Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Unread post by ace »

I am endlessly entertained by Providence’s season. They’re winning a lot of games but have also had some tremendous good fortune. Both things can be true. They needed 5 overtimes to beat DePaul, Xavier, and Butler. They aren’t making up games against the 3rd, 4th, and 6th place teams in the conference. They beat teams who were missing key players (UConn without Sanogo is not UConn, Wisconsin without Davis is not Wisconsin). It’s not the team’s fault. I like that the collection of transfers/super seniors are having a great final ride. The team’s job is to play whoever is in front of them and maybe they win those games or the make-ups anyway. Maybe they don’t. But, the reactions from the fans who are loudest and most repetitive and who are completely lacking in any kind of sense of humor are funny to me. Those people can’t just enjoy the season.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I am endlessly entertained by Providence’s season. They’re winning a lot of games but have also had some tremendous good fortune. Both things can be true. They needed 5 overtimes to beat DePaul, Xavier, and Butler. They aren’t making up games against the 3rd, 4th, and 6th place teams in the conference. They beat teams who were missing key players (UConn without Sanogo is not UConn, Wisconsin without Davis is not Wisconsin). It’s not the team’s fault. I like that the collection of transfers/super seniors are having a great final ride. The team’s job is to play whoever is in front of them and maybe they win those games or the make-ups anyway. Maybe they don’t. But, the reactions from the fans who are loudest and most repetitive and who are completely lacking in any kind of sense of humor are funny to me. Those people can’t just enjoy the season.
100%. I really don’t understand why they can’t just embrace how lucky they’ve been. Turn it into a “team of destiny” sort of thing.

Their collective fanbase is just the worst. Can’t have fun like the scrappy smaller program they are, need to pretend they’re a blue blood who’s “been there before” when they’re literally having the best/luckiest regular season ever.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago

PC did get the benefit of that BS flagrant foul call.
Rule changes eliminated the intentional foul, so now any intentional is called a flagrant.
Not true at all.
A flagrant foul is only called when it is deemed excessive, unnecessary, or severe (flagrant 1 or 2).
That wasn't even close in this game, even the announcers were very surprised at the call.

If they call a flagrant on any intentional foul, it would be called during every close game when teams purposely put players on the foul line.
That is never the case.
Here is an Xavier view of the officiating

https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/202 ... providence
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 2 years ago They beat teams who were missing key players (UConn without Sanogo is not UConn, Wisconsin without Davis is not Wisconsin).
And they'll now get Creighton without Nembhard.
4 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

On the Nunge foul, agree that it's rare to see that called. But the rule is there to eliminate the hack-a-shaq in college. I forget the terminology they use, but essentially they aren't going to let you choose your own foul shooter in that scenario. If a guy is out of the play, you can't wrap him up rather than sending a guy to the foul line who is in a position to receive an inbounds pass. Archie Miller was talking about it on the Field of 68 podcast last night, and he referenced the rule.

Regardless - game was wild.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Rule changes eliminated the intentional foul, so now any intentional is called a flagrant.
Not true at all.
A flagrant foul is only called when it is deemed excessive, unnecessary, or severe (flagrant 1 or 2).
That wasn't even close in this game, even the announcers were very surprised at the call.

If they call a flagrant on any intentional foul, it would be called during every close game when teams purposely put players on the foul line.
That is never the case.
Here is an Xavier view of the officiating

https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/202 ... providence
Exactly, that flagrant call was ridiculous against Xavier, especially with what PC got away with prior to that.
The officiating definitely benefitted PC.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I should add - I thought the worst call of the night is one no one seems to be talking about. Durham's foul on Nunge absolutely was a Flagrant 1 in OT1. Huge call for that to be a common foul.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago I should add - I thought the worst call of the night is one no one seems to be talking about. Durham's foul on Nunge absolutely was a Flagrant 1 in OT1. Huge call for that to be a common foul.
Players get called for a flagrant when they hook a player, but Durham’s is a common foul when he grabbed both his shoulders not going for the ball at all?

That was a ridiculously bad call.
0 x
Go Rhody
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Looked like he shoved Watson out of bounds before the ball was even in bounded, no?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago Looked like he shoved Watson out of bounds before the ball was even in bounded, no?
There was a little shoving but didn't warrant a flagrant call.

Watson body checked and hit Kunkel in the head in the 2nd OT and nothing was called.

If anything, Durham's foul on Nunge (1st OT) was much more flagrant and yet only a common foul was called.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago Looked like he shoved Watson out of bounds before the ball was even in bounded, no?

Watson body checked and hit Kunkel in the head in the 2nd OT and nothing was called.

If anything, Durham's foul on Nunge was much more flagrant and yet only a common foul was called.
Lots of stuff on both sides that weren’t called. It’s not just this game either. It really has seemed to get worse the last few years. How many bad calls have we complained about here. I don’t think is my imagination, things are worse.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If anything, Durham's foul on Nunge was much more flagrant and yet only a common foul was called.
Lots of stuff on both sides that weren’t called. It’s not just this game either. It really has seemed to get worse the last few years. How many bad calls have we complained about here. I don’t think is my imagination, things are worse.
I think it's probably a combination of two things: 1) Super high definition recordings and replays from almost every angle imaginable, so you notice every blown call now. 2) Given #1, who wants to be a ref nowadays? I did book and PA announcing for a Rhode Island high school for about a dozen years, but I was never tempted to get into reffing. The money was only slightly better, and you have to deal with people screaming at you for two hours.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I think it's a lot of people's imaginations. There have been bad, bad calls since the beginning of time. The difference is that every call is now exposed via replay, TV, internet, etc. and there are fans on message boards analyzing every single call.

When a bad call was made 30 years ago...people booed...they moved on to the next play...it was addressed in postgame...fans drove home...and maybe there was a sentence about it in the paper the next day.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I think it's probably a combination of two things: 1) Super high definition recordings and replays from almost every angle imaginable, so you notice every blown call now. 2) Given #1, who wants to be a ref nowadays? I did book and PA announcing for a Rhode Island high school for about a dozen years, but I was never tempted to get into reffing. The money was only slightly better, and you have to deal with people screaming at you for two hours.
The thing about HD/tech is a great point - seems so self evident but I hadnt really thought about it. And yeah, being a ref is a terrible job. It's like being a cop. We need em but I am all set.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Jacob Toppin with his 2nd consecutive start in Kentucky's 71-66 win over LSU.
Played 39 minutes 8pts / 6 rebounds. No turnovers. Last game vs Alabama Toppin played 40 minutes with no turnovers.
Tshiebwe in 38 minutes 17 pmts / 16 rebounds / 3 blocks and No turnovers. Top candidate for D1 POY

FGCU won @ Liberty in OT as Tavian Martin-Dunn (transfer from Duquesne) career high 43 points

Loyola Chicago was favored by 21 vs Evansville. They trounced Evansville 82-31 winning by 51 points :oops: :oops:

South Kingstown's Keegan Records 27 minutes 25 points / 14 rebounds in Colgate win over Holy Cross

Boston College 6 pt underdogs won at NC State 69-61. James Karnik who played well against URI in the 2nd game played had 11 its / 9 rebounds
How many people said Toppin made a terrible move going there? Did he ever start for us? Not sure but at this point it’s obvious he made the right move
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Georgetown has its best chance to get a conference win tonight against DePaul. Just an absolutely miserable season for them.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Georgetown has its best chance to get a conference win tonight against DePaul. Just an absolutely miserable season for them.
Does Ewing survive this ?? They have zero conference wins
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

reef wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Georgetown has its best chance to get a conference win tonight against DePaul. Just an absolutely miserable season for them.
Yup, already renewed for next season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yup, already renewed for next season.
Many fans were unhappy about this.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Richmond beats SLU 68-66 in final seconds.
SLU was up by 10 at the half.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fun game to watch , the A10 tournament gonna be interesting
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Creighton at Providence tonight.

Creighton will be without their star PG Ryan Nembhard (huge loss), out for the remainder of the season with a wrist injury.
His brother Andrew is the starting PG for Gonzaga and was All-WCC.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Lmao PC gunna win the big east playing every team without a significant player
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

La Salle beat Dayton. WUT?????
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago Lmao PC gunna win the big east playing every team without a significant player
Luckiest team in America
2 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Sometimes it better to be lucky than good. TBH, I wish we were that lucky.

But, I hope with every bone in my body that it’s runs out in a flaming dumpster fire first round loss in the ncaa’s.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago La Salle beat Dayton. WUT?????
Huge surprise there Dsyton led by 11 @ the half too
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton had climbed all the way to NET 47 and then blows it against NET 246 LaSalle. Not good when you are trying to get on the bubble then to have a loss like that. Only team worse than LaSalle in NET is Duquesne and even we beat Duquesne.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton had climbed all the way to NET 47 and then blows it against NET 246 LaSalle. Not good when you are trying to get on the bubble then to have a loss like that. Only team worse than LaSalle in NET is Duquesne and even we beat Duquesne.
Yeah really bad loss there as they were climbing up the bubble with that NET

Watching Bona @ Joes now
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Saw that Dayton's top player Camara didn't play, not sure why, didn't previously hear of an injury.

Also interesting PG Malachi Smith only played 8 minutes, he was averaging 30 min. and their 3rd leading scorer.

Weaver also didn't play for them today.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saw that Dayton's top player Camara didn't play, not sure why, didn't previously hear of an injury.

Also interesting PG Malachi Smith only played 8 minutes, he was averaging 30 min. and their 3rd leading scorer.

Weaver also didn't play for them today.
Dayton Board says it was a game time decision "lower body injury". Their board is hot. Said Grant did not call a time out as LaSalle went on a 17-0 run.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the A10 going to get 2 teams in the dance if Davidson loses the conference tournament if they win it we will get 1
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Dayton Board says it was a game time decision "lower body injury". Their board is hot. Said Grant did not call a time out as LaSalle went on a 17-0 run.
Well yeah he was just waiting for his guys to make a basket and THEN he was gonna call one.

Oh wait. I'm thinking of someone else.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
Well yeah he was just waiting for his guys to make a basket and THEN he was gonna call one.

Oh wait. I'm thinking of someone else.
They have a funny Poll on the Dayton Message Board titled "Who screwed up most at LaSalle?"

https://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35757
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Bonaventure in a war down 1 under 3 minutes OO out with an ankle Injury
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago St Bonaventure in a war down 1 under 3 minutes OO out with an ankle Injury
Reef,
Seemed like Homes took about 6 baby steps on that last drive to the hoop for the 3 point play?? No traveling?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago St Bonaventure in a war down 1 under 3 minutes OO out with an ankle Injury
Reef,
Seemed like Homes took about 6 baby steps on that last drive to the hoop for the 3 point play?? No traveling?
Yeah looked that way Ramster , that kid Hall for Joes is really smooth
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Reef,
Reynolds missed the 1st of the 1 and 1 and he is 87% ft shooter
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Reef,
Reynolds missed the 1st of the 1 and 1 and he is 87% ft shooter
Right and well executed ally oop by Mark Schmidty
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow that was not a charge the Bona guy was not set
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bonnie’s win they win 54-52
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Bonnie’s win they win 54-52
The ankle injury to Osun looked bad, he may be out for awhile.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

No mention of Bryant here? They just won their little horseshit conference.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago No mention of Bryant here? They just won their little horseshit conference.
With all the tremendous basketball games going on today and tonight you being up Bryant?

Bashir Mason has now lost 3 of his last 5 for Wagner including losses to Bryant, Fairleigh Dickinson and Merrimac. our next Head Coach?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago No mention of Bryant here? They just won their little horseshit conference.
Meh, it's a horse shit conference. We typically don't have many posts about how well Brown is doing, on the rare times they have a decent team.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Court storm @ the dunk
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Court storm @ the dunk
well deserved, good for them
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Top 25 teams losing today:

#2 Arizona loses to Colorado 79-63
#3 Auburn loses to #17 Tennessee67-62
#4 Purdue loses to Michigan State 68-65
#5 Kansas loses to #10 Baylor
#6 Kentucky loses to #18 Arkansas
#9 Texas Tech loses to TCU

#1 Gonzaga is losing 31-21 to St Mary's still in 1st half

All Top 6 teams could end up losing today of St Mary's holds on

ok back to Bryant :roll:
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago ok back to Bryant :roll:
Twitter this week said Bryant to America East? Is that more or less horseshitty? Horseshittier? Lateral shit of horse move?
1 x