2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
You would have to think next year he would have to turn things around they have been absolutely atrocious
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago
You would have to think next year he would have to turn things around they have been absolutely atrocious
Yes, he had a top 20 national recruiting class (#3 B10) for 2021 and 4 recruits already signed for 2022.
He would need to show a big improvement next season.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

A prominent "basketball insider' twitter account was posting job opening %

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The tweet is not completely accurate and doesn’t permit replies.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The contract is not up. You would thing if someone is going to post on Twitter like that the first thing to research would be the contract status.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I DM'd @CoachingChanges and asked if they have any more info. They replied:

Richard Pitino
Bobby Hurley
Pat Skerry
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The URI hires Hurley/URI hires Pitino headlines would be both confusing and hilarious, but c’mon.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah. Trash. No way Bobby or Richard come here. And Skerry isn’t exactly insider info.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

That account is the perfect example of "throw out 50 names for every open position and you're guaranteed to be right". They don't have any insider info that I've seen. Seems they turn off replies on every tweet to avoid getting called out for their BS.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

They're 1 for 3 in that response. Skerry definitely on the list. Bobby and Pitino is the type of stuff wet dreams are made of
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Yeah. Trash. No way Bobby or Richard come here. And Skerry isn’t exactly insider info.
Can't be serious about Skerry.
Aside from being a JB assistant and also at PC, there should be no interest in him.
At age 52 what has he really done?
After 11 years at Towson, he has a losing record in the CAA.

He brings absolutely nothing to the table.
This would be worse than the Baron hire.
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I completely agree with the post above. Does not seem to be the person we need right now.

Doesn't mean that he's not on Thorr's list though...
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago A prominent "basketball insider' twitter account was posting job opening %

Contract up?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Yeah. Trash. No way Bobby or Richard come here. And Skerry isn’t exactly insider info.
Aside from being a JB assistant and also at PC, there should be no interest in him.

Again, I would caution people from looking at his overall record. His first year they went 1-31 (1-17). Even if you include that year, you are incorrect about him being under 500 in the CAA. He is currently 96-92. 95-75 if you exclude his first year.
I am not arguing for or against him. I am just stating facts for the sake of clarity.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you’re interested in reading about coaching candidates, in general. They acknowledge that some of these are not at all possible for the Hoyas, but I like seeing what names others put out there. They do a great job covering Georgetown basketball. Georgetown is my husband’s team, so I’ll always have a soft spot for them.

https://www.casualhoya.com/2022/2/25/22 ... ler-pitino

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If Skerry is even on the list I'm disappointed in Thorr. He hasn't been on anyone's list in a decade, why would he be on URI's. He's also one of the biggest self promoters and is tight with most of the national writers. I would guess he's the source of his name being mentioned.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

Again, I would caution people from looking at his overall record. His first year they went 1-31 (1-17). Even if you include that year, you are incorrect about him being under 500 in the CAA. He is currently 96-92. 95-75 if you exclude his first year.
I am not arguing for or against him. I am just stating facts for the sake of clarity.
Yes, I didn't update his total record in the CAA the past 2 weeks which did put him over 500. My mistake.
He did turn around things at Towson his first few years, but he wasn't really able to maintain or build on that momentum.

His overall resume and nothing he accomplished recently gives me any confidence that he can rebuild our program here.
The A10 will be very competitive especially with the addition of Loyola and he just doesn't move the needle for me.

I don 't think there will be much excitement here if he is indeed hired.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago I DM'd @CoachingChanges and asked if they have any more info. They replied:

Richard Pitino
Bobby Hurley
Pat Skerry
To be honest - I don't really trust them as super tied-in sources. Their tweet was saying Cox's contract was up. The buyout is cheap but his contract isn't up. First red flag.

Hurley isn't dropping from ASU now (as much as I would love him), as the AD just gave a vote of confidence in him for one more year.

Richard Pitino is a name I've heard thrown around - and the Tom Ryan/Pitino family connection is definitely there. So that's intriguing.

Skerry is the furthest thing from insider info as ATP said.

I trust the Borzello tweet. (because I WANT to).
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..Richard Pitino………does nothing for me……
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't know why Wrong Pitino would be on the list.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago I DM'd @CoachingChanges and asked if they have any more info. They replied:

Richard Pitino
Bobby Hurley
Pat Skerry
To be honest - I don't really trust them as super tied-in sources. Their tweet was saying Cox's contract was up. The buyout is cheap but his contract isn't up. First red flag.

Hurley isn't dropping from ASU now (as much as I would love him), as the AD just gave a vote of confidence in him for one more year.

Richard Pitino is a name I've heard thrown around - and the Tom Ryan/Pitino family connection is definitely there. So that's intriguing.

Skerry is the furthest thing from insider info as ATP said.

I trust the Borzello tweet. (because I WANT to).
Oh I would certainly agree. The account that I shared is run by a few people that are lower level assistants/support staff etc that have the password. Definitely have a bias in certain postings, but check out who follows and interacts with the account. It's another, where there is smoke, there is fire type posting imo. I also think when they say "contract is up" they mean 1 year is remaining and a decision needs to be made one way or the other.

With that said, for the most part a major national guy like Borzello isn't just throwing things out there to see what sticks. If he is saying it, it's much different then simple speculation.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

https://theathletic.com/3148723/2022/02 ... -carousel/

Some interesting tidbits (Seton Hall? Interesting. Providence? You’re dead to me, Robert.)

Archie Miller, former head coach. Miller is only 43 and would like to coach again, but considering he is still being paid handsomely by Indiana, don’t expect him to take a job for the sake of taking a job. His tenure didn’t end well in Bloomington, but Miller is still highly thought of from his tenure at Dayton, where he took the Flyers to four NCAA Tournaments (and the 2014 Elite Eight) in six years. Having played at NC State, Miller could be an attractive candidate if Clemson opens (or NC State, for that matter), and it’s possible a high-end mid-major job like Murray State would appeal to him as well.

Bobby Hurley, head coach, Arizona State. The Sun Devils’ struggles over the last two seasons have put Hurley in the crosshairs, but multiple sources are inclined to believe he’ll have another year in Tempe. It certainly helps, in the worst possible way, that Arizona State football is a mess and administrators might not want to take on two problems at once. Even if ASU doesn’t pull the trigger, Hurley could be this year’s Shaka Smart and leave for another job before the walls close in. Given his Jersey roots, he would be an appealing choice at Seton Hall or Providence if those jobs came open (though going up against his brother Danny could be awkward), or if something opens up in the ACC.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ace wrote: 2 years ago If you’re interested in reading about coaching candidates, in general. They acknowledge that some of these are not at all possible for the Hoyas, but I like seeing what names others put out there. They do a great job covering Georgetown basketball. Georgetown is my husband’s team, so I’ll always have a soft spot for them.

https://www.casualhoya.com/2022/2/25/22 ... ler-pitino

I had read somewhere, that Steve Wojciechowski might also be a possibility for them, though it may not be accurate, that is another name out there of the unemployed who will be able to grab a job somewhere is he still wants to coach. He's only 45 or so.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote: 2 years ago https://theathletic.com/3148723/2022/02 ... -carousel/

Some interesting tidbits (Seton Hall? Interesting. Providence? You’re dead to me, Robert.)

Archie Miller, former head coach. Miller is only 43 and would like to coach again, but considering he is still being paid handsomely by Indiana, don’t expect him to take a job for the sake of taking a job. His tenure didn’t end well in Bloomington, but Miller is still highly thought of from his tenure at Dayton, where he took the Flyers to four NCAA Tournaments (and the 2014 Elite Eight) in six years. Having played at NC State, Miller could be an attractive candidate if Clemson opens (or NC State, for that matter), and it’s possible a high-end mid-major job like Murray State would appeal to him as well.

Bobby Hurley, head coach, Arizona State. The Sun Devils’ struggles over the last two seasons have put Hurley in the crosshairs, but multiple sources are inclined to believe he’ll have another year in Tempe. It certainly helps, in the worst possible way, that Arizona State football is a mess and administrators might not want to take on two problems at once. Even if ASU doesn’t pull the trigger, Hurley could be this year’s Shaka Smart and leave for another job before the walls close in. Given his Jersey roots, he would be an appealing choice at Seton Hall or Providence if those jobs came open (though going up against his brother Danny could be awkward), or if something opens up in the ACC.
You're closer than I am - but 0.0% chance Bobby winds up in the Big East coaching against Danny twice a year and recruiting against each other.

Also Cooley isn't leaving PC. He just bought a new house. He's from Providence.

All of the Archie stuff makes sense, but that sensibility can't penetrate my tinfoil hat!!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

11 years with zero NCAA appearances in the CAA at Towson for Skerry.

Why would that translate into NCAA appearances at URI?

NCAA or Bust. Skerry is from the Baron Coaching Tree that also never produced an NCAA Appearance in 11 years at URI.

That’s 22 combined years with no NCAA appearance. Apple doesn’t fall far from the “Coaching” Tree.

Huge NO on Skerry.
B7185D5C-8A15-4557-9F8A-D504BD455D3F.png
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Although, as Bos points out Pat Skerry's record is a little misleading, and I am not overly big into reading too much into records without putting the entire situation the coach had into perspective. Kevin Willard, who I believe is an excellent coach was under .500 in his short tenure at Iona. With that being said, Skerry does absolutely nothing for me. This program has reached a very low level in a short time and needs a jump start and a coach that will create a buzz to the program and put people back in the seats. Skerry isn't that guy . Richard Pitino does little for me either, though I would put him above Skerry. If Miller, or some of the other bigger names, more established guys are not attainable, I would prefer someone fresh like Bashir Mason and Kimani Young . They would certainly excite me much more.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Thorr would be bad at his job if he hired Pat Skerry. Thorr is not bad at his job. It's not going to happen.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 2 years ago https://theathletic.com/3148723/2022/02 ... -carousel/

You're closer than I am - but 0.0% chance Bobby winds up in the Big East coaching against Danny twice a year and recruiting against each other.

Also Cooley isn't leaving PC. He just bought a new house. He's from Providence.

All of the Archie stuff makes sense, but that sensibility can't penetrate my tinfoil hat!!
People keep trying to bring Bobby back to the east coast. Maybe it happens sometime, but he’s not his brother. Bobby and his family were living in sunny Florida when Dan dragged them to Wagner. So much of this is just to get people talking, and I love it.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Normally votes of confidence don't mean much, but this seems pretty strongly worded

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say no to Pat Skerry and Richard Pitino hope they aren’t on Thorr short list
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

After much speculation early in the season that Bobby Hurley's seat is extremely hot, it now appears he may be safe for now.
I hope so and still think he can turn things around at ASU.

He has quietly won 5 of his last 6 games.
Much heralded F Marcus Bagley has only played 3 games this season, due to a knee injury.

He rebuilt almost the entire roster adding 9 new players 21-22.
He had one top recruiting classes in the P12 in 2020 and 2021, and off to good start in 2022.

His contract runs through 23-24.
Next season will probably be make or break for him.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/0 ... e%20desert.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago After much speculation early in the season that Bobby Hurley's seat is extremely hot, it now appears he may be safe for now.

Much heralded F Marcus Bagley has only played 3 games this season, due to a knee injury.

He had one top recruiting classes in the P12 in 2020 and 2021, and off to good start in 2022.

Could very well be .500 in conference by the end of the year, and win 7/8 rolling into the Pac12 tourney.

Did also knock off #3 UCLA (before losing to them as #12).

Pac12 is another one of those conferences that could see anyone win it. As good as Arizona is, they did lose to UCLA and it'll be interesting to see how they recover after losing to Colorado.

Wouldn't shock me if Bobby made a run to the semis in the conference tourney.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago After much speculation early in the season that Bobby Hurley's seat is extremely hot, it now appears he may be safe for now.

Could very well be .500 in conference by the end of the year, and win 7/8 rolling into the Pac12 tourney.

Did also knock off #3 UCLA (before losing to them as #12).

Pac12 is another one of those conferences that could see anyone win it. As good as Arizona is, they did lose to UCLA and it'll be interesting to see how they recover after losing to Colorado.

Wouldn't shock me if Bobby made a run to the semis in the conference tourney.
Yes, I am rooting for Bobby and ASU.

Arizona just got beat handily by Colorado.

It wouldn't surprise me if ASU makes some noise in the Pac-12 tournament.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Top coaches that can be splash hires but carry some baggage.
I wonder if we see a landing spot for them soon.
Sean Miller, Gregg Marshall, and Chris Mack (to a lesser extent) all with either school or NCAA issues.

Mark Turgeon an excellent coach also available but ran his course at Maryland.
Took 3 different programs to the NCAAT and 2 Sweet 16's.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Top coaches that can be splash hires but carry some baggage.
I wonder if we see a landing spot for them soon.
Sean Miller, Gregg Marshall, and Chris Mack (to a lesser extent) all with either school or NCAA issues.

Mark Turgeon an excellent coach also available but ran his course at Maryland.
Took 3 different programs to the NCAAT and 2 Sweet 16's.
See I'd take any of those too. We're only getting the high level guys that need to rehab an image or have some warts.

But...the only whispers that are out there? A.R.C.H.I.E.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Has any member of the media asked Thorr on the record about Cox's status?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Umass just made the announcement that they are moving on from Mccall
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

UMass wants the poll position for new coach…
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He has to finish the season as a dead man?? Thats crazy.
1 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah, the FBI loves Sean. Can we stop pining after criminals to coach the team?
It’s hard to avoid criminals in college basketball.

Archie is awful. Look at his teams at Indiana where he was over his head and the big run at Dayton came with a very fortunate roster that he would never assemble again there. He can take Dayton to the last eight teams but he can’t get Indiana to contend in the BIG10?? Sounds like a fluke.

He would be an obvious upgrade but he hit his ceiling at Dayton when he had to reload and again at Indiana.
Wut?

He won 20+ games and made the dance every year after the elite 8 run. The next year after that run when he graduated the whole team they made the 2nd round.

He built Dayton into what they are.

At IU he turned the program around, in fairly short order. If not for Covid they were an NCAA team, then his team was decimated by injury.

I don’t care about a “fluke” judgement, even though Covid and injuries explain a lot of that. But he proved he can win in the A10. We play in the A10 we want to be the program he had at Dayton for 6 years.

He’s young enough where maybe he wants to stay at a place that invests in basketball.

Or maybe he wants to prove he can win again and go to another big school.

If he gets a big job again it’ll because he rebuilt us.

I’ll take that.

Maybe it’ll force some donors to invest again.
If we get Archie then I will hope he is the man to make it happen. I just don't have a high opinion of him as a coach and have won $$$ predicting losses on his part over the years.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago He has to finish the season as a dead man?? Thats crazy.
So weird. Why do programs do this?
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago He has to finish the season as a dead man?? Thats crazy.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
So weird. Why do programs do this?
You have to pay him either way - None of these guys are "at will" employees, so it's not like you're saving salary by firing them with a couple games left and turning things over to an assistant. I think most NCAA coaches finish out the season and then get fired, because of the length of the season and because (I imagine) of the legitimate connections some coaches probably have with their players. ETA - Even in the non-sports world, plenty of places are going to let you or have you work your last two weeks, instead of shit-canning you immediately.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Their fans want Grasso, it seems.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Their fans want Grasso, it seems.
Derek Kellog pt 2
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
Derek Kellog pt 2
They can have Grasso and Skerry.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Perfect match. Derek Kellogg II
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Lmao as I said in another post - UMass is a scumbag organization.

They deserve someone like a Grasso.

Weird to publicly fire a guy now ahead of the conference tourney.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL