Not All Conspiracies are Fake: Archie Miller Next HC of URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Archie Miller Conspiracy Thread.

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I truly don't understand why you're acting like Archie is like coach K or something. He's not unrealstic...
I don’t think he’s Coach K. I think he is one of the better coaches not currently employed and a lot of jobs will open this off-season. As Goodman said I think he will get a better opp than the A-10.
I think he could. But with money, all things are possible.

If Tom Ryan wants him, he’ll spend the money and make the commitments.

This program needs to make a hire like Archie. One that people say he’s better than and that he wouldn’t take because it’s beneath him.

Without that level of excitement you’re back to Baron. Waiting to see if we’ll be good and lukewarm “wait and see” type engagement.

This program gets back to Hurley-level excitement/ticket sales/engagement if you hire Archie.

Literally overnight.
No matter the money Tom Ryan would put up, a P6 job will have even more money than that.
2 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

At the financial level these guys are at, money towards the program is just as important as money towards a contract. Someone like Archie isn't going to take a job regardless of his paycheck if the financial commitment from the institution isn't at the level as other schools in the conference.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago I'm at work so I can't listen to the clip, and I missed it last night. Any cliff notes?
They asked if the Rhode Island job would be open this offseason and everyone unanimously agreed that yes, it would.
Goodman said that he didn't think that Thorr wanted to hire Cox... said it was the players that really pushed for it.
They talked about Archie Miller and the whispers there. Said it would be an odd fit regionally but the whispers are real. Said he should be in the mix for any and every A-10 opening. They mentioned UMass too. Said that they don't see it, though... he could do better than URI or UMass.
They talked about other candidates... Pat Skerry, John Becker as options for both URI and UMass.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie won't be interested in coming here [as was already said] if the program doesn't make the necessary commits.

Has to at least be near the level that Dayton was when he was coaching them.

And Dayton [and VCU] are at the top of the A10 when it comes to their MBB programs.

Anyway, no matter who the new coach is, URI has to up their game to have any chance of competing on a annual basis with those programs.

The time for talk is over. Actions are what's important.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Big NO on Pat Skerry.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago More Pat Skerry talk in that clip. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but hoo boy I am NOT interested in that.
Didn't really get anything we didn't know from the clip.

Again, please no Skerry, that would be the cheap, quick, way out.

Let's see he was a JB assistant and then at PC, that really excites me.

He has been at Towson 11 years, and this will be his first regular season title.
The last 5 years he had 3 losing conference records.
Has never been to the NIT as a HC and 1 CIT appearance.

No Thanks

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago The hottest part of that clip isn’t even the Archie part.. “I don’t think he wanted to hire David cox…”

But he did. Imagine how he must kick himself.

But credit for the Tammi Reiss hire, pay/contract increase after her 2nd year.
For getting the Practice Facility approved and in motion - a nice carrot to have out there for Coaching candidates and for Freshmen and Portal visitors.
Basketball needs to make a video like the Football Team just did.
Basketball needs to promote the Practice Facility status and what it will look like/mean to the MBB and WBB programs. Maybe Tammi can take the lead in this.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

I don’t think he’s Coach K. I think he is one of the better coaches not currently employed and a lot of jobs will open this off-season. As Goodman said I think he will get a better opp than the A-10.

This program needs to make a hire like Archie. One that people say he’s better than and that he wouldn’t take because it’s beneath him.

Without that level of excitement you’re back to Baron. Waiting to see if we’ll be good and lukewarm “wait and see” type engagement.

This program gets back to Hurley-level excitement/ticket sales/engagement if you hire Archie.

Literally overnight.
No matter the money Tom Ryan would put up, a P6 job will have even more money than that.
Agreed. But what P5 school is going to invest that money in a guy who - on the surface - "failed" at a another P5 school.

The only reason Archie is available is because he was fired in his first four years. Those P5 schools, donors, and fanbases have different expectations and things to get excited about.

The same way we look at John Becker is the same way those fan bases view Archie.

"won at a lower level but can he win at this level" and with Archie, you could make the case that he "can't" considering he was fired without winning anything.

Now at our level? Archie would be a home run and a great get. It's all about perspective.

Xavier would be interesting if they continue to lose out and crash. But I doubt they'd fire Steele after one bad stretch.

I think Ryan would make whatever commitments needed if he wanted Archie. Same as he was willing to do for Hurley and Pitino.

And again, from Archie's perspective, maybe he wants a place that is going to love him for winning rather than a place that expects to win?

He's only 1 job removed from coaching in the A-10 for 6 years. It's not like this is that big of a drop for him. And if anything, he needs to prove he can turn around a school and win so he can get another shot at a P5 job.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago More Pat Skerry talk in that clip. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but hoo boy I am NOT interested in that.

He has been at Towson 11 years, and this will be his first regular season title.

No Thanks

Just more confirmation that the "whispers" are real, and that the Archie to URI talk isn't as far fetched as some on here would like to believe.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Agreed. But what P5 school is going to invest that money in a guy who - on the surface - "failed" at a another P5 school.
If NC State is open I could see them doing it.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Add me to the big no on Pat Skerry. If Archie or another big or proven name are not possible, I have no problem with Becker being in the mix. Skerry would be a less inspiring hire than Baron was at the time IMO.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

change1.jpg
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Goodman said that he didn't think that Thorr wanted to hire Cox... said it was the players that really pushed for it.
Which is hilarious since three of our "best" players left after that.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hilarious.... or tragic.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Agreed. But what P5 school is going to invest that money in a guy who - on the surface - "failed" at a another P5 school.
Not sure NC State opens up but if it does and they go after Archie, I would take a serious look at Kevin Keatts.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Everyone wants the hottest chick at the bar. How is Thorr breaking the ice?
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Not sure NC State opens up but if it does and they go after Archie, I would take a serious look at Kevin Keatts.
I mean they were open the same year Archie took IU. If they wanted him/he wanted them for the "sentimental" part of going to his alma mater, it would've happened then. He was one of the hottest "rising star" names in college hoops at the time.

If they're going to fire Keatts for not getting to the tournament since he got them there in year 1 (and probably in year 3), would their fans get excited about bringing on Archie 4 years since he's brought a team dancing?

Plus there aren't "whispers" of Keatts being out this year.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No Thanks

Just more confirmation that the "whispers" are real, and that the Archie to URI talk isn't as far fetched as some on here would like to believe.
Even if Miller doesn't end up available, the publicity is good for the marketplace.

Now would also be a good time to get the Practice Facility Update and Progress Report out there - build some excitement
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I mean they were open the same year Archie took IU. If they wanted him/he wanted them for the "sentimental" part of going to his alma mater, it would've happened then. He was one of the hottest "rising star" names in college hoops at the time.

If they're going to fire Keatts for not getting to the tournament since he got them there in year 1 (and probably in year 3), would their fans get excited about bringing on Archie 4 years since he's brought a team dancing?

Not sure what the communication was back then between Archie and NC State.

But how do you turn down Indiana?
Even though he went to school at NC State they are still at best 3rd fiddle in the state behind Duke and NC.

"Miller's father says son turned down NC State due to trust issues"

https://www.thescore.com/news/1261829-m ... 959453/amp
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Not sure what the communication was back then between Archie and NC State.

But how do you turn down Indiana?
Even though he went to school at NC State they are still at best 3rd fiddle in the state behind Duke and NC.

"Miller's father says son turned down NC State due to trust issues"

https://www.thescore.com/news/1261829-m ... 959453/amp
https://packinsider.com/2021/03/17/the- ... state-job/

So if you follow this down that Archie was a dick to these NC State guys - it's either he thought he was too good for them, or he just didn't want to go there. Either way, if that "alma mater' piece mattered to him, it would've happened then.

Now, if you break that story down and he wants another BIG job (Duke, UNC, Kentucky) are the only ones in the east I can think of on the level of Indiana - he knows he needs to build another winner at a lower level before his star is hot again.

It's easier to win bigger and faster and dance when you're in the A-10 vs the ACC. He already knows this. He made the leap from Dayton to the top of college basketball. He could easily do that again with a high profile turnaround at URI. If he gets URI into a second weekend he can grab one of those plum jobs, and I'll tip my cap and say thank you.

I agree that Archie is "better" than URI. Which is why we need him here. I don't want someone happy to be here because we're better than the small school they were at. I want someone who's "above" us so that his time here drags us up to that level. Then when he leaves, a la Hurley, we'll be in a better place and we can follow the same pattern to keep us there.

Until we commit to basketball in a serious way, we're always going to be a temporary stop for whatever coach we get.

Give me the proven winner who can get our infrastructure to emulate the winning programs rather than the "on the job" training.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You could see a program like Butler being interested in Archie. His tenure at IU is still seen by many as cut short prematurely. A BE school did just take Shaka who had a very similar track record (mid major success, p5 fired). I agree that a blue blood or mid to upper tier P5 would likely shoot for someone bigger but its the lower level P5s and BE/American jobs that can still be more compelling than our gig. I agree he's a no doubt about it slam dunk hire just don't see it happening. Would love to be wrong here.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A guy like Archie doesn't need the money. Pitino didn't need the money. Pitino liked coming back home to the Iona area. A nice place to live and enjoy life.
Archie could be sold on the opportunity to turn URI around, live beautiful South County, get a home on the water, have an easy drive to work, easy drive to the airport, easy access to Amtrak, family could enjoy the area just as the Hurley's did. He and his family could enjoy and explore New England in the offseason.
Then he could raise money, drive improvements, get URI back to the Dayton/VCU levels and move on up to the P5's againif he and his family want to.

Not a bad place to jump back into the Coaching world.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago A guy like Archie doesn't need the money. Pitino didn't need the money. Pitino liked coming back home to the Iona area. A nice place to live and enjoy life.
Archie could be sold on the opportunity to turn URI around, live beautiful South County, get a home on the water, have an easy drive to work, easy drive to the airport, easy access to Amtrak, family could enjoy the area just as the Hurley's did. He and his family could enjoy and explore New England in the offseason.
Then he could raise money, drive improvements, get URI back to the Dayton/VCU levels and move on up to the P5's againif he and his family want to.

Keep in mind his wife's family has a place in the Outer Banks - so they definitely like the water but it's not like it'll "wow" them being here.

Also, their daughter is going to LSU for gymnastics. So I bet Tom Ryan would need to throw in a "private jet for Morgan Miller to go see her daughter's meets" offer in the contract.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago A guy like Archie doesn't need the money. Pitino didn't need the money. Pitino liked coming back home to the Iona area. A nice place to live and enjoy life.

Keep in mind his wife's family has a place in the Outer Banks - so they definitely like the water but it's not like it'll "wow" them being here.

Also, their daughter is going to LSU for gymnastics. So I bet Tom Ryan would need to throw in a "private jet for Morgan Miller to go see her daughter's meets" offer in the contract.
Whatever it takes.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I love the pretzel logic here convincing each other this will happen.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago I love the pretzel logic here convincing each other this will happen.
Look at the thread title baby - we're down the rabbit hole!!
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, the *whispers* are great, I'm glad the idea is even out there being mentioned because I want the guy here to, but it kind of feels like we are ignoring the parts of the video where they all say they don't see it happening. And it seems like Goodman might have some more insight than most on the situation given his connection to Archie. Of course everyone is still just speculating, so I'm not totally giving up hope yet.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago I love the pretzel logic here convincing each other this will happen.
Ha! As long as you know it.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago
Ha! As long as you know it.
:D :D
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If Cox is bought out, Thorr is going to take some heat one way or another. If Thorr is in trouble, so are his direct reports. Whatever the buy-out costs, hiring someone else would have cost far more. Saying he hired Cox because that is who the players wanted should get him fired. He hit with Hurley and missed with Cox at no great cost. Whoever is spreading the rumor that Thorr hired Cox because that is who the players wanted are tarnishing Thorr as an AD.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago If Cox is bought out, Thorr is going to take some heat one way or another. If Thorr is in trouble, so are his direct reports. Whatever the buy-out costs, hiring someone else would have cost far more. Saying he hired Cox because that is who the players wanted should get him fired. He hit with Hurley and missed with Cox at no great cost. Whoever is spreading the rumor that Thorr hired Cox because that is who the players wanted are tarnishing Thorr as an AD.
When you wake up in the morning, do you say "what is the dumbest thought I can have," fire up your computer, put it down, and then hit "submit?"

Just trying to figure out your morning routine.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago If Cox is bought out, Thorr is going to take some heat one way or another. If Thorr is in trouble, so are his direct reports. Whatever the buy-out costs, hiring someone else would have cost far more. Saying he hired Cox because that is who the players wanted should get him fired. He hit with Hurley and missed with Cox at no great cost. Whoever is spreading the rumor that Thorr hired Cox because that is who the players wanted are tarnishing Thorr as an AD.
When you wake up in the morning, do you say "what is the dumbest thought I can have," fire up your computer, put it down, and then hit "submit?"

Remember when people would respond to this idiot and you'd respond "STOP. FEEDING. THE. TROLL." over and over again?

Please listen to yourself.
4 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Remember when people would respond to this idiot and you'd respond "STOP. FEEDING. THE. TROLL." over and over again?

I know. I've come full circle on him I think.

I can't tell. It's been a weird year. Total troll but idiot savant. Sometimes I can't help myself.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

In reading the posts above, someone heard and posted that Cox was not Thorr's first choice, but the person players wanted as the new coach. IMO it is better for Thorr to take full responsibility for what turned out to be a bad hire than to make people think he capitulated to the players in hiring Cox.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I have fun responding to 72. I wish I could go on the PC board and pull off what he does here....Imagine Cooley sucks, and you send this long post on their message board about how Cooley needs to get an extension immediately because you have experience hiring people, and it gets all the PC fans riled up? I would have a blast reading that. I wonder if 72 is one person or multiple PC fans..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I have fun responding to 72. I wish I could go on the PC board and pull off what he does here....Imagine Cooley sucks, and you send this long post on their message board about how Cooley needs to get an extension immediately because you have experience hiring people, and it gets all the PC fans riled up? I would have a blast reading that. I wonder if 72 is one person or multiple PC fans..
You cant though cuz theyd ban you from the board
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Literally overnight.
Agreed. But what P5 school is going to invest that money in a guy who - on the surface - "failed" at a another P5 school.

The only reason Archie is available is because he was fired in his first four years. Those P5 schools, donors, and fanbases have different expectations and things to get excited about.

The same way we look at John Becker is the same way those fan bases view Archie.

"won at a lower level but can he win at this level" and with Archie, you could make the case that he "can't" considering he was fired without winning anything.

Now at our level? Archie would be a home run and a great get. It's all about perspective.

Xavier would be interesting if they continue to lose out and crash. But I doubt they'd fire Steele after one bad stretch.

I think Ryan would make whatever commitments needed if he wanted Archie. Same as he was willing to do for Hurley and Pitino.

And again, from Archie's perspective, maybe he wants a place that is going to love him for winning rather than a place that expects to win?

He's only 1 job removed from coaching in the A-10 for 6 years. It's not like this is that big of a drop for him. And if anything, he needs to prove he can turn around a school and win so he can get another shot at a P5 job.
Get me a big name like Archie to get the buzz back , sorry but a John Becker doesn’t do it for me
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Hard pass
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

No Thanks

The real Jim Baron 2.0
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I'd rather hire Lonergan than John Becker. And I don't want Lonergan.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Cross that one off.

2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Cross that one off.

In terms of dominoes that needed to fall in order for URI to land Archie, this is a big one. Need a vote of confidence from Butler for LaVall Jordan.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The coachesdatabase.com has a hot seat page. They show the LaSalle guy's seat as "rather warm", B Hurls on the hot seat (I know, they need to update), but how can DC not be on the list? Is it because they think we're even less noteworthy than LaSalle? There has to be a better list?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago The coachesdatabase.com has a hot seat page. They show the LaSalle guy's seat as "rather warm", B Hurls on the hot seat (I know, they need to update), but how can DC not be on the list? Is it because they think we're even less noteworthy than LaSalle? There has to be a better list?
These sites don't exactly dig too deep in what's really going on.

They probably looked at Cox's record this season [14-13] and think he's safe.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago I'd rather hire Lonergan than John Becker. And I don't want Lonergan.
I would take Becker all day over Lonergan.
He has been out of coaching for 6 years and has baggage.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Put this in the we can only dream category.
Chris Mack. A tremendous coach who left unceremoniously at Louisville and has a black mark on his resume. Perhaps needs to rebuild or boost his career, not that he would need it financially. But if he wants to coach again right away, why not make a call. Sorry to suggest what is more than likely an unrealistic name to the holier than now crowd. Mack over Miller if I want to fantasize
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Until Archie is hired he has to be the target. (In this thread at least.)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago I'd rather hire Lonergan than John Becker. And I don't want Lonergan.
You missed it, didn't you?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
You missed it, didn't you?
I think it is a bad comparison even if he likes neither.

Actually, Becker should be on the short list if he has interest, he can flat out coach.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Put this in the we can only dream category.
Chris Mack. A tremendous coach who left unceremoniously at Louisville and has a black mark on his resume. Perhaps needs to rebuild or boost his career, not that he would need it financially. But if he wants to coach again right away, why not make a call. Sorry to suggest what is more than likely an unrealistic name to the holier than now crowd. Mack over Miller if I want to fantasize
Would love to see Mack and Miller as our top 2 targets
1 x