a big guy. About the same height but solidly built. He was taking pictures of Nate on the floor after the game
Nate and Chance were sitting side by side at the game.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Would be very surprised if either of these 2 come to URI once Cox is let go.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

More important to get the right coach in here though be nice to have both these kids
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

HoopsSeen.com: NATE BRAFFORD TALKS RHODE ISLAND VISIT

One of the most interesting prospects I have covered during my 15 years of high school basketball evaluation and recruiting has been Nathan Brafford of Rabun Gap (GA). I first saw Brafford when he was a freshman at Tuscola High School in Waynesville, North Carolina.

The 6-foot-8 prospect has the ability to score from all spots on the floor, handle the ball and rebound. He does it all. The wiry-framed guard can defend and drop defenders with his handle.

He took an official visit to Rhode Island starting yesterday and updated HoopSeen on his visit. "It was good, I really liked it. I’m not 100% sure if that staff will be there next year. They said they would know soon though. The coaches are awesome though so I hope it works out for us all."

Brafford holds offers from Rhode Island, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, Western Carolina, Florida Gulf Coast, Lehigh, Stetson and North Florida, where his parents played basketball.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago HoopsSeen.com: NATE BRAFFORD TALKS RHODE ISLAND VISIT

One of the most interesting prospects I have covered during my 15 years of high school basketball evaluation and recruiting has been Nathan Brafford of Rabun Gap (GA). I first saw Brafford when he was a freshman at Tuscola High School in Waynesville, North Carolina.

The 6-foot-8 prospect has the ability to score from all spots on the floor, handle the ball and rebound. He does it all. The wiry-framed guard can defend and drop defenders with his handle.

He took an official visit to Rhode Island starting yesterday and updated HoopSeen on his visit. "It was good, I really liked it. I’m not 100% sure if that staff will be there next year. They said they would know soon though. The coaches are awesome though so I hope it works out for us all."

Brafford holds offers from Rhode Island, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, Western Carolina, Florida Gulf Coast, Lehigh, Stetson and North Florida, where his parents played basketball.
I was told he would definitely sign here if Cox remains. We all know that isn't going to happen. I wish him well.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Brafford dropping probably the most inside info we've gotten yet on whether the staff will be back next year or not...
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

At least they were open with him.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With our luck, if he goes elsewhere he'll probably turn into the next Obi Toppin.......
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I wish I could trust our reports on recruits which recently have been wildly optimistic . If I knew these two players would be at URi next season and
the info on the recruits was accurate , I would like to see what the team could do with one more season of Cox because unless Archie Miller or Rick Pitino show up it may be a long time before two shooters arrive in Kingston , so i don't see the urgency to drop Cox and sign another no name coach . URI
on its own hasn't been a star magnet . Unless there is a proven coach who has been able to recruit at an A 10 level program and win then I would
vote to give Cox another season with his new potential stars .
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

luke wrote: 2 years ago I wish I could trust our reports on recruits which recently have been wildly optimistic . If I knew these two players would be at URi next season and
the info on the recruits was accurate , I would like to see what the team could do with one more season of Cox because unless Archie Miller or Rick Pitino show up it may be a long time before two shooters arrive in Kingston , so i don't see the urgency to drop Cox and sign another no name coach . URI
on its own hasn't been a star magnet . Unless there is a proven coach who has been able to recruit at an A 10 level program and win then I would
I am hoping this post was satire because if not then this post gets my vote for worst take of 2022. Sorry Luke.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

luke wrote: 2 years ago I wish I could trust our reports on recruits which recently have been wildly optimistic . If I knew these two players would be at URi next season and
Luke, I was patient with Cox and willing to give him a little longer leash than many on this board.
But I also felt that if we see another meltdown, all bets are off, which is what happened.

He had his chances to prove himself this season, also no significant injuries, but failed.

I certainly don't think these 2 raw recruits would make much of a difference next season.
Although I was very high on both, Nate would have probably redshirted, needing to spend time in the weight room and dinner table.

This team has been a total disappointment for me and at this time we need to move in a new direction.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This is 100% where I was when we were looking at a middle of the pack A10 finish. I think it was unfair in a way to rate this team against others in the conference returning 5th year seniors. HOWEVER, we went on to be fighting to stay out of the PIG, losing to crappy teams that are not going anywhere. Some of that is on the players (who can’t hit the broad side of a barn from the FT line) but a lot of that is on the coaching decisions, particularly at the end of games that we can’t close out because we have guys out there who can’t make shots.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Here we go again.. It's always the players that aren't playing that will be the new stars.

Listen, as I have said, I think Brafford could be a great player. He seems to have all the tools. But why the hell are we the only decent program that has offered him? Chance also has an excellent shot. But it's super low, and he'll need to drastically improve his handle if he's going to create any separation against D1 talent. IT DOESN'T MATTER!!! David Cox is a BAD head coach.

We hired Cox to keep players more talented than Nate Brafford and Chance Stephens. It would be a horrible mistake to keep this caliber of coach for ANY player.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lol ah yes, the “these recruits are the ones to bring us back!” Line.

Every single recruit the last 10 years has been a “potential star” to people here.

Jermaine Harris was going to be Patrick Ewing, Illeri was going to be DeAndre Bembry, Chance is going to be Steph Curry.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I wish I could trust our reports on recruits which recently have been wildly optimistic, If I knew these two players would be at URi next season and
the info on the recruits was accurate, I would like to see what the team could do with one more season of Cox because unless Archie Miller or Rick Pitino show up it may be a long time before two shooters arrive in Kingston, so i don't see the urgency to drop Cox and sign another no name coach. URI on its own hasn't been a star magnet. Unless there is a proven coach who has been able to recruit at an A 10 level program and win then I would
vote to give Cox another season with his new potential stars.*****

Fixed it for you. Ya get a little wild with that space bar
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Hey Stevie , you can't always go with what other teams think about a recruit ie. Obie toppin .He had virtually no national interest . Just believe what your own eyes tell you.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Hey Stevie , you can't always go with what other teams think about a recruit ie. Obie toppin .He had virtually no national interest . Just believe what your own eyes tell you.
You're bringing up like, the outlier of outliers, to justify your opinion though. Most guys don't turn into Obie Toppin. Most guys are Greg Hammond and somewhat accurately rated. The better recruiting sites, if you take your pick of players #1 to #20, you're probably going to have a better team than #21 to #40. You're going to have outliers positive (Toppin) and negative (Jermaine Harris).

Given what we've seen from Cox so far, I don't have a lot of faith that he's able to identify the diamonds in the rough, and even if he did have that scouting acumen, it doesn't seem to matter if he's the head coach. The best players on this year's team, for example, are four highly rated transfers (Mitchells, Carey and Walker), a transfer from a mid-major (Sheppard), and a sophomore that plays hard but has an incredibly disappointing season vs. potential shown last year (Leggett). So, the prospect of losing individual prospects like Brafford or Stephens doesn't really bother me, if it means moving on from Cox.
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I understand your point but my only point was if you have seen a lot of a recruit then what do your eyes tell you . forget the hype and forget what others think . sometimes fans actually get to see more of a player than the college coaches do . If there are fans of URI who have seen a lot of the two recruits
what do they say about them . And to your point about Cox , my feelings are : I'm not in love with Cox . If we can get a Archie Miller type name coach I
would totally agree and be on board with the change , but only to go with a more proven winner . Otherwise I am fearful if we just dump Cox and get
another unproven coach we will prolong this mediocrity a few more seasons . The new coach has to have a recruiting track record at an an 10 level
along with having a great win- loss record . Do you believe that any of the people you have named have played up to their ratings by the scouting
services ? The recruits want a name coach too . Even Hurley did not find it easy to get top flight recruits because URI does not have a big name.
Terrell only ended up at URI because of the coaching change at Oklahoma State . After him Hurley got no big time recruits other than Harris who didn't pan out . I guess I'm saying don't make a change just to make a change and if you can't do a lot better , be patient even if you have to go through another season . You can always make the change when you can get that special coach . don't give 3-4 years to another cox type or marginally better coach. If that is the situation i would rather see what these guys can get you before committing to 3-4 more years with that marginally better coach.
I wish we could know if these guys are for real . If they are then then Cox will have done a good job recruiting , but I'm a bit gun shy having gone through
all of the over hyping of URI recruits in the last few years.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s so much more important to get rid of Cox and get the new coach in here to see what he can do

If we lose a couple recruits so be it there’s no guarantees these guys are studs they may be but it’s a huge question mark
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

If they fire Cox we need someone who isn't going to just fill the shoes of Cox but someone we would want even if we already had a decent coach , not
just to be rid of Cox . If he is fired I hope they have already made contacts and have a real replacement in the wings . As they say 'Don't jump in the pool
unless you know there is water in it."
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

luke wrote: 2 years ago If they fire Cox we need someone who isn't going to just fill the shoes of Cox but someone we would want even if we already had a decent coach , not
just to be rid of Cox . If he is fired I hope they have already made contacts and have a real replacement in the wings . As they say 'Don't jump in the pool
unless you know there is water in it."
Yes so very important to get the next hire correct or we will just drift lower and lower in the league
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

luke wrote: 2 years ago I understand your point but my only point was if you have seen a lot of a recruit then what do your eyes tell you . forget the hype and forget what others think . sometimes fans actually get to see more of a player than the college coaches do . If there are fans of URI who have seen a lot of the two recruits
what do they say about them . And to your point about Cox , my feelings are : I'm not in love with Cox . If we can get a Archie Miller type name coach I
would totally agree and be on board with the change , but only to go with a more proven winner . Otherwise I am fearful if we just dump Cox and get
another unproven coach we will prolong this mediocrity a few more seasons . The new coach has to have a recruiting track record at an an 10 level
along with having a great win- loss record . Do you believe that any of the people you have named have played up to their ratings by the scouting
services ? The recruits want a name coach too . Even Hurley did not find it easy to get top flight recruits because URI does not have a big name.
Terrell only ended up at URI because of the coaching change at Oklahoma State . After him Hurley got no big time recruits other than Harris who didn't pan out . I guess I'm saying don't make a change just to make a change and if you can't do a lot better , be patient even if you have to go through another season . You can always make the change when you can get that special coach . don't give 3-4 years to another cox type or marginally better coach. If that is the situation i would rather see what these guys can get you before committing to 3-4 more years with that marginally better coach.
I wish we could know if these guys are for real . If they are then then Cox will have done a good job recruiting , but I'm a bit gun shy having gone through
all of the over hyping of URI recruits in the last few years.
What are you talking about man? Hurley got EC (top 100) and Hassan (top 150) within 6 months of getting the job. Jarvis Garrett, Stan and Kuran via transfer and then Cyril and Dowtin. Every one of those guys is better than anyone Cox recruited in his time as a HC. I can’t believe you are worried about us possibly being worse by making a change; we lost 9 of 10 and twice to GW and once to Fordham and are playing in the play in game. Like how much worse can it really get?
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

BAR I think you did not read my post clearly or possibly not all the way through . I said no big time recruits AFTER , I repeat AFTER TERRELL . EC and Hassan were before Terrell arrived . Jarvis was not a high recruit such as Terrell 4* or EC 4* he moved from 2* to 3* in his senior year in hs . The transfers of Stan and Kuran yes , but I was referring to recruits not transfers . My point was it was difficult , though Hurley was able to recruit major talent , so if we get another no name coach He will probably struggle the same as Cox as far as recruiting major talent . My other point was if it could be determined with reasonable certainty that Stevens and Braddford looked to be say 4* type recruits on the level of say EC or Terrell , would you want Cox gone anyway for a replacement not on the level of say Archie Miller or the like ? Or would it be better to wait to see what we've got in Stevens and Braddford if he comes . And to be clear I am certainly not comparing Cox recruiting to Hurley . Of course there is no comparison there , but my point is exactly that . Hurley came to URI with a big name which Cox did not and I worry that we might prolong the problem if they bring in another Cox no name type , get it ?
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Rhodyhoopz the key word in my post was IF IF IF IF we could trust reports on the two recruits . I am not saying we can and I am not saying we should give Cox another season . I said if and I realize it is a big big if concerning the level of the two recruits . Note that I said the information in the recent past has been wildly optimistic ( Short for extremely overrated ) and therefore are these recruits the real deal or just a case of overrating again ? Now
if they were legit and no big name coach becomes available to URI (Another big IF ) under those circumstances I would stand pat .Understand that I am
NOT suggesting that Cox has earned another chance and I am just as fed up with him as you are and everyone else . However , i wouldn't replace Cox
with just anyone and give him 3-4 years and forestall the rebuilding further . They need a big time coach ASAP , but I am willing to wait another year
for that big time coach if necessary to get the right guy . Understand ?
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Rhodyhoopz the key word in my post was IF IF IF IF we could trust reports on the two recruits . I am not saying we can and I am not saying we should give Cox another season . I said if and I realize it is a big big if concerning the level of the two recruits . Note that I said the information in the recent past has been wildly optimistic ( Short for extremely overrated ) and therefore are these recruits the real deal or just a case of overrating again ? Now
if they were legit and no big name coach becomes available to URI (Another big IF ) under those circumstances I would stand pat .Understand that I am
NOT suggesting that Cox has earned another chance and I am just as fed up with him as you are and everyone else . However , i wouldn't replace Cox
with just anyone and give him 3-4 years and forestall the rebuilding further . They need a big time coach ASAP , but I am willing to wait another year
for that big time coach if necessary to get the right guy . Understand ?
2 star recruits are a dime a dozen. Sure they might turn out great but we aren’t risking losing Top 100 players. It’s time to move on Luke
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

My fear is URI goes the route of Lasalle ,St.Joes , UMASS and fires a coach only to bring in a no name that they will have to fire two or three years later . And Fordham has spent over 15 years and coach after coach trying to become relevant again . Hopefully URI won't settle on another Assistant coach
or someone with minor success at a lower level . It is crucial that they get a big time guy who is momentarily available . They can't just replace Cox to
replace him . If they can't do that then I think patience is in order until someone more suitable is available . All we can do is hope they can find a great
coach who is ready and willing to come to Kingston now.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The problem is you have no idea which coaches will be available in future years, so you can't say we'll hold on to Cox for another year and there will be a better pool next year. Because you can't know or control the pool of candidates you'll be able to pursue in any given offseason, you make a decision on the guy you have come what may. Cox hasn't earned another year, so he needs to be fired and we need to make the best hire we can based on the candidates available this offseason
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

luke wrote: 2 years ago My fear is URI goes the route of Lasalle ,St.Joes , UMASS and fires a coach only to bring in a no name that they will have to fire two or three years later . And Fordham has spent over 15 years and coach after coach trying to become relevant again . Hopefully URI won't settle on another Assistant coach
or someone with minor success at a lower level . It is crucial that they get a big time guy who is momentarily available . They can't just replace Cox to
replace him . If they can't do that then I think patience is in order until someone more suitable is available . All we can do is hope they can find a great
coach who is ready and willing to come to Kingston now.
Fear of the unknown is never a good reason to justify retaining an option you know is subpar.
5 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

My response is make sure you can get a coach who is a major improvement otherwise you will be stuck with him for 3-4 years just as Lasalle is just as UMASS was just as St. Joes is . I think Lasalle probably regrets firing Giannini and that is not to say Cox is even at the level of a Giannini but the
grass isn't always greener no matter how bad you think Cox is .
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

luke wrote: 2 years ago My response is make sure you can get a coach who is a major improvement otherwise you will be stuck with him for 3-4 years just as Lasalle is just as UMASS was just as St. Joes is . I think Lasalle probably regrets firing Giannini and that is not to say Cox is even at the level of a Giannini but the
grass isn't always greener no matter how bad you think Cox is .
Nothing in life is guaranteed. Your motto of “only hire good people” doesn’t mean anything in practice.

You hire who you think can improve the program it’s really not that hard of a concept
Last edited by KingstonLane 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Honest question then. When and how would you ever make a coaching change then? No AD has ever said I'm going to fire my current coach AND hire a worse coach. Literally every firing has been with the idea that there will be an improvement in the program, and again, the AD has limited control in the process. They can't control who is available and they can't control bigger better programs coming over the top to snatch the guy they had in mind.

Let's say hypothetically that Thorr and Archie have had preliminary talks and Thorr has every reason to think a deal is pretty much done, just waiting for the season to end to wrap things up. But what happens if Thorr does everything right, has the right guy lined up, and Archie ends up with an offer he views as better? Do you keep Cox in that situation because you didn't get your guy? How many years do you let Cox fail waiting to make sure you get the exact right guy?

I mean we already know if we keep Cox, the best we can hope for next year is a mid pack or worse ranking in the A10, and this is coming off seasons where he finished 10th and 11th in the conference. At some point you have to jump
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s on Thorr to find the next stud coach , I have confidence he will get it right after missing on Cox
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Okay Rhodyram02 . So you would give a guy a 3-4 year contract even though he has a less than stellar track record and you would be okay with URI finishing 9th then 8 then 7th and then 7th again instead of going with a name coach in a year or two . So with Cox you go 9th and 8th, hire the name guy and go 7th 4th and 2nd . would that make you happier than going 9th , 8th , 7th and 7th as a hypothetical ? look what has happened with Lasalle, St. Joes and UMASS since they made their coaching changes and went with no name coaches . How do you think their fan baes are feeling about those hirings right about now ? And Reef , I will find it difficult to put all my faith in Thorr if he is unable to attract a coach with a pedigree .
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

luke, this isn't the hill you want to die on. Cox has proven he is not the guy. Thorr cannot look donors and season ticket holders in the eye and say we extended Cox because we couldn't land Archie. That would lead to people not renewing their tickets and donors pulling support. I know I'm not a whale, and my wife and I only donate some thousands each year but if Cox is retained, we don't give another penny and we won' renew our season tickets. This is the breaking point.
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

reef wrote: 2 years ago It’s on Thorr to find the next stud coach , I have confidence he will get it right after missing on Cox
This makes no sense- Thorr missed on Cox. What gives you confidence that he can make a good hire? I hope he can, but I am certainly not confident. The program is a lot worse off than when Cox was given the keys.
0 x