Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Love some Archie.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I like Archie Miller, but if you take a quick look at his time in Indiana it was not very good. I think his experience and his past success at Dayton and coaching assistant at Arizona would be valuable. I am definitely in favor of Miller, but his time at Indiana to their fans is similar to how we few Cox at URI on a different level.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Richmond fires Mooney and they’re also interested in Archie, how do we convince him to come here instead of there?
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Many on this board are concerned about how quickly we can move on once the season ends- that we should not lose out on whoever our first choice is because we waited too long and lost the candidate at the finish line. I agree!

I again, ask the question, what is there to lose by getting rid of Cox now, and getting a jump on the replacement process?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago Is CFL willing to come out of retirement?????
That’s all part of da process!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Many on this board are concerned about how quickly we can move on once the season ends- that we should not lose out on whoever our first choice is because we waited too long and lost the candidate at the finish line. I agree!

I again, ask the question, what is there to lose by getting rid of Cox now, and getting a jump on the replacement process?
……It is only, what couple of weeks?…….in this time of heightened sensitivity of separating people from jobs, the University probably does not to be in a position of defending itself needlessly to respond to a claim that Cox was not given fair opportunity to see the job through the season ending…….I think this, stated much better, was previously posted……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Bashir Mason, Wagner: Mason was one of the hottest coaches in the country early in his tenure at Wagner, but then went through a couple of down seasons -- before bouncing back with a 13-5 NEC record last season and a 13-1 campaign this season. Despite being in charge of the Seahawks for 10 seasons, he's still only 38 years old.

James Jones, Yale: All Jones does is win, even if he's rarely linked to bigger jobs -- with the exception of St. John's a few years back. But Yale has a half-game lead on Princeton in the Ivy standings with two games remaining. If the Bulldogs win their final two games, it will be Jones' fifth conference title in the past seven Ivy seasons and potentially their fourth NCAA tournament appearance over that stretch.

John Becker, Vermont: At some point, Becker has to get a bigger job, right? He's been linked with jobs for years, given his outrageous levels of success with the Catamounts. Becker has won at least a share of six straight regular-season titles in the America East and has also won four conference tournaments during his tenure.

Jared Grasso, Bryant: After developing a reputation as a terrific recruiter during his time as an assistant coach under Tim Cluess at Iona, Grasso struggled for a couple seasons as the head coach at Bryant. But he's found his footing and has the Bulldogs on Wagner's heels in the NEC. He's recruiting transfers at a high level and is well-connected in the Northeast.

Others who could move: Casey Alexander, Belmont; Matt Langel, Colgate; Darian DeVries, Drake; Chris Jans, New Mexico State; Dustin Kerns, Appalachian State; Dana Ford, Missouri State; Ritchie McKay, Liberty; Preston Spradlin, Morehead State; Robert Jones, Norfolk State; Austin Claunch, Nicholls

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -seat-next
Is it just me or do none of these guys sound exciting? I think coaching is important, but we need to get to the level where we have some type of recruiting presence whether it is the head coach or the staff. I think we need to go that Jim Harrick route with a coach we wouldn’t normally be able to get or probably Archie Miller.
It's not just you.
Wagner (19-3) lost to Fairleigh Dickinson (3-20) tonight @ FDU in OT. 1st place NEC Wagner was favored by 13.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Archie Miller to URI we can dream baby !!
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago I like Archie Miller, but if you take a quick look at his time in Indiana it was not very good. I think his experience and his past success at Dayton and coaching assistant at Arizona would be valuable. I am definitely in favor of Miller, but his time at Indiana to their fans is similar to how we few Cox at URI on a different level.
I know a lot of IU fans through work and this statement is very true. I was really excited for them when they hired Archie because i thought it made sense and would work out.

I’ve always liked Archie and would be happy with him on board. Let’s hope they get it done…either way we need a change! I’d take just about anyone.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago

Kimani would bring in the best recruiting class in the conference within 2 years and compile a staff light years ahead of anything Rhody has had the last 4 years. He will have his pick of jobs when he wants it.
Thank you!
I wonder if Dan would advocate for Kimani to come here or at least have interest. I'd hope that Dan's experience here would at least give us a chance to get him before potential P5 offers. His demeanor over the last 5 minutes of the UConn/Nova game was impressive to watch.
OK, let me ask again in another way: Hurley recommended Cox. How's that working out?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago

Thank you!
I wonder if Dan would advocate for Kimani to come here or at least have interest. I'd hope that Dan's experience here would at least give us a chance to get him before potential P5 offers. His demeanor over the last 5 minutes of the UConn/Nova game was impressive to watch.
OK, let me ask again in another way: Hurley recommended Cox. How's that working out?
He would. Dan wants to see both URI and Kimani succeed.

Cox was a safe, defensible, and good coach at the time.

If URI invested properly in their program they could’ve just paid Cox a proper associate head coach salary instead of needing to attach a buyout to his contract to get him to stick around on Hurley’s staff.

We had to hire Cox because of the buyout. Or we could’ve hired Pitino but our former President didn’t like him.

Kimani would be another splash hire - certainly not as close of a sure thing as Archie, but he’s someone who is looked at as able to take over a P5 program. Cox was never seen that way on a national scale.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bobby and Bashir have had success. Dave was in a bad basketball place before getting hired at URI and was able to reclaim his career when Dan took a chance on him. I know people tend to get remembered by the last thing they’ve done. Dave’s success as a URI assistant wasn’t a sure thing, but he excelled. Dave falls into the solid dude category, Kimani is a mf star.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago
[pre]
[/pre]Many on this board are concerned about how quickly we can move on once the season ends- that we should not lose out on whoever our first choice is because we waited too long and lost the candidate at the finish line. I agree!

……It is only, what couple of weeks?…….in this time of heightened sensitivity of separating people from jobs, the University probably does not to be in a position of defending itself needlessly to respond to a claim that Cox was not given fair opportunity to see the job through the season ending…….I think this, stated much better, was previously posted……..

A thought- if firing him now could "needlessly 'respond to a claim that Cox was not given fair opportunity to see the job through the season ending" then the same logic could be used to "force" URI to honor the entire length of the contract and Cox would be coach next year.

No, you ACT in an appropriate manner that is in your best interest, not in a manner that is overly concerned about what others might say.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….well fair enough……I would say by waiting two weeksish is in the best interests of URI…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know a lot of Rhody fans are kind of basketball-bored and just want something to happen, but two weeks is not a long time, especially when a lot of your potential candidates are either not in a time crunch or still working.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Nothing to stop Thorr from gathering info on candidates. The process has started.
7 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Nothing to stop Thorr from gathering info on candidates. The process has started.
Nothing at all…

Schools are always reaching out to agents/reps, who know when their clients want to hear about their options,
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Many on this board are concerned about how quickly we can move on once the season ends- that we should not lose out on whoever our first choice is because we waited too long and lost the candidate at the finish line. I agree!

Its pretty simple, getting rid of Cox now would not give them a jump on the replacement process, so there is no point.
7 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

Its pretty simple, getting rid of Cox now would not give them a jump on the replacement process, so there is no point.
Exactly, the next few weeks will go fast enough. Nothing to be gained by doing something now.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Exactly, the next few weeks will go fast enough. Nothing to be gained by doing something now.
Like most other programs with impending coaching vacancies - the searches are well underway.

Conversations with agents, out of work coaches, boosters, etc all happen behind the scenes. We are no different.

This idea that we need an "opening" to start a search is naive.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Like most other programs with impending coaching vacancies - the searches are well underway.

Conversations with agents, out of work coaches, boosters, etc all happen behind the scenes. We are no different.

Yes Blue Man I am well aware of how these things work.

When I said nothing gained by doing something now, I was referring to the decision regarding Cox.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

When I said nothing gained by doing something now, I was referring to the decision regarding Cox.
I'd be willing to bet that decision has been made privately. Publicly stating it offers no advantages except for message board and twitter followers.

Every coach that's a possible candidate has been contacted via agent across the country.

It's sad that March Madness for us will be deciphering cryptic tweets and running down conspiracy theories (I chose mine). But it's more excitement than we've had in years!!
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I'd be willing to bet that decision has been made privately. Publicly stating it offers no advantages except for message board and twitter followers.

Every coach that's a possible candidate has been contacted via agent across the country.

It's sad that March Madness for us will be deciphering cryptic tweets and running down conspiracy theories (I chose mine). But it's more excitement than we've had in years!!
It's going to be a very interesting off season.

Not just about the HC, but discussions regarding the staff.

Also, who will be left from this roster, and putting together a new one for 22-23.

What recruits will still be available and finding impact players in the portal.

It all starts with getting the right HC, Thorr can't miss on this one.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

High engagement numbers for Keaney Blue this spring/summer. If not there will be no engagement and the site may cease to exist due to inactivity.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

In fact, we were on the other side of this process just 4 years ago.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago The meltdown on this board if Cox is extended will be like nothing ever seen in the history of URI message boards.
Heard from someone who knows this information (can’t say much more) that he is done. 100% we are getting a new coach as in 0.0 that Cox returns. There is no chance at all he is back.
What if they win the A10 tournament? Certainly not likely but not impossible.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago
scine20 wrote: 2 years ago The meltdown on this board if Cox is extended will be like nothing ever seen in the history of URI message boards.
Heard from someone who knows this information (can’t say much more) that he is done. 100% we are getting a new coach as in 0.0 that Cox returns. There is no chance at all he is back.
Thats the only way he saves his job and the chances they can do it from the play in game are like 0.0001%
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago
zero point zero
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Honestly, I'm starting to believe even that would be far fetched...the keeping his job part.

Would anyone be excited about this program next year after a first round NCAA thrashing? Would it boost ticket sales?

The A-10 isn't some murderers row of good teams. This is a potential 1 bid league.

And we're not starved for an NCAA game. We've had 4 in back to back years 4 years ago. The standards have changed. The bar was raised.

Look at Georgetown right now. Would their fans have traded the Big East title and first round embarrassment last year, and now potential winless conference season, year long clown show and total rebuild? At least they have the money for a buyout. URI? Another extension? You might damn this program to irrelevance in ways never thought of before.

I agreed that going into this year NCAA appearance should equal extension - but I don't know how anyone can look at what's happening and say "sign us up for more."

The goal is to be a good program. To be competing for conference championships and at-large bids year in/year out. Doesn't mean making it every year, but being competitive, having fun caring about basketball, having a chance to dance if you get a few bounces. Maybe every few years you're making a 2nd weekend run into the tourney.

I will not survive another year like this as a fan. You've effectively killed off the fanbase. Even with an NCAA appearance this year, it'll feel hollow and I don't think anyone comes back after December when we've flushed another season down the toilet.

Overreactions in either direction are bad. You don't go firing a guy for a 4-5 game losing streak. You also don't go extending a guy for a 4-5 game winning streak.

It's the total body of work.

This program deserves better. We deserve to be a program. Not a clown show that gets lucky.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Is it just me or do none of these guys sound exciting? I think coaching is important, but we need to get to the level where we have some type of recruiting presence whether it is the head coach or the staff. I think we need to go that Jim Harrick route with a coach we wouldn’t normally be able to get or probably Archie Miller.
It's not just you.
Wagner (19-3) lost to Fairleigh Dickinson (3-20) tonight @ FDU in OT. 1st place NEC Wagner was favored by 13.
I guess based on that single result, he's not getting the URI job.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

It's not just you.
Wagner NET 116 loses to FDU NET 350 - not on that single result but this late in the season to have a horrendous loss like that? Not good at all. You are supposed to be peaking for the NEC Conference Tournament AQ - this is the opposite direction.

9 years. No NCAA Bid in the lowly NEC. Maybe he gets the AQ this year but losing like that to the 350th ranked team. I'd want to see what happens in the NEC Tournament.

Mason took over a program in good shape from Dan Hurley for the 2012 - 2013 season. He has had 3 1st place NEC Conference Finishes but no AQ's
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I know there's a lot of talk about Archie. And he would be a great hire. But the person we look to for help in funding is Tom Ryan. Who wanted Rick Pitino. Dooley, so it's been said, didn't want that. So what's to say this time around, Tom doesn't get his wish? And he brings Rick Pitino to Kingston?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I know there's a lot of talk about Archie. And he would be a great hire. But the person we look to for help in funding is Tom Ryan. Who wanted Rick Pitino. Dooley, so it's been said, didn't want that. So what's to say this time around, Tom doesn't get his wish? And he brings Rick Pitino to Kingston?
I don't discount that. But is he really going to throw $10M to buyout rick and then put up the rest?

Honestly Richard Pitino is a more likely (albeit less exciting) name.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Is it really a $10M buyout? But we are all just speculating here so.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Is it really a $10M buyout? But we are all just speculating here so.
Sorry $5M now. It was $10m last year.

We legit couldn't get the ashtray money to start the practice facility. Just would be odd to do for a coach who has 4 years left tops.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wagner NET 116 loses to FDU NET 350 - not on that single result but this late in the season to have a horrendous loss like that? Not good at all. You are supposed to be peaking for the NEC Conference Tournament AQ - this is the opposite direction.

9 years. No NCAA Bid in the lowly NEC. Maybe he gets the AQ this year but losing like that to the 350th ranked team. I'd want to see what happens in the NEC Tournament.

Mason took over a program in good shape from Dan Hurley for the 2012 - 2013 season. He has had 3 1st place NEC Conference Finishes but no AQ's
I wouldn't be so quick to define a coach's resume by one bad OT loss.

Not defending him but they were also without one of their top players Elijah Ford (2nd leading scorer) who was recently lost for the season with a knee injury. Last year he was 1st team NEC and the most efficient scorer 18 pts/59.5% (FG).

Granted Bashir Masion is not my first choice, but I feel he is one of the top young coaches and still only 38.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not defending him but they were also without one of their top players Elijah Ford (2nd leading scorer) who was recently lost for the season with a knee injury. Last year he was 1st team NEC and the most efficient scorer 18 pts/59.5% (FG).

Granted Bashir Masion is not my first choice, but I feel he is one of the top young coaches and still only 38.
I’m not. But 9 years without an NCAA Bid in the NEC?
Then you lose to the #350 ranked team closing in on the NEC Tournament?

What makes you feel he is one of the Top young coaches?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I understand he's widely regarded as one - but agreed that his resume isn't exactly screaming "hire me."

When your program is in a good to great situation, like when Hurley left, you can take a chance and make the "safe" hire. Like Dave Cox or any of the other regional mid-major HC's mentioned.

When your program is in a bad place, like right now, you cannot take a chance. You have to be right.

The advantage of playing in the A-10, is that a big name or "splash" hire, can immediately rebuild your program. It's as close to a guarantee as you can get.

Their name alone will give you access to a talent pool you typically wouldn't see at this level. That can win you games and turn you around regardless of the actual X's and O's of the coach.

The buzz matters. Every coach is a salesman of their program. Hurley, etc. The great ones get it. You have to be putting your brand in the national press and media. You need to be on Jim Rome. You need to be tweeted about. You need eyeballs on your program.

Those eyeballs bring in recruits. Bring you access to tournaments. Bring you national TV games. Bring you big OOC matchups.

An Archie Miller hire at a lower program like URI forces us into the national conversation immediately.

We can't do safe anymore. THINK BIG. WE DO.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I understand he's widely regarded as one - but agreed that his resume isn't exactly screaming "hire me."

When your program is in a good to great situation, like when Hurley left, you can take a chance and make the "safe" hire. Like Dave Cox or any of the other regional mid-major HC's mentioned.

When your program is in a bad place, like right now, you cannot take a chance. You have to be right.

The advantage of playing in the A-10, is that a big name or "splash" hire, can immediately rebuild your program. It's as close to a guarantee as you can get.

Their name alone will give you access to a talent pool you typically wouldn't see at this level. That can win you games and turn you around regardless of the actual X's and O's of the coach.

The buzz matters. Every coach is a salesman of their program. Hurley, etc. The great ones get it. You have to be putting your brand in the national press and media. You need to be on Jim Rome. You need to be tweeted about. You need eyeballs on your program.

Those eyeballs bring in recruits. Bring you access to tournaments. Bring you national TV games. Bring you big OOC matchups.

An Archie Miller hire at a lower program like URI forces us into the national conversation immediately.

We can't do safe anymore. THINK BIG. WE DO.

I don't disagree and at this time I would prefer more of a splash hire, as I previously mentioned.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I completely agree that the program is heading nowhere fast under Cox. But if they were to win the A10 tournament they’re not going to fire him. They’d extend him and make some excuse that he turned things around and the players were playing their best in March. It wouldn’t be what I’d want but that’s what I think would happen. The optics of firing a coach who won four or five straight games to get to an NCAA Tournament coupled with the prospect of finding a way to keep things for another year and not have to pay Cox not to coach would win out. IMO.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Coaching at Wagner is not an easy road to the NCAAT, you must be hot and win their conference championship.

Remember he is still only 38

Success Under Coach Mason
Three-time NEC Regular Season Champions (2016, 2018, 2021)
Upset then ranked No. 18|16 and four-time NCAA Men's National Champions, UConn
Program's First-Ever Postseason Victory | 2016 NIT First Round: No. 8 Wagner 79, No. 1 St. Bonaventure 75

Coaching Honors & Awards
2020-21 Jim Phelan Northeast Conference (NEC) Coach Of The Year
2020-21 Ben Jobe Award Finalist
2020-21 Hugh Durham Award Finalist
2017-18: Ben Jobe Award Finalist
2017-18: Hugh Durham Award Finalist
2017-18: National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) NCAA Division I District 18 Coach of the Year
2017-18: Jim Phelan Northeast Conference (NEC) Coach of the Year
2015-16: Jim Phelan Northeast Conference (NEC) Coach of the Year
2015-16: Finalist for the Ben Jobe Minority Coach of the Year Award
2012-13: Finalist for the Joe B. Hall National Coach of the Year Award
2012-13: Finalist for the Ben Jobe Minority Coach of the Year Award

https://wagnerathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball

Look he isn't among my top choices, but I prefer him over several other names mentioned including Grasso and Skerry.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago I completely agree that the program is heading nowhere fast under Cox. But if they were to win the A10 tournament they’re not going to fire him. They’d extend him and make some excuse that he turned things around and the players were playing their best in March. It wouldn’t be what I’d want but that’s what I think would happen. The optics of firing a coach who won four or five straight games to get to an NCAA Tournament coupled with the prospect of finding a way to keep things for another year and not have to pay Cox not to coach would win out. IMO.
You have to get over the "if they win the A-10 tournament" thing. It's a non-starter man.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago I completely agree that the program is heading nowhere fast under Cox. But if they were to win the A10 tournament they’re not going to fire him. They’d extend him and make some excuse that he turned things around and the players were playing their best in March. It wouldn’t be what I’d want but that’s what I think would happen. The optics of firing a coach who won four or five straight games to get to an NCAA Tournament coupled with the prospect of finding a way to keep things for another year and not have to pay Cox not to coach would win out. IMO.
Yeah and he ain't winning the A-10 title

Maybe if we had guards with the ability to make a jump shot we would.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Coaching at Wagner is not an easy road to the NCAAT, you must be hot and win their conference championship.

Program's First-Ever Postseason Victory | 2016 NIT First Round: No. 8 Wagner 79, No. 1 St. Bonaventure 75

Coaching Honors & Awards
2017-18: National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) NCAA Division I District 18 Coach of the Year

Look he isn't among my top choices, but I prefer him over several other names mentioned including Grasso and Skerry.
Since his name has popped multiple times here I went back to his last 9 years as HC at Wagner since he took over for Hurley:

2012-13: 2-Wagner lost to 3-LIU: 82-94
2013-14: 2-Wagner lost to 4-Mt St Mary's: 72-77
2014-15: 7-Wagner lost to 2-Robert Morris 68-91
2015-16: 1-Wagner lost to 2-FDU 79-87 in Championship Game
2016-17: 3-Wagner lost to 4-St Francis 70-71
2017-18: 1-Wagner lost to 4-LIU 61-71 in Championship Game

2018-19: 7-Wagner lost to 2-FDU 46-84
2019-20: Did not Qualify finishing 5-13 in Conference
2020-21: 1-Wagner lost to 4 Mt St Mary's 60-66
  • In Red are Conference Tournament Games Wagner lost and was eliminated by lower seeds than they were.
  • 3 Times eliminated after finishing 1st in the Conference = #1 Seed
I want a HC that overachieves in the Conference Tournament, not underachieves. I'm missing where he is an up and comer. 2 years ago DNQ as record was so bad and 3 years ago lost to FDU 84-46.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I’d take Becker over Mason if given the choice between the two.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago I’d take Becker over Mason if given the choice between the two.
…..no question…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
You have to get over the "if they win the A-10 tournament" thing. It's a non-starter man.
The poster said there’s a 0% chance he returns. And I pointed out that I think he would if they win the A10 tournament.
Last edited by scine20 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Coaching Honors & Awards

Since his name has popped multiple times here I went back to his last 9 years as HC at Wagner since he took over for Hurley:

2012-13: 2-Wagner lost to 3-LIU: 82-94
2013-14: 2-Wagner lost to 4-Mt St Mary's: 72-77
2014-15: 7-Wagner lost to 2-Robert Morris 68-91
2015-16: 1-Wagner lost to 2-FDU 79-87 in Championship Game
2016-17: 3-Wagner lost to 4-St Francis 70-71
2017-18: 1-Wagner lost to 4-LIU 61-71 in Championship Game

2018-19: 7-Wagner lost to 2-FDU 46-84
2019-20: Did not Qualify finishing 5-13 in Conference
2020-21: 1-Wagner lost to 4 Mt St Mary's 60-66
  • In Red are Conference Tournament Games Wagner lost and was eliminated by lower seeds than they were.
  • 3 Times eliminated after finishing 1st in the Conference = #1 Seed
I want a HC that overachieves in the Conference Tournament, not underachieves. I'm missing where he is an up and comer. 2 years ago DNQ as record was so bad and 3 years ago lost to FDU 84-46.
Ramster, again I would put him higher than some mentioned but not on my short list.

Actually, as I said before Dennis Gates would be my top choice for an up and comer.

The assistant level Kimani Young is high on the list.

John Becker will always be on the short list for many higher mid-majors.

Look I would love to have a HC that had success at our level or higher, who is either now available or will be.

Ramster don't dismiss Bashir as moving up at some time, he is still only 38 and very well respected in the coaching community.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago I’d take Becker over Mason if given the choice between the two.
…..no question…..
I would too, plus several others.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Right now Archie miller is the only potential coaching candidate that excites me in any way . My fear is that otherwise any young less experienced candidate without a big name will find it very difficult to recruit at any higher level than cox because URI on its own is not a national draw for players .
I don't care how talented a coach is if he cannot recruit a higher level of player and a great young coach will find it very hard if he has no name . Look
at Lasalle who hired Jay Wright's Assistant from Villanova . He might be a great x and o coach but without the talent it is pretty meaningless . If URI
moves on from Cox and hires some up and coming coach without a name you can look forward to a few more seasons of mediocrity or worse . Let
me remind everyone that it took a coach with a pedigree name several seasons to turn things around . I am not aware of too many guys out there
who fit the bill . Archie Miller, Rick Pitino , any others similar ? Otherwise URI may not do any better than Cox as absurd as that may sound to you .
0 x