David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by rjv »

Please raise your hand if at this point in the season you thought we would be 1 game back of UMASS and Fordham in the standings!!!!!!!!!!

That's all you need to know. Who is on the search committee. Forget the committee, Thorr hire a new coach period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..we are bigly pigly………..
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Here is some perspective on the recent contract buyouts for URI Men's Head Basketball Coaches:

2012 - URI pays out $1.1M to terminate HC Jim Baron
2018 - URI is paid $1.5M by HC Dan Hurley to terminate his contract and go to UConn
2022 - Per the original David Cox five year contract, URI would only pay out his guaranteed base salary of $300K to terminate him

$300K to buy out Cox is peanuts compared to the last two buyout scenarios. That is not even considering the present value of money today compared to these previous years. If you just factored in the dollars with no present value calculation, URI would still be ahead by $100K if it bought out Cox.
7 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

For many years intercollegiate athletics has been a "tub on it own bottom". Perhaps there is a "sugar daddy" out there. I doubt the Foundation would provide "buy-out" money. Maybe things have changed since I was involved.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Like at least he’s not Juwan Howard but he’s put together one of the collectively most hatable, least connected teams that I can remember.

Not only is their play embarrassing, but the behavior of the Mitchell’s is shameful to watch and tougher to support.

I know he’s a nice guy and genuinely love him as a person and will wish him the absolute best when he leaves, but what he’s allowed to happen to this program is unconscionable.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago For many years intercollegiate athletics has been a "tub on it own bottom". Perhaps there is a "sugar daddy" out there. I doubt the Foundation would provide "buy-out" money. Maybe things have changed since I was involved.

My guess is you’ve never really taken a 👀 at who donates to this program.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

“Hearts and not farts” - ECR, February 2022
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Ha - a few too
Many limoncellos tonight !

But
I
Make
It
From
Scratch
So
It’s
Damn
Good

URI “hearts not farts, WE DO” !
Let’s swap recipes next time Rhody is good. I’m trying to experiment with cream but can’t get it right.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I’ll never have the comedic maturity level to not laugh hysterically at fart jokes, fart scenarios, fart stories, etc.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

But
I
Make
It
From
Scratch
So
It’s
Damn
Good

Let’s swap recipes next time Rhody is good. I’m trying to experiment with cream but can’t get it right.

Yeah, here too. I’d love the recipe as well.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

But
I
Make
It
From
Scratch
So
It’s
Damn
Good

I use grain alcohol

Google my boy david rocco limoncello

That’s the one I use but in bigger batches
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Salute !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago For many years intercollegiate athletics has been a "tub on it own bottom". Perhaps there is a "sugar daddy" out of there. I doubt the Foundation would provide "buy-out" money. Maybe things have changed since I was involved.
How were you involved 72?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago For many years intercollegiate athletics has been a "tub on it own bottom". Perhaps there is a "sugar daddy" out of there. I doubt the Foundation would provide "buy-out" money. Maybe things have changed since I was involved.
How were you involved 72?
He knows talent when he sees it so he hired everyone in the URI athletic department.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

But
I
Make
It
From
Scratch
So
It’s
Damn
Good

I use grain alcohol

Agreed, grain is the way to go. Pistachio cream limoncello is probably my favorite. I started making it from scratch when covid hit, so easy.

Definitely will check out that recipe ECR
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Am I remembering correctly that when we fired Baron in 2012 Thorr was allowed to skip a lot of the search committee and other red tape garbage that we’ve seen both in previous hires and since then even with respect to hiring assistants, and he was empowered to just identify Dan and move on that without the charade of posting the job in the classified section and interviewing 27 people?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Am I remembering correctly that when we fired Baron in 2012 Thorr was allowed to skip a lot of the search committee and other red tape garbage that we’ve seen both in previous hires and since then even with respect to hiring assistants, and he was empowered to just identify Dan and move on that without the charade of posting the job in the classified section and interviewing 27 people?
I pray to god we don’t use a “search firm” if we fire Cox.

Shouldn’t a qualification for an AD be to identify potential head coaching candidates?!

Plus with all Thorr’s connections, no way he should hire a search firm.
3 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……yes, let’s hope so……..and must fast track this through the often clumsy state HR requirements, postings , wait periods…….as someone stated earlier………no big on campus wide search committee either, couple of Athletic Department folks, President etc………no paralysis by analysis…….get the HR required boxes checked……..and then bingo……..gotten quick to not rushing………but the probable announcement is a ways off yet……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I've heard Thorr tell the story a couple of times now:

Shane Donaldson came in Thorr's office and put a sheet of paper with Tammi Reiss' info on it and said "This is who we should go after"
Thorr then called Tammi for a 45 minute call to explore her interest
Thorr went to Syracuse and had breakfast with Tammi regarding the job. Thorr was sold on Tammi and Tammi was sold on Thorr and URI.

Done. That quick and simple.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I've heard Thorr tell the story a couple of times now:

Shane Donaldson came in Thorr's office and put a sheet of paper with Tammi Reiss' info on it and said "This is who we should go after"
Thorr went to Syracuse and had breakfast with Tammi regarding the job. Thorr was sold on Tammi and Tammi was sold on Thorr and URI.

Thorr had the money to hire Tammi.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I've heard Thorr tell the story a couple of times now:

Let’s hope for the next mens hire it goes something like this with the most qualified candidate
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If I remember the story right, it was something pretty similar with Hurley. Thorr identified Hurley as the top candidate to go after, met him in a Jersey diner, and the deal was done shortly after
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

Thorr had the money to hire Tammi.
Thorr had the money to hire Pitino. Your point?
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago For many years intercollegiate athletics has been a "tub on it own bottom". Perhaps there is a "sugar daddy" out there. I doubt the Foundation would provide "buy-out" money. Maybe things have changed since I was involved.
Hahah…This post made my day.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Pitino was dirty at that time. Thorr wouldn't touch him even though Tom Ryan offered to help. Tammi wasn't dirty.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Pitino was dirty at that time. Thorr wouldn't touch him even though Tom Ryan offered to help. Tammi wasn't dirty.
It wasn’t Thorr, but thanks for playing!
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

I use grain alcohol

Agreed, grain is the way to go. Pistachio cream limoncello is probably my favorite. I started making it from scratch when covid hit, so easy.

Definitely will check out that recipe ECR

Wait. What. Pistachio cream?? I definitely need this recipe.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Am I remembering correctly that when we fired Baron in 2012 Thorr was allowed to skip a lot of the search committee and other red tape garbage that we’ve seen both in previous hires and since then even with respect to hiring assistants, and he was empowered to just identify Dan and move on that without the charade of posting the job in the classified section and interviewing 27 people?
I pray to god we don’t use a “search firm” if we fire Cox.

Shouldn’t a qualification for an AD be to identify potential head coaching candidates?!

Plus with all Thorr’s connections, no way he should hire a search firm.

The university HR process is so archaic they use a “search committee” to even hire an administrative assistant for $35k a year. Or “word processing typists” as DOA calls it. All that means is they take a handful of people in the department to say yay or nay.

Athletics is different, for a high profile position it’s obviously Thor, Marc, some provosts, high end donors, etc. prob a panel of 7 or 8 tbh.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I legit think 72 has never even set foot on campus.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I legit think 72 has never even set foot on campus.
He's never set foot on campus and he probably types with his feet.

I'm just wondering why he suddenly talks so much on here now.

He used to say one crazy thing a week and now he's Bidenbabbeling on the daily.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..Pamphlet has an article on the Rams season, with a few fans being quoted……written by Mark Patinkin…….oh, the pain……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..Pamphlet has an article on the Rams season, with a few fans being quoted……written by Mark Patinkin…….oh, the pain……
Interviewed, including their pictures in the paper:
Domenic Coletta - PC Fan
Lincoln Almond
Frank Caruso
Bob Terino
Jay Coppa
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Way to go Jay! But Patinkin completely omitted the Big Team on Campus - our Lady Rams!
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Talk about a new low…a non sports writer writing about how bad your season is and how soul crushing it is.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

“This,” Bob Terino says, “has been a horrendous experience for all who support this program.”

BuT ThErE's No MoNeY!!!!

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -NLETTER65
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Talk about a new low…a non sports writer writing about how bad your season is and how soul crushing it is.
Not ideal to have a story such as this especially with it contrasting the opposite situation at your local longtime rival. It however does add more pressure on Thorr for a change.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Talk about a new low…a non sports writer writing about how bad your season is and how soul crushing it is.
Not ideal to have a story such as this especially with it contrasting the opposite situation at your local longtime rival. It however does add more pressure on Thorr for a change.
i mean this is the exact press needed for a change
7 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
…….yep, I would say perfect timing…….the Patinkin piece with our newsreel of what was…….and what we can build back to……
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Truth
0 x
:lol:
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

can someone post the article?
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. I think it is ideal to have such a story. Be honest. Tell it like it is. No sugarcoating. Quotations from 5 people: Frank Caruso, Bob Terino and Jay Coppa all long time Rhody diehard fans sharing their inner thoughts yet still a slight hint of optimism from Jay, plus Lincoln Almond who was the Governor during the Harrick years and helped enable the Ryan Center (leans towards URI) and then to show the contrast a long time PC Fan who, rightfully so, is now in his glory. The contrast between the two programs at this moment in time is as wide as it has been in who knows when.

Look no further than the honest, true attendance at games (not the Box Score stated attendance). At the Dunk there are likely zero, or very close to zero, unfilled seats and announced attendance is equal to actual physical bodies and then at the Ryan where probably only 25% to 50% of actual announced box score attendance has corresponding actual physical bodies in the building.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 2 years ago can someone post the article?
DItto.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Already did, but here it is again

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -NLETTER65
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DItto.
I believe you must be a subscriber to the Projo to be able to open the article.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DItto.
I believe you must be a subscriber to the Projo.
People have copied and pasted articles behind a paywall before, was hoping someone would do it again.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Posting anymore than a few quotes is a definite no no. I already posted a quote from Bob Terino when I posted the link the first time
1 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

New to the message board but it's great to see so many people talking Rhody Hoops. I've read a chunk of this thread and one thing I have not noticed anyone talking about the lack of development from any player during the Cox era. Fatts Russel regressed. Jeff Dowtin was moved off ball and regressed. Leggett showed promise last year but is playing worse this year. The twins decision making process has never improved. Our shooting numbers get worse year after year. Malik Martin is a worse player than he was at Charlotte. Hurley was not the best in game coach either but you saw individual players get better and capitalize on opportunities, if David Cox isn't going to grab top of the conference recruiting classes(which he isn't) there's really no point to him being here.
5 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Posting anymore than a few quotes is a definite no no. I already posted a quote from Bob Terino when I posted the link the first time
Hahaha wouldn’t expect anything less from you.

According to you, we can’t hire a coach who’s not 100% squeaky clean since birth, and can’t post an article behind a paywall when it’s been done before.

Too predictable.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's $22 for a two year subscription to the Journal. Maybe you should pursue that instead of being a dickhead yet again
6 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DItto.
I believe you must be a subscriber to the Projo.
People have copied and pasted articles behind a paywall before, was hoping someone would do it again.
The people who run this board have repeatedly asked people not to do that and have edited and removed such posts. It doesn’t seem too much to ask to have people follow their rules since they’re providing the space. It’s also a perfectly reasonable guideline for a public space. There are ways to get the article that don’t put them in such a bad position.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x