2/26 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/26 | Duquesne | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by section(105) »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago Mitchell twins only played like 2 minutes this second half.
……coach didn’t want risk either getting injured?………ya know for the run to A-10 championship in DC……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Where was this El-Amin all year?

Waiting for some part of the offense to have him take some shots!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Barely 3 pages for a game thread we have fallen so far
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The best part of this season is it being close to over
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

So 2600 fans on senior day is considered a decent crowd now? What has this program become. My friend who has 8 season tickets and is at the game just texted this to me.

Really Sad crowd at the Ryan center today. Senior day too.
Lol no . All I’m saying is that I thought it would be even worse.
Why was that so hard for them to understand?

I also thought it would be worse.
4,668 announced attendance. About the same as announced for recent Dayton and Davidson games. BUT there were a lot more people in seats for todays game than for the Davidson and Dayton - especially the Dayton 9pm Monday Valentines game where there were probable 1200 to 1500 actual bodies with 4700 announced.

Better physical turnout than I expected today by a considerable margin. Wednesday St Louis will likely be pretty low turnout.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Delroy James was at the game today, his picture put up on the big screen from where he was sitting and he was announced!!

Don Kaull also made it to today's Senior Day game. Was good to see him.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Barely 3 pages for a game thread we have fallen so far
Partially due to quality of play, partially due to wussification...
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..NYG……is that you?…….welcome back…..
Missed ya……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

We’re back baby. Start of a 12 game win streak that takes us to the final four. You feel it too….??
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well if we get Duquesne in the 11-14 game in DC, we'll likely survive until Thursday, so there's that....

LOL

Before that however, will we win either of our last 2 regular season games?

I think we'll split, finish 15-14, win 1 lose 1 in DC, end up 16-15.

See ya Dave.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Well if we get Duquesne in the 11-14 game in DC, we'll likely survive until Thursday, so there's that....

LOL

Before that however, will we win either of our last 2 regular season games?

I think we'll split, finish 15-14, win 1 lose 1 in DC, end up 16-15.

See ya Dave.
Maybe 1-1 possibly 0-2 doubtful 2-0
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago

Lol no . All I’m saying is that I thought it would be even worse.

4,668 announced attendance. About the same as announced for recent Dayton and Davidson games. BUT there were a lot more people in seats for todays game than for the Davidson and Dayton - especially the Dayton 9pm Monday Valentines game where there were probable 1200 to 1500 actual bodies with 4700 announced.

Better physical turnout than I expected today by a considerable margin. Wednesday St Louis will likely be pretty low turnout.
I imagine the difference is accounted for people using their season tickets, vs. not. A chance to actually get a win and Senior Night no doubt led to some more butts in seats.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I imagine the difference is accounted for people using their season tickets, vs. not. A chance to actually get a win and Senior Night no doubt led to some more butts in seats.
Yep. Plus people want to go to Senior Day every year no matter how bad the team is. Saturday afternoon. Sunny Day. Easy Driving after we have been having some lousy weather.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Best game of his URI Career for El-Amin today. Maybe fly his family for all the remaining games?

28 minutes
7-12 FG, 3-7 3FG, 4-5 FT for 21 points beating his season high of 16
7 rebounds
2 steals
zero turnovers

Can he carry performances like this in the A10 Tourney?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He seemed like a different player today. Looking for shot opportunities. A little quicker. Like where has this guy been? Better late than never?
Will be interesting to see how he performs Wednesday night vs St Louis
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago He seemed like a different player today. Looking for shot opportunities. A little quicker. Like where has this guy been? Better late than never?
Yeah crazy how he went off after not doing anything maybe it’s a sign of things to come ??
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago He seemed like a different player today. Looking for shot opportunities. A little quicker. Like where has this guy been? Better late than never?
Helps when you play the worst team in the conference
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Helps when you play the worst team in the conference
True, but then we played teams that were not so good in OOC play. Plus our other players also played the worst team in the conference but they didn't elevate their game like El-Amin did.
Whatever it was I hope it continues
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The most interesting part of this game, to me, was seeing who didn’t go through senior day festivities. Antwan and Malik have both played four years and look to be taking their extra year… somewhere. Will it be in Kingston?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Are you saying that Ace from the perspective that David Cox may be back?
Or that Antwan and Malik may stay in Kingston with a new HC or move to other programs?
or both?

I thought similar to Antwan yesterday, but had not thought about Malik to be honest.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago The most interesting part of this game, to me, was seeing who didn’t go through senior day festivities. Antwan and Malik have both played four years and look to be taking their extra year… somewhere. Will it be in Kingston?
Sheppard was honored last year for senior night as well before changing his mind and coming back this season.

I’m not looking too much into them not being honored.
1 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago The most interesting part of this game, to me, was seeing who didn’t go through senior day festivities. Antwan and Malik have both played four years and look to be taking their extra year… somewhere. Will it be in Kingston?
Sheppard was honored last year for senior night as well before changing his mind and coming back this season.

But that makes sense about Sheppard. He didn’t know what he was going to do, so he participated. Plenty of players had one last year and will again this year, this time with fans present. No one says you can only have one. Choosing not to seems like a type of decision has been made. Sure, maybe they don’t care and are going to go pick up a pro contract somewhere, but it’s something I’ll look forward to hearing for sure.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Interesting that you said this. My wife turned to me yesterday and asked if I saw Walker and Carey after Sheppard walked out to mid court. I missed it, but she said they both started to walk out jokingly.. was that a message? 🤔.. too bad this is our current concentration about the program.. observation and speculation..
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago
Interesting that you said this. My wife turned to me yesterday and asked if I saw Walker and Carey after Sheppard walked out to mid court. I missed it, but she said they both started to walk out jokingly.. was that a message? 🤔.. too bad this is our current concentration about the program.. observation and speculation..
What message do you think that might have been?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

But that makes sense about Sheppard. He didn’t know what he was going to do, so he participated. Plenty of players had one last year and will again this year, this time with fans present. No one says you can only have one. Choosing not to seems like a type of decision has been made. Sure, maybe they don’t care and are going to go pick up a pro contract somewhere, but it’s something I’ll look forward to hearing for sure.
On several broadcasts yesterday it was Senior Day. I heard mentioned several times that some players were being honored for the 2nd time as they were honored last season too. Grad Transfers and players deciding to play an extra year because Covid rules gave everyone an extra year of eligibility plus last year they didn’t have Senior recognition in front of fans and friends - only limited family if that.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Ok it happened again yesterday. Boze spoke during an entire timeout and Cox just stood there.

I just don’t get what is going on here.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago Ok it happened again yesterday. Boze spoke during an entire timeout and Cox just stood there.

It’s not out of the realm for assistant coaches to talk to the team during timeouts.

Happens regularly across the country.
0 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

So Cox goes with a smaller lineup and the guards play well offensively. Interesting.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago Ok it happened again yesterday. Boze spoke during an entire timeout and Cox just stood there.

It’s not out of the realm for assistant coaches to talk to the team during timeouts.

Happens regularly across the country.
You get a gold star today Captain Obvious.

Boze has been more of a lay down the law during these timeouts not strategy
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

So at least in high school basketball, Senior Night games can often have a weirdness to them, because you'll sometimes get a hyped up player who doesn't usually start just going out there, getting some shots up, and getting hot. That's kind of what it felt like with El-Amin. His line this year has been truly bizarre - His last two years at Ball State, he averaged 19.9 and 23.3 FGA per 100 possessions. This year, he's at 13.2, and it's not like he's had a Ben Simmons or Rajon Rondo-like breakdown in his shot. The complete abandonment of looking for his own shot has caused his PER to crater from 16.0 the past two years, to 11.6 this year. Since this is one game against the dregs of the Atlantic 10, I don't really have much faith that the performance will continue, but if he had played like this all year URI is probably more "middle of the pack" than trying to avoid the play-in game.

I think the Mitchells getting sat for a good portion of the second half, and the guards playing well, is obviously getting a lot of oxygen here. I'm not sure how much correlation there is between the two, though. Duquesne is bad, so it's hard to draw anything from this game. It's probably worth experimenting with just one big man going forward anyway though, because you're pretty much at the "nothing left to lose" portion of the season.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And we are bad. Worse than Fordham and UMASS in A10 standings.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago And we are bad. Worse than Fordham and UMASS in A10 standings.
We’re ahead of UMass.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 years ago And we are bad. Worse than Fordham and UMASS in A10 standings.
We're #123 in KenPom - Duquesne is #289, near programs like Hartford, Radford, Western Carolina and Prairie View A&M. They're about 50 spots worse than La Salle, the next closest A-10 team to them.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The color analyst mentioned where Jalen Carey ended up after a free throw- 2-3 feet in front of the line. A former player, he said that this showed a lack of commitment on his FTs and was a reason for his poor FT%. Do we have coaches who review films, identify technical flaws and work with players to improve their technique? From what I see, I doubt it.

As a golfer I have a terrible swing. I never had golf lessons as a youth and swing the club as though it is a baseball bat. My game has never recovered despite more recent attempts by teaching pros to correct my swing. As with Jalen's FT shooting, my performance will get worse in the short term if I change my technique before it improves. Needless to say, making changes in the middle of a season is not a good idea for Jalen. It will takes weeks of practice with continuous monitoring to ensure he doesn't revert to bad habits.

URI needs coaches to teach correct technique and monitor progress.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago URI needs coaches to teach correct technique and monitor progress.
Your true calling! Time to rip off the shirt to reveal your Free Throw Man suit and cape.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The color analyst mentioned where Jalen Carey ended up after a free throw- 2-3 feet in front of the line. A former player, he said that this showed a lack of commitment on his FTs and was a reason for his poor FT%. Do we have coaches who review films, identify technical flaws and work with players to improve their technique? From what I see, I doubt it.

As a golfer I have a terrible swing. I never had golf lessons as a youth and swing the club as though it is a baseball bat. My game has never recovered despite more recent attempts by teaching pros to correct my swing. As with Jalen's FT shooting, my performance will get worse in the short term if I change my technique before it improves. Needless to say, making changes in the middle of a season is not a good idea for Jalen. It will takes weeks of practice with continuous monitoring to ensure he doesn't revert to bad habits.

Since you taught Jimmy Baron how to shoot free throws, maybe he can teach you how to swing a golf club.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The color analyst mentioned where Jalen Carey ended up after a free throw- 2-3 feet in front of the line. A former player, he said that this showed a lack of commitment on his FTs and was a reason for his poor FT%. Do we have coaches who review films, identify technical flaws and work with players to improve their technique? From what I see, I doubt it.

I remember that comment. That FT was the first of 2 and the second one had good form and was nothing but net. The same announcer noted, "much better" - so was it bad form, or a one off?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

I remember that comment. That FT was the first of 2 and the second one had good form and was nothing but net. The same announcer noted, "much better" - so was it bad form, or a one off?
Bingo.
I was at the game but watched the game replay yesterday. Having read this FT comment I watched closely.

Carey missed the 1st and took 2-3 steps towards the basket.
The 2nd he kept both feet at the line and never moved either foot til the ball swished.

So did he know he shot a bad one the 1st shot and in frustration walk towards the hoop? Most likely.

You just don’t have one form for ghe -st and another form for the second - had to be he knew he blew the 1st one.
1 x