Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Head coach speculation for 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago This is my pick

LOL, not a chance Ramster.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Just going by what the fan said.

They loved South County.

We have a possible opening.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Just going by what the fan said.

They loved South County.

We have a possible opening.
I wonder how much beer was consumed by that fan.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Reasonably sure this was just a joke.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago If Archie Miller wants to coach here, then fine. I'm with you. But I guess John Belein is not fine in your opinion because he doesn't excite you on day one. I'd prefer URI not hire a slime-ball coach. You want one of those?...then go root for those schools.
John Beilein is a bizarre example to use - He didn't survive a full year with the Cavs for calling his own players "thugs" and allegedly worse. I'm with you in that I don't think URI needs to hire a coach with baggage, though.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Reasonably sure this was just a joke.
Same, I thought it was just a URI fan making a joke.
4 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

How much is Kimani Young making at UCONN?

316,588.00. As an Associate HC
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I already mentioned Bashir Mason as who I think it should be. But I am going to throw in a longshot candidate into the mix so in case it does happen I can take credit for it by having it posted here. :lol: :lol:

I am going to say Kevin Kuwik, an assistant coach from Davidson. Prior to the game in Kingston a couple weeks ago him & Thorr were chatting at halfcourt for about 10-15 minutes as the teams were warming up about 40 minutes before tipoff. Hmmmm :)
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago I already mentioned Bashir Mason as who I think it should be. But I am going to throw in a longshot candidate into the mix so in case it does happen I can take credit for it by having it posted here. :lol: :lol:

I am going to say Kevin Kuwik, an assistant coach from Davidson. Prior to the game in Kingston a couple weeks ago him & Thorr were chatting at halfcourt for about 10-15 minutes as the teams were warming up about 40 minutes before tipoff. Hmmmm :)
Interesting long shot candidate Spookydog. Graduated Notre Dame Mechanical Engineering. McKillop says he is ready to be a head coach.
https://davidsonwildcats.com/sports/men ... kuwik/1079
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago I already mentioned Bashir Mason as who I think it should be. But I am going to throw in a longshot candidate into the mix so in case it does happen I can take credit for it by having it posted here. :lol: :lol:

You are reading much more into it than what it was, probably not even on our radar.

I do like Bashir Mason a lot, but I hope they try and reach a little higher.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Would love to see Lamar as an assistant here.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Get his ass to Kingston. Head coach? Maybe, but there has to be a spot for him some place. Can you imagine the hype?
2 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Get his ass to Kingston. Head coach? Maybe, but there has to be a spot for him some place. Can you imagine the hype?
……..not as HC…….seems way way out there for me……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

It sounds crazy but I wouldn’t be totally opposed to it. It would definitely put a spotlight on URI hoops nationally and would probably attract a few recruits out of our league. Whether that actually translates to winning or is just a complete disaster is probably 30/70 slanted towards disaster.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Interesting resume and no obvious ties to Thorr to explain the conversation, though he's been in the A10 for quite awhile. I'm not as absolute in the no head coach that doesn't have head coaching experience opinion as others, but at a certain point we do have to wonder if the problem isn't the assistants we're elevating and it's actually we don't have the infrastructure for a first time coach to succeed
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Anyone that wants Lamar Odom back here in a management and leadership coaching role needs to have their head examined. You want someone with all his past issues and baggage to be in charge of young impressionable basketball players? No thank you. My only desire to see Lamar in Kingston is in the form of a visit. Thankfully, bachelors degrees are required for coaching jobs making this fantasy a moot point.
6 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I love this. Not LO as head coach, that's insane, but just the fact that he's interested enough in URI to be pissed that we suck.
11 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Anyone that wants Lamar Odom back here in a management and leadership coaching role needs to have their head examined. You want someone with all his past issues and baggage to be in charge of young impressionable basketball players? No thank you. My only desire to see Lamar in Kingston is in the form of a visit. Thankfully, bachelors degrees are required for coaching jobs making this fantasy a moot point.
I mean that's a few degrees meaner than I would've been. I love Lamar, but just about everyone on this board doing the early postmortem on Cox's tenure has said the fact that he had never had an HC position at any level should've been a red flag. IFAIK Lamar hasn't even been an assistant on like an AAU team, let alone run a program. That in itself should be enough to dismiss this as just talk. But still, I'm really glad he's even aware of us, another person speaking publicly about how we're shitting the bed is another brick in the wall against the admin doing nothing in March.
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Do we not believe in redemption?

I’m not sure I would hold his past against him. Sometimes people with pasts like that end up being great roll models and can relate and connect on a deeper level. But I have not been keeping tabs on him and do not know his current situation, that would have to be thoroughly vetted.

It would be a gamble, players have had mixed results. Penny and Ewing come to mind right now.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Holy crap stockholm syndrome.

I'm assuming we're posting these in jokes. I love Lamar. Love what he did here as a player. Love that he comes back. Love that he still cares.

Lamar has a lot of well-documented and public issues. We're all rooting for him to continue to get better and want the best for him. I'd love if he came back as some type of assistant/ambassador. But giving him the keys to the kingdom because of a soundbyte? All set.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah the Lamar stuff shouldn't be taken seriously, for no other reason then his lack of experience with what it takes to run a D1 basketball program. But to have your most famous/prominent former player on TV talking about how bad things are going is just another thing to add to the list of where we're at and what needs to be done.
9 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

The Lamar stuff is fun and fun publicity, but I don't think anyone truly believes he should be the next HC.
5 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago If Archie Miller wants to coach here, then fine. I'm with you. But I guess John Belein is not fine in your opinion because he doesn't excite you on day one. I'd prefer URI not hire a slime-ball coach. You want one of those?...then go root for those schools.
John Beilein is a bizarre example to use - He didn't survive a full year with the Cavs for calling his own players "thugs" and allegedly worse. I'm with you in that I don't think URI needs to hire a coach with baggage, though.
I'm not saying John Belein is interested in URI or is coming to Kingston. I used John Belein simply as an example of somebody who doesn't win the press conference...doesn't excite recruits...doesn't fire up alums...is a little bit dry. But he won games, a lot of them.

(I'm not going to read too much into his days coaching the Cavs. Bad decision by him. Bad decision by the Cavs. Never a good fit. His usage of the word thugs instead of slugs was just an excuse for the players to run the asylum by running off the coach. He immediately apologized. Not much to the story. Call me naive but I never realized that thugs had a racial connotation. The Philadelphia Flyers of the 70's were thuggish, Chris Nilan of the Canadiens, Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn were all thugs.)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah the Lamar stuff shouldn't be taken seriously, for no other reason then his lack of experience with what it takes to run a D1 basketball program. But to have your most famous/prominent former player on TV talking about how bad things are going is just another thing to add to the list of where we're at and what needs to be done.
It can be hard to pinpoint rock bottom in the middle of a death spiral, but if last night wasn't rock bottom I'm afraid to see what that would look like. On the same night a former player said that we're bad on Entertainment Tonight we lost by 18 points for our ninth loss in ten games
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

It is similar to a Penny Hardaway situation in Memphis with less experience and more baggage. One thing you couldn’t argue with is the fact that it bring us attention. We are a nothing right now in the college basketball landscape. It would be nice if we got him as an assistant to recruit some top 100 players
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

All in on Lamar. Keep Bozeman with him and watch the recruiting class fall in line. We live in an instagram kardashian world. think about all the young guys who would want to play for him.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah the Lamar stuff shouldn't be taken seriously, for no other reason then his lack of experience with what it takes to run a D1 basketball program. But to have your most famous/prominent former player on TV talking about how bad things are going is just another thing to add to the list of where we're at and what needs to be done.
It can be hard to pinpoint rock bottom in the middle of a death spiral, but if last night wasn't rock bottom I'm afraid to see what that would look like. On the same night a former player said that we're bad on Entertainment Tonight we lost by 18 points for our ninth loss in ten games

The GW loss was way worse than last night.

Coming into the season we would’ve expected to beat GW and lose to the Bonnie’s at their place.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea, Lamar would bring in top talent and would hype the hell out of this program. Still need a real coach, but not many schools have this type of opportunity to have him join the staff in SOME way.
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago I love this. Not LO as head coach, that's insane, but just the fact that he's interested enough in URI to be pissed that we suck.
THIS
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i am all in on Lamar donating money to hire archie miller !
6 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Thank god people saying they are all in on Lamar don’t make these types of decision. My freakin God! Lamar paying attention and connected to the program is great. Maybe somewhere down the line he could be an assistant candidate. But you simply have no idea what it takes to be a successful D1 coach if you give his sound bite any sort of consideration.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..imagine LO sitting in a recruits living room to close the deal for URI……..no, I can’t…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Thank god people saying they are all in on Lamar don’t make these types of decision. My freakin God! Lamar paying attention and connected to the program is great. Maybe somewhere down the line he could be an assistant candidate. But you simply have no idea what it takes to be a successful D1 coach if you give his sound bite any sort of consideration.
I’m just glad he gave the program/coach bad publicity. No chance he’d be here as a head coach.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Do any of those Kardashian/Jenner girls have kids who play basketball? They would probably come here with Lamar. Maybe we could get Kanye too to be Lamar's top assistant.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Do any of those Kardashian/Jenner girls have kids who play basketball? They would probably come here with Lamar. Maybe we could get Kanye too to be Lamar's top assistant.
Pete Davidson DBO
5 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Tom Crean.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Tom Crean.
He has a job but not for long. Stay away from Crean.
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
We would be lucky to even interview him if he’s fired from Georgia.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This was a great take on Lamar. Hey...at least we're becoming relevant in pop culture again!

I mean sure, not because of winning and because of suck - but no press is bad press!

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/340 ... head-coach
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago This was a great take on Lamar. Hey...at least we're becoming relevant in pop culture again!

I mean sure, not because of winning and because of suck - but no press is bad press!

They talked about how bad URI basketball is on Entertainment Tonight. This is both a new high and a new low.
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago
Crean at A10 level may be a good fit, I mentioned him earlier.
I mean how many coaches will be available that have been to the Final 4 and 3 Sweet 16's.

But again probably won't happen.
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Lamar at Head Coach will never happen at this time. However, I think Thorr should reach out to him and discuss other ways of him helping the program. Maybe as an assistant coach, an advisor, who knows… get creative. We’ve paid others to sit by the bench doing nothing in the past (and to a certain extent still do). It wouldn’t hurt the the program and could kickstart the program again.
3 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

before considering lamar ,imo i would think preston murphy ,tyson wheeler or ard
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago This was a great take on Lamar. Hey...at least we're becoming relevant in pop culture again!

He got one thing right. Those jerseys were Awesome!!!
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago

Crean at A10 level may be a good fit, I mentioned him earlier.
I mean how many coaches will be available that have been to the Final 4 and 3 Sweet 16's.

But again probably won't happen.

On a side note, if I recall correctly, he was a finalist for the job along with Tim O'Shea back in 97 before Jim Harrick threw his name in the mix. He was Tom Izzo's too assistant at the time.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Although I doubt anyone on this board would want him, another big or popular name that will be out there is Danny Manning. Although he had a rough go of it at Wake, he was a very hot name in the coaching world after a couple of good years and tournament appearances atTulsa. Even at Wake his 2016 team was young, good and looked like they were ready to turn the corner with John Collins, when Collins decided to go pro. This interim year at Maryland I would throw out , as he was thrown into a mess. And though I realize most posters do not seem to care about any roster retention, you would think the twins, and other guys as well would be more likely to stay with a guy like him.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yaaaas Lamar!

Can you imagine the circus around here?? LOL

In a dimension where Lamar hasn't been overdosing on penis pills and smoking Crack with hookers

We could totally trust him to bring us back to glory!

Really awesome he cares though!

I think we are under estimating how motivated the people are behind the scenes.

This shit hurts! LO probably started to pay attention again after we made it to the tournament. It's still fresh in all of our minds to the point where LO, who never said a word about Rhody after leaving is talking about us!
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Pretty wild he decided to throw Four McGlynn in there as one of the most 3 most recognizable Rhody players ever when he was here for 20 minutes and a cup of coffee.
4 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

He got one thing right. Those jerseys were Awesome!!!
Can we please bring back Keaney lettering for home jerseys and white lettering for the keaney jerseys?
5 x