3/2 | Saint Louis | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 3/2 | Saint Louis | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am so tired of tuning in to watch guys clunk wide open 3s while every other team we play seemingly has multiple guys who can hit these shots…it’s been a problem for years. Don’t get me f’ing started on the FTs!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Our PA announcer is an EMBARRASSMENT.
He thinks he's Paul Porter (also an embarrassment)
Dan Yorke has been doing this for a long time at URI.

Did he do something specific last night that was extreme or just overall impression?

Here is a survey that was done on KB 5years ago on him when Hurley was here:

viewtopic.php?p=306473&hilit=dan+yorke#p306473
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I am so tired of tuning in to watch guys clunk wide open 3s while every other team we play seemingly has multiple guys who can hit these shots…it’s been a problem for years. Don’t get me f’ing started on the FTs!
Unfortunately, we haven't recruited any proficient shooters.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Jalen Carey proved once again he’s the most physically talented guard by far on this team.

Should’ve been starting over Leggett or El Ahmin the entire season.
…….agreed, if he had not been a human turn over machine last year, he probably would have been…….I know the Legget fans will disagree, but he has been underwhelming…….also EA, except for a game here/there……
Carey had the worst +- for both teams last night at -15

Carey was 1-4 FTs vs Duquesne and 0-3 FTs last night for 1-7 last two games. Rhody22 is going to DC next week to work with the team on FTs.

Walker was 2nd worst for URI at -9. Walker only played 14 minutes because he picked up 4 fouls quickly. He finally got the starting opportunity from Cox but unfortunately went scoreless and got into foul trouble.

El-Amin also picked up 4 fouls fast and played only 12 minutes after having a good game vs Duquesne.
04A07301-2D9A-4B10-81D6-F7F1A4C22F3B.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Governor in attendance and all. Maybe hell pitch in for the next HC.
C675E519-3038-4EED-982A-2651F978E68D.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago Was anyone there tonight? Reported attendance 5735, actual attendance about 1324?

My late teenage years were the DeGregorio era...

My late 20s gave the end of us being emBARONsing era (Baron's first year was my freshman year and I thought we were going to dance that year)

My late 30s gave us whatever the FUCK we just saw happen this year.

TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!

CUT BAIT!!!!

I'm a March baby and an Aires/RAM = give us all a gift, Thor!!
5,735? Not close.

I’d guess it was half that. Wonder if people bought tix to Senior Night (like I did) thinking early in the season it would be vs St Louis only to learn late that Senior night was Duquesne on Saturday.

Student section more that the last game or two.

Lots of recognition at halftime for students, court was full. That could have also drawn physical bodies in seats as family and friends coming for that.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

So we had a guy who scored 6 of the first 10 points never score again and only take 1 more shot. Granted he got in foul trouble but come on.

I am so glad i didnt watch this game. 3-16? how do you let someone take that many shots
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago Was anyone there tonight? Reported attendance 5735, actual attendance about 1324?

My late 20s gave the end of us being emBARONsing era (Baron's first year was my freshman year and I thought we were going to dance that year)

TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!

CUT BAIT!!!!

There were hundreds of student athletes who got honored for making the dean's list so it was not an empty house.
Yup. The Greek Week style attendance bump like we saw against Richmond
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago So we had a guy who scored 6 of the first 10 points never score again and only take 1 more shot. Granted he got in foul trouble but come on.

I am so glad i didnt watch this game. 3-16? how do you let someone take that many shots
If he is hitting them I would, not in this case.
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago “I just thought the energy we finished the last game with, was with that group, so I wanted to continue with that energy,” Cox said.

This is such weak language. Please let’s all move on from this and pretend it never even happened.
There was a follow up question about hoping it sparked their performance and he said there was some merit to that thinking. "Gotta try everything at this point don't I"
1 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Our PA announcer is an EMBARRASSMENT.

Did he do something specific last night that was extreme or just overall impression?

what happened? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary last night. I think he does a nice job.
0 x
:lol:
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago So we had a guy who scored 6 of the first 10 points never score again and only take 1 more shot. Granted he got in foul trouble but come on.

Before this year there was someone considerably smaller who would regularly post lines like that. Starting to think coaching might be the problem...(/s if that wasn't obvious)
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I am so tired of tuning in to watch guys clunk wide open 3s while every other team we play seemingly has multiple guys who can hit these shots…it’s been a problem for years. Don’t get me f’ing started on the FTs!
Unfortunately, we haven't recruited any proficient shooters.
It’s been a problem for a very long time - we were spoiled when Terrell fixed his shot by his junior year, Jeff working his ass off and becoming a really good shooter. We need to recruit guys who have a high level of shooting ability from high school, or at least mix some guys like that onto the team. You can’t expect that guys are just going to develop into good shooters.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!

CUT BAIT!!!!

5,735? Not close.

I’d guess it was half that. Wonder if people bought tix to Senior Night (like I did) thinking early in the season it would be vs St Louis only to learn late that Senior night was Duquesne on Saturday.

Student section more that the last game or two.

Lots of recognition at halftime for students, court was full. That could have also drawn physical bodies in seats as family and friends coming for that.
People I’m friends said it was around 3,000 give or take. Zero percent on even 4,000. It is actually shocking that the 5735 could have been sold tickets. Trying to make the impression to everyone that things are good here at URI
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I take a two week trip to FL every year around now. Usually I go to a bar to watch games, or watch them wherever I am. I did not even realize there was a game last night until I got home late. Glad I missed it. Very sad.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

what happened? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary last night. I think he does a nice job.
To me it was that you could clearly hear everything coming from courtside last night due to the echo chamber crowd. So Yorke's mic was easy to hear on TV. The embellishments he makes on the calls after a bucket are over the top - he drags out the players' names and it just seems way over the top obnoxious. Maybe some like that. Too much IMO.
5 x
Mobley was fouled.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

One night I swear that York said Jerry Sheppard . It could be my hearing but did anyone else remember hearing that a number of games ago ? I am a season ticket holder of about 50 years and have not attended the last 4 games , 8x$30 . You figure it out !
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

To me it was that you could clearly hear everything coming from courtside last night due to the echo chamber crowd. So Yorke's mic was easy to hear on TV. The embellishments he makes on the calls after a bucket are over the top - he drags out the players' names and it just seems way over the top obnoxious. Maybe some like that. Too much IMO.
I've never thought to complain about it but it is obnoxious. The building is actually getting loud when the Rams showed some fight and you hear a guy screaming with his 200 amps. You don't really want a Buffer wannnabee shouting over a basketball game in my opinion.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Yeah Yorke and the sound mixing both suck. Bring back the original guy (I know hes on to greater things)
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

got it. I can see that.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Antwan Walker had a bad 14 minutes of play as he scored nothing, had a few bonehead plays one of which became a 4 point swing in SLU's favor. And his FT shooting is a disgrace, worse than the twins, if that is possible.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Walker and Martin surprisingly got the starts over Makhel and Makhi.

Walker picked up 4 quick fouls in just 14 minutes, whereas Malik Martin did not pick up any fouls and played a team Game high 32 minutes so obviously Cox liked what he was seeing with Martin.

Will be interesting to see who starts vs St Josephs.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Either Walker was playing hurt, or he could care less and is checking out.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

got it. I can see that.
I don't mind him when the arena is full and the game is close.

I think the problem is that he doesn't know when to dial those embellishments back. There's a time to go wild, but you also need to put your calls in the context of the game. A slam dunk late in a game when you're down by double digits doesn't warrant screaming "Makhiiiiiiiiiiiiii Mitchell" at the top of your lungs.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Walker's numbers have been on the decline, unfortunately, for about the past 10 games. Depending on your perspective and what game you're looking at, you can assign a lot of different reasons for this - frustration with his role, starting vs. being a bench player, teams more accurately planning and scouting for him, the overall decline of the team, nagging injury, checked out during a lost season, etc.

At the start of the year, I believe I said that I was worried that we had no one with "star" potential, even if most of our roster had average or better players. Like, it wasn't a "Baron End Times" thing, where he clearly had non-A10 level players taking up roster spots. Usually, a PER of 15 is seen as average, and URI actually has *six* players with a PER of at least 14.7. Unfortunately though, usually an All-A10 level player is coming in at 20+ PER, and the Mitchells are our highest players at 18.4 and 18.3.

Final thing - If you had to bet on non-graduate transfers who were likely to transfer, it's hard to see why Tres Berry would stick around, unless a new coach guarantees him playing time, for some reason. He last played Feb. 5, seven straight DNPs. He didn't log time in an 18-point loss at Bonaventure, or a 16-point win vs. Duquesne.
2 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

2 points about last night. How many times did the rams attempt to force a charge by getting in front of the offensive player. The answer is none. We would get beat off the dribble and reach in to try and get a steal. Yes, we got some blocks but a charge automatically gets us the ball back plus a foul. TJ can’t this be taught.
Second, I agree that our transfer from Syracuse has improved. 15 is right, get him in the game at crunch time. I got to my seat around six thirty. The team was taking their last warmups before heading back to the locker room. They all stopped shooting except one player who kept shooting from half court. He was obviously late. How many foul shots did he miss last night? I guess half court shots take a priority. Good grief!!!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Neil,
Who was shooting from half court?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Some postgame gems from Coach Clueless:

"When you go through a stretch like we’ve gone through, guys are so hungry to get a win and so close. In those times, angst works against you. You’ve really got to be calm and composed and you’ve got to get organized. We have not thrived in those positions throughout the year.”
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

More gems:

"We’ve played some really even games with teams and maybe even better than them. But our achilles heel, whether it’s turnovers or free throws, keeps rearing its ugly head. Tonight, just like last game, we controlled our turnovers for the most part. We had 10 today. That’s in the range of winnable games. But when you miss 12 free throws in a four or five point game, that’s going to come back and haunt you.”
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"We battled. We came up short. It is unfortunate, but sometimes that’s life. You can get better and still not necessarily get the outcome.”
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago More gems:

"We’ve played some really even games with teams and maybe even better than them. But our achilles heel, whether it’s turnovers or free throws, keeps rearing its ugly head. Tonight, just like last game, we controlled our turnovers for the most part. We had 10 today. That’s in the range of winnable games. But when you miss 12 free throws in a four or five point game, that’s going to come back and haunt you.”
Damn if there was only some guy that got paid to get his players into the gym to work on their free throws, could recruit ball-handling PG's, and could ensure the players that handle the ball are actually good at handling the ball and not forwards.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Damn if there was only some guy that got paid to get his players into the gym to work on their free throws, could recruit ball-handling PG's, and could ensure the players that handle the ball are actually good at handling the ball and not forwards.
Come on now. That's just crazy talk.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Didn't Cox say 7 or 8 games ago that it was up to him to fix things? Well, it didn't happen, so......see ya.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We did good with Turnovers, he is right, but Makhi had 6 of the TOs. So is there something about Makhi handling the ball a bit too much? Great we had 10, but the entire rest of the team only had 4. Makhi did have 6 blocked shots and helped keep St Louis big men in check. His defense was good.
Thatch hurt us with 21 points and 13 rebounds. The 6'3" sophomore guard got a game high 13 rebounds. Makhi was next with 8 rebounds. I'll have to watch the game because I'm not sure who was guarding him - if anybody.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago
How about ZERO out of three?
When you overstate your strong case you lose all credibility.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Some postgame gems from Coach Clueless:

"When you go through a stretch like we’ve gone through, guys are so hungry to get a win and so close. In those times, angst works against you. You’ve really got to be calm and composed and you’ve got to get organized. We have not thrived in those positions throughout the year.”
Agree with his assessment. In other words, team does not have poise, composure. Without an experienced point guard or stud front court player, this is an issue.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Agree. If a team struggles at the FT line, then that team better be really good at other areas to make up for those lost 8-9 points at the FT line. (Rebounding, defense, 3-point shooting, etc.)
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago "We battled. We came up short. It is unfortunate, but sometimes that’s life. You can get better and still not necessarily get the outcome.”
This is true (sometimes)...but people are tired of hearing it, especially when you don't get the outcome too often. (And not sure how much better URI has gotten this year.) And because it's a results oriented business, coaches get fired over this.
3 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago

got it. I can see that.
I don't mind him when the arena is full and the game is close.

I think the problem is that he doesn't know when to dial those embellishments back. There's a time to go wild, but you also need to put your calls in the context of the game. A slam dunk late in a game when you're down by double digits doesn't warrant screaming "Makhiiiiiiiiiiiiii Mitchell" at the top of your lungs.
Dan has always been lousy at the Mike.. misses substitutions constantly.. gets excited at wrong times.. should be better doing it as long as he has. Plus he's friends with McKee so he was even more over the top last night.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Come on now. That's just crazy talk.
Exactly. I mean, the U doesn't have funding to just go out and create new positions just because the basketball team thinks they need another FTE...
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Carey was shooting from half court. Sorry, my error
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

neil wrote: 2 years ago Carey was shooting from half court. Sorry, my error
He does this every game, usually with Betrand.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

maybe I missed it, but where did the boys get post game ice cream from last night?
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago maybe I missed it, but where did the boys get post game ice cream from last night?
They got the mini helmet ice cream bowls. It was lots of fun.
3 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

“We’ve played some really even games with teams and maybe even better than them. But our achilles heel, whether it’s turnovers or free throws, keeps rearing its ugly head. Tonight, just like last game, we controlled our turnovers for the most part. We had 10 today. That’s in the range of winnable games. But when you miss 12 free throws in a four or five point game, that’s going to come back and haunt you.”
I think an Achilles heel, by definition, is supposed to be the one singular weakness holding you back when you would otherwise be strong and powerful. It’s funny that this team has so many weaknesses that he can’t even pinpoint what its Achilles heel actually is.
Last edited by RhodyFanNotAlum 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago maybe I missed it, but where did the boys get post game ice cream from last night?
We never looked into this - but have we juxtaposed our W/L record when Brickley's is open?

Might be a key recruiting tactic he's been using but maybe Rese, Toppin, and others decided that once they had to survive a winter on store-bought ice cream - they decided to go somewhere else.

Brickley's is a big draw to South County when ice cream is your main motivator.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Some postgame gems from Coach Clueless:

Agree with his assessment. In other words, team does not have poise, composure. Without an experienced point guard or stud front court player a coach who knows how to coach this is an issue.
Fixed it for you.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote: 2 years ago Carey was shooting from half court. Sorry, my error
Thanks. And after half court warm ups Carey goes 0-3 FTs and 1-4 FTs last game

Fatts Russell did that half court shooting every game too. Used to drive me nuts. Like it was a game to just horse around. Then he might be hot but when he would go 4-15 or similar i would think Back to those half court shots being such a waste. I never see any other teams do that kind of stuff. Davidson, St Louis, Dayton…..they all come in with drills and warm up with a plan. It’s businesslike.

Never saw Jimmy Baron wasting his warm up minutes. As great a shooter as he was he always wanted to be better.

This team horses around in layups, guys wearing different shoes, different warmups, etc. At one point last night they did all put on the same green shirts for the occasion.
Structure and discipline seems an opportunity here.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago

TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!

CUT BAIT!!!!

There were hundreds of student athletes who got honored for making the dean's list so it was not an empty house.
Yup. The Greek Week style attendance bump like we saw against Richmond
It’s definitely right around initiation this week for the Greek System. I was at the grocery store around 5pm and I saw these little dudes buying tiny cups and jello and they were all wearing suit jackets 😂 I even asked them and they laughed.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago “I just thought the energy we finished the last game with, was with that group, so I wanted to continue with that energy,” Cox said.

This is such weak language. Please let’s all move on from this and pretend it never even happened.
There was a follow up question about hoping it sparked their performance and he said there was some merit to that thinking. "Gotta try everything at this point don't I"
Imagine being this deep into coaching a D1 program at the state’s flagship school and talking about “trying”.

Imagine making a couple hundo G’s a year guaranteed, being less than mediocre at it, then talking about “trying” when you’re off the heels of one of the most successful coaches out there.

I think DC got in over his head. We sincerely believed in the product. He’s a terrific person, terrific family - not even a debatable thing.

The issue is the program has never faltered like this. I know social media and the transfer portal have changed the dynamic, but this is heavy.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x