David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago Can anyone give me a single reason why Thorr is waiting until the end of the season?
I hate to answer a question with a question, but what tangible benefits would URI reap by making a move now? Other than making some of us here happy?
I think you could make an argument that Cox is hindering Thomas' development, so maybe having Bozeman handle things the rest of the way could be beneficial there. Not really a huge thing, but something to think about
I could see that, although I think a lot of Thomas' development is going to come over this summer.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Can anyone give me a single reason why Thorr is waiting until the end of the season?
I hate to answer a question with a question, but what tangible benefits would URI reap by making a move now? Other than making some of us here happy?
I think you could make an argument that Cox is hindering Thomas' development, so maybe having Bozeman handle things the rest of the way could be beneficial there. Not really a huge thing, but something to think about

So two weeks under different management is somehow going to suddenly turn around and significantly impact his development?
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

So two weeks under different management is somehow going to suddenly turn around and significantly impact his development?
Look at how Cox is treating him right now. I don't think it's going to be significant, but I'd rather start at or above his foundation then having to rebuild his foundation. His treatment could kill his confidence leading into an off-season where he's already going to have to rebuild his shot. And considering there's no real benefit from keeping Cox, I don't see an issue.

As long as Cox as gone by the end of business March 15th, we'll be fine as a program
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

Look at how Cox is treating him right now. I don't think it's going to be significant, but I'd rather start at or above his foundation then having to rebuild his foundation. His treatment could kill his confidence leading into an off-season where he's already going to have to rebuild his shot. And considering there's no real benefit from keeping Cox, I don't see an issue.

As long as Cox as gone by the end of business March 15th, we'll be fine as a program
It's clear what's happening. I would bet based on this skid, there are already things in motion behind the scenes on identifying the new coach.

Firing Cox now doesn't do anything but illustrate that URI will make a firing midseason and not even give you the chance to compete for a tournament birth in your first contract. As an institution, URI doesn't have many selling points to a basketball coach (investments, facilities, etc) - but what we can sell is lower expectations in the sense that our fanbase/athletic department will support you and be happy with improvement towards success, and not demand a second weekend NCAA run every single year. Firing a coach before the conclusion of the season pokes a hole in that selling point.

As for the players and their development? Two weeks won't change or impact anything. Nothing an assistant coach or Cox would do/not do would be noticeable. Players develop in months to years, not weeks.

There is not a single player on this roster that can't be replaced for a rebuild. Certainly ones that could be built into something more than others, but there's no Lamar Odom we need to keep.

Bassy is a great story but there's a reason he was unrecruited. Should've been a juco. Could eventually become a serviceable PG, but he is nowhere near the level of basketball player to be a significant contributor at the A-10 level. The rest of our backcourt is just so devoid of BBIQ or a true PG skillset that everyone acts like he's the second coming of Dowtin.

Have faith in Thorr. The right guy will be hired at the right time, and he will bring the right players. Period.
12 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Keep Cox..get rid of the momma Mitchell
Et al......save some money......recruit hard to upgrade via transfer.....or maybe move cox over to an front office recruiting type job
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

class of 86 wrote: 2 years ago Keep Cox..get rid of the momma Mitchell
Et al......save some money......recruit hard to upgrade via transfer.....or maybe move cox over to an front office recruiting type job
…….mother Mitchell is not the problem…….the rep that DC as the great recruiter is tarnished…….they come then transfer, those that stay underachieve……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The players appear to be good citizens off the court. Do the players want Cox to stay? These are factors to consider when terminating a coach mid-contract. Fans are very results oriented. This is not all that matters to administrators.
who gives a fuck what the kids think! who's running the ship? the players? god I hope not.

Fuck that noise.

players play. coaches coach, refs ref, administrators administrate.

the players feelings.... BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA cry me a god damn river
You’re being baited into saying stuff like “fuck their feelings” about our own players. R72 knows very well that this is not middle school hoops and his post is not serious. You’re better off ignoring it.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

class of 86 wrote: 2 years ago Keep Cox..get rid of the momma Mitchell
No
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

No argument here that Cox should be replaced. But, unless you want a reputation as a bad AD, you do not treat good people badly. It hasn't worked out for Cox at URI just as it didn't work out for Belichick in Cleveland, his first head coach job. The negatives for Cox here far out-weigh the positives. Too many posters here fail to recognize any positives and are incensed if anyone does mention them.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago No argument here that Cox should be replaced. But, unless you want a reputation as a bad AD, you do not treat good people badly. It hasn't worked out for Cox at URI just as it didn't work out for Belichick in Cleveland, his first head coach job. The negatives for Cox here far out-weigh the positives. Too many posters here fail to recognize any positives and are incensed if anyone does mention them.
My daughter wants Apple B's for dinner. I hate Apple B's, but I'm buying Apple B's.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
My daughter wants Apple B's for dinner. I hate Apple B's, but I'm buying Apple B's.
I agree with you and have done the same.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago No argument here that Cox should be replaced. But, unless you want a reputation as a bad AD, you do not treat good people badly. It hasn't worked out for Cox at URI just as it didn't work out for Belichick in Cleveland, his first head coach job. The negatives for Cox here far out-weigh the positives. Too many posters here fail to recognize any positives and are incensed if anyone does mention them.
Please list the positives Cox’s teams have done in these four years.

I’m not talking about graduation rates, kids on campus, etc.

What have his teams on the court done that have been positive?

Yes he had a double digit win streak two years ago, and beat PC in that same year, only to falter down the stretch.

What else has he done?
1 x
Go Rhody
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

ITT: DNFTT
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Thorr already fired an inept coach. I think his reputation is fine.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago ITT: DNFTT
I know. sometimes I forget
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I also hate that restaurant, but sometimes I think of their soggy nachos and sodium-filled salads.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

I also hate that restaurant, but sometimes I think of their soggy nachos and sodium-filled salads.
I got a mixed drink there with a shark gummy in it.

That was cool.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Absolutely zero people in my personal network -family, best friends, friends, former colleagues, current colleagues, acquaintances I've met, hairstylists, neighbors, doctor, no one is looking for Cox to be back next year. We are talking about some people with minimal basketball knowledge.

My mother loves football and basketball - she's 74 in a few weeks. She told me she's never seen a coach act the way Cox does on the sidelines. Moms know best.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

That was cool.
Was it intentional or unintentional?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That was cool.
Food came and my sandwich was pretty good actually. Doordash did a good job. I'm gonna order an Archie Miller next to be delivered to the RC.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

That was cool.
Intentional! Some kind of ocean themed bs.

They're a corporate mess
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

That was cool.
Food came and my sandwich was pretty good actually. Doordash did a good job. I'm gonna order an Archie Miller next to be delivered to the RC.
Yeah I'd put an Archie Miller in my mouth at this point too...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would be great to get Archie M to URI don’t know how realistic it is but it can’t hurt for Thorr to make a phone call
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think it's realistic. He's a great coach and would come in knowing the A10. He runs a clean ship and has a great resume. Would be a home run hire.
5 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Cox being fired is probably already a forgone conclusion. The only question now is the timing of it. I looked back at 2012 to see when Jim Baron was let go. It appears that Thorr confirmed his departure on Sunday, March 4th. This was the day after the URI season ended. Rhody had failed to qualify for the 2012 A-10 Tournament which was to begin at campus sites on Tuesday, March 6th. Its last game was therefore the regular season finale.

Conferences generally do not like other news to upstage their tournaments. That is sometimes why many terminations wait until after the league champion has been crowned. I myself could care less about the feelings and wishes of the A-10 and say screw any courtesies. The league has typically not been very sensitive and accommodating to URI. I therefore would like the decision to be immediately made within 24 hours of the last game played by our Rams. Waiting does nothing to help URI.
When the official announcement is made is irrelevant. Day after the last game...day after A10 tourney...day after Selection Sunday. We're talking a few days difference for the official axing announcement. Maybe he lets Cox meet with his team before making the public announcement. Considering how well-liked David Cox, I think Thorr will do everything he can to make sure that he's treated as best as possible on the way out the door. This announcement timing will not impact the hiring of a coach who will be hopefully be in Kingston for years. Nobody is hiring coaches right now...as coaches wait-n-see to find out what jobs will open up.

Most AD's have a short list of potential coaching candidates, for all sports, that they keep handy in their desk drawer (figuratively) in the event that a coach leaves or they have to let one go. I would think Thorr is contacting coaches' agents now...sending out feelers...talking to those in-the-know of college hoops (sorry folks, this board of posters is not considered that).
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I think it's realistic. He's a great coach and would come in knowing the A10. He runs a clean ship and has a great resume. Would be a home run hire.
He's won in the A-10 at the highest level and he's seen Rhody do it too. Would be easy for him to think he could succeed here.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Would be great to get Archie M to URI don’t know how realistic it is but it can’t hurt for Thorr to make a phone call

this sounds familiar !

Make the call !

again tho - it’s a done deal

I gotta feeling …

Uh oh … I did it again..

I gotta feelin'
My head's a reelin'
My heart is screamin'
I'm about to bust loose
Bottled up emotion
It's more than a notion
It starts with an “A” and ends with a “e”
I gotta feelin'
You're feelin' it, too
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Please list the positives Cox’s teams have done in these four years.

I’m not talking about graduation rates, kids on campus, etc.

What have his teams on the court done that have been positive?

Yes he had a double digit win streak two years ago, and beat PC in that same year, only to falter down the stretch.

What else has he done?
HIs graduation rate is actually horrendous.... so he's done nothing.
1 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I think it's realistic. He's a great coach and would come in knowing the A10. He runs a clean ship and has a great resume. Would be a home run hire.
No doubt another Home run if Thorr can pull this off
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

That was cool.
Intentional! Some kind of ocean themed bs.

They're a corporate mess
Fancy like…
2 straws 1 check
Girl i got u
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Cox being fired is probably already a forgone conclusion. The only question now is the timing of it. I looked back at 2012 to see when Jim Baron was let go. It appears that Thorr confirmed his departure on Sunday, March 4th. This was the day after the URI season ended. Rhody had failed to qualify for the 2012 A-10 Tournament which was to begin at campus sites on Tuesday, March 6th. Its last game was therefore the regular season finale.

Conferences generally do not like other news to upstage their tournaments. That is sometimes why many terminations wait until after the league champion has been crowned. I myself could care less about the feelings and wishes of the A-10 and say screw any courtesies. The league has typically not been very sensitive and accommodating to URI. I therefore would like the decision to be immediately made within 24 hours of the last game played by our Rams. Waiting does nothing to help URI.
When the official announcement is made is irrelevant. Day after the last game...day after A10 tourney...day after Selection Sunday. We're talking a few days difference for the official axing announcement. Maybe he lets Cox meet with his team before making the public announcement. Considering how well-liked David Cox, I think Thorr will do everything he can to make sure that he's treated as best as possible on the way out the door. This announcement timing will not impact the hiring of a coach who will be hopefully be in Kingston for years. Nobody is hiring coaches right now...as coaches wait-n-see to find out what jobs will open up.

Most AD's have a short list of potential coaching candidates, for all sports, that they keep handy in their desk drawer (figuratively) in the event that a coach leaves or they have to let one go. I would think Thorr is contacting coaches' agents now...sending out feelers...talking to those in-the-know of college hoops (sorry folks, this board of posters is not considered that).
The way this thing will most likely end as you mentioned is the decision will become public a few days after the season is over and they will say Cox and URI have mutually agreed to go their separate ways or do some type of spin not to rub it in on Cox. I don’t think it is their style compared to the bigger schools like power 5 that say hit the road you are fired. They will put the URI has appreciated all of David Cox hard work, but we have both agreed to go our separate ways. As long as they hire a new coach I don’t care what they do
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Watching PC in OT. It is insane how bad URI is at basketball. I’m not renewing my season Tix.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This is such an underrated post by you in that you managed to compare Cox to Belichick.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago Absolutely zero people in my personal network -family, best friends, friends, former colleagues, current colleagues, acquaintances I've met, hairstylists, neighbors, doctor, no one is looking for Cox to be back next year. We are talking about some people with minimal basketball knowledge.

My mother loves football and basketball - she's 74 in a few weeks. She told me she's never seen a coach act the way Cox does on the sidelines. Moms know best.
Your mom's a smart cookie. And once you've lost the hairstylists ... well, let's just say it's time to leave town.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
This is such an underrated post by you in that you managed to compare Cox to Belichick.
What's the problem? They're both coaches, aren't they? 🤓
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I’ll take an ECR take:

Something has to change
Undeniable dilemma
Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I went to dreaded Friars game tonight. Actually ate and had a drink there in late afternoon. Incredible atmosphere whether you hate them or not. I'm actually envious. But, in Kingston we have a guy, "a nice guy" that isn't qualified to coach a CYO team
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I went to dreaded Friars game tonight. Actually ate and had a drink there in late afternoon. Incredible atmosphere whether you hate them or not. I'm actually envious. But, in Kingston we have a guy, "a nice guy" that isn't qualified to coach a CYO team
…..yep, just got back from the Dump, great game, the atmosphere in the building is something we will neva have……..we all have out anti PC feelings, for one reason or another……..but our games, even with some winning down the road with new coach, are gonna need an inject of juice, much juice to create a great home court…….it ain’t gonna happen on its own………
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Ew. You both need to shower with bleach and a wire brush.
8 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Ew. You both need to shower with bleach and a wire brush.
I didn’t go, but god forbid people want to go watch a good college basketball game, in a sold out arena. in their own state. Shame on them.
5 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Ew. You both need to shower with bleach and a wire brush.
I didn’t go, but god forbid people want to go watch a good college basketball game, in a sold out arena. in their own state. Shame on them.
Imagine looking at PC with that view, instead of looking at URI saying “why don’t we have those same expectations for ourselves?”

What PC is doing is a direct result of their expectations and investments.

What URI is doing is the same.

See if you can spot the problem.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just stand under the leak
7 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Is Al Durham still not a difference maker for them?
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Is Al Durham still not a difference maker for them?
haha
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Imagine looking at PC with that view, instead of looking at URI saying “why don’t we have those same expectations for ourselves?”

I hate them as much as the next guy and want them to go 0-30 every season, but also can completely understand Rhody fans wanting to go watch a NCAA second weekend contender in their own state with a great atmosphere.
1 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
He's not comparing them as coaches. He's comparing the situations of being let go.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I hate them as much as the next guy and want them to go 0-30 every season, but also can completely understand Rhody fans wanting to go watch a NCAA second weekend contender in their own state with a great atmosphere and a leaky roof
Ha ha,

So let's see now:
  • 7pm PC vs Xavier at the Dunk - "to go watch a NCAA second week contender in their own state with a great atmosphere" as per Rhody15 (and a leaky roof)
OR
  • 7pm URI WBB vs St Bonaventure WBB at the Ryan Center on Senior Night along with 1,346 loyal URI Fans including friends and family of the URI Seniors plus HC Tammi Reiss and Staff, Thorr Bjorn and President Marc Parlange for the recognition ceremony
  • Going to a record of 22-4, 12-1 Conference, last home game of the season, huge game with1st place Dayton Feb 26 2pm. URI NET= 50, in the bubble for the NCAA Tournament.
  • Maybe the idea of loyalty and saying thanks might creep into the decision process?
gee, that's a tough one :roll:

CCA2AFC9-F98F-42D2-AA00-9CB8511BF6A5.jpeg
5C92FD99-BED0-48F8-940F-872A4B6F41C5.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I hate them as much as the next guy and want them to go 0-30 every season, but also can completely understand Rhody fans wanting to go watch a NCAA second weekend contender in their own state with a great atmosphere and a leaky roof
Ha ha,

So let's see now:
  • 7pm PC vs Xavier at the Dunk - "to go watch a NCAA second week contender in their own state with a great atmosphere" as per Rhody15 (and a leaky roof)
OR
  • 7pm URI WBB vs St Bonaventure WBB at the Ryan Center on Senior Night along with 1,346 loyal URI Fans including friends and family of the URI Seniors plus HC Tammi Reiss and Staff, Thorr Bjorn and President Marc Parlange for the recognition ceremony
Going to a record of 22-4, 12-1 Conference, last home game of the season, huge game with1st place Dayton Feb 26 2pm. URI NET= 50, in the bubble for the NCAA Tournament.

To each is own.

Wouldn’t blame people for doing either one.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ha ha,

So let's see now:
OR
Going to a record of 22-4, 12-1 Conference, last home game of the season, huge game with1st place Dayton Feb 26 2pm. URI NET= 50, in the bubble for the NCAA Tournament.

To each is own.

Not surprised one bit. Wouldn't have expected anything else from you.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

:cry:

Ha ha,

So let's see now:
OR

To each is own.

Not surprised one bit. Wouldn't have expected anything else from you.
Also, probably 90% of the people at the women’s game last night were bandwagon fans, kind of the exact opposite of “loyal” as you said.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but let’s not call last nights crowd loyal when this season, and last, they averaged what, like 250 people?
1 x
Go Rhody