Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Unread post by ramster »

41-26 St Mary's over #1 Gonzaga with 18 minutes to go

Zags are 13-0 in WCC
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

#23 St Mary’s beats #1 Gonzaga 67-57

And yes we have a massive court storming!!!!

All top 6 teams in AP Rankings lost today. That has never happened before according to the announcers of this game.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago #23 St Mary’s beats #1 Gonzaga 67-57

All top 6 teams in AP Rankings lost today. That has never happened before according to the announcers of this game.
So awesome!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
Dayton Board says it was a game time decision "lower body injury". Their board is hot. Said Grant did not call a time out as LaSalle went on a 17-0 run.
Well yeah he was just waiting for his guys to make a basket and THEN he was gonna call one.

Oh wait. I'm thinking of someone else.
They have a funny Poll on the Dayton Message Board titled "Who screwed up most at LaSalle?"

https://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35757
Typical A-10 destroying itself.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago #23 St Mary’s beats #1 Gonzaga 67-57

Crazy day and 7 of the top 10 lost gonna be a sick Big Dance
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago No mention of Bryant here? They just won their little horseshit conference.
With all the tremendous basketball games going on today and tonight you being up Bryant?

Bashir Mason has now lost 3 of his last 5 for Wagner including losses to Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson and Merrimac. our next Head Coach?
Doubtful he is our next coach.

But in his defense during this stretch, they were without one of their top players Elijah Ford, last season 1st team NEC.
Out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

For a small program like Wagner, he is a significant loss.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago No mention of Bryant here? They just won their little horseshit conference.
With all the tremendous basketball games going on today and tonight you being up Bryant?

Bashir Mason has now lost 3 of his last 5 for Wagner including losses to Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson and Merrimac. our next Head Coach?

But in his defense during this stretch, they were without one of their top players Elijah Ford, last season 1st team NEC.

Why do you doubt he will be our next HC? I've seen his name brought up a much or more than anyone. Do you think we do better or worse than him?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

2 RI teams won conference titles today.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I am endlessly entertained by Providence’s season. They’re winning a lot of games but have also had some tremendous good fortune. Both things can be true. They needed 5 overtimes to beat DePaul, Xavier, and Butler. They aren’t making up games against the 3rd, 4th, and 6th place teams in the conference. They beat teams who were missing key players (UConn without Sanogo is not UConn, Wisconsin without Davis is not Wisconsin). It’s not the team’s fault. I like that the collection of transfers/super seniors are having a great final ride. The team’s job is to play whoever is in front of them and maybe they win those games or the make-ups anyway. Maybe they don’t. But, the reactions from the fans who are loudest and most repetitive and who are completely lacking in any kind of sense of humor are funny to me. Those people can’t just enjoy the season.
100%. I really don’t understand why they can’t just embrace how lucky they’ve been. Turn it into a “team of destiny” sort of thing.

Their collective fanbase is just the worst. Can’t have fun like the scrappy smaller program they are, need to pretend they’re a blue blood who’s “been there before” when they’re literally having the best/luckiest regular season ever.
Sounds like a lot if sour grapes to me. You talk of injuries but fail to mention Reeves being out a whole month or Durham playing with a hernia. Not once have I heard anybody say they are a blue blood and I have been Friar fan over fifty years.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I am endlessly entertained by Providence’s season. They’re winning a lot of games but have also had some tremendous good fortune. Both things can be true. They needed 5 overtimes to beat DePaul, Xavier, and Butler. They aren’t making up games against the 3rd, 4th, and 6th place teams in the conference. They beat teams who were missing key players (UConn without Sanogo is not UConn, Wisconsin without Davis is not Wisconsin). It’s not the team’s fault. I like that the collection of transfers/super seniors are having a great final ride. The team’s job is to play whoever is in front of them and maybe they win those games or the make-ups anyway. Maybe they don’t. But, the reactions from the fans who are loudest and most repetitive and who are completely lacking in any kind of sense of humor are funny to me. Those people can’t just enjoy the season.
100%. I really don’t understand why they can’t just embrace how lucky they’ve been. Turn it into a “team of destiny” sort of thing.

Their collective fanbase is just the worst. Can’t have fun like the scrappy smaller program they are, need to pretend they’re a blue blood who’s “been there before” when they’re literally having the best/luckiest regular season ever.
Sounds like a lot if sour grapes to me. You talk of injuries but fail to mention Reeves being out a whole month or Durham playing with a hernia. Not once have I heard anybody say they are a blue blood and I have been Friar fan over fifty years.
Reeves only missed a total of 5 games thanks to 3 cancelled games that month (which you never made up). 4 of those 5 games were against the bottom half of your conference. If anything your point only amplifies further luck of the timing of his injury.

Providence is having a historic season. No one here is trying to take that away from you. But it’s also okay to acknowledge how much lucked played into it. Maybe that is some team of destiny shit? Have to get lucky of course sometime along the way. But there’s so many examples to point to
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

When I was a kid Jimmy Walker and Mike Riordan owned the state. Before I went to URI they were my team. So I congratulate this year's team, coach and fans. They have a talented, experienced squad and their success is actually good for the state - and puts even more pressure on Thorr to restore luster to our program. Tammi's already done it for the Lady Rams. Let's get the men back too!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It’s 100000% sour grapes. Very jealous. But also, you guys prioritize and invest in basketball much more than we do. Your success this year is a direct result of that. I’m insanely jealous, but tip my cap.

That said. It’s been incredible luck as well. Yes, youre veteran and experienced. Yes you’re winning games - no one is saying you aren’t.

But you must’ve noticed the amount of missed shots against you at the end of games? The injury luck of who you’ve played? The cancellation of 3 huge and very possible losing games?

You had the best regular season ever, salute. But at least recognize the breaks you’ve had. Maybe it means you’re a team of destiny. Maybe there will be a regression to the mean.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The three games that got cancelled would’ve been without Reeves, so that’s also extreme lucky having those game not played.

Durham has missed one game, and falls down and flops 7 times a game acting like he broke his leg, only to be fine three minutes later.

How injured can one be if he misses one game and plays 30+ minutes every other game?
0 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Reeves only missed a total of 5 games thanks to 3 cancelled games that month (which you never made up). 4 of those 5 games were against the bottom half of your conference. If anything your point only amplifies further luck of the timing of his injury.

Providence is having a historic season. No one here is trying to take that away from you. But it’s also okay to acknowledge how much lucked played into it. Maybe that is some team of destiny shit? Have to get lucky of course sometime along the way. But there’s so many examples to point to
You absolutely are trying to take away from it by saying it is all luck and linking other message boards ( xavier) complaing about refs. Injuries and refs are part of the game. PC is like 14 -1 in games decided by 5 points are or less. That is not luck. Keep it up with the sour grapes would have expected nothing more.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

It’s 100000% sour grapes. Very jealous. But also, you guys prioritize and invest in basketball much more than we do. Your success this year is a direct result of that. I’m insanely jealous, but tip my cap.

That said. It’s been incredible luck as well. Yes, youre veteran and experienced. Yes you’re winning games - no one is saying you aren’t.

But you must’ve noticed the amount of missed shots against you at the end of games? The injury luck of who you’ve played? The cancellation of 3 huge and very possible losing games?

You had the best regular season ever, salute. But at least recognize the breaks you’ve had. Maybe it means you’re a team of destiny. Maybe there will be a regression to the mean.
I think you look at any winning team you will see they had some breaks along the way. I will absolutely take those breaks because the breaks will no doubt go against you more often then not. A good team makes their own breaks. As far as investing in the program I agree with you we are fortunate the school has taken that route. You should find out fairly soon what route Uri will go . I agree with you that a practice facility is needed to show a school is serious about competing.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The practice facility is moving forward. It is not waiting on any approvals. Those are done. The Practice Facility is already a nice incentive for recruiting future MB, WBB and Volleyball players to URI as well as Coaches if applicable.

Thorr has said on numerous occasions now going back to last November that the Design Company has been selected and they are working on the project. President Parlange has said the same.

A significant $7.9 Million Athletic Facility Project that will partner beautifully with the Ryan Center and the Weight Room that was built in Tootell East. .
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

You absolutely are trying to take away from it by saying it is all luck and linking other message boards ( xavier) complaing about refs. Injuries and refs are part of the game. PC is like 14 -1 in games decided by 5 points are or less. That is not luck. Keep it up with the sour grapes would have expected nothing more.
I mean your are statistically the luckiest team in the country, by a decently wide margin. That’s not me saying that, that’s Kenpom.

If I’m a providence fan, I’m worried about if you’re battled tested enough. Most good teams you played, and specifically good teams you beat, weren’t at full strength.

I’ll concede that there’s something to be said about having a team who doesn’t blink in close games down the stretch. Definitely takes willpower to consistently win those types of games. But 14-1 in those types of games is abnormally successful (for any team).
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

I mean your are statistically the luckiest team in the country, by a decently wide margin. That’s not me saying that, that’s Kenpom.

If I’m a providence fan, I’m worried about if you’re battled tested enough. Most good teams you played, and specifically good teams you beat, weren’t at full strength.

I’ll concede that there’s something to be said about having a team who doesn’t blink in close games down the stretch. Definitely takes willpower to consistently win those types of games. But 14-1 in those types of games is abnormally successful (for any team).
Kenpom is a joke he also has Houston as the 7th best team in the country. A team that has not won a quadrant one game.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Kenpom is a joke he also has Houston as the 7th best team in the country. A team that has not won a quadrant one game.
This is quite the take. You’re making this too easy for me. Mr. Kenpom isn’t sitting around ranking his favorite teams, a teams Kenpom ranking is based upon his statistical model.

Also quite the bone for you to pick with Houston. They beat Virginia by 20, you lost to Virginia by 18.They beat Butler by Butler by 18, you beat Butler by 7 and then by 1.

Seems to me his model is working out quite well. They’re a more efficient team
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lol if PC was 7th in KenPom would you be saying it’s a joke?

No, you wouldn’t.

Every poll/metric/evaluation tool is “a joke” if your team isn’t where you think it should be.
1 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

KenPom is good for what he is which is a predictive strength metric. KenPom himself has said that his metric should not be utilized to rank tournament teams because while he thinks efficiency is good for his purposes, he believes a 1 point win is just as good as a 61 point win which it comes to pure outcomes which should drive tournament seeding.

When it comes to luck, KenPom is not basing luck on who didn’t play or what games were cancelled. It’s based purely on his system ranking to team record.

Certainly it’s possible PCs luck runs out in the tournament and they catch a team similar to the Villanova home game a few weeks ago where a Colin Gillespie like character goes unconscious. Or maybe the fact they are so battle-tested in these scenarios means they are less likely to be rattled and make those key plays or get those big misses in key moments.

That’s the fun of college basketball, we all just don’t know. I could be sitting at home on March 17th crying about what-ifs or could be sitting here on March 25th pumped about an Elite 8 appearance. No one knows…
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago KenPom is good for what he is which is a predictive strength metric. KenPom himself has said that his metric should not be utilized to rank tournament teams because while he thinks efficiency is good for his purposes, he believes a 1 point win is just as good as a 61 point win which it comes to pure outcomes which should drive tournament seeding.

When it comes to luck, KenPom is not basing luck on who didn’t play or what games were cancelled. It’s based purely on his system ranking to team record.

Certainly it’s possible PCs luck runs out in the tournament and they catch a team similar to the Villanova home game a few weeks ago where a Colin Gillespie like character goes unconscious. Or maybe the fact they are so battle-tested in these scenarios means they are less likely to be rattled and make those key plays or get those big misses in key moments.

That’s the fun of college basketball, we all just don’t know. I could be sitting at home on March 17th crying about what-ifs or could be sitting here on March 25th pumped about an Elite 8 appearance. No one knows…

Your second paragraph then just proves how lucky PC actually is.

If it doesn’t take into account injured players and missing games, and PC is STILL ranked first, imagine if it did take those factors into account?

Would be the luckiest team of all time.

Wisconsin- first team All American out
UConn - best player out
Seton Hall - 6 players out
Home Xavier - 10 ppg scorer out
Away Xavier - X game winning layup in and out and then a Bynum game winner
Creighton - starting PG out

@ Seton Hall, @ Creighton, home UConn cancelled.
1 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Lol if PC was 7th in KenPom would you be saying it’s a joke?

No, you wouldn’t.

Every poll/metric/evaluation tool is “a joke” if your team isn’t where you think it should be.
PC is 14-3 in q1/2 games compared to 7-4 for them. PC would make a lot more sense then them.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago KenPom is good for what he is which is a predictive strength metric. KenPom himself has said that his metric should not be utilized to rank tournament teams because while he thinks efficiency is good for his purposes, he believes a 1 point win is just as good as a 61 point win which it comes to pure outcomes which should drive tournament seeding.

If it doesn’t take into account injured players and missing games, and PC is STILL ranked first, imagine if it did take those factors into account?

UConn - best player out

This will certainly sound like another sour grapes post and for the most part it is, pc can really only play who's in front of them and the fact that they've played the majority of their tougher games against teams missing key components as already outlined is out of their control. If Villanova again beats pc in the upcoming game, you'll get a ton more people questioning the legitimacy of the reg season title. Throw on top of that pc skipping out on making up BE games (except for winless Georgetown of course), and the fact that Villanova played 20 games and pc only played 17. PC "missed" home games vs UCONN and road games against The Hall and Creighton, certainly throwing a ton of shade on the reg season title. There were 5 BE games not made up this year, pc was involved in 3 of them. The good thing for pc is they can shut up alot of people by either taking care of Nova or having a nice run in either the BE or NCAA tournaments.
They've gone 42 years of not winning a BE reg season title, let them at least enjoy this one (*)
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago

UConn - best player out

This will certainly sound like another sour grapes post and for the most part it is, pc can really only play who's in front of them and the fact that they've played the majority of their tougher games against teams missing key components as already outlined is out of their control. If Villanova again beats pc in the upcoming game, you'll get a ton more people questioning the legitimacy of the reg season title. Throw on top of that pc skipping out on making up BE games (except for winless Georgetown of course), and the fact that Villanova played 20 games and pc only played 17. PC "missed" home games vs UCONN and road games against The Hall and Creighton, certainly throwing a ton of shade on the reg season title. There were 5 BE games not made up this year, pc was involved in 3 of them. The good thing for pc is they can shut up alot of people by either taking care of Nova or having a nice run in either the BE or NCAA tournaments.
They've gone 42 years of not winning a BE reg season title, let them at least enjoy this one (*)
Agreed with you can only play who’s on your schedule and who’s healthy on the other team when you do.

But what you can control is how you perform in those games. Sure PC won them, as they should have if they’re good, but they were winning all these games by 3-5 points. You’d think they’d be able to separate vs teams missing key pieces.

Echoing your point tho - none of this matters. Only thing that matters is how they do in March Madness. I think PC fans would agree (Or I’d hope they would) that this season is a failure if they don’t win at least make it past the round of 32
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think it can both be true that PC is a quality team, and that they benefited from luck. Heck, most teams that win NBA or NCAA championships benefit from luck at some point, given how many consecutive wins you need. It's valid if you're trying to handicap their chances going forward - I wouldn't be as bullish on them as a Final Four team, given that they're 38th in the KenPom rankings. But wins are wins, and they're going to get a nice bump in revenue from this year's finish, as well as in next year's season ticket numbers.
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

UConn - best player out

Agreed with you can only play who’s on your schedule and who’s healthy on the other team when you do.

But what you can control is how you perform in those games. Sure PC won them, as they should have if they’re good, but they were winning all these games by 3-5 points. You’d think they’d be able to separate vs teams missing key pieces.

Echoing your point tho - none of this matters. Only thing that matters is how they do in March Madness. I think PC fans would agree (Or I’d hope they would) that this season is a failure if they don’t win at least make it past the round of 32
Yes I agree it would be a disappointment without some success. I'm sure that is what you guys are rooting for.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The thing is, PC literally did not play who was on their schedule.

@ Creighton, @ Seton Hall, home UConn were on the schedule and PC did not play them.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes I agree it would be a disappointment without some success. I'm sure that is what you guys are rooting for.

As you guys would be rooting for no success if we were in a similar position.

Which is exactly how it should be between two rival fan bases.
0 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago The thing is, PC literally did not play who was on their schedule.

@ Creighton, @ Seton Hall, home UConn were on the schedule and PC did not play them.
In case you haven't heard there was a pandemic going on with which they had no control over. The Big East was responsible for making up games and decided it was not to be. I personally would have loved to have had a chance to beat uconn again.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The problem is people remember who is in or out depending on what is convenient for them…

When people talk about Reeves being out, it’s excuses about how he should have missed more games or how he missed games against a certain caliber of teams.

Or that Durhams hernia issues are somehow self-inflicted by the way he plays and not that he’s been struggling for 5 weeks.

Or that PC beat a legit Top 10 fully healthy team in Texas Tech without Bynum playing.

You talk about the lucky bounces during games or the calls that benefit PC but ignore the the guys missing from games ir the crap calls against them.

Sure, I’ll give you that all in, I think PC definitely had more things break their way. But you just cannot get to 14-3 Q1/Q2 just based solely on luck. There has to be legit skill there.
3 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Odd question about todays UCONN game

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

I didn't want to bother the board about this, but...

Does anyone watching Uconn right now not have announcers? I have full sound of the game itself but no announcers. Kinda nice lol

So I put closed caption on, and viola, the announcers words words are there. The commercials are normal. The cries, refs and sneaker squeaks are loud.

I've never seen this before and my curiosity forced me to ask you folks lol
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Odd question about todays UCONN game

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodeIslandRams wrote: 2 years ago I didn't want to bother the board about this, but...

Does anyone watching Uconn right now not have announcers? I have full sound of the game itself but no announcers. Kinda nice lol

So I put closed caption on, and viola, the announcers words words are there. The commercials are normal. The cries, refs and sneaker squeaks are loud.

Thats pretty weird! I watched and had announcers the whole game, so not sure whats going on there.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RhodeIslandRams wrote: 2 years ago I didn't want to bother the board about this, but...

My TV feed had announcer audio for the whole game. That’s odd. We’re you streaming or watching on TV?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago The problem is people remember who is in or out depending on what is convenient for them…

When people talk about Reeves being out, it’s excuses about how he should have missed more games or how he missed games against a certain caliber of teams.

Or that Durhams hernia issues are somehow self-inflicted by the way he plays and not that he’s been struggling for 5 weeks.

Or that PC beat a legit Top 10 fully healthy team in Texas Tech without Bynum playing.

You talk about the lucky bounces during games or the calls that benefit PC but ignore the the guys missing from games ir the crap calls against them.

Sure, I’ll give you that all in, I think PC definitely had more things break their way. But you just cannot get to 14-3 Q1/Q2 just based solely on luck. There has to be legit skill there.
You’re right RJ. I think people recognize (or hopefully recognize) that PC is a good team. My personal thoughts are their record is a few wins better than it should be. Doesn’t make them bad, just over performing. Hopefully the trend continues for you guys
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

My TV feed had announcer audio for the whole game. That’s odd. We’re you streaming or watching on TV?
Good point, could be because I have YouTube TV not traditional television. (Highly recommended by the way) but it's never happened before.
0 x
dmac80
Jim Eitner

Unread post by dmac80 »

Lurker and huge PC fan who had to post. The crying in here by Rams fans over the 3 missed games that the BE is entirely in control of is much more than sour grapes. It is pathetic. NO ONE complained about missed games last year when Villanova won the BE reg season while they played 5 LESS GAMES than Creighton and won 3 less (11-4 vs 14-6). No one put any asterisks and Villanova apologies to no one for that. You're program is an irrelevant dumpster fire, we have a much richer and longer history over you, even taking in the relative NCAA wins drought PC has suffered since our elite 8 run. We routinely draw over 10,000 fans and sellout our 13k arena for conference games while you struggle to attract 5k to your 7500 seat gym. Even when Hurley was winning you couldn't fill it unless WE came to town. GO AWAY NOW while we continue to compete in the best conference in the country and you;re relegated to a glorified mid major with no media attention or TV coverage.

I'm sure this post will be quickly deleted and I'll be banned but whoever sees this will know it is all true.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

dmac80 wrote: 2 years ago Lurker and huge PC fan who had to post. The crying in here by Rams fans over the 3 missed games that the BE is entirely in control of is much more than sour grapes. It is pathetic. NO ONE complained about missed games last year when Villanova won the BE reg season while they played 5 LESS GAMES than Creighton and won 3 less (11-4 vs 14-6). No one put any asterisks and Villanova apologies to no one for that. You're program is an irrelevant dumpster fire, we have a much richer and longer history over you, even taking in the relative NCAA wins drought PC has suffered since our elite 8 run. We routinely draw over 10,000 fans and sellout our 13k arena for conference games while you struggle to attract 5k to your 7500 seat gym. Even when Hurley was winning you couldn't fill it unless WE came to town. GO AWAY NOW while we continue to compete in the best conference in the country and you;re relegated to a glorified mid major with no media attention or TV coverage.

I'm sure this post will be quickly deleted and I'll be banned but whoever sees this will know it is all true.
1-800-Therapist

Best year in program history and we still have that much real estate in that PC brain of yours huh?

Hope you guys hang a Big East regular season title banner. Regular seasons are what matter in Providence
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

dmac80 wrote: 2 years ago Lurker and huge PC fan who had to post. The crying in here by Rams fans over the 3 missed games that the BE is entirely in control of is much more than sour grapes. It is pathetic. NO ONE complained about missed games last year when Villanova won the BE reg season while they played 5 LESS GAMES than Creighton and won 3 less (11-4 vs 14-6). No one put any asterisks and Villanova apologies to no one for that. You're program is an irrelevant dumpster fire, we have a much richer and longer history over you, even taking in the relative NCAA wins drought PC has suffered since our elite 8 run. We routinely draw over 10,000 fans and sellout our 13k arena for conference games while you struggle to attract 5k to your 7500 seat gym. Even when Hurley was winning you couldn't fill it unless WE came to town. GO AWAY NOW while we continue to compete in the best conference in the country and you;re relegated to a glorified mid major with no media attention or TV coverage.

Once again we have another reminder of how classless PC fans are from top to bottom. True fans rejoice and focus on what their team has achieved rather than post on a rival's board showing intolerance of the views of others by petty attacks based on distortion. Grow some thick skin chump and keep believing we only sellout Ryan when PC comes to town, the facts tell an different story. And if URI could get some P5 schools to come to Ryan - and there are many schools with better pedigrees that PC - we would have even more.

P. S. Referring to the Dunk as "our" arena is laughable. PC doesn't spend a dime on improvements to the place and the school is the perfect definition of a parasite on the State.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s a couple people. Doesn’t matter to me if you had games you couldn’t play because of Covid. It happens.
Leveraging the extra 5th year from Covid, getting transfers with immediate eligibility? Nailed it
Bynum - St Joseph’s
Croswell - LaSalle
Horchler - North Florida
Durham - Indiana
Watson - Extra 5th year

Whoever is scouting the transfer market talent and getting signed deserves a lot of credit. Who needs freshmen.

Now if you want to talk about last year’s #WhoDuckin game I’m all ears :lol: :lol:

You won’t get banned, but I got banned from your board years ago - probably deserved it :oops:
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I hope y'all make a deep run.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on dmac you are better than that !!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

1-800-Therapist

Best year in program history and we still have that much real estate in that PC brain of yours huh?

Hope you guys hang a Big East regular season title banner. Regular seasons are what matter in Providence

To be fair, we hung a regular season A10 title banner.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Less than half of this is true, but keep doin you.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Less than half of this is true, but keep doin you.
Which half does "irrelevant dumpster fire" go in? the true, or untrue part? (Asking for a friend)
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

It must suck knowing that a URI team in a "glorified mid major" has had more NCAA success than pc who plays in the "best conference" over the past 25 years, Its understandable the hate and anger that alone must consume you. The other problem is you compared your situation to a true blue blood of college basketball in Villanova who has proven year after year why they are an elite program. The fact is you're much closer to URI in stature than Nova. Just enjoy this dream season and hope that Cooley doesn't get poached by a legit P5 school in the off season.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It'll never stop being weird to me how many PC fans spend their time on a URI message board. All those negatives you listed about us yet we're still in your head enough for you to lurk and post here. Must be tough.
7 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Why do you doubt he will be our next HC? I've seen his name brought up a much or more than anyone. Do you think we do better or worse than him?
Ramster, my biggest concern with a hire like him, is that the rebuilding process would probably take more time than most fans here would accept.

I think they would first test the waters with some of the bigger names and splash hire candidates.

I think once the season ends, there may be more to choose from as far as coaches becoming available that may have struggled as of late in P5 schools.

Also I wouldn't mind someone like Becker or Boals
I had even mentioned Robert Jones in earlier posts.
Gates may be too big of a reach for us as an up and comer.

If we go the assistant route Young should be high on the list.

I think Bashir Mason is a very good young coach, but maybe at this time just not the right fit for us.

Same goes for Grasso or Skerry, both of them would be underwhelming.

Matt Langel would be another interesting candidate.
If 2020 post season wasn't cancelled this season would probably be his 4th straight NCAAT.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Becker, Boals, Jones, and Mason would be the 4 that would to me, be the best candidates currently, outside of Archie of course.

Grasso and Skerry are a big NO.

Young is intriguing, but I think Hurley could have some say there, especially since we would be firing his friend and ex head assistant Cox.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Becker, Boals, Jones, and Mason would be the 4 that would to me, be the best candidates currently, outside of Archie of course.

Grasso and Skerry are a big NO.

Young is intriguing, but I think Hurley could have some say there, especially since we would be firing his friend and ex head assistant Cox.
Young getting a head coaching position opens a spot on Hurley's staff for Cox.. yes, maybe, no?? Could be a win for Cox and us in the long run.
0 x