Shane Donaldson Files Complaint with US Dept. of Justice

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Shane Donaldson Files Complaint with US Dept. of Justice

Unread post by PeteRI »

Shane Donaldson has filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice.

The University of Rhode Island’s associate athletic director for communication and new media is requesting a further inquiry into an incident that took place at a men’s basketball game earlier this month.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 930879001/
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Shane Donaldson

Unread post by theblueram »

Well, it's a no brainer. Certainly a violation of the ADA Act. I worked at a non profit a long time ago that worked with spinal cord injured people. Many of the people were involved with passing the ADA back then. It was an eye opener for me to see the things that limited people in wheelchairs to have a normal life.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Go get em Shane!
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good luck Shane hope it works out for you
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Based on how the article reads it seems like VCU may have made an honest mistake, but I understand Donaldson wanting facilities to be more conscious of disabled people & to have it top of mind when arranging things. Life is already likely difficult enough for him I imagine. I imagine it was pretty frustrating walking up and seeing the ladder.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago Based on how the article reads it seems like VCU may have made an honest mistake, but I understand Donaldson wanting facilities to be more conscious of disabled people & to have it top of mind when arranging things. Life is already likely difficult enough for him I imagine. I imagine it was pretty frustrating walking up and seeing the ladder.
I didn’t read the article but according to folks associated with VCU on Twitter it’s been a problem all season.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Good for Shane.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago Based on how the article reads it seems like VCU may have made an honest mistake, but I understand Donaldson wanting facilities to be more conscious of disabled people & to have it top of mind when arranging things. Life is already likely difficult enough for him I imagine. I imagine it was pretty frustrating walking up and seeing the ladder.
I have to disagree, Dude. This had been the lazy, dangerous (for ANYONE) setup all season following the AD's decision to put high-priced court-side seats where the radio table formerly was. Even worse, they were publicly called out on twitter just a week earlier by the Dayton radio team who was rightfully disgusted by the arrangement.

Had Stone Freeman fallen climbing the ladder while carrying some radio equipment and got hurt, VCU would have been in serious trouble. Now add to this situation the denial of access to Shane, and you have two big problems.

Now that I've spent the last two years in a wheelchair, I've seen a "range of compliance" with the ADA. You could even say VCU had advance knowledge that accessibility was a requirement for that Rhody game since Shane had been visiting VCU for about a DECADE in his present role.

VCU deserves the fullest punishment to bring change to their leadership and renewed focus on what are the BASICS since the ADA became law 32 years ago.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Shane Donaldson Files Complaint with US Dept. of Justice

Unread post by section(105) »

…..not an attorney, and not playing one on TV…….If there were no priors and not being put on notice type things, from previous DOJ filings against VCU, they will probably be told…….comply with the ADA……without fines……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That's fine. The point is to bring renewed awareness and prevent this from happening ever again.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …..not an attorney, and not playing one on TV…….If there were no priors and not being put on notice type things, from previous DOJ filings against VCU, they will probably be told…….comply with the ADA……without fines……
That's not how it works. A first time violation results in a fine:

For the ADA, this adjustment increases the maximum civil penalty for a first violation under title III from $55,000 to $75,000; for a subsequent violation the new maximum is $150,000. The new maximums apply only to violations occurring on or after April 28, 2014.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Good for him.
0 x
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Most importantly...fix it. Not for next year, for the next game, if they haven't already (which would be the smart play), and stand up and pay whatever penalties are owed.
3 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
I have to disagree, Dude. This had been the lazy, dangerous (for ANYONE) setup all season following the AD's decision to put high-priced court-side seats where the radio table formerly was. Even worse, they were publicly called out on twitter just a week earlier by the Dayton radio team who was rightfully disgusted by the arrangement.

Had Stone Freeman fallen climbing the ladder while carrying some radio equipment and got hurt, VCU would have been in serious trouble. Now add to this situation the denial of access to Shane, and you have two big problems.

Now that I've spent the last two years in a wheelchair, I've seen a "range of compliance" with the ADA. You could even say VCU had advance knowledge that accessibility was a requirement for that Rhody game since Shane had been visiting VCU for about a DECADE in his present role.

VCU deserves the fullest punishment to bring change to their leadership and renewed focus on what are the BASICS since the ADA became law 32 years ago.
Well that was news to me. Just went by the article. Thanks for the information. So it would appear they done f*#@! up and need a nice backhand. Good for Donaldson!
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey