HISTORY - "Basket Wizards" A 1944 Newsreel about URI Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

HISTORY - "Basket Wizards" A 1944 Newsreel about URI Basketball

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Hey all, a while ago I was sniffing around the URI Libraries' various websites and found this video. It is a slightly wonky but extremely serviceable digital copy of a newsreel from 1944 about the 43-44 Rhode Island State College basketball team.

I found it pretty incredible. I had never seen anything approaching this length of an audio or video recording of the team from this period, although I am always looking. It provides a great look at the campus, Rodman, Keaney himself as well as the team featuring a young Ernie Calverley. It also features real game footage from a game versus St. John's at MSG. Beyond its value to people interested in URI or Rhode Island places and people, it is also an interesting document of where basketball was at in its development at this time.

I assumed that I must just be late to the party and that everyone had already seen this. Similar to the two Woodward books, I thought maybe it was just part of the Rhody basketball "oeuvre" that fans just knew about. In fact, a production still showing the filming of the short is featured in the 2002 Arcadia Press book ("Runnin' Rams: University of Rhode Island Basketball"). After talking to a friend who is a die hard Rhody basketball fan and URI history enthusiast I realized fewer people might have seen it than I thought. A few Google searches confirmed that relatively little is out there relating to the film.

The page I found it on was somewhat obscure, and it was only a link to download the .avi file of the capture. It appears to be a slightly crude video recording of a projection of a print of the film. The audio on the original is pretty lousy. It is mono but panned right in stereo and has a really loud hiss, possibly from the camera used to shoot the screen. Once I realized that a lot of people hadn't seen this, I decided to clean up the audio and put it on Youtube. I did as little as possible to the original clip, and didn't re-encode the video from the original capture. I ran a slight correction for the hiss, then exported a mono pcm file to fix the panned sound. Then I remuxed my new audio file to the original video from the URI Library site. The hiss isn't gone entirely but it's much more listenable now without degrading the original audio and spending days touching up what was already a relatively low-quality capture.

It appears that Pathe News, the company that produced this, was owned by RKO at the time. It was likely one of many "slice of life" newsreels produced during the war to be shown to homesick troops overseas. They mention the low male enrollment at the time, again likely due to the war. Calverley himself would have recently returned from the Army Air Force, where he was discharged after five months in service after they discovered he had a heart murmur.

The game shown is from January 8th, 1944. Although the final score is conspicuously absent from the film, RISC lost to St. John's 58-48. Two years later they would find much more success at the Garden, with Ernie Calverley's "shot heard round the world", where they beat Bowling Green on the way to the NIT title game. One year after that, a Calverley led team would finally defeat St. John's at MSG 54-50 in January 1947.

I hope you guys enjoy this, I was extremely excited when I first found it, even with the notion that it was "old news" to other fans. I am always on the hunt for old Rhody radio recordings, TV clips or film strips but seem to often come up short. This clip has definitely encouraged me to take a trip to campus sometime soon to see what else I can unearth. If I find anything I'll obviously share anything cool here. Even if this is the extent of obscure Rhody media in the collection though, I still think it's a pretty cool memento that made at least this Rhody fan feel temporarily transported back to a part of URI history.
10 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: HISTORY - "Basket Wizards" A 1944 Newsreel about URI Basketball

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's a miracle that our team scored so many points with that weird 2 handed set shot. Since Ernie led the country in scoring, you'd think more players would have used his more modern day type of shot.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good find Puck , a must watch for all URI diehards like us

Amazing how the game has changed since 44
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago It's a miracle that our team scored so many points with that weird 2 handed set shot. Since Ernie led the country in scoring, you'd think more players would have used his more modern day type of shot.
That's true. The narrator refers to it as a "Western Style" shot. I wonder how common it was by that time? It makes me realize my knowledge of the history of the game is pretty lacking.

Also kind of begs the question where a kid from Pawtucket is learning "Western Basketball" in an era before TV/regular widespread footage of basketball games. I mean even if he'd seen it in another newsreel as a kid, you're actually putting eyes on it maybe once, twice? It's not quite like rewatching a Youtube tutorial until you can nail it.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The video messed with my settings.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This is absolutely wonderful!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Wow! Thanks for excavating and sharing this.

This is exactly the kind of thing our fans should see. Wonder if it could be shown before a game or at halftime?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….sure, I am sure the +/- 1000 in the building will love it……ouch……maybe next year as part of BBB……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Wow! Thanks for excavating and sharing this.

This is exactly the kind of thing our fans should see. Wonder if it could be shown before a game or at halftime?
Its very interesting- but probably not show at an arena interesting
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Would be cool to at least weave some of it into our marketing/game day production
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Would be cool to at least weave some of it into our marketing/game day production
……Thorr put it on his phone, and show it to coaches in their interviews…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thanks, that's an amazing video! 18,000 fans at MSG to watch Rhode Island State College play St. Johns! Ernie Calverly shooting daggers from downtown! Coach Cox should watch this so he can learn a few things. For instance, basketball games are won by putting the ball through the hoop the most number of times.
Last edited by PeteRI 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….and the importance of free throws……..thanks for finding and posting, brought to life many things I was told about…….my father was on the Kearney roster in late 1930’s………go Rhody……
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Puck Frovidence
ARD

I found the picture of the production in that Arcadia book.

As you can see, this is real "fly-on-the-wall" stuff. Completely non-invasive filming process back then.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great find Puck Providence. I did not even notice any hum in the background when I watched the video.

Never knew about putting the smaller hoop inside the regular size hoop for improving Free Throw Shooting accuracy. It's great to not just read about the idea but actually see video like this showing the smaller hoop actually in the process of being installed inside the larger hoop.

The smaller hoop must improve focus. You must try harder. I notice what a nice arc Jeremy Sheppard has on his FTs. I'd bet the smaller hoop would force players to put more arc on their FT attempts and then that would carry over into the game itself. Sounds crazy but if I were David Cox I'd get the URI Maintenance/Engineering Department fabricating a few of these small, inner hoops pronto. I'd show the team the video and incorporate the history of the school into the story. Then make a game or competition with the inside hoop. Who is the best? Announce a winner of the Frank Keaney FT Shooting contest.

In fact, Tammi Reiss could do the same thing with the WBB Team.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We aren’t really a bad free throw shooting team but moreso the Mitchells are bad free throw shooters and they take the highest volume. Sheppard, Leggett, Martin, El Amin and Carey are all above 70%.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The Mitchells would break that smaller hoop.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is good to be reminded that we once had a a team known for its high scoring, crisp passing, great free throw shooting, and strong work ethic and discipline.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago We aren’t really a bad free throw shooting team but moreso the Mitchells are bad free throw shooters and they take the highest volume. Sheppard, Leggett, Martin, El Amin and Carey are all above 70%.
The try it with the Mitchell's only then? And why be satisfied with being above 70? Let the 70 become 75 then 80. Let the 90 become 95.

I'd love to have seen Jimmy Baron shoot with the inner hoop. For all I know maybe he did.

I think Cox or an Assistant Coach could weave some URI history into a practice showing them this film, then take the group over Tootell West where the inner hoops were already installed and make a game out of it but also addressing one of the Team's greatest weaknesses. Make it fun with a trophy for the winner but then a week after using the inner hoops have another contest for most improved with a trophy. Leave the inner hoop so that the guys can practice with it on their own too.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago We aren’t really a bad free throw shooting team but moreso the Mitchells are bad free throw shooters and they take the highest volume. Sheppard, Leggett, Martin, El Amin and Carey are all above 70%.
The try it with the Mitchell's only then? And why be satisfied with being above 70? Let the 70 become 75 then 80. Let the 90 become 95.

I'd love to have seen Jimmy Baron shoot with the inner hoop. For all I know maybe he did.

I think Cox or an Assistant Coach could weave some URI history into a practice showing them this film, then take the group over Tootell West where the inner hoops were already installed and make a game out of it but also addressing one of the Team's greatest weaknesses. Make it fun with a trophy for the winner but then a week after using the inner hoops have another contest for most improved with a trophy. Leave the inner hoop so that the guys can practice with it on their own too.
Maybe some ice cream too!!!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

try anything
If Frank Keaney gave ice cream give ice cream
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The Mitchells would break that smaller hoop.
They have to hit it first.
4 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The sound was fine, especially for film that old.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Most good shooters utilize a similar methodology by not counting misses that hit rim. So only swishes or basically only shots that would go in an inner rim. I do like the idea of creating one of these if nothing else than to celebrate our heritage and if it’s ever used great but almost think it’s a relic in a new practice facility meant to look like an artifact. But again we are just not good at marketing nor with drawing upon our history and heritage. Next season will be the 25th and 35th anniversary of the two greatest Rhody teams in my lifetime (88 and 98)…will we do anything to celebrate that? Especially the 98 team - bring back Tyson, Cat, ARD, Luther and Preston. It would be a huge event.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Most good shooters utilize a similar methodology by not counting misses that hit rim. So only swishes or basically only shots that would go in an inner rim. I do like the idea of creating one of these if nothing else than to celebrate our heritage and if it’s ever used great but almost think it’s a relic in a new practice facility meant to look like an artifact. But again we are just not good at marketing nor with drawing upon our history and heritage. Next season will be the 25th and 35th anniversary of the two greatest Rhody teams in my lifetime (88 and 98)…will we do anything to celebrate that? Especially the 98 team - bring back Tyson, Cat, ARD, Luther and Preston. It would be a huge event.
I'd love to see Sly for the 45th too.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

My dad was at URI in the early 40’s. He peeled potatoes in the morning to get a ticket for a Saturday game at Rodman. He would sit in the balcony with his feet hanging over. He was also at the garden for Ernie’s shot- and you wonder where my insanity came from.
7 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Congratulations. This is genuinely the funniest post I have ever seen here.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago

Congratulations. This is genuinely the funniest post I have ever seen here.
Glad you liked it.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jimmy shot in the dark. Jimmy shot at 3 am. Jimmy shot in a box. Jimmy shot with a fox. Jimmy shot here and there. Jimmy shot everywhere.

Muscle memory.

The reason Jimmy Baron is one of the greatest shooters in college basketball history, and greatest free throw shooters in college basketball history, is because he is one of the greatest workers in college basketball history.

All free throw shooting is, is the result of practice.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Jimmy shot in the dark. Jimmy shot at 3 am. Jimmy shot in a box. Jimmy shot with a fox. Jimmy shot here and there. Jimmy shot everywhere.

Muscle memory.

The reason Jimmy Baron is one of the greatest shooters in college basketball history, and greatest free throw shooters in college basketball history, is because he is one of the greatest workers in college basketball history.

All free throw shooting is, is the result of practice.
In a game situation with pressure, fans, etc there is also a massive mental aspect. I think that is mostly where our calamities lie. The Mitchells form is fine; they shouldn’t be 50% free throw shooters.
0 x