Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Tom Crean can coach and probably would be very successful here.
I am sure he can close on some high-profile recruits.

Only issue is many feel he comes across a little arrogant and are turned off.
Idk he seems more "fake" than arrogant to me.
Either way (similar) he rubs some people the wrong way.

Like I said his brother-n-law (Jim Harbaugh) can help out with our football team, just kidding.
I would be on board with Crean he may successful at a place like URI he has won at a high level previously

Archie
Langel
Crean

3 guys I wouldn’t mind if Thorr has them on his short list
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Whoever we hire, must have the ability and connections to utilize the transfer portal effectively. This is a MUST HAVE quality. Clearly, recruiting quality high school players who can easily leave after the freshman year, is likely a losing strategy in today's environment.,

In our situation, a coach well connected and familiar with our level players should be the top priority. I am skeptical of any lower level head coach has the knowledge and connections with the 3 and 4 star players we need to go after. After all, he likely has been concentrating on 2 star players and likely does not have the kind of AAU connections or the basketball Prep Schools connections.

So, there would be a major learning curve and his coaching qualities could easily be lost without the talent.

That is the reason that I am skeptical of a Towson or Vermont type head coach. Frankly, I consider an experienced assistant at a major program (eg Kyle Neptune) would be more successful on the transfer portal that the experienced small school and knowledgeable small school competent head coach.

To me, success on the transfer portal is really "the green fees" for success. Without that quality, we would likely be redoing this thread in a few years.
I actually don't think that Cox has done horrible with the transfer portal. The Mitchells can play, Carey has obvious talent, Betrand wasn't great, but still. It's more that players haven't improved once they're on our roster, and outside of Ish Leggett's freshman year, he hasn't brought in high school talent for the A-10 level.

I'm not especially impressed with the job Skerry has done at Towson, but with Vermont, it's not like Becker is running some weird system there that won't work at a higher level. Vermont wins some games OOC every year - it's not an Iona with Cluess situation. By the way, Vermont should make certain posters here ecstatic. ;) They have two high school players from Rhode Island, and they shoot 75 percent from the line, good for 61st in the nation.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Whoever we hire, must have the ability and connections to utilize the transfer portal effectively. This is a MUST HAVE quality. Clearly, recruiting quality high school players who can easily leave after the freshman year, is likely a losing strategy in today's environment.,

In our situation, a coach well connected and familiar with our level players should be the top priority. I am skeptical of any lower level head coach has the knowledge and connections with the 3 and 4 star players we need to go after. After all, he likely has been concentrating on 2 star players and likely does not have the kind of AAU connections or the basketball Prep Schools connections.

So, there would be a major learning curve and his coaching qualities could easily be lost without the talent.

That is the reason that I am skeptical of a Towson or Vermont type head coach. Frankly, I consider an experienced assistant at a major program (eg Kyle Neptune) would be more successful on the transfer portal that the experienced small school and knowledgeable small school competent head coach.

To me, success on the transfer portal is really "the green fees" for success. Without that quality, we would likely be redoing this thread in a few years.
See, I don't know if I agree with that 100%. What I would counter with is that they need to have the ability to bring in ASSISTANTS who have those connections and the ability to utilize the portal.
Dan was a unique situation, in that his first class he brought in two guys that he coached in high school. But if you think of his original staff with Carr, and Bobby, he had guys that were well connected in the NJ/PHI area to bring in guys like Jarrelle and Biggie.

A lot of LM and Mid Major schools will get involved with 3 and 4 star guys as early as possible, knowing that they probably wont land them in hopes of building a relationship incase they do end up dropping down.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

See, I don't know if I agree with that 100%. What I would counter with is that they need to have the ability to bring in ASSISTANTS who have those connections and the ability to utilize the portal.
Dan was a unique situation, in that his first class he brought in two guys that he coached in high school. But if you think of his original staff with Carr, and Bobby, he had guys that were well connected in the NJ/PHI area to bring in guys like Jarrelle and Biggie.

A lot of LM and Mid Major schools will get involved with 3 and 4 star guys as early as possible, knowing that they probably wont land them in hopes of building a relationship incase they do end up dropping down.
Yes, a HC that can put together a strong staff.
The assistants will primarily be responsible for recruiting in identifying the talent whether it be in the portal or prep ranks.
Also, player development, scouting, and help in game planning.

The HC needs to be able to seal the deal, on the recruits.

Most important he needs to know how to manage the game and make the correct adjustments.

Yes, getting a "splash hire" would be great and probably move the needle a little faster.
But I am also okay with an up-and-comer that has been successful and shown to have the ability to grow the program.

Not to say I wouldn't take a chance on a strong assistant like Young, but a little more risk.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I actually don't think that Cox has done horrible with the transfer portal. The Mitchells can play, Carey has obvious talent, Betrand wasn't great, but still. It's more that players haven't improved once they're on our roster, and outside of Ish Leggett's freshman year, he hasn't brought in high school talent for the A-10 level.

I'm not especially impressed with the job Skerry has done at Towson, but with Vermont, it's not like Becker is running some weird system there that won't work at a higher level. Vermont wins some games OOC every year - it's not an Iona with Cluess situation. By the way, Vermont should make certain posters here ecstatic. ;) They have two high school players from Rhode Island, and they shoot 75 percent from the line, good for 61st in the nation.
Transfer Portal. Judging how a coach does in the Portal should include both who he loses and who he brings in.
Makhi, Makhel, El-Amin, Betrand, Carey do not offset the losses of Tyrese Martin, Jacob Toppin and Fatts Russell. Give me a choice between the incoming and the outgoing and I take Martin, Toppin and Russell hands down. And I wouldn't call Carey an obvious talent. Struggled with turnovers at Syracuse led to his removal as starter and ultimate transfer and he still struggles with turnovers. Carey looks good at times compared to who we have at the guards. Overall Transfer Portal recruiting and retention - below average.

Freshmen. Cox has lost players to graduation highlighted by Jeff Dowtin who is doing great in the G-League, could be in the NBA one day. Incoming freshmen Samb. Illeri, Berry...........instead of Mathews, Dowtin, Russell, Terrell, Robinson, Langevine, Tyrese Martin, Toppin, Iverson caliber players we are now getting excited about Brafford and Stephens - 2 star players and look at the other schools they have offers from. We are fishing in a different pond from 4,5,6 years ago. Overall Freshmen recruiting - well below average.

Development. Jermaine Harris didn't develop in fact regressed. Why was he out at the 3 point line defending guards and picking up fouls? Why was he shooting 3 point shots on offense? He had some games like vs St Bonaventure that were solid, but many games that were not and he didn't improve. Makhi and Makhel show skills in rebounding, blocking shots, passing, shooting yet they are also out at the 3 point line playing defense, playing out of control at times. Both do not block out well on defensive and especially on eh important offensive boards - fundamentals are lacking. Imagine how they would rebound if they had better coaching that emphasized playing within themselves and boxing out on the boards? Overall player development - below average.

Overall Recruiting. Cox may get credit for being a great recruiter by some here. I could agree if we are talking about the Hurley years but even then I now have my own greater doubts that it might have been more Hurley bringing that talent than it was Cox. I have been underwhelmed with the recruiting here the past 4 years. Even many of the players we whiffed on have not been ver impressive where they ultimately chose to go. I could name many who I said glad we didn't end up with hm. We just do not have the horses we had under Harrick or Hurley - not in the starting line up and not on th bench. Under Baron, maybe, but the talent level has dropped a lot. Overall recruiting - well below average.

Playing time management, discipline consistency and confidence building. Playing a 9 man rotation in March is too many. Look at St Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton, Richmond, VCU, UCONN, URI WBB....they narrow the rotation down to 5 (as in St Bonaventure and Davidson) or 6 or 7. Here we are still with a rotation of 9. Guys are pulled when they make a mistake and someone takes their place (not for all 9 players but for most of the 9). Some players get yelled at and disciplined some don't. Warm up drills look like a country club, joking around, taking shots from half court (been that way for 4 years). Many teams are now playing their best players 37-40 minutes per game. Our top minutes per game guys are 27-29. Too many guys (9) sharing minutes as we go into Tournament - "1 loss and go home" - "do or die time". It's like we still have not decided who the best 5 players are in March. Guys can't get comfortable or confident because nobody gets 38 minutes per game - not even the best 2 or 3 - whoever those 2 or 3 are which is part of the problem - we don't know. Time management - well below average.

Becker. As for Vermont I was not impressed with Justin Mazzulla at GW. He couldn't keep a starting spot at GW and went to Vermont. Wasn't too impressed with him when I saw him play at Hendricken. I don't know who you mean by a 2nd RI player on Vermont - I only know of Mazzula. I would want to aim higher than Becker - I don't want him at URI. Vermont plays in a glorified High School Gym on campus. I was at a game there this year and they didn't even serve concessions because of Covid. Nothing. You could only get drinks out of a vending machine. We need a HC from a high level program, even if an assistant like Kyle Neptune or Kim English. No Beckers, no Grassos. This program needs a complete overhaul. I'd expect huge turnover in personnel by September.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

One other thought: coaches at URI have a low assistant pool. Cox was unable to afford his top pick a few years ago. That's one of the reasons he has the staff he has.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Everyone wins at Vermont. Culture or coach?
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe question how a HC utilizes his Assistant Coaches. Does he develop them? Does he give them individual responsibilities? Does he micromanage them as in a controlling way? Does he turn down the recruits that they offer up? Only questions. It's not only about the size of the money pool.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Everyone wins at Vermont. Culture or coach?
Only three coaches have brought them to the NCAAs, so I wouldn't say everyone wins at Vermont.

Tom Brennan - 3 times
Lonergan - 1 time
Becker - 3 times

Longeran also went to the NCAAs at GW, won an NIT title as well. He proved a Vermont coach can win at an A10 school.
2 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Maybe question how a HC utilizes his Assistant Coaches. Does he develop them? Does he give them individual responsibilities? Does he micromanage them as in a controlling way? Does he turn down the recruits that they offer up? Only questions. It's not only about the size of the money pool.
……..yes, examples, under DH we would often here the radios guys taking about who was the designed scout for a given game……..and that Asst coach would often occupy seat “2” near in ear shot of DH roaming……..I have noticed of late TJ kinda doing this now…….just observations…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Current NET for America East

Not exactly difficult to get the AQ NCAA Bid playing where the 2nd place NET is 230 and UNH
NET
68 Vermont
230 New Hampshire
233 Stony Brook
234 Maryland Baltimore County
245 UMass Lowell
281 Albany
284 Hartford
294 Binghamton
330 NJIT
353 Maine
2 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Becker has been at UVM 11 years and this will now be his 7th regular season championship... You can question whether he will be able to step up his recruiting to match the A10 talent but that's a dominate stretch no matter what way you slice it.
1 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Maybe question how a HC utilizes his Assistant Coaches. Does he develop them? Does he give them individual responsibilities? Does he micromanage them as in a controlling way? Does he turn down the recruits that they offer up? Only questions. It's not only about the size of the money pool.
……..yes, examples, under DH we would often here the radios guys taking about who was the designed scout for a given game……..and that Asst coach would often occupy seat “2” near in ear shot of DH roaming……..I have noticed of late TJ kinda doing this now…….just observations…….
Each Coach is different. Many coaches will rotate the scout between 2 or even all 3 assistants. That's what Dan did. One things that seems to happen more frequently is to have a coach in charge of offense, and a coach in charge of defense. Each would do a scout on their half of the ball for every opponent. Really depends on the staff and the head coaches preference.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Becker. As for Vermont I was not impressed with Justin Mazzulla at GW. He couldn't keep a starting spot at GW and went to Vermont. Wasn't too impressed with him when I saw him play at Hendricken. I don't know who you mean by a 2nd RI player on Vermont - I only know of Mazzula. I would want to aim higher than Becker - I don't want him at URI. Vermont plays in a glorified High School Gym on campus. I was at a game there this year and they didn't even serve concessions because of Covid. Nothing. You could only get drinks out of a vending machine. We need a HC from a high level program, even if an assistant like Kyle Neptune or Kim English. No Beckers, no Grassos. This program needs a complete overhaul. I'd expect huge turnover in personnel by September.
Ramster I am not quite as down on Becker as you are.
Granted he is not one of my top choices, but the man can flat out coach.

Much would depend on the staff he would assemble.
Would they be able to recruit the talent necessary to successfully compete in the A10?

His Vermont team this season beat a very good Northern Iowa team, also wins against Yale and App. State.
They also beat a good Colgate team coached by Langel.

The last few years they beat the Bonnies twice in a row there and also St. John's twice in NYC.
Not very long ago they barely lost to #4 ranked Kentucky by only 4 pts in Lexington.

I do agree with you about Grasso, not a huge fan.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Current NET for America East

Not exactly difficult to get the AQ NCAA Bid playing where the 2nd place NET is 230 and UNH
NET
68 Vermont
230 New Hampshire
233 Stony Brook
245 UMass Lowell
281 Albany
284 Hartford
294 Binghamton
330 NJIT
353 Maine
So Becker builds a program that is head and shoulders above the rest and it gets used as a detractor? If anything, this shows Becker has the ability to build a program so good that it becomes an outlier from the rest of the conference.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Becker can obviously coach at the level he's at and is deserving of an opportunity at a higher level. You don't go 254-101, ten 20+ win seasons, 3 tournament bids just based on "culture". If it was just about culture, than why couldn't David Cox win at a high level while maintaining the culture Hurley established here at URI? Because Cox is a shit coach. Culture only gets you so far if you can't coach.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
Becker can obviously coach at the level he's at and is deserving of an opportunity at a higher level. You don't go 254-101, ten 20+ win seasons, 3 tournament bids just based on "culture". If it was just about culture, than why couldn't David Cox win at a high level while maintaining the culture Hurley established here at URI? Because Cox is a shit coach. Culture only gets you so far if you can't coach.
Could be one or the other or both. Also it’s a conference of all mid 200 to 300 Net teams except Vermont.
Knowing the decision we make is likely a 4 year commitment I’d want to aim higher than Becker.

Blu Man has it right with Archie.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
100% this. Assistants need to recruit. Head coaches close.

Assistants need to scout games. Head coaches need to make game plans.

Assistants need to develop specific skills in players. Head coaches need to identify what those are.

Assistants are so critical to the success of a basketball program.

Hurley knew this, and excels at this - it’s why he’s successful, and why he was so hyper focused on increasing our assistant coaches pool to keep them around.

This was Cox’s biggest shortcoming. He hired poorly and delegated worse.

He never made the pivot from “promises” to “decisions” and we have all paid the price.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Current NET for America East

NET
68 Vermont
230 New Hampshire
233 Stony Brook
245 UMass Lowell
281 Albany
284 Hartford
294 Binghamton
330 NJIT
353 Maine
Yea, but do you know how hard it is getting a NET of 68 playing that league schedule?
5 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Could be one or the other or both. Also it’s a conference of all mid 200 to 300 Net teams except Vermont.
Knowing the decision we make is likely a 4 year commitment I’d want to aim higher than Becker.

Culture is established by winning. You can't have a good culture without winning. Good coaches win.

As for Archie, of course we all want him. Go back and check the post history, I'm pretty sure I was the first one to suggest him this past Fall.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Why bring up Crean?? He is like a month away from being out of coaching or never sniffing P5 basketball again. I just hope they get it right and don’t care who. The Archie Miller love here is too much. We past them while he was at Dayton and he jumped ship. Then he couldn’t cut it.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Steve Lavin
Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

All names we should consider. We aren’t getting Archie Miller.
I played high school basketball in RI and graduated from URI. I also coached little league baseball. How come I'm not on that list?
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Culture is established by winning. You can't have a good culture without winning. Good coaches win.

As for Archie, of course we all want him. Go back and check the post history, I'm pretty sure I was the first one to suggest him this past Fall.
Yep.
And if not Archie then search outside of New England and past URI connections like Grasso, Becker, Skerry, etc

Plenty of up and coming assistants at P6 schools. Assistants who are experienced scouring the Transfer prospects, maybe recruited them precious and are in contact with them even before their name hits the portal. Assistants who have attended the AAU tournaments and recruited big name players.

Think Big. A ton riding on this decision.
Some of the best performing stocks are the relatively unknown ones.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Why bring up Crean?? He is like a month away from being out of coaching or never sniffing P5 basketball again. I just hope they get it right and don’t care who. The Archie Miller love here is too much. We past them while he was at Dayton and he jumped ship. Then he couldn’t cut it.
More like 10 days away from being fired at UGA.

Why would he have to be out of coaching?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I think some of us shrug at the idea of Tom Crean but he would absolutely be a slam dunk. Easy second to Archie.

Him sucking at UGA means nothing. I just watched them live, they are well coached just severaly undermanned with transfer and injury issues. And coaches just go to UGA to die.

Dude went to a final four, 5 NCAA's, 3 NIT's in 9 years at Marquette. The one year he didn't take them to the postseason they still had a winning record in conference and overall.

In 9 years at Indiana he rebuilt them went to 4 NCAA's, 3 sweet 16's and an NIT.

Like he would come here and win. 100% slam dunk we will go dancing multiple years hire.
Tom Crean can coach and probably would be very successful here.
I am sure he can close on some high-profile recruits.

Only issue is many feel he comes across a little arrogant and are turned off.
He's a complete jag-bag.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

I played high school basketball in RI and graduated from URI. I also coached little league baseball. How come I'm not on that list?
BillyBoy...I'm willing to listen. Make your case. Gimme the high school playing career and little league coaching details.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

As long as he brings that suit and shoes! Guy already has a Keaney blue wardrobe.

(But no, not hiring a D2 coach to a top mid major league.)
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

To be clear, I'd still favor Archie Miller over Becker. But I'd also favor Becker - or that guy from New Mexico, or anyone else with an established record of winning at a D1 program - over an assistant coach at this point. Nothing spurs more excitement in a program than, you know, winning.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox was hired on the cheap, and the assistant pool was the same......

Yes Cox's salary would have been bumped up if he had succeeded....would the assistant pool have been also?

I'm sure the folks at URI were thrilled at least at the beginning when Cox was hired, that they had a staff that cost a lot less than Hurley and staff would have.....but it all backfired in their face when it turned out Cox and staff couldn't cut it.

Now they have no choice but to pay the piper......if they continue to cheap things out, the same shit will repeat itself.

My only fear is, will the boosters be in on it....because they have to if there's any chance to turn things around.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

10 Years ago today, Jim Baron was fired.
4 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago 10 Years ago today, Jim Baron was fired.
I was at my house in Pettaquamscutt when my mom called me with the news. It was a Sunday. My roommates and I were in the car, going to brunch recovering from a hangover and a half.

I jumped out of the moving vehicle. I danced in the street. It was fun to have hope again.

Dear God give me that feeling again please.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Two coaches mentioned in this thread.

0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
As long as he brings that suit and shoes! Guy already has a Keaney blue wardrobe.
Nate Oats was a high school coach when he was hired by Buffalo. Look at him now. All done in the last 4-6 years.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Let's not take the exception and apply it as the rule, or even slightly indicative of the norm.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago
Nate Oats was a high school coach when he was hired by Buffalo. Look at him now. All done in the last 4-6 years.
Nate was a high school coach when he was hired to be an assistant at Buffalo. His path has been quick- two years as an assistant at Buffalo, four years as the main guy, now in his third year at Alabama- but not that direct. Dan went from high school to college head coach, but that path is pretty rare.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Let's not take the exception and apply it as the rule, or even slightly indicative of the norm.
Yes, but he was an assistant at Buffalo for 2 years under Hurley.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Let's not take the exception and apply it as the rule, or even slightly indicative of the norm.
Yes, but he was an assistant at Buffalo for 2 years under Hurley.
Becoming an assistant coach is COMPLETELY different than a head coach, as we’ve seen first hand with Cox.
0 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

Nate was a high school coach when he was hired to be an assistant at Buffalo. His path has been quick- two years as an assistant at Buffalo, four years as the main guy, now in his third year at Alabama- but not that direct. Dan went from high school to college head coach, but that path is pretty rare.
Correct. There tend to be exceptions to rules when your dad is one of two high school coaches in the national hall of fame and you've grown up around basketball the way Coach Hurley had.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Correct. There tend to be exceptions to rules when your dad is one of two high school coaches in the national hall of fame and you've grown up around basketball the way Coach Hurley had.
His name and background have absolutely given him opportunities others might not have received. He still had to go out there and do it, though. Success was not a sure thing. I see some names dismissed here that have had more college success than he did before 2012. Also, most guys who want to end up as college head coaches stay involved in the college game. They don’t go coach in high school for 9 years. It’s a unique path.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

His name and background have absolutely given him opportunities others might not have received. He still had to go out there and do it, though. Success was not a sure thing. I see some names dismissed here that have had more college success than he did before 2012. Also, most guys who want to end up as college head coaches stay involved in the college game. They don’t go coach in high school for 9 years. It’s a unique path.
Absolutely. I think my comment made it sound as if I felt Hurley was "entitled" to the position, and I absolutely don't think that's the case. His pedigree has certain advantages, but it appears he's used those advantages to learn the game, improve his knowledge and get to the point he's at now.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Absolutely. I think my comment made it sound as if I felt Hurley was "entitled" to the position, and I absolutely don't think that's the case. His pedigree has certain advantages, but it appears he's used those advantages to learn the game, improve his knowledge and get to the point he's at now.
No, I get you. Privilege absolutely exists, it’s what a person does with it that matters.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

No, I get you. Privilege absolutely exists, it’s what a person does with it that matters.
Privilege? You think a Jersey guy who made his way as a high school coach makes his kids privileged? I think it makes them work for what they want. But that's just me.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

100% this. Assistants need to recruit. Head coaches close.

Assistants need to scout games. Head coaches need to make game plans.

Assistants need to develop specific skills in players. Head coaches need to identify what those are.

Assistants are so critical to the success of a basketball program.
I agree with these points you made regarding assistants. This is true for MBB and WBB. I think you can get more out of your Assistant Coach pool by using them with both programs. Most assistants are not going to excel at all these tasks.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

:lol:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Tom Crean (potentially)
Jimmy Baron
Joe Mazzulla
Tyson Wheeler
Preston Murphy
Luke Murray

BillyBoy...I'm willing to listen. Make your case. Gimme the high school playing career and little league coaching details.
What about me? I played CYO ball in the early 80s.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago :lol:

I was player-coach of one of my frat's intramural teams. Pretty sure that counts as collegiate experience?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago :lol:

I was player-coach of one of my frat's intramural teams. Pretty sure that counts as collegiate experience?
Sounds good let’s get 208, 123 and 78 on the next staff !!
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/lama ... ball-coach

How do we see this playing out???
Discussed several pages back - The article you posted is from Feb. 23, so this isn't fresh news. The general consensus was "please god no," with a couple outliers arguing that it could be good for publicity purposes.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/lama ... ball-coach

How do we see this playing out???
Discussed several pages back - The article you posted is from Feb. 23, so this isn't fresh news. The general consensus was "please god no," with a couple outliers arguing that it could be good for publicity purposes.
Exactly. 99.5 % this is not happening
0 x