Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Please....no NOHEHOHs...joe mazzerati is a NOHEHOH.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Anyone mention Grant McCasland from North Texas?
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

UNC Wilmington Takayo Siddle. Does not have name recognition young with limited head coach experience
Middle Tennessee Nick McDevitt. Has coaching experience.
These are not big name but maybe if successful will not jump ship as fast.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

How 'bout Phil Ne'erherdovim? Or his mentor Johnny Whotheheckzat?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Regina Philangy is a name I'm hearing more
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whodafuckknows is a hot name right now.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Whodafuckknows is a hot name right now.
Seems to come up every time there's an opening...just never seals the deal tho
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

IIMO I DON'T THINK WE HAVE A SNOWBALLS CHANCE IN HELL TO LAND PITINO

HE IS BEING HEAVLY RUMORED FOR THE MARYLAND COACHING POSITION
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago IIMO I DON'T THINK WE HAVE A SNOWBALLS CHANCE IN HELL TO LAND PITINO

HE IS BEING HEAVLY RUMORED FOR THE MARYLAND COACHING POSITION
I'm sorry....a little louder, please? Maybe a bigger font?
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It's interesting that they refer to his Lville title being vacated, but still call him a two time natty winner. Must get the HTTs shorts in a serious bunch.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Pitino has said that Iona would be his final stop......whoopsie
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Pitino has said that Iona would be his final stop......whoopsie
It will be. Unless something he likes better comes along. Lol, Hurls looked right at my wife and me one day and said he'd not leave Rhody unless "something came up in the NBA"....coaches gonna coachspeak.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

UMass clearly trying to poach Cox from URI.

In all seriousness, this is *probably* Mark Schmidt. He has Massachusetts ties, and he's the only one that really makes sense here (maybe Mooney?).
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

According to a Buffalo News article from November 2021, Schmidt makes about $900k - not sure if that's base pay, or pay plus bonus, similar to how URI lets the head coach keep the gate from one game per year. So, $1.8M would be a pretty significant bump. (It would also explain the oddness of that number - Why not $2M? Because $1.8M is a simple 2x.)
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Prep Scouting on Twitter? Sounds like good info.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Wow. This will create some fun.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

In all seriousness, this is *probably* Mark Schmidt. He has Massachusetts ties, and he's the only one that really makes sense here (maybe Mooney?).
Not sure how reliable this is, let's see how it plays out.
Mark Schmidt has been with the Bonnies for 15 years; would he go to A10 rival UMass.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Mark Schmidt has been with the Bonnies for 15 years; would he go to A10 rival UMass.
He is a Massachusetts native and played @ BC , I would think a great chance he would go there for 1.8 M and I’m sure he losing all his seniors at Bona does he really want to rebuild ??
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Thanks SB...this actually made me lol....
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Pitino, Mack or Miller. Anyone of the three and I am happy. UMass paying 1.8 mil is big.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Pitino, Mack or Miller. Anyone of the three and I am happy. UMass paying 1.8 mil is big.
Totally agree. Hopefully it forces our hand to be better...maybe not 1.8M better, but better than whatever it is.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Pitino, Mack or Miller. Anyone of the three and I am happy. UMass paying 1.8 mil is big.
Enough already. Slick Rick is not making the HUGE jump from Iona to URI. Why would he?

You folks will be the first to complain when Thorr hires somebody other than Rick. He's not walking thru that door...get it out of your head.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Enough already. Slick Rick is not making the HUGE jump from Iona to URI. Why would he?

You folks will be the first to complain when Thorr hires somebody other than Rick. He's not walking thru that door...get it out of your head.
Most on here want Archie. We all know Pitino is not coming
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Ever met Rick?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

UMass fans seem to think it's reliable that they WANT Schmidt. I would be shocked if anything comes of it, though.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Wasn’t Schmidt considered for BC a couple of years ago.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Pitino is just fun to talk about. That would amazing. I just can't get into Grasso. He's done a great job in Smithfield, but its difficult to see someone that coached in the NEC and expect him to recruit at a high level and WIN in the A10. Am I crazy?
1 x
GO RAMS
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Pitino is just fun to talk about. That would amazing. I just can't get into Grasso. He's done a great job in Smithfield, but its difficult to see someone that coached in the NEC and expect him to recruit at a high level and WIN in the A10. Am I crazy?
Nope. Not crazy. I doubt any alumni who aren’t from RI would even mention him. I know I wouldn’t.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Pitino is just fun to talk about. That would amazing. I just can't get into Grasso. He's done a great job in Smithfield, but its difficult to see someone that coached in the NEC and expect him to recruit at a high level and WIN in the A10. Am I crazy?
It would be beyond amazing. Archie (or Mack) would be awesome, but the Rick would stand this place on it's head. No one else would jumpstart season tix sales like he would. Keep the dream alive...
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Wasn’t Schmidt considered for BC a couple of years ago.
Not positive, but I think he was actually considered twice, recently and back when they hired Chrisitan.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
It would be beyond amazing. Archie (or Mack) would be awesome, but the Rick would stand this place on it's head. No one else would jumpstart season tix sales like he would. Keep the dream alive...
Pitino to Maryland has some legs.
Cooley to Maryland also in the grapevines.
Imagine Cooley to Maryland, Pitino back to PC? What a nightmare that would be for some URI fans.

Imagine we could have had Pitino 4 years ago?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I'm thinking Schmidt would clearly be a great hire. This is clearly a coach that must a great recruiter to be able to land talent in Olean. Also, seems excellent at developing players and their teams seems to get better as the year goes on.

But, guessing if he is moving on it will be to a P5 school. Hope the Bonnies season ends sooner than later so we are able to give it a good shot.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Imagine Cooley to Maryland, Pitino back to PC? What a nightmare that would be for some URI fans.

Yeah, I wonder if there was anyone that really thought Cox would be a more successful hire. Never underestimate the power of the htt-ers, I guess.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I think if Pitino does leave Iona this year it will be for a Maryland type job for a lot of cash
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

When Danny left, wasn't their a rumor that URI may have reached out to Schmidt to gauge his interest? He did play at BC, but he's from North Attleboro, so technically he grew up closer to RI than to UMass . He's definitely an excellent coach but seems very content at Bonnie's
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago When Danny left, wasn't their a rumor that URI may have reached out to Schmidt to gauge his interest? He did play at BC, but he's from North Attleboro, so technically he grew up closer to RI than to UMass . He's definitely an excellent coach but seems very content at Bonnie's
You never know, but it will surprise me if Schmidt leaves for another A10 job.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS with many of the same coaches in discussions as we have. Archie, Becker…….
Bamford at a press conference yesterday said they have more money now for going after a HC that they had 5 years ago.
He wants HC in place by the end of March.

He's quoted saying: “We have the ability to go beyond where we’ve been in the past [financially]. It could be significantly above where we have been. We’re going to be in the top 4 in this league…in terms of our commitment to resources in this program.”

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/vie ... &start=375
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I wonder if they'll try for that same coach (from Winthrop) that initially accepted then changed his mind before McCall?

Also wondering if Weeks wants to transfer to URI and also if Tyson would come here to coach. Remember, Wheeler had an interview scheduled right after his UMass interview and UMass offered the job on the spot.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I wonder if they'll try for that same coach (from Winthrop) that initially accepted then changed his mind before McCall?

Also wondering if Weeks wants to transfer to URI and also if Tyson would come here to coach. Remember, Wheeler had an interview scheduled right after his UMass interview and UMass offered the job on the spot.
While I would love to see Tyson at URI it has to be as an upgrade to our current coaching staff.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pat Kelsey went from Winthrop to college of Charleston last year. UMASS was not happy when Kelsey backed out. Same AD at UMASS who got burned by Kelsey.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I wonder if they'll try for that same coach (from Winthrop) that initially accepted then changed his mind before McCall?

Pat Kelsey has since moved onto College of Charleston. It's the same AD as before, so I'd think he'd have no interest in dealing with Kelsey. Rumor on the UMass message board is Kelsey backed out due to players were getting paid under Kellogg and didn't want to walk into that potential mess. Seems like that would be resolved now, but would he want to go to a program that's still so messed up?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In case our "splash " candidates fall through, we should also take a serious look at Matt Langel (Colgate).
This season would be his 4th NCAAT in a row if 2020 wasn't cancelled.
He is a 3X Patriot COY.
Also spent 6 years as an assistant under Fran Dunphy.

I would put him way above Skerry or Grasso.
1 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

pitino recently said he is not interested in the maryland job;further stated he is totally committed to iona and his players

that being the case,dooley screwed up 4 years ago--i don't know if pitinos' nose was growing when he made those statements
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago pitino recently said he is not interested in the maryland job;further stated he is totally committed to iona and his players

that being the case,dooley screwed up 4 years ago--i don't know if pitinos' nose was growing when he made those statements
If Pitino's mouth was moving or his hands were typing he was lying
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago In case our "splash " candidates fall through, we should also take a serious look at Matt Langel (Colgate).
He is a 3X Patriot COY.

There are many candidates I would want above Skerry for sure. Langel included. While I don't know the scene as well as others, he does seem like an up and comer. Skerry has done little at Townson, so I don't know why he's considered a name.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago In case our "splash " candidates fall through, we should also take a serious look at Matt Langel (Colgate).
He is a 3X Patriot COY.

There are many candidates I would want above Skerry for sure. Langel included. While I don't know the scene as well as others, he does seem like an up and comer. Skerry has done little at Townson, so I don't know why he's considered a name.
I REALLY hope Skerry is just being mentioned because of the past connection here and not because of any actual interest on our part.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
He is a 3X Patriot COY.

I REALLY hope Skerry is just being mentioned because of the past connection here and not because of any actual interest on our part.
Not a fan of Grasso either, there are so many candidates I would put ahead of him.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ya know it's great to see the board alive again!

Life is already being breathed into our program on speculation alone!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

Not a fan of Grasso either, there are so many candidates I would put ahead of him.
Yep, same here!
0 x