Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago A lot of mediocre choices here just because they're head coaches who don't need training.
Grab Kimani Young before someone else does!
Kimani would bring in the best recruiting class in the conference within 2 years and compile a staff light years ahead of anything Rhody has had the last 4 years. He will have his pick of jobs when he wants it.
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago i am not being negative,just realistic---money for dc buyout; money to give tammi a good increase

then allocate 2or more million for archie;wheres the money? even at that figure he would probably take the maryland or louiseville job if offered
I think Archie being offered the Maryland or Louisville position will not happen.
It will be a while before Archie will be a B10 candidate and Louisville is one of the premier programs.
Both will set their sights higher than Archie.
His brother Sean if not for his NCAA issues would be a likely candidate though.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago i am not being negative,just realistic---money for dc buyout; money to give tammi a good increase

then allocate 2or more million for archie;wheres the money? even at that figure he would probably take the maryland or louiseville job if offered
If there’s only X amount of money to either get a big time, splash hire for the mens team, or extend Tammi, I bet he goes with the splash hire for the mens team.

It just comes down to dollars and cents, and the mens team will bring more exposure and revenue for the school.

Since it’s 2022 and before people get all up in arms, please provide evidence to contradict my opinion of exposure and revenue brought in and I will stand corrected.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago A lot of mediocre choices here just because they're head coaches who don't need training.
Kimani would bring in the best recruiting class in the conference within 2 years and compile a staff light years ahead of anything Rhody has had the last 4 years. He will have his pick of jobs when he wants it.
Kimani should definitely be on our short list, if obviously the bigger names or splash hires aren't realistic.
Gates, him, and Bashir should all be high on the list of up and comers.
I would even include Langel in that group.

As previously mentioned, Becker, Boals, and Groce are other coaches they should also consider.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Would love Kimani Young and was really impressed with the job he did filling in for Dan the other night but think he's out of our reach.

I will again recommend that Thorr and the powers that be please consider Brandin Knight at Rutgers. Associate HC in the Big Ten working under Pikiell and on Jamie Dixon's staff at Pitt (Big East/ACC).
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Thank you!
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago
Thank you!
I wonder if Dan would advocate for Kimani to come here or at least have interest. I'd hope that Dan's experience here would at least give us a chance to get him before potential P5 offers. His demeanor over the last 5 minutes of the UConn/Nova game was impressive to watch.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not thrilled with Becker or Skerry give us a splash hire to get us excited
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..mmmmmm, five minutes of acting head coach……..so, couple of people here think Kimani is a solid choice(my words)……..put me down for definite maybe……..I still want more experience as an HC……..no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Archie Miller
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Archie Miller.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Not thrilled with Becker or Skerry give us a splash hire to get us excited
Yes about the splash hire.

But please don't even compare Skerry to Becker, not even close, would take Becker in a NY minute over Skerry.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not sure what Archie's price would be, but I think we would have a shot as you don’t usually get canned at a power conference job then get another one right away, You usually need to reestablish yourself…either on TV or at a lower level.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

If there is any chance at Archie Miller, URI administration should put a full court press on and should be the clear target over any of the other names that have been mentioned here. Mason, Young, Becker and a couple of the others mentioned, are somewhat intriguing but should be fallback guys if there is any way they can get involved with Miller
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How would a power conference sell the Archie hire with the results at his last stop? He needs us too…or at least someone like us.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago How would a power conference sell the Archie hire with the results at his last stop? He needs us too…or at least someone like us.
If the Pitt position opens up, don't be surprised that could be a good landing spot for him.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m not connected or do I follow these things closely so I’ll take your word for it. Is there a connection there to him?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago I’m not connected or do I follow these things closely so I’ll take your word for it. Is there a connection there to him?
Pitt is 4 hours from Dayton.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago I’m not connected or do I follow these things closely so I’ll take your word for it. Is there a connection there to him?
The Millers are from the Pittsburgh area (Beaver Falls). Sean played at Pitt.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
RIFan wrote: 2 years ago How would a power conference sell the Archie hire with the results at his last stop? He needs us too…or at least someone like us.
If the Pitt position opens up, don't be surprised that could be a good landing spot for him.
Sean Miller is likely the next coach for Pitt
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I see the connection for Sean and Pitt. The connection for Archie and Pitt seems more on Archie’s side than Pitts. But who knows…
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago I see the connection for Sean and Pitt. The connection for Archie and Pitt seems more on Archie’s side than Pitts. But who knows…
The Miller family and basketball in the Pittsburgh area are just well connected. Their dad was a pretty legendary high school coach in the area.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Ahh, I guess I need to learn my western PA high school basketball history!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Sean Miller is likely the next coach for Pitt
Yeah, I was thinking one of the brothers.

It may be a little too soon for Sean with all the NCAA problems and baggage still following him.

If that is no longer an issue, there may be bigger openings available to him.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago

Thank you!
I wonder if Dan would advocate for Kimani to come here or at least have interest. I'd hope that Dan's experience here would at least give us a chance to get him before potential P5 offers. His demeanor over the last 5 minutes of the UConn/Nova game was impressive to watch.
Slimy slithering snake Hurley recommended Cox. How's that working out?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago

Thank you!
You keep saying things like this like you’re really doing something.
How embarrassing for you.

Your mental hospital lines aren’t funny, either.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thank you!
Wow, stop beating around the bush, now how do really feel about him?
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Wow, stop beating around the bush now how do really feel about him.
He thinks he’s being clever or funny or something.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The questions being: Would he consider URI in a few weeks from now? Would Dan recommend this job to Kimani? I'm sure Dan has a lot of positive thoughts he could say to him about us. Surely there are some negatives, but maybe at this time in his career, this could be a good place for Kimani as a rising star as Dan was 10 or so years ago.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
The questions being: Would he consider URI in a few weeks from now? Would Dan recommend this job to Kimani? I'm sure Dan has a lot of positive thoughts he could say to him about us. Surely there are some negatives, but maybe at this time in his career, this could be a good place for Kimani as a rising star as Dan was 10 or so years ago.
Two things are true- Dan roots for his guys and wants them to take good opportunities when they can get them, even if it makes things a little worse for him for a minute. Also, Dan knows Kimani has reached a point where he doesn’t have to take a bad job to get his shot, and the URI job is not a bad one.

If you remember those old recruiting threads, there was always mention of how Minnesota was randomly recruiting a lot of the NYC/NJ guys that Rhody was. That was Kimani.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dan was a head coach. Not an assistant.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wow, stop beating around the bush now how do really feel about him?

He thinks he’s being clever or funny or something.
I guess, I would have never expected to hear that kind of a reaction.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Thank you!

The way you describe people/schools/fans is kind of alarming, and extremely weird.

Give it a break.
1 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m open to all options, but I can understand why some may not want to go from one Dan assistant to another…fool me once. Kimani may be the real deal and I wouldn’t dismiss him because of that, but I think it would take guts to hire him based on the last Dan assistant we hired.
Last edited by RIFan 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

The way you describe people/schools/fans is kind of alarming, and extremely weird.

Give it a break.
Alarming? Are you a sensitive type?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

6 years with Pitino and 4 years with Dan is good experience. But, to hire another assistant, I think Thorr would have to be blown away in the interview process. But if he is blown away, I'd rather go with a young up and comer than a retread. I admit, I don't know a lot about Kimani as potential head coaching material. That would be up to Thorr to determine. But he is highly regarded nationally and as Ace says, has immense recruiting ties, especially to NYC. It's up to Thorr to determine what kind of leader he'd be. I'm not saying he'd be at the top of the list, but I wouldn't discount him either.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

6 years with Pitino and 4 years with Dan is good experience. But, to hire another assistant, I think Thorr would have to be blown away in the interview process. But if he is blown away, I'd rather go with a young up and comer than a retread. I admit, I don't know a lot about Kimani as potential head coaching material. That would be up to Thorr to determine. But he is highly regarded nationally and as Ace says, has immense recruiting ties, especially to NYC. It's up to Thorr to determine what kind of leader he'd be. I'm not saying he'd be at the top of the list, but I wouldn't discount him either.
I wouldn't discount anyone. But Archie Miller is not a retread. My top pick right now. Haven't heard of anyone else that changes that.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago If there is any chance at Archie Miller, URI administration should put a full court press on and should be the clear target over any of the other names that have been mentioned here. Mason, Young, Becker and a couple of the others mentioned, are somewhat intriguing but should be fallback guys if there is any way they can get involved with Miller
Yes and that’s why after the season get rid of Cox and make a quick call to Archie as there should be competition for his services
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago
giovanni wrote: 2 years ago If there is any chance at Archie Miller, URI administration should put a full court press on and should be the clear target over any of the other names that have been mentioned here. Mason, Young, Becker and a couple of the others mentioned, are somewhat intriguing but should be fallback guys if there is any way they can get involved with Miller
Yes and that’s why after the season get rid of Cox and make a quick call to Archie as there should be competition for his services
I would hope that things are already done.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blueram we realize you are sold on Archie.

But it almost sounds like from your perspective it's him or nobody.

In case they are unable to get a deal done with him, you have any other preferences?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In case they are unable to get a deal done with him, you have any other preferences?
I'm not saying that. But he would put asses in the seats day one. The other names floated, I think people take a wait and see approach. Give me another name that would put asses in the seats day one of the hire. Everyone else floated won't. Mary in South Kingstown doesn't know Kimani, but she's heard of Archie Miller.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I'm not saying that. But he would put asses in the seats day one. The other names floated, I think people take a wait and see approach. Give me another name that would put asses in the seats day one of the hire. Everyone else floated won't. Mary in South Kingstown doesn't know Kimani, but she's heard of Archie Miller.
I do agree with you about Archie and he would be my first choice also.
I am just not totally confident we can get it done.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………many Mary’s and Mary’s friends in SK and else where would think they could be running for Governor…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I do agree with you about Archie and he would be my first choice also.
I am just not totally confident we can get it done.
I believe in Thorr Bjorn.

I believe in Tom Ryan.

I BELIEVE.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Archie signs are fun…

FD0FF537-45F0-4443-896B-F588C89EBD9D.jpeg
04258282-20CD-468A-81A3-0A7B1C6141B0.jpeg
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

My favorite Archie fact is that his name is Ryan.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ace wrote: 2 years ago My favorite Archie fact is that his name is Ryan.
You made me Google…

“…garnered the nickname "Archie" at an early age due to his personality being similar to that of Archie Bunker, the grouchy TV character, from All in the Family”

Too funny
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…..let’s get some Kearney Blue sprinkles on that ice cream, and then I am in for Archie……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I didn't realize that Archie is 5 years younger than Cox.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Oh we are getting Archie - no doubt !.. time to raise the roof… the fun is back again ! We are going to land the golden goose !

Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunder
Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunder
Thunder, thunder
I was caught
In the middle of a railroad track (thunder)
I looked 'round
And I knew there was no turning back (thunder)
My mind raced
And I thought, what could I do? (Thunder)
And I knew
There was no help, no help from you (thunder)
Sound of the drums
Beating in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart
You've been
Thunderstruck
3 x