2/19 | George Washington | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: 2/19 | George Washington | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by PeteRI »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Couldn't find any Cox Quotes™ following this steaming garbage pile of a game.
No context, but here's what the Journal had today:

“It is frustrating. First of all, our defense wasn’t right in the first half,” said Cox, who is from nearby Landover, Maryland. “We showed up in the second half, but that (defense) is an issue. But the biggest issue in the first half was the turnovers and missing a few free throws.”

“They did a really good job of spacing us out,” Cox said of the GW offense. “We got beat off the bounce too many times.”

"Backbreaker,” Cox said of that late trey. “We should have come up with that ball; they out-hustled us."

“We had some pretty good looks. Out of those 13, I would say some of those were pretty good looks. We have to shoot those with more confidence,” Cox said of the long shots.

“They out-willed us,” Cox said. “We knew about their perimeter offense. They just made some tough shots in the first half.”

So what is the message of Cox to his team? “Keep fighting,” he said.

“I have to digest this game first,” Cox said of the loss at GW.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I mean I get Bassy is the best PG on this team - but he is years away from being a capable player at this level.
Is there a reason that Bassy only played 5 minutes and was benched the entire 2nd half? Maybe it was that technical foul. Oh wait, that was Makhi. Maybe it was his 5 turnovers. Oh wait, that was Makhi too.
How he reacted to Bassey getting the ball taken away with his stomping and and screaming was awful, he never even talked to him. That is the time you should use some understanding, calmness and confidence building. He did the same thing against VCU. He threw him to the wolves with VCU defense and when he made three mistakes he yanked him which is understandable but not to play him again is ridiculous. Bassey is a freshman who was supposed to redshirt but worked hard enough to get on the active roster. Whether you like Thomas or not, that is not the way you handle mistakes especially for a young kid. Especially when you let the rest of the team run wild. It's appears he is doing everything he can to destroy his confidence. How do you think Thomas feels now anytime he's put into a game and anything he does is going to cause an outburst and a benching not anyway to play. Just another example of how Cox seems to have no feel for the game or the team concept
Last edited by giovanni 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Couldn't find any Cox Quotes™ following this steaming garbage pile of a game.
No context, but here's what the Journal had today:

“It is frustrating. First of all, our defense wasn’t right in the first half,” said Cox, who is from nearby Landover, Maryland. “We showed up in the second half, but that (defense) is an issue. But the biggest issue in the first half was the turnovers and missing a few free throws.”

“They did a really good job of spacing us out,” Cox said of the GW offense. “We got beat off the bounce too many times.”

"Backbreaker,” Cox said of that late trey. “We should have come up with that ball; they out-hustled us."

“We had some pretty good looks. Out of those 13, I would say some of those were pretty good looks. We have to shoot those with more confidence,” Cox said of the long shots.

“They out-willed us,” Cox said. “We knew about their perimeter offense. They just made some tough shots in the first half.”

So what is the message of Cox to his team? “Keep fighting,” he said.

“I have to digest this game first,” Cox said of the loss at GW.
You would think after " digesting" all these putrid performances Cox would have major indigestion and would walk away to insure his health
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I mean I get Bassy is the best PG on this team - but he is years away from being a capable player at this level.
Is there a reason that Bassy only played 5 minutes and was benched the entire 2nd half? Maybe it was that technical foul. Oh wait, that was Makhi. Maybe it was his 5 turnovers. Oh wait, that was Makhi too.
How he reacted to Bassey getting the ball taken away with his stomping and and screaming he never even talked to him that is the time you should use some understanding calmness and confidence building. He did the same thing against VCU. He threw him to the wolves with VCU defense and when he made three mistakes he yanked him which is understandable but not to play him again is ridiculous. Bassey is a freshman who was supposed to redshirt but worked hard enough to get on the active roster. Whether you like Thomas or not, that is not the way you handle mistakes especially for a young kid. Especially when you let the rest of the team run wild. It's appears he is doing everything he can to destroy his confidence. How do you think Thomas feels now anytime he's put into a game and anything he does is going to cause an outburst and a benching not anyway to play. Just another example of how Cox seems to have no feel for the game or the team concept
Great post. Wouldn't be surprised if Bassy bails next year because of Cox's ineptitude.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It's official, we suck. I feel horrible for Cox, I mean we have more talent than our record states and that is undoubtedly a coaching issue. I really wanted it to work for DC, but he really looks defeated roaming the sidelines. Great assistant coach, not quite ready to take a team to the promise land.
6 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Obi won the dunk contest.
We lost in order: our coach, obi's brother, and games against GW fordham umass (at home) and then another one to GW.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

How he reacted to Bassey getting the ball taken away with his stomping and and screaming was awful, he never even talked to him. That is the time you should use some understanding, calmness and confidence building. He did the same thing against VCU. He threw him to the wolves with VCU defense and when he made three mistakes he yanked him which is understandable but not to play him again is ridiculous. Bassey is a freshman who was supposed to redshirt but worked hard enough to get on the active roster. Whether you like Thomas or not, that is not the way you handle mistakes especially for a young kid. Especially when you let the rest of the team run wild. It's appears he is doing everything he can to destroy his confidence. How do you think Thomas feels now anytime he's put into a game and anything he does is going to cause an outburst and a benching not anyway to play. Just another example of how Cox seems to have no feel for the game or the team concept
I was one of the people that was less high on Thomas, but this is exactly right. In another lost season, for a player that was supposed to be redshirted, you need to be doing all you can to develop that player once you've decided to play them, yet Cox is actively stunting that development at this point. From never playing him with our most prolific three point shooter in Sheppard, to his handling at VCU, to yesterday, those are all things that will slow a point guard's development.

Also, if we're seeing these double standards in how players are handled, don't you think the players in the locker room are noticing even more? If you think that didn't have a lot to do with the constant roster churn at the beginning of Cox' tenure and the lack of team chemistry I don't know what to tell you
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

After this latest result, I think the moderators need to delete any posts that include “it’s all about the A10 tournament” or “we can get hot in the A10 tournament” (he says only half jokingly). Would anyone bet even a dollar at this point on Rhody even winning one game in the tournament? That’s even though this game will be against another bum team on Wednesday.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago After this latest result, I think the moderators need to delete any posts that include “it’s all about the A10 tournament” or “we can get hot in the A10 tournament” (he says only half jokingly). Would anyone bet even a dollar at this point on Rhody even winning one game in the tournament? That’s even though this game will be against another bum team on Wednesday.

Here are the current odds for each A10 Team to advance by rounds and odds to win the AQ. URI is 1.84% Chance to Win the AQ currently as of today.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/confer ... 0-bracket/
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
...the current odds for each A10 Team to advance by rounds and odds to win the AQ. URI is 1.84% Chance to Win the AQ currently as of today.
I'll take the under!!!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
...the current odds for each A10 Team to advance by rounds and odds to win the AQ. URI is 1.84% Chance to Win the AQ currently as of today.
I'll take the under!!!
That's the point, right? If you think there is no chance for URI to win the A10 then bet the house, car, etc etc. Put your money where you mouth is and take the chance to be swimming in cash. 1.84% is pretty high. Likely to go lower as the days count down to March 9. We will likely have to play 5 games to win out.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Obi won the dunk contest.
We lost in order: our coach, obi's brother, and games against GW fordham umass (at home) and then another one to GW.
Rudder,

What were your impressions being at the game in DC?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Rudder,

It was awful, defense was leaving open threes…
The turnovers and free throw misses…
Poor coaching, the body language, the technical foul…

We need a lot of work.

I haven’t been to 52 straight senior nights, but I’ve been to 20+ games a year since the RC opened as long as fans were allowed in, so lots of road games in there too, and things are as bad as they were when Baron’s teams gave up.
Not as bad as the Jerry D years, but we need a lot of work.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago “They did a really good job of spacing us out,” Cox said of the GW offense. “We got beat off the bounce too many times.”
It's like he *knows* that having both twins on the floor at the same time is bad, but he still does it anyway. It's mind-boggling.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
Rudder,

It was awful, defense was leaving open threes…
The turnovers and free throw misses…
Poor coaching, the body language, the technical foul…

We need a lot of work.

I haven’t been to 52 straight senior nights, but I’ve been to 20+ games a year since the RC opened as long as fans were allowed in, so lots of road games in there too, and things are as bad as they were when Baron’s teams gave up.
Not as bad as the Jerry D years, but we need a lot of work.
Rudder, Thanks for the feedback. A couple more questions if you will..........

What did you think about the Shirt in the Pants thing with Makhel? Could you hear what Makhel and the Ref were saying? And what did Makhi say and why did he get involved? URI Bench, Assistant Coaches and Cox reaction to the Tech? URI fan reaction?

Were there many other URI Alumni there? Anyone else make it down from Rhode Island? or where they more local Alumni?

How about families and friends of the players who are from the DMV area? Many there? and how were they responding?

Any recruiting prospects in attendance since we recruit predominantly the DMV?

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions, just curious.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

This is a very good point. Awful job when these could be great teaching opportunities for a team going nowhere anyway. His actions are like mine towards my kids on day four of Disney World in the sweltering heat.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

How he reacted to Bassey getting the ball taken away with his stomping and and screaming he never even talked to him that is the time you should use some understanding calmness and confidence building. He did the same thing against VCU. He threw him to the wolves with VCU defense and when he made three mistakes he yanked him which is understandable but not to play him again is ridiculous. Bassey is a freshman who was supposed to redshirt but worked hard enough to get on the active roster. Whether you like Thomas or not, that is not the way you handle mistakes especially for a young kid. Especially when you let the rest of the team run wild. It's appears he is doing everything he can to destroy his confidence. How do you think Thomas feels now anytime he's put into a game and anything he does is going to cause an outburst and a benching not anyway to play. Just another example of how Cox seems to have no feel for the game or the team concept
Great post. Wouldn't be surprised if Bassy bails next year because of Cox's ineptitude.
FWIW, I think the chances of Thomas transferring are pretty low. He clearly chose URI because of proximity, and given his line this year, I don't think he'll have the opportunity to go to higher school. At this point, I'm honestly not sure if I'd care that much if anyone transferred. Our best players are older and might be graduate transfers, which is an opportunity they "earn" to me, and our younger players either haven't shown a ton of promise or have badly regressed year-to-year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

FWIW, I think the chances of Thomas transferring are pretty low. He clearly chose URI because of proximity, and given his line this year, I don't think he'll have the opportunity to go to higher school. At this point, I'm honestly not sure if I'd care that much if anyone transferred. Our best players are older and might be graduate transfers, which is an opportunity they "earn" to me, and our younger players either haven't shown a ton of promise or have badly regressed year-to-year.
I think the point was that if Cox stays here, he might transfer. He seems to be Cox's whipping boy (his only one). I'm sure he could play at Bryant if he wanted to stay close to home.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Not sure what happened with the tech…
Was he telling Makhel to tuck his shirt in, and Makhi got the T?

I was pissed that we got fouled, and GW ended up getting a bigger lead!

There were lots of friends and family, but I didn’t know anyone…

Just shook my head in passing at halftime…

After the game i left and walked down G street swearing to myself
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

When we can say we're not sure we care who stays or goes (I feel the same way); it speaks volumes to the current state of the program. To me it's worse than anything during the Baron regime.
5 x