Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by rjv »

Maybe Coach K or Roy Williams
Both will be looking for something to do next year
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bashir Mason, Wagner: Mason was one of the hottest coaches in the country early in his tenure at Wagner, but then went through a couple of down seasons -- before bouncing back with a 13-5 NEC record last season and a 13-1 campaign this season. Despite being in charge of the Seahawks for 10 seasons, he's still only 38 years old.

James Jones, Yale: All Jones does is win, even if he's rarely linked to bigger jobs -- with the exception of St. John's a few years back. But Yale has a half-game lead on Princeton in the Ivy standings with two games remaining. If the Bulldogs win their final two games, it will be Jones' fifth conference title in the past seven Ivy seasons and potentially their fourth NCAA tournament appearance over that stretch.

John Becker, Vermont: At some point, Becker has to get a bigger job, right? He's been linked with jobs for years, given his outrageous levels of success with the Catamounts. Becker has won at least a share of six straight regular-season titles in the America East and has also won four conference tournaments during his tenure.

Jared Grasso, Bryant: After developing a reputation as a terrific recruiter during his time as an assistant coach under Tim Cluess at Iona, Grasso struggled for a couple seasons as the head coach at Bryant. But he's found his footing and has the Bulldogs on Wagner's heels in the NEC. He's recruiting transfers at a high level and is well-connected in the Northeast.

Others who could move: Casey Alexander, Belmont; Matt Langel, Colgate; Darian DeVries, Drake; Chris Jans, New Mexico State; Dustin Kerns, Appalachian State; Dana Ford, Missouri State; Ritchie McKay, Liberty; Preston Spradlin, Morehead State; Robert Jones, Norfolk State; Austin Claunch, Nicholls

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -seat-next
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Of those names Becker would interest me the most. Also the Colgate guy has done well and has a Northeast presence I would think given the location of the school.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago Of those names Becker would interest me the most. Also the Colgate guy has done well and has a Northeast presence I would think given the location of the school.
Agree. Becker and Langel are proven that they can win, know their x's and o's, and have connections in this part of the country. I would think that they would be on a number of AD's short lists.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If I had a genie, here are my wishes in order.

I obviously understand the realities and how far of a stretch these 3 may be, but I will hold fast on my stance that I want someone from a higher-level program who is going to look at what we have and say "this isn't good enough, do better" rather than someone from a lower level program who's psyched to play in the Ryan Center because it's a step-up from their high school gym:

1) Archie Miller
2) Bobby Hurley
3) Kimani Young
4) re-open Keaney Gym and use that for home games since there was no reason to open the Ryan Center if we aren't going to raise our expectations and are comfortable bargain shopping for coaches and infrastructure.

This is put up or shut up time as a program and institution. We are at a crossroads. We made the right hire in Dan Hurley. He brought us to arguably the healthiest place in program history in terms of national relevance and the position for a coach to win right away.

We refused to invest properly and got unlucky with the wrong hire. Now we are staring at an abyss.

A second wrong hire, or a bargain hire for an "up and comer" means that we will go 8-10 years between tournament appearances, lose all of our NCAA credits, and have nothing to show for it.

Make no mistake, this is as important as the Hurley hire and we can't miss. The only "up and comer" that could make as close to an impact as Hurley did is Kimani Young. He's a hot name and would be an instant splash.

I get our trepidation with hiring another coach without experience, but Cox was just bad luck. Tommy Lloyd is a first timer. Micah Shrewsberry. Ben Johnson. Those are all assistants doing well.

Kimani coached a better game against Jay Wright the other night than Cox has coached in 4 years. I think he understands the importance of hiring a competent staff just based on Hurley's post-game comments.

I know people say "don't worry about winning the press conference, win games" and I get that...but the press conference matters at this level of basketball.

The buzz you generate gets you access to recruits and OOC games/tournaments that can put you in a position to go to the NCAA.

Yes there's no such thing as a "sure thing" but with a big name you get the type of recruits who can win you games in the A-10 no matter who your coach is.

If we hire wrong here, pack it in because we may never recover.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
*sees the phrase, "Archie Miller whispers*

*dies

*wakes up from death

*finds will to live again
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago You guys are thinking small time. Lamar comes here and brings the Kardashians with him. They start a Rhody based reality show that makes enough money to fund the new practice center, Wi-Fi, replays and a real bar. I can dream, right?
think big, we do.

in all seriousness, if this were to happen... if my daily life in south county is negatively impacted in anyway, shape, or form, anywhere around town due to those assholes, I'll go absolutely ballistic.
Last edited by KeaneyBluBallz 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
:lol:
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Those are all pretty solid options tbh..
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
A big no to Pat Skerry, that would be extremely underwhelming and disappointing.

There are many candidates I would put above Grasso.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It worries me a bit that the first name listed is Skerry. His team is 22-7 this year, but he's still two games under .500 in 11 years at Towson. He and Grasso are both fallback / safety options to me - I think either would immediately accept the job, and I'd rather URI pursue Becker and Miller first.
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
It worries me a bit that the first name listed is Skerry. His team is 22-7 this year, but he's still two games under .500 in 11 years at Towson. He and Grasso are both fallback / safety options to me - I think either would immediately accept the job, and I'd rather URI pursue Becker and Miller first.
To me Skerry would be similar or worse than the Baron hire.

Like I said there are many other realistic candidates I would prefer than Grasso.
If he wasn't here in RI, doubt he would even be on our radar.
5 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

To me Skerry would be similar or worse than the Baron hire.

Like I said there are many other realistic candidates I would prefer than Grasso.
If he wasn't here in RI, doubt he would even be on our radar.
Yeah these are good points… I guess I’m looking for these names just not in this order haha
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I really hope he is just making guesses there and Skerry is not actually an option being considered.
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I would caution you from looking at his overall record. His first year he was something like 1-30. Over the next two years they jumped up to 25 wins. They've been pretty consistently around the 18-20 win mark save a few down years that the transfer portal hurt them. The biggest concern I could see having from a results standpoint would be that they've had the trouble making the jump from a really good team to an NCAA tournament team.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Based on that tweet, I'm fairly certain Borzello is a lurker here.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
I would caution you from looking at his overall record. His first year he was something like 1-30. Over the next two years they jumped up to 25 wins. They've been pretty consistently around the 18-20 win mark save a few down years that the transfer portal hurt them. The biggest concern I could see having from a results standpoint would be that they've had the trouble making the jump from a really good team to an NCAA tournament team.
Yeah - I think there are explanations for why the record has dipped here and there, but he doesn't really "wow" me as a candidate.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bashir Mason is in his 10th year at Wagner and only made 2 NIT Tournaments, never made the NCAA AQ despite winning the Conference twice and being in the NEC.

There will be likely 25-35 openings in D1 based on past years. Lot of the guys at the top of the list will be picked early.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Is CFL willing to come out of retirement?????
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

You've got to dig a little deeper than "he's 2 games under .500 at Towson." They were 1-31 his first year!!!! So he's 28 games over .500 in the last 10 years...does that make you feel better? I mean seriously. I'm not advocating for the guy...I don't care if he's considered for the URI job. But before you knock somebody for the record or you're worried because somebody is listed first in a tweet, get a dose of coaching reality.

I'm just saying researching coaches is more than "what's their record" and then picking the coach that's the flavor of the day.

1. What did the coach walk into in his previous job?
2. What's the history with the previous job before the coach got there? (For example, we're talking about Towson basketball! Not exactly a "blueblood".)
3. Has the program been competing for league titles? (Big school coaches can pad their record against soft non-conferences...and small school coaches can get beaten up in the non-conference b/c they play guarantee games.)
4. If he left the program for a better job, is he leaving the program in better shape than when he arrived?

These are just of the things an AD will look at.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Bashir Mason is in his 10th year at Wagner and only made 2 NIT Tournaments, never made the NCAA AQ despite winning the Conference twice and being in the NEC.

There will be likely 25-35 openings in D1 based on past years. Lot of the guys at the top of the list will be picked early.
The NEC is and will always be a 1-bid league. Getting to the NCAA in the NEC is solely based on winning the crapshoot conference tourney...which means some team caught lightning in a bottle over a weekend. A better barometer for looking at it is overall conference record, regular season titles, and top-4 finishes.

(Tom Penders had never won a conference title prior to URI and never been to an NCAA tournament until '88 with URI.)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Bashir Mason is in his 10th year at Wagner and only made 2 NIT Tournaments, never made the NCAA AQ despite winning the Conference twice and being in the NEC.

The NEC is and will always be a 1-bid league. Getting to the NCAA in the NEC is solely based on winning the crapshoot conference tourney...which means some team caught lightning in a bottle over a weekend. A better barometer for looking at it is overall conference record, regular season titles, and top-4 finishes.

(Tom Penders had never won a conference title prior to URI and never been to an NCAA tournament until '88 with URI.)
I get that. But 9 years without winning the Conference Tournament? That's a lot of bad luck at the crapshoot tables

In the end, with several coaches having kept their jobs because of the _ _ _ _ _- 19 years there will likely be an unusually high number of D1 Job Openings. Some of the names being brought up here will likely be long gone when URI Picks including Mason and Miller.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I'm looking at it this way.

Skerry and John Becker are obvious names who've been thrown out every time there's a whisper of a coaching search here. Skerry was a Baron assistant. Becker is a regional regular who's name always comes up.

The phrase "there are some Archie Miller whispers" is sandwiched in between the other "stereotypical" names of Mason/Grasso.

One of those things is not like the other. Miller has a name, pedigree, and is coming from a P5 job - who you would think would be in consideration for other P6 jobs.

The other 4 names are the typical "oh look there's a Northeast job open in the A-10, here's some obvious names to throw out that will be included in a search."

I am 100% reading WAY too much into this. My heartrate is elevated to an unhealthy level.

But if Tom Ryan is back in the fold, he wants a big name. He wanted Pitino last time, no one listened to him. He was right. Athletics now had the longest 4 year time out ever given. I have to believe that if he's coming back into the fold, he wants big name and he wants URI back to where Hurley had us.

Archie is how you do that.
7 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ARCHIE OR BUST

time to bring the fight and we need a slam dunk hire and a name that recruits and portal transfers WANT to play for

all others are just "names" to me

if LO really cares about RHODY then it is time to give back and help financially on this hire

come on RHODY - let's make this happen

we need to get the MOJO back at the ryan center

we need a proven guy to do this

HIRE ARCHIE AND THE FUN RETURNS

it's been awhile but here it goes

RHODY
RHODY
RHODY

RAMS
RAMS
RAMS
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
*sees the phrase, "Archie Miller whispers*

*dies

*wakes up from death

*finds will to live again
LOVE the new signature and I would like to jump in on the ground floor of the Archie Miller Fan Club RI Chapter. He's obviously the one name head and shoulders over everyone else.

If we don't end up with him, just by going off Borzello's list I'd have to put Becker and Mason as the top two candidates.

Becker and Skerry are both similar in that they're the same age and have been at a low major school for awhile, but Becker has done significantly better in that time. Even when you throw out Skerry's first year at Towson he's still only 90-75 in the CAA and has only made one CIT.

Then you look at Mason, and he's only 38, is 110-65 in the NEC, and has two trips to the NIT. Again, that's not the goal, but it seems like he's already passed Skerry and at 38 would hopefully have more upside to grow into.

One question I do have that might make me warm to Skerry is what players did he help to bring in to URI when he was an assistant here? If he was responsible for bringing in most of the better players I might be more optimistic if we end up with him.

I've already gone into enough detail about why I have no interest in Grasso at all
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

That Borzello tweet is the most exciting thing to happen to this program in months.
9 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Skerry and John Becker are obvious names who've been thrown out every time there's a whisper of a coaching search here. Skerry was a Baron assistant. Becker is a regional regular who's name always comes up.

The phrase "there are some Archie Miller whispers" is sandwiched in between the other "stereotypical" names of Mason/Grasso.

One of those things is not like the other. Miller has a name, pedigree, and is coming from a P5 job - who you would think would be in consideration for other P6 jobs.

The other 4 names are the typical "oh look there's a Northeast job open in the A-10, here's some obvious names to throw out that will be included in a search."

I am 100% reading WAY too much into this. My heartrate is elevated to an unhealthy level.

But if Tom Ryan is back in the fold, he wants a big name. He wanted Pitino last time, no one listened to him. He was right. Athletics now had the longest 4 year time out ever given. I have to believe that if he's coming back into the fold, he wants big name and he wants URI back to where Hurley had us.

Like you, I'm super intrigued by him just dropping Archie Miller whispers in the middle of the tweet. I'd love to know where those whispers are coming from, because like you said that part just doesn't seem to match with everything else in the tweet. Also, it's funny that posters on this board keep saying there's no shot of him coming here but a national writer doesn't seem to think that idea is farfetched at all, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned him at all
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I just hope the "whispers" he references aren't just the ones from us! :lol:
11 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I just hope the "whispers" he references aren't just the ones from us! :lol:
Hahahahah I had the same thought
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I just hope the "whispers" he references aren't just the ones from us! :lol:
This is exactly my thought as well.
2 x
Go Rhody
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Steve Lavin
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

As you all now - I typically don’t whisper anything - I typically shout things - or sing - so it wasn’t me

Just be thankful the tweet didn’t read.. “I’ve been hearing people SInging the praises of Archie Miller “
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Bashir Mason, Wagner: Mason was one of the hottest coaches in the country early in his tenure at Wagner, but then went through a couple of down seasons -- before bouncing back with a 13-5 NEC record last season and a 13-1 campaign this season. Despite being in charge of the Seahawks for 10 seasons, he's still only 38 years old.

James Jones, Yale: All Jones does is win, even if he's rarely linked to bigger jobs -- with the exception of St. John's a few years back. But Yale has a half-game lead on Princeton in the Ivy standings with two games remaining. If the Bulldogs win their final two games, it will be Jones' fifth conference title in the past seven Ivy seasons and potentially their fourth NCAA tournament appearance over that stretch.

John Becker, Vermont: At some point, Becker has to get a bigger job, right? He's been linked with jobs for years, given his outrageous levels of success with the Catamounts. Becker has won at least a share of six straight regular-season titles in the America East and has also won four conference tournaments during his tenure.

Jared Grasso, Bryant: After developing a reputation as a terrific recruiter during his time as an assistant coach under Tim Cluess at Iona, Grasso struggled for a couple seasons as the head coach at Bryant. But he's found his footing and has the Bulldogs on Wagner's heels in the NEC. He's recruiting transfers at a high level and is well-connected in the Northeast.

Others who could move: Casey Alexander, Belmont; Matt Langel, Colgate; Darian DeVries, Drake; Chris Jans, New Mexico State; Dustin Kerns, Appalachian State; Dana Ford, Missouri State; Ritchie McKay, Liberty; Preston Spradlin, Morehead State; Robert Jones, Norfolk State; Austin Claunch, Nicholls

Is it just me or do none of these guys sound exciting? I think coaching is important, but we need to get to the level where we have some type of recruiting presence whether it is the head coach or the staff. I think we need to go that Jim Harrick route with a coach we wouldn’t normally be able to get or probably Archie Miller.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Steve Lavin
….interesting, when I see him on FS1, I think the same thing, but has he not had enough of the sidelines rather than the booth…..?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Bashir Mason, Wagner: Mason was one of the hottest coaches in the country early in his tenure at Wagner, but then went through a couple of down seasons -- before bouncing back with a 13-5 NEC record last season and a 13-1 campaign this season. Despite being in charge of the Seahawks for 10 seasons, he's still only 38 years old.

Is it just me or do none of these guys sound exciting? I think coaching is important, but we need to get to the level where we have some type of recruiting presence whether it is the head coach or the staff. I think we need to go that Jim Harrick route with a coach we wouldn’t normally be able to get or probably Archie Miller.
It's not just you.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Sure, I'd take him, but I also think that if he wants to get back into coaching again, he probably doesn't have to "settle" for the mid-major level. He was last seen at St. John's, getting them to the NCAA tournament twice in five years. He took seven years off after UCLA to take the St. John's job. I think he's probably pretty content to just stay a broadcaster.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Sure, I'd take him, but I also think that if he wants to get back into coaching again, he probably doesn't have to "settle" for the mid-major level. He was last seen at St. John's, getting them to the NCAA tournament twice in five years. He took seven years off after UCLA to take the St. John's job. I think he's probably pretty content to just stay a broadcaster.
Who knows? I think Lavin would make a lot of sense for URI. I would sign up for his tenure at St. John’s in a second. Two NCAA trips, Two NIT appearances in 5 seasons. He made them a contender again, and that is a tough school to win at.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago
Who knows? I think Lavin would make a lot of sense for URI. I would sign up for his tenure at St. John’s in a second. Two NCAA trips, Two NIT appearances in 5 seasons. He made them a contender again, and that is a tough school to win at.
I know, but what I'm saying is that I think most people also think he did a good job at St. John's. As a result, he can probably "make" himself a contender for most Power conference jobs, if he wants one. I'm not sure why he would want to coach at URI.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

St. John's was a contender under Lavin? They were? The guy has only had 1 team in his entire coaching career that finished better than 3rd place...his first UCLA team won the PAC-10. Beyond that, he had all this supposed great NBA talent he's recruited and never built a big time winner. His team's were wildly inconsistent. That's why he's been fired by major programs.

I like Lavin as a broadcaster. I think he does an outstanding job. Knowledgeable, pleasant, informative, good sense of humor. That's where he should stay.
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

St. John's was a contender under Lavin? They were? The guy has only had 1 team in his entire coaching career that finished better than 3rd place...his first UCLA team won the PAC-10. Beyond that, he had all this supposed great NBA talent he's recruited and never built a big time winner. His team's were wildly inconsistent. That's why he's been fired by major programs.

I like Lavin as a broadcaster. I think he does an outstanding job. Knowledgeable, pleasant, informative, good sense of humor. That's where he should stay.
Please take a lap
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

A lot of mediocre choices here just because they're head coaches who don't need training.
Grab Kimani Young before someone else does!
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago A lot of mediocre choices here just because they're head coaches who don't need training.
I think there is a 0.00001 percent chance that Thorr is going to have Cox's replacement be a second Hurley assistant. Like, I'd bet on Bobby Hurley before that happening, and I think Bobby is a less than 1 percent chance kind of thing.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago A lot of mediocre choices here just because they're head coaches who don't need training.
I think there is a 0.00001 percent chance that Thorr is going to have Cox's replacement be a second Hurley assistant. Like, I'd bet on Bobby Hurley before that happening, and I think Bobby is a less than 1 percent chance kind of thing.
Why?
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago
Why?
Nothing gets my motor going like an Iggy post in a coaching thread.

And I agree. What about how Thorr Bjorn has gone about his job here would lead you to believe he isn’t the most prepared guy in the room?
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why?
I agree with Steve. On both Kimani and Bobby.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

What did I miss? RE: Ryan back in fold.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I agree with Steve. On both Kimani and Bobby.
We would take a pass on an associate head coach at a Top 25 team with deep NY recruiting ties and a great reputation because a Hurley assistant failed at URI? Thankfully Thorr doesn't subscribe to that kind of logic.
Last edited by SGreenwell 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Iggy, Archie Miller would be a great hire. Great coach and experienced. Thoughts?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

What did I miss? RE: Ryan back in fold.
Doesn’t seem like he’s been donating since we didn’t get Pitino.

If we’re going with the theory that Cox is gone end of year, that means buyout. Ryan is the head of the Foundation. If we’re playing this fun scenario down the road, a buyout means he’d have to approve.

Doubt he’d approved without having a heavy hand in the replacement.

All complete speculation based on nothing but a Borzello tweet, but it would make sense Ryan would want a big name like Archie.

Ive been wrong plenty. But this conspiracy theory is keeping me going today so I’ll run with it.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

i am not being negative,just realistic---money for dc buyout; money to give tammi a good increase

then allocate 2or more million for archie;wheres the money? even at that figure he would probably take the maryland or louiseville job if offered
0 x