2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Bos8 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I'm guessing 2,000 in the transfer portal this year. No problem getting players for a new coach.
I would be surprised if it is that high, but who knows you could be right.

The problem is getting the right players.
The problem is hiring the right coach. Not getting players.

I don't think you can have one without the other. It's about the Johnnies and Joe's not the X's and O's.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Seeing a lot of people bang the drum for Cooley to Maryland. Doesn't seem like a good fit to me but who knows.
I could see the Florida Gators making a run at Cooley once they move on from Mike White.

The SEC has seen an infusion of high quality coaches the last few years - Pearl, Musselman, Oats, Buzz Williams. I would expect Florida to go big this time after the White flop.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Seeing a lot of people bang the drum for Cooley to Maryland. Doesn't seem like a good fit to me but who knows.
Bring back the flex since gave them their only national title.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cooley is definitely going to be a target.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Another opening may be Georgetown.
Aside from their miracle run in the BE tournament last season, Ewing hasn't done anything there.
So far he is 0-11 in conference play this season.
His conference record the past 5 seasons is 26-55.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bringing back an alumnus as head coach doesn't work out more often than not......
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Bringing back an alumnus as head coach doesn't work out more often than not......
Certainly, didn't work out for Chris Mullen at St. Johns or Eddie Jordan at Rutgers.

Maybe it will turn out differently for Mike Woodson at Indiana.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A lot of us wanted to see Preston come back as HC.......

Not now...we can't afford to hire someone with no HC experience.

Although I would not have a problem with him returning as an assistant.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Illinois State is 11-15 (4-9) in the MVC.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wait a second. Everyone has been saying you can't fire a coach mid season. What up with this?????
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

….. I think the Maine job is the poster boy of a coaches ego thinking I will be the one that fixes this………
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ….. I think the Maine job is the poster boy of a coaches ego thinking I will be the one that fixes this………
Illinois State?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ….. I think the Maine job is the poster boy of a coaches ego thinking I will be the one that fixes this………
Illinois State?
…..on a regional basis, nationwide there are doubt lots of them…….but the oversized ego of some of these guys clouds their decision making…….I will bet, few make it work in Loserville…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Illinois State?
…..on a regional basis, nationwide there are doubt lots of them…….but the oversized ego of some of these guys clouds their decision making…….I will bet, few make it work in Loserville…….
So can we fire Cox now?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Illinois State?
So can we fire Cox now?
They "mutually agreed to part ways". That's usually how the midseason departures happen, so unless Cox is willing to do the same it remains highly unlikely.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
So can we fire Cox now?
They "mutually agreed to part ways". That's usually how the midseason departures happen, so unless Cox is willing to do the same it remains highly unlikely.
To corroborate Adam's point, the Chris Mack and Mark Turgeon situations were initiated by the coaches. Mack and Turgeon went to their ADs and said things aren't working out and asked to negotiated buy-outs. Can't say for certain if the Maine and Seattle situations are the same because nobody is reporting on these low profile schools.

If we use the Maryland and Louisville examples, it would take self-awareness and humility from Cox to approach Thorr and ask to negotiate a buy-out and step down.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

So can we fire Cox now?
To corroborate Adam's point, the Chris Mack and Mark Turgeon situations were initiated by the coaches. Mack and Turgeon went to their ADs and said things aren't working out and asked to negotiated buy-outs. Can't say for certain if the Maine and Seattle situations are the same because nobody is reporting on these low profile schools.

If we use the Maryland and Louisville examples, it would take self-awareness and humility from Cox to approach Thorr and ask to negotiate a buy-out and step down.
……yes, exactly……..I had offered this scenario awhile back as a path forward……for all we now this discussion may have been initiated, I doubt it……..wait and see I guess……I am afraid we are looking at a discussion for another year to give the Coach and the Mitchell’s one more chance to catch lightning in a bottle…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

……yes, exactly……..I had offered this scenario awhile back as a path forward……for all we now this discussion may have been initiated, I doubt it……..wait and see I guess……I am afraid we are looking at a discussion for another year to give the Coach and the Mitchell’s one more chance to catch lightning in a bottle…….
Here is Maine article

“After many conversations with Coach Barron regarding the direction of our men’s basketball program, we have agreed that a new voice is needed to lead the team,” AD Ken Ralph said in the release. “Although a change in leadership is always a difficult situation, we agree that this decision is in the best interest of our student-athletes. Richard has approached every day with passion and energy during his time in Orono. We thank Coach Barron for all of his hard work over his 11 years at the University of Maine and wish him and his family all of the best in the next phase of their lives.”

Maine is currently just 5-20 (2-12) on the season with four regular season games and the America East Tournament remaining on the schedule. The team will be led in the interim by assistant coach Jai Steadman…..

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/maine-r ... r-seasons/
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I understand why you feel this way, until it's officially announced there's always the worry it won't happen, but I don't see it. Last year we were 10th, right now we're sitting 11th if the season ended today. You just can't have basketball have back to back years like that if you're Thorr, not in the 3rd and 4th year of a coach, the budget of the athletic department doesn't allow it
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

I understand why you feel this way, until it's officially announced there's always the worry it won't happen, but I don't see it. Last year we were 10th, right now we're sitting 11th if the season ended today. You just can't have basketball have back to back years like that if you're Thorr, not in the 3rd and 4th year of a coach, the budget of the athletic department doesn't allow it
Attendance drives the bus. Remember almost 50% of Cox's package is a guarantee paid from gate receipts. Meaning if we're underwater in gate income, the athletic department will have to take out a loan from the Foundation. The Foundation that happens to by run by a Mr Thomas M Ryan. I can't imagine things are great between him and the basketball program at the moment.

The Ryan Center has been more empty for the men in the last few games than in the last decade. If you model that out, next year would look to be an embarrassment because you would see the ticket sales start to resemble the actual gate of this year's games. They can't let that happen.

There can not be many/any Cox supporters at the moment in the donor ranks. I would bet he's out unless we make the dance.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Everything Rhowdy and Blue Man are saying is completely logical and makes absolute sense, but then there is always the thought in the back of my head..."but this is URI, so who knows".
6 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Illinois State?
Illinois State's coach is also coaching through the remainder of the season. So I'm not sure what is gained by them in terms of making the announcement now rather than later.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Everything Rhowdy and Blue Man are saying is completely logical and makes absolute sense, but then there is always the thought in the back of my head..."but this is URI, so who knows".
Believe me, I'm talking myself off the ledge constantly. There's just no way this can go on after this season. If it does, God help the entire athletic department, not just basketball
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago To corroborate Adam's point, the Chris Mack and Mark Turgeon situations were initiated by the coaches. Mack and Turgeon went to their ADs and said things aren't working out and asked to negotiated buy-outs. Can't say for certain if the Maine and Seattle situations are the same because nobody is reporting on these low profile schools.

Uninformed speculation: Remember that post-game conversation with Thorr Cox alluded to a couple weeks ago? Might have something like this:
Thorr: Dave, this doesn't seem to be working. Are you sure this is the right job for you?
Cox: Sure. Why?
Thorr: Because it's been four years and we're going in the wrong direction. One thing about sports is it's easy to evaluate -- you have concrete results, wins and losses.
Cox: But I've won all these games ...
Thorr: You've also lost a lot of games the metrics say you should have won.
Cox: So what are you saying?
Thorr: We're thinking about making a change. We can do this the graceful way or the hard way. We can announce that we've taken a long, hard look at our situation and come to the agreement that the best thing for all of us is to make a change at the end of this season. We'll pay you in full for the value of your contract and release you to find a better situation for you and your family.
Cox: I'm not ready to give up like that. We're close, there are just some things I need to fix.
Thorr: You'd better figure it out, and fast.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Illinois State?
Illinois State's coach is also coaching through the remainder of the season. So I'm not sure what is gained by them in terms of making the announcement now rather than later.
Wrong. ISU coach Dan Muller had second thoughts and is not finishing the season. His decision:
https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2022-02 ... his-firing

But as Northern Iowa coach Ben Jacobson said in the article that timing is odd. Usually, coaches are told privately that they're being fired at end of year and the terms of the buyout are then figured out. Then given the option to finish out or quit mid-season is given to the coach. Usually, they finish it out.

It's possible this has happened at URI. Certainly, Cox is not oblivious to what his record is and the struggles. He knows this is big business and you have to win to stay a float. It's a very tough business.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago To corroborate Adam's point, the Chris Mack and Mark Turgeon situations were initiated by the coaches. Mack and Turgeon went to their ADs and said things aren't working out and asked to negotiated buy-outs. Can't say for certain if the Maine and Seattle situations are the same because nobody is reporting on these low profile schools.

Uninformed speculation: Remember that post-game conversation with Thorr Cox alluded to a couple weeks ago? Might have something like this:
Thorr: Dave, this doesn't seem to be working. Are you sure this is the right job for you?
Thorr: Because it's been four years and we're going in the wrong direction. One thing about sports is it's easy to evaluate -- you have concrete results, wins and losses.
Thorr: We're thinking about making a change. We can do this the graceful way or the hard way. We can announce that we've taken a long, hard look at our situation and come to the agreement that the best thing for all of us is to make a change at the end of this season. We'll pay you in full for the value of your contract and release you to find a better situation for you and your family.
Cox: I'm not ready to give up like that. We're close, there are just some things I need to fix.
There are only two people that definitely know what was said in that conversation, and probably not a lot more that might know. That said, this is probably as good a guess as any. Thorr didn't stop Cox after the game and make him late to his postgame interview to chat about the weather
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago

By the way, I looked back, and the conversation between Thorr and Cox was after the UMass home game. We're 1-2 since that postgame chat
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

Illinois State?
Wrong. ISU coach Dan Muller had second thoughts and is not finishing the season. His decision:
https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2022-02 ... his-firing

But as Northern Iowa coach Ben Jacobson said in the article that timing is odd. Usually, coaches are told privately that they're being fired at end of year and the terms of the buyout are then figured out. Then given the option to finish out or quit mid-season is given to the coach. Usually, they finish it out.

It's possible this has happened at URI. Certainly, Cox is not oblivious to what his record is and the struggles. He knows this is big business and you have to win to stay a float. It's a very tough business.
Ben Jacobson was a hot coaching name at one time.
4X MVC coach of the year.
3X MVC reg. season champs
4X MVCT champs.
He has been to the Sweet 16 and is still relatively young.
Jacobson is another one of those Midwestern coaches probably deserving of a bigger job.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Will be interesting to see how Michigan handles this incident. Howard could be out.

The 1 minute 40 second video posted by Jeanna Trotman shows a lot. Davison is pretty hot and animated for Wisconsin.

I seem to remember we recruited Joe Krabbenhoft back in 2003, 2004. He is the Assistant Coach for Wisconsin who was on the receiving end of the Howard punch. He is a highly regarded Assistant Coach.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/will-juwan-howar ... oach-62894
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Will be interesting to see how Michigan handles this incident. Howard could be out.

The 1 minute 40 second video posted by Jeanna Trotman shows a lot. Davison is pretty hot and animated for Wisconsin.

I seem to remember we recruited Joe Krabbenhoft back in 2003, 2004. He is the Assistant Coach for Wisconsin who was on the receiving end of the Howard punch. He is a highly regarded Assistant Coach.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/will-juwan-howar ... oach-62894
Probably suspended for the rest of the season and post-season, doubt if he gets fired.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I see Dennis Gates as a young star in the coaching ranks.
He should be on many short lists for openings at higher level programs.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I see Dennis Gates as a young star in the coaching ranks.
He should be on many short lists for openings at higher level programs.
Would we go after him or will he be getting P6 offers ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

P6
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gates is exactly the kind of guy I root for. He’s a long time assistant, who finally got his chance (maybe later than he should have) and made the most of it.

Bashir Mason is the other guy I’m watching this off-season. He first won with players he inherited (and helped to recruit, as an assistant), then graduated those guys, reset a little, and won again. It’s the NEC, but it’s still an impressive resume.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago Gates is exactly the kind of guy I root for. He’s a long time assistant, who finally got his chance (maybe later than he should have) and made the most of it.

Bashir Mason is the other guy I’m watching this off-season. He first won with players he inherited (and helped to recruit, as an assistant), then graduated those guys, reset a little, and won again. It’s the NEC, but it’s still an impressive resume.
For the up and comers Gates would be at the top of my list.

I would put Bashir Mason right behind him, and just ahead of Robert Jones (Norfolk State).
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Robert Jones can bring Dana Tate with him..............
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago Robert Jones can bring Dana Tate with him..............
LOL
Actually, Tate not playing bad this season 9 pts (47%FG, 44%3PT) / 5 rebs.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Archie Miller.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gates sounds interesting I vaguely recall him playing for Cal just after Tony Gonzalez
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller is much better than what we have but really limited. Sean Miller is the star.
Yeah, the FBI loves Sean. Can we stop pining after criminals to coach the team?
It’s hard to avoid criminals in college basketball.

Archie is awful. Look at his teams at Indiana where he was over his head and the big run at Dayton came with a very fortunate roster that he would never assemble again there. He can take Dayton to the last eight teams but he can’t get Indiana to contend in the BIG10?? Sounds like a fluke.

He would be an obvious upgrade but he hit his ceiling at Dayton when he had to reload and again at Indiana.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller is much better than what we have but really limited. Sean Miller is the star.

Archie is awful. Look at his teams at Indiana where he was over his head and the big run at Dayton came with a very fortunate roster that he would never assemble again there. He can take Dayton to the last eight teams but he can’t get Indiana to contend in the BIG10?? Sounds like a fluke.

He would be an obvious upgrade but he hit his ceiling at Dayton when he had to reload and again at Indiana.
Wut?

He won 20+ games and made the dance every year after the elite 8 run. The next year after that run when he graduated the whole team they made the 2nd round.

He built Dayton into what they are.

At IU he turned the program around, in fairly short order. If not for Covid they were an NCAA team, then his team was decimated by injury.

I don’t care about a “fluke” judgement, even though Covid and injuries explain a lot of that. But he proved he can win in the A10. We play in the A10 we want to be the program he had at Dayton for 6 years.

He’s young enough where maybe he wants to stay at a place that invests in basketball.

Or maybe he wants to prove he can win again and go to another big school.

If he gets a big job again it’ll because he rebuilt us.

I’ll take that.

Maybe it’ll force some donors to invest again.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Wut?

He won 20+ games and made the dance every year after the elite 8 run. The next year after that run when he graduated the whole team they made the 2nd round.

At IU he turned the program around, in fairly short order. If not for Covid they were an NCAA team, then his team was decimated by injury.

I don’t care about a “fluke” judgement, even though Covid and injuries explain a lot of that. But he proved he can win in the A10. We play in the A10 we want to be the program he had at Dayton for 6 years.

He’s young enough where maybe he wants to stay at a place that invests in basketball.

I’ll take that.

I definitely agree with BlueMan.

We would be very lucky and happy if we can land Archie.

He was extremely successful at our level and had some bad breaks at Indiana.

Archie can coach, period.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Wut?

I’ll take that.

I definitely agree with BlueMan.

We would be very lucky and happy if we can land Archie.

He was extremely successful at our level and had some bad breaks at Indiana.

Archie can coach, period.
Might I also say, that 2015 team Archie brought to the 2nd round after the whole elite 8 team graduated, was given a trash seed in the first four with a NET of 32.

They won 2 games that year to get to the 2nd round.

We’d be lucky and it would signal that we wanted to be a big time program if we got Archie.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

From ESPN's coaching carousel article

Atlantic 10: The A-10 job that seems to have the most buzz of late is Rhode Island, with the Rams losing nine of their past 10 games with zero NCAA tournament appearances since David Cox took over in 2018.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -seat-next
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Wut?

I’ll take that.

Agree with the larger point - Archie would be great here.

Rebuilding IU is a stretch - in the last 3 Tom Crean years, they went to the tournament twice (including a S16) and then to the NIT. Archie more or less maintained that. IU canned Crean because they're stuck in the past and making the tournament/"only" reaching the S16 isn't successful enough. They canned Archie because he was Crean 2.0.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Wut?

I’ll take that.

Rebuilding IU is a stretch - in the last 3 Tom Crean years, they went to the tournament twice (including a S16) and then to the NIT. Archie more or less maintained that. IU canned Crean because they're stuck in the past and making the tournament/"only" reaching the S16 isn't successful enough. They canned Archie because he was Crean 2.0.
IU would've danced if not for the Covid cancellation in '20. In '21 his whole roster was hurt.

What IU did is what would've been firing Hurley for not making it in '15 when EC got hurt.

That '20 team had some big wins (Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, Florida State, top 10 Penn State) and beat the brakes off Nebraska in the first game of the B1G tournament before Covid cancelled it. They were going dancing.

In '21 Indiana played down the stretch missing 2/5 starters. Disappointing season by IU standards, and he was 0-7 against Purdue.

Give me his attitude, his pack-line D, his name, his recruiting ability, and what he did at Dayton. That man is a program builder. Give me that.

GIVE ME THAT MAN.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Wut?

I’ll take that.

IU would've danced if not for the Covid cancellation in '20. In '21 his whole roster was hurt.

What IU did is what would've been firing Hurley for not making it in '15 when EC got hurt.

That '20 team had some big wins (Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, Florida State, top 10 Penn State) and beat the brakes off Nebraska in the first game of the B1G tournament before Covid cancelled it. They were going dancing.

In '21 Indiana played down the stretch missing 2/5 starters. Disappointing season by IU standards, and he was 0-7 against Purdue.

Give me his attitude, his pack-line D, his name, his recruiting ability, and what he did at Dayton. That man is a program builder. Give me that.

GIVE ME THAT MAN.
Yes, I want him here too. Just wanted to point out that IU wasn't in shambles when he took over and he maintained what most other schools would consider successful. He was fired by deluded donors who think it's the 70s and IU is still a blue blood.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Absolutely just say YES to Archie Miller , at the top of the wish list
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x